Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by SiteWolf View Post
    Maybe I'm jaded by the number of times I lost jobs to 30 somethings who didn't know a quarter of what I knew about the job nor stayed at the job half as long as I would have......then, in the government, watched far too many waste most of their day in 'water cooler talk' while complaining they should be getting better pay and more promotions...then too often GETTING them because another younger person had just paved the way for it and were now the ones making those decisions. Yeah, a bit bitter to have had to deal with being underpaid most of the past 25 years (first ten of those being for family, often a recipe to be underpaid)
    Idk, maybe it's the job or workplace environment. I have 6-8 guys that are 18-24 at any given time and they bust ***. Most do 10-12 hours with me and go to school at night. Also, I just got off...

I don't want to be part of any country that is established based on the ideas and values of the members of Pro ****ing Sports Daily. That's for damn sure.

PSD: where the moderators consistently cave to crybaby tattletales and it's a lot safer to be openly racist, hateful, and ignorant than to be a little rude to the racist, hateful, and ignorant

Eliminate money from out of district / out of area out of state for local campaigns, get representatives that aren't in lock step with a party. Then what matters locally is what gets argued for, not forcing groups to align where they don't really align. Maybe then we could get back to compromise. The parties started controlling local elections sometime in the Clinton presidency and now its just bad.

Don't make the presidency so profitable, they all gain excessively after they leave.

Eliminate government employees skating until they are 62 or 64 and working a bunch of OT and taking "banked" vacation pay to up their income which affects the pension (some % of the gross of the last two years)

And slow down immigration, there just aren't jobs and we are eliminating lots of jobs at the low end. We can't / aren't taking care of those already here.
    "He's getting the best job in baseball."

Bruce Bochy sent a clear message to whoever will be the Giants' next manager
    🙌
    https://bit.ly/2ndI9eG

Quote Originally Posted by spliff(TONE) View Post
    I don't want to be part of any country that is established based on the ideas and values of the members of Pro ****ing Sports Daily. That's for damn sure.
    No wonder we can never agree on anything! Because since you said that you don't want it, I have an inextricable desire to have that be the ONLY way we present our ideas and values!
    Prior to 11/1/19: if you were on my ignore list, I was sticking to ignoring you thanks to great advise.
    From 11/1/19 on: I will no longer be responding to comments back to people on my ignore list.
    _____

Think long and hard about why you respond to nonsense. Please!

Quote Originally Posted by dbroncos78087 View Post
    No wonder we can never agree on anything! Because since you said that you don't want it, I have an inextricable desire to have that be the ONLY way we present our ideas and values!
    so you're Senators?
    gotta love 'referential' treatment

The first thing I’d advocate for my region is seceding.

The country is too big, and frankly, I don’t give a fuzzy ratsass about the rest of you.

Quote Originally Posted by SfgiantsJD3 View Post
    Eliminate money from out of district / out of area out of state for local campaigns, get representatives that aren't in lock step with a party. Then what matters locally is what gets argued for, not forcing groups to align where they don't really align. Maybe then we could get back to compromise. The parties started controlling local elections sometime in the Clinton presidency and now its just bad.

Don't make the presidency so profitable, they all gain excessively after they leave.

Eliminate government employees skating until they are 62 or 64 and working a bunch of OT and taking "banked" vacation pay to up their income which affects the pension (some % of the gross of the last two years)

And slow down immigration, there just aren't jobs and we are eliminating lots of jobs at the low end. We can't / aren't taking care of those already here.
    I agree with everything you said.

To expand……

term limits…change reps terms from 2 years to four and limit then to two (I could live with 3) terms. Senators…two terms. You cannot go from one house to the other. All this would take a constitutional amendment (good luck with that). Two year terms pretty much mean you are constantly campaigning for the next election and wasting time. Throw in a constitutional amendment limiting the SC to nine judges with some kind of mandatory retirement (75 years of age or 20 years on the bench.)

Eliminate $$$ from politics…you should not be allowed to donate to someone you cannot vote for. Pretty simple. No donations over a specified amount ($250?? $500??). Corps should not be allowed to "give $$$" to someone else to donate. Heavy penalties for breaking this law. Any politicians with excess funds cannot donate to the party or to another politician. Give it to the treasury.

Campaigning…No need for it to be so expensive. Except for a few exceptions (Alaska, Montana, Wyoming) a candidate can drive to all parts of his/her district. Senators have to cover a little more ground. Arrange for debates in a state's major cities. Arrange for local news stations to cover these debates. With all the internet sites available, cable TV etc…how hard is it to get your message out to the voting public. If people are interested, they will find your message. No need for all the travel, employees, mailings etc.

Districts…throw out all the districts and start over. Use county lines (counties are already set up) to allocate districts. Most counties will not meet the requirement of approx 750,000 people per representative so they will combine with adjoining counties. Round the number of people up or down to determine the number of reps. (e.g. Manhattan has approx 1,585,000 people divided by 750,000 per rep comes to 2.1 = Manhattan gets 2 representatives). I have no idea as to how this works out per dems vs repubs. However it is a fair system that takes away a lot of creative accounting over redistricting. As mentioned, county likes are already drawn…no need to gerrymander.

Many (if not most) unions, not just government, have these ridiculous clause regarding how to base their pensions to include OT and payment for sick days. This is pure BS and is abused everywhere not just in the fed govt (check you local school boards, police and fire departments). Pension should be based on salary without OT. Sick days should not be allowed to accumulate for more than a year. No business that had to pay this themselves would ever agree to the current system. Also get rid of 20 year retirements…absyrd.

Immigration…suspend it indefinitely until everything shakes out and we see where we are. If we don't need people…we don't need people. Let's take care of our own first (and bear in mind…most immigrants are coming here because their own country failed them.) If we can ever allow immigration again, it should be based ok skills and needs (our needs.)

Consider requiring everyone who reaches 18 to go into some sort of public service program for two years (preferably away from home). Military, peace core, national construction sites etc. Then go to college with some earned credits from your last two years. (I imaging the birth rate would probably explode.) Have businesses over a certain size (about 500 employees) finance college for selected employees who show promise. Employees get free college from public service and their company and agree to remain with the company for a period of time or repay the tuition. (This would probably require night school, weekends, on line courses etc.). This worked for me. I received a college education thru a master's degree for -0- cost including books. No reason why big business can't do sopmething along these lines.

Complicated Ideas………absolutely
    Is this a time for change……absolutely

Time to make things work

born and raised on the south side of Chicago.
    Oh, I don't think it's too much to ask for them to put in more than 25 hours of actual work a week while getting paid for 40 yet still hear them complain they're underpaid.

But yeah, I grew up on a farm...was put on a tractor by the time I was 8, so small I had to jump down on the clutch with both feet to change gears........but that's where phrases like 'I work hard so I can play hard' came from. If I wanted something beyond the basics, I needed to find a way to earn the money to pay for it. Bought my first car for $50 then spent $200 on parts and 3 months of spare time to get it running. So yeah, I get that my work ethic grew from a far different place than most of theirs did.
    Yeah.. I think we have a twisted sense of work ethic here because there is a value of hard work for hard work's sake. Until I got to my present job I worked 3 jobs in a row where it was my job to supervise fresh out of college kids in research jobs. To a large extent, Id's say 3 of 4, I never had to worry about them working hard. Keep in mind I worked for 3 respected research institutions so we had our pick of some really good kids. Also interviews with me were very stressful. I tended to ask them about a research problem that a group of 5-6 PhDs hadn't figured out yet. And see how well they deal with pressure.

In my present lab I pick students to be in it by giving them a bunch of things they have to do on their own before they can join the lab. Anyone who is lazy or doesn't really want it isn't going to do the work. And surprise surprise I don't deal with the lazy ones.

I think too it's hard to have a perspective on your own generations work ethic because you only see people who are in your boat. It's not till you move up that you see how lazy people can be. My suggestion here is that your ability to know of what other generation's sense of entitlement is, is waaaaaayy easier than looking at your own. The baby boom has ****ing pensions. Pensions!!!!!! Dear lord give me some of that sweet milk. My dad has 2 (He realizes just how different things are going to be for me... I will not have the cushy retirement he has). The loyalty that companies showed workers 50 years ago isn't true now. If an organization is going to treat you as disposable, why not try and get as much out of them as you can?

Quote Originally Posted by MrPoon
    man with hair like fire can destroy souls with a twitch of his thighs.

Quote Originally Posted by spliff(TONE) View Post
    Oh dear lord we should frame this.

so you're Senators?
    I would be willing to do the job.
    Prior to 11/1/19: if you were on my ignore list, I was sticking to ignoring you thanks to great advise.
    From 11/1/19 on: I will no longer be responding to comments back to people on my ignore list.
    _____

Think long and hard about why you respond to nonsense. Please!

Quote Originally Posted by Crovash View Post
    The first thing I’d advocate for my region is seceding.

The country is too big, and frankly, I don’t give a fuzzy ratsass about the rest of you.
    that's not fuzzy...nor a rat's

Could you imagine tho, after 200 years as we are now, actually breaking up into 10 different countries?
    Guess I have movie/TV lines in my head this morning 'cause it reminds me of an NCIS episode where counterfeiters misspelled our country's name....which we'd be in this case....the Untied States

Quote Originally Posted by dbroncos78087 View Post
    I would be willing to do the job.
    yeah, that idea doesn't scare me at all.........

/files for Canadian citizenship

Could you imagine tho, after 200 years as we are now, actually breaking up into 10 different countries?
    Guess I have movie/TV lines in my head this morning 'cause it reminds me of an NCIS episode where counterfeiters misspelled our country's name....which we'd be in this case....the Untied States
    Yes, please.

Quote Originally Posted by flips333 View Post
    Yes, please.
    so you're gonna need a passport to go watch your Cubs play the Cardinals

...speaking of, positives in the Cardinals locker room...who just played my Twins, who just played the Indians...not sure what team sports will actually finish seasons this year

Eh. Just like with the law, it’s all about the spirit, not the letter.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast