Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 187
  1. #16
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    4,666
    Quote Originally Posted by steagles View Post
    this is not the right time to do another one of these, but i just heard radko gudas's name, so yeah, this is gonna have to happen now:

    from may 2019:
    T
    I really wish you'd leave the names on these quotes.
    "2008 WORLD ****ING CHAMPIONS"

  2. #17
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    4,666
    Quote Originally Posted by steagles View Post
    did anyone else completely forget that WAS has ilya kovalchuk now?
    Yes. The thoight of kovalchuk and ovechkin both being on the ice is terrifying. Then I remember how both of them at times refuse to backcheck, and it makes me happy.
    "2008 WORLD ****ING CHAMPIONS"

  3. #18
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    3,223
    Yes. The thoight of kovalchuk and ovechkin both being on the ice is terrifying. Then I remember how both of them at times refuse to backcheck, and it makes me happy.
    yeah, plus kovi is a lot less dangerous than he used to be.
    I really wish you'd leave the names on these quotes.
    i cut and paste quotes from one tab to another, and trying to export names would add too many extra steps into that process.

    also, i don't intend to single individual posters out for ridicule; i do it mostly to get a feel for the discussion around a given topic around the time when it was fresh.


    i've said this for a while, but people are way too confident in their opinions. more specifically, people do not give nearly enough thought to the costs and benefits what happens after their opinion is proven to be wrong.

    the quotes about the flyers coaching hires last summer are a good example of that. people came in throwing high and hard, and there was just no consideration of possibility that these professionals knew what they were doing. it was just a vicious circle of "this isn't good, so it must be bad; this is bad so it must be the worst; if that's the worst, then this next thing is going to be even worse".



    also, for the record, look at the difference that kevin hayes made to this roster this year, and now imagine that we'd traded for jordan staal half-a-decade ago like some random poster around here had been calling for.
    Ah yes. The JVR conundrum. He just always seems to do every little thing wrong. Yet somehow he ends up producing. I won't be upset when I don't need to watch him play anymore
    yeah, i had the same thought, but i go the other way on it. i just don't mind anything JVR does anymore, because somehow he does just wind up being what he is.
    Farabee seemed like the one that was furthest away from his best.
    agreed. he looked slow and/or indecisive. i wasn't watching close enough to tell which it was, but he was obviously a step behind the play.
    Last edited by steagles; 07-30-2020 at 11:36 AM.

  4. #19
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    3,610
    If I'm the Flyers, I'm trying to trade JVR, Ghost, and a 1st for Johnny Gaudreau this offseason contingent on him signing a decent extension for a few years. would be an excellent get for the Flyers...

    Gaudreau/G - Couts - TK
    Giroux/Gaudreau - Hayes - Jake
    Lindblom - Patrick - Farabee

    That's a sick top 9 for the next couple years...

  5. #20
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    California
    Posts
    9,594
    Quote Originally Posted by steagles View Post
    indecisive. i wasn't watching close enough to tell which it was, but he was obviously a step behind the play.
    I also don't like him on the 4th line. It just doesn't work with his skill set. Farabee needs to be in the middle 6 somehow

  6. #21
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    California
    Posts
    9,594
    Quote Originally Posted by LLMunchie619 View Post
    If I'm the Flyers, I'm trying to trade JVR, Ghost, and a 1st for Johnny Gaudreau this offseason contingent on him signing a decent extension for a few years. would be an excellent get for the Flyers...

    Gaudreau/G - Couts - TK
    Giroux/Gaudreau - Hayes - Jake
    Lindblom - Patrick - Farabee

    That's a sick top 9 for the next couple years...
    and there is not frost in that lineup still haha. I am all for giving away jvr. Was not a fan of that signing.

  7. #22
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    3,223
    I also don't like him on the 4th line. It just doesn't work with his skill set. Farabee needs to be in the middle 6 somehow
    it's a catch-22. you can't earn a spot on the 2nd or 3rd line when you're playing like a poor-man's chris vandevelde on the 4th line.
    and there is not frost in that lineup still haha. I am all for giving away jvr. Was not a fan of that signing.
    i'd lean towards that too because it reduces the level of risk for the team, but there does seem to be a real benefit to having someone like JVR in the lineup.

  8. #23
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    3,223
    seeing if i can find one last post before the restart kicks off (from january 2019):
    2: some of us have wanted to dismantle this roster for so long that the core we had hoped to build around 5-7 years ago (giroux, voracek, simmonds, couturier) is now the one we want to dismantle to make room for the next one (couturier, konecny, patrick, provorov, ghost, sanheim).
    Raffl? Hextall was asking for TWO 2nd round picks, according to Barstool sports, in 2016:
    thank you for a fitting epitaph on hextall's career as an NHL GM.
    i'm not sure people here appreciate the seriousness of what's going on this year. the organization has disintegrated, the performance of the team cratered, and a core that's been together for nearly half-a-decade can't find a way to get results. core players are aging past their prime; young players aren't developing; key positions have gone unfilled for years.

    this is what it looks like when a 5-year plan turns into a lost decade.
    did anyone else hear jim jackson say that nolan patrick looks up to dale weise as his mentor (it was during the 3rd period iirc)?

    that...explains a lot.
    Okay, I'm going to go ahead and say what everyone is thinking...You are probably the most annoying poster in here with this crap man. First of all, if you want to call someone out on what they said 3/4 years ago, at least put a name to it, because I guarantee most of us have no clue if we were the ones who said these things or not, making your post quite pointless. Second, you act like EVERYTHING you say is gold and we should all bend to your thoughts. Posters like you are the exact reason we lost quality posters like PEM. Stop being such a pretend analyst and be a fan sometimes. Most of the time, I'm sure most of us have NO CLUE what point you are trying to make...
    ...
    Okay, I'm good now.
    Yah, youíre a cherry picker. Calling you on your bs. Put names on quotes if you want to start stuff so people can respond to your profoundly stupid narrative.
    i post these things without names specifically because i'm not calling people out for what they posted in the past (mostly).

    the narrative (which, tbh, is an overly generous description) is that the chorus of voices calling for patience kept pushing the timeline back when positive results never came. what used to be "2016 is when we strike" became 'i can't wait for 2018', and is now 'maybe we can win a playoff series in 2020' (...but still probably not). what used to be 'we're the flyers; we don't do 5 year plans' became, in year 5, *crickets*
    you act like EVERYTHING you say is gold and we should all bend to your thoughts.
    ...
    Most of the time, I'm sure most of us have NO CLUE what point you are trying to make.
    maybe you should try a little harder to understand. or try at all.

    as one example, consider how my drooling over jordan staal became a running joke. then look at our 3rd line centers this year. and last year. and for the last 5 years. and at our PK. and our 2nd PP unit.
    the only hole i'm worried about is 3C. everything else (3rd/4th line, 2nd D pair, PK, 1A/1B goalie/goalies) is just a matter of finding the right combination of in house prospects and with cheap/ish free agents, but 3C is something we can't fill in house, and would cost a ton in trade or free agency.

    we have to get that one right.
    AND FINALLY ..... I FOUND IT:

    If there aren't changes, and rather big changes, homer would finally be on the chopping block with a slow start next season.
    i think he's gone regardless.

    the timeline should go something like this:
    fletcher interviews 12-15 high end assistant GM candidates between now and mid-april.
    he hires one of them, making him (or her, i guess) the highest paid assistant GM in the NHL.
    the two of them work together to hire a coach, a coaching staff, and to fill out the rest of the front office.

    after a 6-18 month trial period:
    homer retires.
    fletcher steps up to team president.
    the handpicked aGM gets promoted to GM.


    if that sounds familiar, that's because it's what holmgren did to get himself out of being GM 6 years ago. if you think of fletcher as being groomed to take over as team president, rather than as GM, the timeline of hextall's ouster/fletcher's hiring makes a lot more sense.

    fletcher is now past 18 months on the job, so that timeline was a bit too fast, but everything else: spot the **** on.

  9. #24
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    3,223
    Bookmark this steagles, either way, a year from now I wanna see this post again.
    i cannot imagine any scenario in which i have not been banned by then, so you may be on your own for that one.
    here you go txravis:
    Ok, so a couple things.

    Theres an article in the athletic with kjeil Samuelson (name check) answering questions about the prospects. The most notable part was the expectation of frost going to the AHL first. In order to transition to the speed of playing against men.


    Secondly, if this season ended today I would bet quite a bit of money that

    g-couts-tk
    jvr-patrick-voracek
    lindblom-_____-______
    ______-laughton-_____

    At least 1 of the above is no longer a flyer by the start of next season.

    There will be changes. There has to be. That was the entire point of the hextall firing. If there aren't changes, and rather big changes, homer would finally be on the chopping block with a slow start next season.

    It's of my opinion, Fletcher wasnt brought in to continue the same process, but to change the actual process.

    Maybe I'll be wrong.

    Bookmark this steagles, either way, a year from now I wanna see this post again.

  10. #25
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    California
    Posts
    9,594
    Quote Originally Posted by steagles View Post
    i'd lean towards that too because it reduces the level of risk for the team, but there does seem to be a real benefit to having someone like JVR in the lineup.
    there is right now. It always seems that he is pretty subtle with his production, sneaky like in fact. However, when this team is completely healthy I really don't want him in the lineup. He already is off the top pp and that is where he can do most damage:

    g-couts-voracek
    lindblom-hayes-tk
    farabee-patrick-frost
    raffl-laughton-nak

    Lindblom will be here next year and farabee will be in the middle 6 as he hopefully gets better. Everything lands on patrick again so we never know how that scenario is going to work out. If he ain't then JVR slides in with frost as a center. However, I would not care at all if seatlle takes him...would be happy actually lol. I don't hate JVR but I just think we don't need that cap hit atm with these young guys coming in

  11. #26
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    8,005
    I'm just ready to see some hockey tomorrow.

  12. #27
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    4,666
    Quote Originally Posted by steagles View Post
    here you go txravis:
    I'm taking credit here. Patrick was basically removed from the team and replaced by Hayes. This qualifies for my major change in on ice product. Even if the public stance was "he'll be back sometime"

    I firmly believe they were fairly certain he wasn't playing this season.
    "2008 WORLD ****ING CHAMPIONS"

  13. #28
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    3,223
    I'm taking credit here. Patrick was basically removed from the team and replaced by Hayes. This qualifies for my major change in on ice product. Even if the public stance was "he'll be back sometime"

    I firmly believe they were fairly certain he wasn't playing this season.
    sounds legit...

    is patrcik going to come back this year?
    He didn't start the year on long term IR. Which would have kept him out for the first ten games. So I expect him back just before the 10th game.
    How close is Patty?
    january. maybe. and when he gets back, don't expect that he'll be better than vorobyev or stewart.

    i expect this will be a lost season for patrick, so to me, the most important thing is that he's healthy coming out of it, so that he can put in a full summer of work, preparing for next year.
    If itís January for Patty, Iíd expect them to put him on the IR ... him not being on it, to me, indicates after american thanksgiving
    fun fact:
    sean couturier is a -7.

  14. #29
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    3,610
    Rumors floating around that Marchand may not play in the game against the Flyers tomorrow. The Bruins looked flat out bad against the Blue Jackets so hopefully that trend continues. Just watched the Canes and Rangers play and it looked like the Rangers were lost for about 2.5 periods and came to life a little in the third. The Canes looked great in the first 10 minutes, but tailed off substantially thereafter. Both teams look super rough on passing and shot attempts as well as controlling the puck skating full speed. If we were basing the predictions on one game, I would say the Rangers will be swept and the Canes won't fair well in round 1.

    That said, there were some awesome hits, fun goals, and tons of PPs (due to sloppy play and stick work). Justin Williams even had an awesome fight in the first period. So much fun to watch!

  15. #30
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    8,005
    The Rangers were flat out bad. Hank is the only reason that game didn't get out of hand. Florida is trash, but what else is new. Oilers are flat out trash too. McDavid is soft as baby **** as well. Toews had his way with him all game.

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •