Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 34 of 75 FirstFirst ... 24323334353644 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by La_bibbers View Post
    Oooooooh yes they were. "We have plenty of interesting arms in AAA. The bullpen is just a crapshoot anyway." Plenty of those takes going on all off-season.

I should emphasize I'm not saying you were one of those making said takes.
    Yeah it was most certainly a thing.

Quote Originally Posted by La_bibbers View Post
    Oooooooh yes they were. "We have plenty of interesting arms in AAA. The bullpen is just a crapshoot anyway." Plenty of those takes going on all off-season.

I should emphasize I'm not saying you were one of those making said takes.
    Oh, well that was dumb.

Quote Originally Posted by Sofnr View Post
    I don't think anybody forgets. I don't think anyone in here was ever really arguing against the need to strengthen the bullpen. It was frustrating as hell for sure. The problem is the Ricketts said here's 0 dollars, see what you can do. This is the result. Any help at this point is probably coming from the system. Maybe if you still need help(very likely) and you are convinced the season will actually finish you might make a trade at the deadline.
    Plenty of people mentioned how they thought the BP would be a strength. Not making that up. It would be fine. It would be good. Give it a little time and it'd be fine.

I'll admit I still think there's a good bullpen somewhere in here. But I have argued since day 1 the issue with this BP is that to find that BP there were going to be many bumps in the road. I think Wick/Ryan are solid. I think when he's healthy Weick has a chance to be good. I think between Sadler/Tepera/Underwood/Norwood/Winkler there's 2 arms there who, over a year, are fine. I think Kimbrel has the chance to be good. I still think there's a good BP in there. I also think it's the worst BP we've had for a while when you add in just how many bad arms we'll likely have to go through to find the 2 guys who figure it out.

Hell, I think the Cubs would have a good BP if they dumped the trash, and went with:
    Kimbrel, Wick, Ryan, Carraway, Marquez...you'd probably have enough there to be good. Maybe really good.
    Last edited by 1908_Cubs; 07-28-2020 at 10:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 1908_Cubs View Post
    Plenty of people mentioned how they thought the BP would be a strength. Not making that up. It would be fine. It would be good. Give it a little time and it'd be fine.

I'll admit I still think there's a good bullpen somewhere in here. But I have argued since day 1 the issue with this BP is that to find that BP there were going to be many bumps in the road. I think Wick/Ryan are solid. I think when he's healthy Weick has a chance to be good. I think between Sadler/Tepera/Underwood/Norwood/Winkler there's 2 arms there who, over a year, are fine. I think Kimbrel has the chance to be good. I still think there's a good BP in there. I also think it's the worst BP we've had for a while when you add in just how many bad arms we'll likely have to go through to find the 2 guys who figure it out.

Hell, I think the Cubs would have a good BP if they dumped the trash, and went with:
    Kimbrel, Wick, Ryan, Carraway, Marquez...you'd probably have enough there to be good. Maybe really good.
    Yah, i've still got hope they can piece together a good bullpen by adding some of the young arms. I'm not sure what they are waiting for though and it would be nice if it didn't cost them too many games in the meantime.

Quote Originally Posted by Sofnr View Post
    Yah, i've still got hope they can piece together a good bullpen by adding some of the young arms. I'm not sure what they are waiting for though and it would be nice if it didn't cost them too many game in the meantime.
    My guess is you have a rookie coach, who was a "veteran guy" and kept around in many ways because he was a "veteran guy" who also is going to lean on his "veteran guys" because he's a rookie coach and feels like that's what you have to do. Think about how we've seen the season play out. He leaned on Hendricks on game 1 and let him go over 100 pitches out of the gate (which, I think he'll be fine, but let's all admit that we probably shouldn't expect over 100 pitches on day 1 often in this climate of baseball). Last night he let Kimbrel go way too long. He started Kipnis day 2 without any real reason. I've also got a feeling Kipnis plays tonight, but that's purely a guess.

I think Ross feels comfortably with "guys who have done it before" in a short season versus Carraway and Marquez. It's a guess. But it's also one that seems to be grounded, at least, in some potential evidence with how he's handled things already.

And none of this is to bash Ross. It's, in many ways, human nature to rely and lean on what you know versus what you don't. I just have a feeling Ross is leaning that way, especially in this short season.
    Last edited by 1908_Cubs; 07-28-2020 at 10:13 AM.

Phillies/Yankees cancelled.

Next round of Marlins testing brings the number to 17 total

Quote Originally Posted by CubsRule08 View Post
    Hoping for a clean inning by Kimbrel.

Please, just give us that at least.
    Hey CR08, I was scrolling through the thread and just came upon this post. It made me lol - I guess that wish wasn't only not granted, it was laughed at, crumpled up and thrown in the garbage without consideration!

What options did the Cubs have to upgrade the bullpen in the off-season? I'm not trying to argue they didn't have a choice or anything. I just generally don't remember because the off-season seems so long ago.

Quote Originally Posted by ILMindState View Post
    What options did the Cubs have to upgrade the bullpen in the off-season? I'm not trying to argue they didn't have a choice or anything. I just generally don't remember because the off-season seems so long ago.
    It depends on what you consider "option" with how little money the team acted like they had.

Betances, Smith, Treinen, Romo, Harris were all available. They had some options.

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

No Phillies players/coaches test positive. This is huge news.

Quote Originally Posted by Seyton View Post
    Hey CR08, I was scrolling through the thread and just came upon this post. It made me lol - I guess that wish wasn't only not granted, it was laughed at, crumpled up and thrown in the garbage without consideration!
    Lol yeah. It was crumpled, thrown in the trash and annoyingly set on fire with a flamethrower

2016 World Series Champions!!!

Kimbrelís mechanics look all messed up, its just hurl it and hope. Appears to have lost his confidence too. Combine that with his loss of velocity and contract and its a real problem if we want this team to have some kind of shot this year. In years past we have managed to find at least some semblance of alternatives for a closer, with this collection of stiffs we really needed Kimbrel to be solid. He looked as bad last night as any relief pitcher I can remember. Its only one outing yes, but it was so bad it gives little hope when you also consider last season.

Need a miracle with him, he looks completely broken.

Quote Originally Posted by 1908_Cubs View Post
    Phillies/Yankees cancelled.

Next round of Marlins testing brings the number to 17 total
    Just waiting for the ďitís overĒ at this point.

Itís going to be funny watching Javy and Willy walk out thedoor in a few years while we extend 30 million a year to a glorified lead off hitter. The two best players on this team werenít even drafted by this brain trust and they will let them walk for that very same reason lol. If the Cubs were serious about those two players they wouldnít be playing games they would have extended them already.

I really donít care what anybody says. Contreras is far and away the best catcher in the National League and possibly the league and we are lucky to have him. Since 2016 he has been the most consistent player year in and year out for this organization, except maybe Hendricks.
    Last edited by PeanutPunch33; 07-28-2020 at 11:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by PeanutPunch33 View Post
    Itís going to be funny watching Javy and Willy walk out thedoor in a few years while we extend 30 million a year to a glorified lead off hitter. The two best players on this team werenít even drafted by this brain trust and they will let them walk for that very same reason lol. If the Cubs were serious about those two players they wouldnít be playing games they would have extended them already.

I really donít care what anybody says. Contreras is far and away the best catcher in the National League and possibly the league and we are lucky to have him
    This is such a putrid take on Kris Bryant it isn't even funny. I mean, do we ignore the fact that Baez has literally only ever had one season better than Bryant? 2018. That's it. That's the only year. And Bryant's had three seasons where he was better than Baez's best season.

The best player on the team was drafted by this front office and stats back that up beyond a doubt. If we want to say Baez is the 2nd best player on the team was developed and fixed by this group. He was so bad in 2014 that he was almost written off. Have you not seen what his batting stance looked like 6 years ago? Versus today? A player like Baez under the previous group probably ends up like Corey Patterson or Felix Pie, not Javier Baez you know today. He's probably 2014 and done.

Stop being so damn reactionary to every little moment. How do you make it through an average day? "Oh god. I spilled my coffee. This is literally the worst day of human history. I can never drink coffee again. Ever. Every time I drink it I ruin my shirt. It's proven. I did it once, coffee is the worst."

Page 34 of 75 FirstFirst ... 24323334353644 ... LastLast