Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 49 12311 ... LastLast

7/31-8/2: Pirates (2-4) at Cubs (4-2) IGT

Pittsburgh Pirates vs. Chicago Cubs
    (2-4) (4-2)

Pitching Matchups:
    Friday, 7/31 @ 7:15 PM
    Trevor Williams (0-1, 7.36 ERA) vs. Yu Darvish (0-1, 6.75 ERA)
    vs.
    TV: Marquee Sports Network/Radio: 670 The Score

Saturday, 8/1 @ 7:15 PM
    Mitch Keller (1-0, 1.80 ERA) vs. Tyler Chatwood (1-0, 1.50 ERA)
    vs.

Sunday, 8/2 @ 5:40 PM
    Steven Brault (0-0, 0.00 ERA) vs. Jon Lester (1-0, 0.00 ERA)
    vs.

2016 World Series Champions!!!

I'm watching Cubs Countdown and it brought back a vivid memory. Whenever we had to leave the house during the Cubs game, I used to say the same thing every time. "After Sammy bats."

Quote Originally Posted by thawv View Post
    I'm watching Cubs Countdown and it brought back a vivid memory. Whenever we had to leave the house during the Cubs game, I used to say the same thing every time. "After Sammy bats."
    This brought back another memory for me. When our lineup was so bad it was, "After Starlin bats."
    Chicago CubsChicago BlackhawksBuffalo BillsSouthern Illinois University Salukis

Naomi OsakaAngelique KerberBianca Andreescu

Quote Originally Posted by Jack the Ripper View Post
    This brought back another memory for me. When our lineup was so bad it was, "After Starlin bats."
    I don't know if it's the bourbon, but I literally laughed out loud at this

Thank you!

Weird scheduling by MLB where the Astros are concerned. Off day on Thursday, Friday and Monday. You would think they didn't need to cram 60 games in to a short period of time.

How often has a MLB team had two straight off days in a traditional 162 game schedule? Not often is probably the answer.

Quote Originally Posted by JHBulls View Post
    Weird scheduling by MLB where the Astros are concerned. Off day on Thursday, Friday and Monday. You would think they didn't need to cram 60 games in to a short period of time.

How often has a MLB team had two straight off days in a traditional 162 game schedule? Not often is probably the answer.
    The Astros play the Angels Friday-Sunday.

In a more normal reality tomorrow would have been the trade deadline. The Cubs seemed to be planning to postpone the KB decision to July and very willing to blow it up at the deadline if the season wasn’t going well. I wonder where they’d be right now if not for COVID.

Quote Originally Posted by CP_414 View Post
    The Astros play the Angels Friday-Sunday.
    You’re right. That’s weird because the schedule I have right in front of me shows they played yesterday vs the Dodgers (Thursday over here, Wednesday for you) and their next game against the Angels is on Sunday (Saturday in the US).

I guess it should be a lesson to me, not to look at dodgy information on the internet.

In a more normal reality tomorrow would have been the trade deadline. The Cubs seemed to be planning to postpone the KB decision to July and very willing to blow it up at the deadline if the season wasn’t going well. I wonder where they’d be right now if not for COVID.
    Tough year for us, KB is one of our biggest assets and we may not be able to get much for him if he's not resigned, given the uncertainty about the 2021 season. One scenario could be to sign an extension & give him the big deal he'll get in FA but without a no-trade clause in case we want to deal him in future years. Just getting a compensation pick for him and letting him walk would be terrible.

If we have a full season next year and COVID isn't an issue by miracle, if KB can't be extended we have to trade him unless we're literally a 1st place powerhouse and look like we have a good shot at a WS. We could get a young franchise player(s) for KB that would be with us for the next 6 seasons on the cheap, there's no reason to give that up for one run at the playoffs if it will make our next 6 seasons weaker.

This is why isn't generally a bad idea to give up big young talent for a 3-month or 1-yr rental, unless you're a team like the 2016 Cubs with a great shot at a WS.
    Last edited by Stratos; 07-31-2020 at 01:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JHBulls View Post

And on a Friday too. Teams always play Fri, Sat, Sun. But if attendance doesn't matter I guess Fridays dont either LOL.

Probably trading off players because of the bullpen. I have no clue the direction going forward. Uncertainty with next year, though I think we will be able to play. We have the new CBA next offseason, so uncertainty for 2022. I guess it was promising the Dodgers felt comfortable locking up Mookie. I don’t know how we fix our bullpen though. The FO has shown no willingness to call up our best young pitchers so far (still early). I mean what do we do? We are just treading water with almost no guarantees there. I mean Wick is fine. Ryan is fine. Kimbrel is very concerning as well as just about everybody else. I guess Jeffress is okay... but there’s a ton of problems there. The rotation will be an issue moving forward as well. We lose Q, Chat, and possibly Lester as well after this year. We have a lot to work out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I thought about that too. In my head, somewhere a few games over or under .500, I imagine. Which, considering the division we play in, could mean we'd be in first place even, but either way it'd be some super annoying/close 3 or 4 team race. Most likely, we'd have just enough of a chance of winning the division that we couldn't consider punting the season, but we also still wouldn't be able to make any significant additions bc luxury tax.
    Last edited by La_bibbers; 07-31-2020 at 10:10 AM.

This isn't good
    They just left Minnesota, so their games might affected too

https://twitter.com/BleacherNation/s...323973633?s=19
    Last edited by chibears55; 07-31-2020 at 10:10 AM.

Nope. Cardinals have voluntarily self quarantined, as well.

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 1908_Cubs View Post
    Nope. Cardinals have voluntarily self quarantined, as well.

Multiple positives on the Cardinals.

Page 1 of 49 12311 ... LastLast