Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by More-Than-Most View Post
    when did it become right to throw a 90-100 mph fastball at a guy and think that is just desserts? all these idiots that say do it id love to see you stand in the box and let a guy throw a hard ball at you 90-100mph... ****ing idiocy man. It could kill a guy
    Did you just type “just desserts?”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack of Blades View Post
    I don't consider Brand New indie. I consider them ****ing awesome and don't belong to a genre.

PSD: where the moderators consistently cave to crybaby tattletales and it's a lot safer to be openly racist, hateful, and ignorant than to be a little rude to the racist, hateful, and ignorant

Quote Originally Posted by spliff(TONE) View Post
    I just got diabetes LOOKING at that
    gotta love 'referential' treatment

Quote Originally Posted by More-Than-Most View Post
    nope even today we have these old school morons who worry more about wins/titles in a sport they dont even play that want teams to throw at guys to put them in their place because of the old school idiotic thinking of baseball in general.. what is shocking is we have seen guys like chris benoit kill their families and themselves and other players commit suicide from head related damage and yet we still are alright with guys throwing a weapon at 100 mph at other guys heads and think welp that is baseball and because so and so watched a home run or celebrated a home run he deserves said ball to head.

kelly is being celebrated as a hero for almost hitting a guy in the ehad with a faseball twice all because the organization cheated........................................... .......... really think about how insanely ****ing moronic that is... the dodgers/yankees and every other fan that thinks this is alright or justified for videotaping should go seek help

kelly facial expressions were hilarious and i am a fan but he should have done that by striking the guy out and not throwing at the guy before striking him out... gloat/dance/back flip and moon walk when you strike an astros player out and i am all for it.... never ever throw at a guy period... not in the legs or ribs or let alone the head.
    Trying to devalue the sentiment of retaliation/retribution/justice by saying "we don't play in the sport" can easily be reversed: why is someone defending a person they don't know who plays a sport that you don't? Why do you care so much about their safety? While I agree that going for the head is wrong, I don't agree that we shouldn't allow the players to police themselves.

And while we're at it. The Astros would have a lot more support if the players had received some sort of appropriate consequences. Manfred could have done his investigation differently, arrived at the same conclusions, and hand out sufficient consequences. He didn't. Players literally got away with cheating and affected the lives of others.

Since you're concerned about the safety and well being of the players, what is your proposal for the pitchers who lost their shot at the big leagues because of a rough appearance against the Astros? They could have made a much better living and supported their families. That was affected. Where are the tears for those players?

Any player that is now out of the game due to getting roughed up by the Astros for a game or two didn't belong in the game anyways. Excuse me while I play a sorrowful tune on the world's smallest violin.

PSD: where the moderators consistently cave to crybaby tattletales and it's a lot safer to be openly racist, hateful, and ignorant than to be a little rude to the racist, hateful, and ignorant

Any player that is now out of the game due to getting roughed up by the Astros for a game or two didn't belong in the game anyways. Excuse me while I play a sorrowful tune on the world's smallest violin.
    Okay, any player not tough enough to take a baseball to the hip shouldn't be in the game.

Excuse me while I play a sorrowful tune on the world's smallest cello.

Quote Originally Posted by nyyfan555 View Post
    Okay, any player not tough enough to take a baseball to the hip shouldn't be in the game.

Pretty bad attempt at a counter-argument. Any of these players are "tough enough" to take a baseball to the hip, no one has argued to the contrary.

Don't try to reason with his sensitivities. The men who play this game understand you fine.

Us manly men get it. Now excuse me while I cry some more about Judge not winning the '17 AL MVP award.

Pretty bad attempt at a counter-argument. Any of these players are "tough enough" to take a baseball to the hip, no one has argued to the contrary.
    You set the precedent for bad arguments. Claiming that a pitcher who got lit up by the Astros wasn't good enough to begin with, without providing evidence, was a bad argument.

I just looked up one example: Chase Whitley. He was sent back to the minor leagues the night after playing the Astros in Houston. If you look at his game logs from 2017, he was doing well in the majors. He wasn't an top of the line reliever, but he was on pace to carve out an average career. After he was sent down (at the end of July) he only played in 11 MLB games for the rest of the season.

Here is a recent study of players HBP: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/29768041/

So only 3-4% get hurt enough to need surgery. So, let the players keep using the Astros as target practice (and I'll keep saying it.....not at the head).

Quote Originally Posted by JudgeMeNot View Post
    Don't try to reason with his sensitivities. The men who play this game understand you fine.
    You're probably right about not trying to reason with him. However, I don't think it has to do with his understanding of masculinity. I think he's one of the fans who just wants computers to play the game. I'm all for advanced statistics and I like how they've evolved the game, but humans still play the game. There was a major cheating scandal. Players were not punished. Everyone else is angry. Anger cannot be quantified, but it can be channeled. And it is. And it's totally fine.

You set the precedent for bad arguments. Claiming that a pitcher who got lit up by the Astros wasn't good enough to begin with, without providing evidence, was a bad argument.

I just looked up one example: Chase Whitley. He was sent back to the minor leagues the night after playing the Astros in Houston. If you look at his game logs from 2017, he was doing well in the majors. He wasn't an top of the line reliever, but he was on pace to carve out an average career. After he was sent down (at the end of July) he only played in 11 MLB games for the rest of the season.

Here is a recent study of players HBP: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/29768041/

So only 3-4% get hurt enough to need surgery. So, let the players keep using the Astros as target practice (and I'll keep saying it.....not at the head).
    What a trash argument. Whitley was sent down after giving up 3 ER in 3 IP vs. the Astros at the end of July 2017. That was one of only two appearances he made that year vs. the Astros; in the other appearance he gave up 0 ER in 1.2 IP. He was then brought back up two and a half weeks later and pitched with his team for the rest of the year (despite those darned cheating Astros supposedly ending his career based off one poor appearance according to your masterful logic). He was then claimed off waivers by the Braves in the off-season. You're going to have to do a whole lot of mental gymnastics to make the conclusion that without the Astros cheating scandal, he'd still be on a MLB roster.

In terms of the rest of your post, I'll repeat what I already said: literally no one is making the claim that these players can't handle a HBP to the hip. Even by your own silly, biased argument the number of players whose careers are endangered by a HBP vastly outweighs those whose careers were supposedly ended by the Astros cheating scandal.

Back to the drawing board, nyyfan.

You're probably right about not trying to reason with him. However, I don't think it has to do with his understanding of masculinity. I think he's one of the fans who just wants computers to play the game.
    Dead wrong once again. Are you guys even capable of coming up with a creative and/or intelligent argument?

What a trash argument. Whitley was sent down after giving up 3 ER in 3 IP vs. the Astros at the end of July 2017. That was one of only two appearances he made that year vs. the Astros; in the other appearance he gave up 0 ER in 1.2 IP. He was then brought back up two and a half weeks later and pitched with his team for the rest of the year (despite those darned cheating Astros supposedly ending his career based off one poor appearance according to your masterful logic). He was then claimed off waivers by the Braves in the off-season. You're going to have to do a whole lot of mental gymnastics to make the conclusion that without the Astros cheating scandal, he'd still be on a MLB roster.

In terms of the rest of your post, I'll repeat what I already said: literally no one is making the claim that these players can't handle a HBP to the hip. Even by your own silly, biased argument the number of players whose careers are endangered by a HBP vastly outweighs those whose careers were supposedly ended by the Astros cheating scandal.

Back to the drawing board, nyyfan.
    Wow you're reaching. I'll use terminology you understand: sample size. I'm sure if we extended the Astros cheating scandal to equal the 5 years studied in the linked article, we'd see a greater number of players, teams, cities, etc. affected.

You've yet to do any mental gymnastics to prove that throwing at batters is as terrible as you made it out to be.

Chase Whitley is one example. There are others. And using his appearance at the beginning of the season is also a weak argument. The conclusions of the investigation revealed that the Astros used the cheating system more as the season progressed.

Also, let's not pretend that his demotion didn't have an effect. His coaches could have made suggestions about his mechanics, could have changed the focus of his pitch distribution, etc. Heck he could have gotten in his own head (you know, because these are humans and not computers).

If you want to extend what I said to "ending a career" then go right ahead. It might make you sound more intelligent or might make you believe you "got me", but in the end it's just false. Their cheating negatively affected players. It affected pitchers and their progression. You'll be hard pressed to find someone who disagrees with that.

I'll say it again, please explain why you're against throwing at batters. Something other than saying its childish or unnecessary. It's a sport. It's entertainment. These are humans. They're angry. They had nothing to hang their hat on because the commissioner screwed up. Get over it. Watch them get plunked and move on.

Dead wrong once again. Are you guys even capable of coming up with a creative and/or intelligent argument?
    Instead of using energy to take jabs by questioning others' arguments, use that energy to come up with a real reason why pitchers shouldn't throw at batters other than it being "childish and/or unnecessary".

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast