Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 35 of 75 FirstFirst ... 25333435363745 ... LastLast
Results 511 to 525 of 1114
  1. #511
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    4,091
    Quote Originally Posted by PeanutPunch33 View Post
    Itís going to be funny watching Javy and Willy walk out thedoor in a few years while we extend 30 million a year to a glorified lead off hitter. The two best players on this team werenít even drafted by this brain trust and they will let them walk for that very same reason lol. If the Cubs were serious about those two players they wouldnít be playing games they would have extended them already.

    I really donít care what anybody says. Contreras is far and away the best catcher in the National League and possibly the league and we are lucky to have him. Since 2016 he has been the most consistent player year in and year out for this organization, except maybe Hendricks.
    Maybe Iím misremembering, but werenít the Cubs considered further along in extension talks with BŠez than they were with any of the other good players?

  2. #512
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    636
    Quote Originally Posted by Cubboy View Post
    Maybe Iím misremembering, but werenít the Cubs considered further along in extension talks with BŠez than they were with any of the other good players?
    Yes, I remember reading that as well. Also, Willy is not a FA until after the 2022 season. There is plenty of time to get a deal done there as well.

  3. #513
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    27,819
    The complete lack of respect for KB is unfathomable. I thought Aramis Ramirez had it rough.

  4. #514
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    7,404
    Quote Originally Posted by 1908_Cubs View Post
    This is such a putrid take on Kris Bryant it isn't even funny. I mean, do we ignore the fact that Baez has literally only ever had one season better than Bryant? 2018. That's it. That's the only year. And Bryant's had three seasons where he was better than Baez's best season.

    The best player on the team was drafted by this front office and stats back that up beyond a doubt. If we want to say Baez is the 2nd best player on the team was developed and fixed by this group. He was so bad in 2014 that he was almost written off. Have you not seen what his batting stance looked like 6 years ago? Versus today? A player like Baez under the previous group probably ends up like Corey Patterson or Felix Pie, not Javier Baez you know today. He's probably 2014 and done.

    Stop being so damn reactionary to every little moment. How do you make it through an average day? "Oh god. I spilled my coffee. This is literally the worst day of human history. I can never drink coffee again. Ever. Every time I drink it I ruin my shirt. It's proven. I did it once, coffee is the worst."
    He is a glorified lead off hitter tho. He is hitting lead off because heís not good enough to be a 3 hitter on this team or any team that wants to play in October. He has probably the worst situational hitting out of any current Cubs player. And Javy might be a top 3 defensive player at the premier defensive position in baseball, Bryant will be in the outfield hitting 25 HRs a year before his next contract ends up

  5. #515
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    56,440
    Quote Originally Posted by Cubboy View Post
    Maybe Iím misremembering, but werenít the Cubs considered further along in extension talks with BŠez than they were with any of the other good players?
    There were rumors they were talking extension but the closeness of those talks seem pretty up in the air. I'm not sure how close they ever were. Only that there were discussions between the sides.

  6. #516
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    7,404
    Quote Originally Posted by La_bibbers View Post
    The complete lack of respect for KB is unfathomable. I thought Aramis Ramirez had it rough.
    I like KBs game but I would pay him not a 1$ more than what Donaldson got. Because KB hasnít proved enough to be worth a mega contract.

    I used to think he was a top 10 player, there are probably 10 guys that broke out in the last few years alone that Iíd take over him

    Alonso
    Acuna
    Robert
    Moncada
    Torres
    Tatis Jr
    Etc etc etc etc. this ainít 2016 no more. Heís a good player, not a great one. And honestly if the Cubs replaced with Donaldson this past off season I really donít think they lose much
    Last edited by PeanutPunch33; 07-28-2020 at 11:49 AM.

  7. #517
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    27,819
    Quote Originally Posted by PeanutPunch33 View Post
    I like KBs game but I would pay him not a 1$ more than what Donaldson got. Because KB hasnít proved enough to be worth a mega contract.
    ROTY, MVP, WS champ, multiple all-star appearances, 5+ fWAR (rounding up last year cause he got screwed over having to play OF) every healthy season. I think he's earned a pretty hefty contract. He's not Mike Trout or Mookie Betts, nor young enough to get a Harper deal, but the talks are gonna start with what Arenado got, and it's absolutely warranted.

  8. #518
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    12,135
    Quote Originally Posted by PeanutPunch33 View Post
    He is a glorified lead off hitter tho. He is hitting lead off because heís not good enough to be a 3 hitter on this team or any team that wants to play in October. He has probably the worst situational hitting out of any current Cubs player. And Javy might be a top 3 defensive player at the premier defensive position in baseball, Bryant will be in the outfield hitting 25 HRs a year before his next contract ends up
    His next contract will be a 6-8 year one, so yeah heíll probably be in the OF with declining power at that point.

    Be honest though, if he had Rizzoís stats through 4 games you wouldnít say any of this. Itís reactionary nonsense.

  9. #519
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    6,967
    This is interesting, Soto from the Nats has had 6 negative results, 3 from team and 3 from MLB, but has yet to have back to back Negative results as to why he still being held out

    So, he testing a positive in between the Negatives, which is pretty strange

  10. #520
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    7,404
    Quote Originally Posted by CP_414 View Post
    His next contract will be a 6-8 year one, so yeah heíll probably be in the OF with declining power at that point.

    Be honest though, if he had Rizzoís stats through 4 games you wouldnít say any of this. Itís reactionary nonsense.
    Well in this unique season 4 games is like 10 games and my future 300mm man was hitting .059 with no extra base hits through 10 games yeah Iíd be pretty damn concerned

  11. #521
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    56,440
    Quote Originally Posted by PeanutPunch33 View Post
    He is a glorified lead off hitter tho. He is hitting lead off because heís not good enough to be a 3 hitter on this team. And Javy might be a top 3 defensive player at the premier defensive position in baseball, Bryant will be in the outfield hitting 25 HRs a year before his next contract ends up
    *Audible Groan* What in the hell are you talking about? What in god's name is a "3 hitter" any more? First off, let's all say it together for the 1,563rd time...lineup construction doesn't matter. We're going to say it louder for the kid in the back who's playing with his pencil like it was rubber. Lineup construction doesn't matter. As long as your top-5/6 hitters are in the 5/6 top spots, you're going to be fine. Guess what? Bryant is a top 5/6 hitter on the team. In fact, he's the top hitter on the team.

    Now, with that nonsense out of the way, let's just humor your notion a little to begin with. I'm going to assume you think the 3 hitter is supposed to be your best hitter, like it was 1992 or something like that. Alright, let's do that, shall we?
    Bryant: 138 wRC+
    Baez: 105 wRC+

    So, over their careers, both with 2,500 PA's, Bryant runs circles around Baez. "But 1908," I hear you whine. "What about recent numbers, do they not matter to you at all?" Fine. Let's see what they did last year.
    Bryant: 135 wRC+ (so, right on his career line)
    Baez: 114 wRC+

    Oopsie-doopsie, guess that doesn't work. Now what? "But 1908," you whimper out "Bryant's a big dumb loser with guys on base and in big moments". Oh, so the number 3 hitter is supposed to hit in the most important spots! (Lineup construction doesn't matter and any hitter in the lineup can hit in that spot throughout a game because it's random how that happens, remember this, we've already done this).
    Bryant in high leverage in 2019: 153 wRC+
    Baez in high leverage in 2019: 120 wRC+

    Bryant with runners on base in 2019: 150 wRC+
    Baez with runners on base in 2019: 135 wRC+

    Bryant with runners in scoring in 2019: 153 wRC+
    Baez with runners in scoring in 2019: 163 wRC+

    Oh fiddle sticks. Guess that one doesn't hold up under water either, does it now? So, if in your infinite wisdom, you think that Kris Bryant "isn't good enough" as a "3 hitter" (*chorus sings* Lineup construction doesn't matter) then who is? It's not your precious Baez.

  12. #522
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    1,208
    Quote Originally Posted by Salvaged Ship View Post
    Kimbrelís mechanics look all messed up, its just hurl it and hope. Appears to have lost his confidence too. Combine that with his loss of velocity and contract and its a real problem if we want this team to have some kind of shot this year. In years past we have managed to find at least some semblance of alternatives for a closer, with this collection of stiffs we really needed Kimbrel to be solid. He looked as bad last night as any relief pitcher I can remember. Its only one outing yes, but it was so bad it gives little hope when you also consider last season.

    Need a miracle with him, he looks completely broken.
    The guy typically walks around with a lot of swag with his chest puffed out when he's on the mound. I didn't see that last night. The confidence is definitely questionable now. Not good.

  13. #523
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    56,440
    Quote Originally Posted by PeanutPunch33 View Post
    Well in this unique season 4 games is like 10 games and my future 300mm man was hitting .059 with no extra base hits through 10 games yeah Iíd be pretty damn concerned
    So we should panic any time a hitter has a bad week and a half in a regular season?

  14. #524
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    57,879
    Quote Originally Posted by PeanutPunch33 View Post
    Well in this unique season 4 games is like 10 games and my future 300mm man was hitting .059 with no extra base hits through 10 games yeah Iíd be pretty damn concerned
    Going to be allot of those as 60 games or 162 games guys will struggle and the best will have stretches. Just because you translate the season into a shorter amount of worth will not give any one player super human ability to change the reality of baseball and it's high a failure probability.

  15. #525
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    7,404
    Quote Originally Posted by 1908_Cubs View Post
    *Audible Groan* What in the hell are you talking about? What in god's name is a "3 hitter" any more? First off, let's all say it together for the 1,563rd time...lineup construction doesn't matter. We're going to say it louder for the kid in the back who's playing with his pencil like it was rubber. Lineup construction doesn't matter. As long as your top-5/6 hitters are in the 5/6 top spots, you're going to be fine. Guess what? Bryant is a top 5/6 hitter on the team. In fact, he's the top hitter on the team.

    Now, with that nonsense out of the way, let's just humor your notion a little to begin with. I'm going to assume you think the 3 hitter is supposed to be your best hitter, like it was 1992 or something like that. Alright, let's do that, shall we?
    Bryant: 138 wRC+
    Baez: 105 wRC+

    So, over their careers, both with 2,500 PA's, Bryant runs circles around Baez. "But 1908," I hear you whine. "What about recent numbers, do they not matter to you at all?" Fine. Let's see what they did last year.
    Bryant: 135 wRC+ (so, right on his career line)
    Baez: 114 wRC+

    Oopsie-doopsie, guess that doesn't work. Now what? "But 1908," you whimper out "Bryant's a big dumb loser with guys on base and in big moments". Oh, so the number 3 hitter is supposed to hit in the most important spots! (Lineup construction doesn't matter and any hitter in the lineup can hit in that spot throughout a game because it's random how that happens, remember this, we've already done this).
    Bryant in high leverage in 2019: 153 wRC+
    Baez in high leverage in 2019: 120 wRC+

    Bryant with runners on base in 2019: 150 wRC+
    Baez with runners on base in 2019: 135 wRC+

    Bryant with runners in scoring in 2019: 153 wRC+
    Baez with runners in scoring in 2019: 163 wRC+

    Oh fiddle sticks. Guess that one doesn't hold up under water either, does it now? So, if in your infinite wisdom, you think that Kris Bryant "isn't good enough" as a "3 hitter" (*chorus sings* Lineup construction doesn't matter) then who is? It's not your precious Baez.
    I never said Baez should be a number 3 hitter either, I just said heís more valuable as a baseball player because he actually plays elite, game changing defense. He also is a better baserunner and a smarter player.

    Congrats on your stats, Iím sure you had stats to show me how awesome Heyward was too, donít worry Iíll be back when it implodes. Iíd like to hope this organization learned from its last mistake.If Baez was prancing around with his agent talking about how much heís worth I would call him out too, but that dude isnít a primadonna
    Last edited by PeanutPunch33; 07-28-2020 at 11:58 AM.

Page 35 of 75 FirstFirst ... 25333435363745 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •