Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

View Poll Results: Will CJ make the HOF on his 1st try?

Voters
5. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

2 40.00%
  • Nah

3 60.00%

Megatron 1st ballot HOF’er?

2021 Megatron becomes eligible for the Hall of Fame. Speculation is given his short career and his current situation with the Lions organization that he may not be a first ballot Hall of Famer. Thoughts?

Do you think that Sheila will make an effort to make amends with CJ?
    ^^ ^^

click here to join the Lions Forum
    SE7EN time OTT Winner#1,#6,#10,#12, #14, #24 & #27
    Quote Originally Posted by GuySir View Post
    LFFS is the master at going from goofball to boss

I believe he is a Hall of Famer based on his stats alone but I don't believe he is a first ballot Hall of Famer. I look at the Marvin Harrison situation and he was eligible in 2014 for the first time and had a very productive career. He wasn't elected until 2016 with Coach Dungy. I do believe that Sheila will make amends with him. The organization made amends with Barry and they will do the same with Megatron.

2016 PSD LIONS FORUM COMEBACK POSTER OF THE YEAR

Favorite Teams
    Detroit Red Wings
    Detroit Lions FIRE EVERYONE!!!
    Detroit Tigers
    North Carolina Tarheels Mens Basketball
    Florida State Seminoles Welcome to Tallahassee Mike Norvell!

Longevity and lack of success (as if it is his fault) will probably keep him out of the first go round.

Quote Originally Posted by vader817 View Post
    I believe he is a Hall of Famer based on his stats alone but I don't believe he is a first ballot Hall of Famer. I look at the Marvin Harrison situation and he was eligible in 2014 for the first time and had a very productive career. He wasn't elected until 2016 with Coach Dungy. I do believe that Sheila will make amends with him. The organization made amends with Barry and they will do the same with Megatron.
    It's kinda different situations, Marvin may or may not be a murderer, Calvin quit early on the Lions.

Situation 1: not cool
    Situation 2: totally understandable

I don't think he will make it on the first go.

Below is a list of WRs who made it in on their first go:

Raymond Berry
    Lance Alworth
    Paul Warfield
    Steve Largent
    Jerry Rice
    Randy Moss

Calvin Johnson was electric when he played and put up some really great numbers. However, the fact that the likes of Bruce, Owens, Irvin, Harrison, Carter, and Brown all had to wait means he's going to wait as well.

No not first try. He didn't play very long and I dont recall if he had the numbers to get in either.

31st in yards
    45th in receptions
    22nd in touchdowns

I don't think those rankings say 1st ballot hall of fame.
    2017 DRAFT GAME CHAMPION SUPREME!

Quote Originally Posted by garnotm View Post
    31st in yards
    45th in receptions
    22nd in touchdowns

I don't think those rankings say 1st ballot hall of fame.
    you're going by totals though, I'm too lazy to look up per season stats to see where he ranks (plus I'm not entirely sure how) against the all time greats, so I googled an old link instead: https://www.espn.com/blog/statsinfo/...ime-nfl-greats

• In Johnson’s nine-season career, he has the third-most
    Most Rec Yds in 1st 9 Seasons

NFL History
    Torry Holt 11,864
    Jerry Rice 11,776
    Calvin Johnson 11,619
    Marvin Harrison 11,185
    Randy Moss 10,700

receiving yards in NFL history, trailing only Torry Holt and Jerry Rice.

• Looking at it from an age perspective, Johnson ranks second in career receiving yards before a player’s 31st birthday. The leader in that category is Randy Moss, with 12,193 yards.

• Johnson has almost three seasons' worth of 100-yard games. His 46 since being drafted in 2007 is the most in the league.

• Among those to play in at least 100 games, no player has averaged more receiving yards per game than Johnson (86.1).

• From 2011 to 2013, Johnson caught 302 passes for 33 touchdowns. His 5,137 receiving yards over that time are the most by any player over a three-year stretch in NFL history.

• The Elias Sports Bureau notes that Johnson has the most receiving yards (11,619) and receiving touchdowns (83) in NFL history by someone who has never won a playoff game.
    if we're going by total numbers Frank Gore is a 1st ballot HOF, I think his condensed career, while dealing with being a Lion, merits some pretty solid consideration
    Last edited by GuySir; 07-21-2020 at 01:47 AM.

you're going by totals though, I'm too lazy to look up per season stats to see where he ranks (plus I'm not entirely sure how) against the all time greats, so I googled an old link instead: https://www.espn.com/blog/statsinfo/...ime-nfl-greats

if we're going by total numbers Frank Gore is a 1st ballot HOF, I think his condensed career, while dealing with being a Lion, merits some pretty solid consideration
    Sterling Sharpe condensed career would be a hall of fame as well...he is not in it. You don't look at condensed you look at how great of a career it is against the other greats and his don't match up. If he makes it great for him, I just don't see how you can make the argument based on his numbers that he is first ballot hall of fame.

I don't think he will...but I do think he should.

My view is that HOF is a combination of greatness and longevity. The key is that most hall of famers should have both greatness and longevity.

CJ's career peak was incredibly great. Some of the top ever.
    His longevity is middle of the pack. It's not as if he only played 5 years. He played 9 years and rarely missed games. To me (especially in such a physical sport) this is long enough.

That said, I know the longevity is the case against first ballot. I'd wager if he played 4 more years he'd get in.

Does anyone know what the average length of a Hall of Famer's career is? I couldn't find anything specifically stating it but based on the players who have made it as of late it seems like you have to have at least 10+ years of service.

You look at Terrell Davis' career and it's honestly pretty surprising he made it in. He only played 7 seasons with only 4 of them putting up great numbers. If that isn't proof that it's not all about longevity than I don't know what is.

I'm sure Johnson makes it in at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by garnotm View Post
    Sterling Sharpe condensed career would be a hall of fame as well...he is not in it. You don't look at condensed you look at how great of a career it is against the other greats and his don't match up. If he makes it great for him, I just don't see how you can make the argument based on his numbers that he is first ballot hall of fame.
    Sterling Sharpe is a great example, outstanding player who had the numbers, career cut short by tragic injury.

Quitting the Lions is akin to avoiding a career ending injury.

Being a Lion is a career ending injury

OK seriously though, I found another random old post

First, Sharpe only played 7 seasons compared to Johnson, who played 9. But this is what their totals are..

Sharpe
    595 receptions, 8134 yards, 65 tds
    He was also made 5 Pro Bowls, 3x All Pro

Johnson
    731 receptions, 11,916 yards, 83 tds
    He made 6 Pro Bowls, 3x All Pro

If you break that into season averages..
    Johnson- 81/1324/9
    Sharpe- 85/1162/9
    statistically I have no argument for CJ to get in over Sharpe, but it also makes me question why the hell Sterling didn't get in on 1st try, dude was amazing
    Last edited by GuySir; 07-23-2020 at 01:56 AM.

Sterling Sharpe is a great example, outstanding player who had the numbers, career cut short by tragic injury.

Quitting the Lions is akin to avoiding a career ending injury.

Being a Lion is a career ending injury

OK seriously though, I found another random old post

statistically I have no argument for CJ to get in over Sharpe, but it also makes me question why the hell Sterling didn't get in on 1st try, dude was amazing
    especially when you consider the era Sharpe was playing in...that was still a run dominate football game.

Quote Originally Posted by tigers.6 View Post
    Does anyone know what the average length of a Hall of Famer's career is? I couldn't find anything specifically stating it but based on the players who have made it as of late it seems like you have to have at least 10+ years of service.

You look at Terrell Davis' career and it's honestly pretty surprising he made it in. He only played 7 seasons with only 4 of them putting up great numbers. If that isn't proof that it's not all about longevity than I don't know what is.

I'm sure Johnson makes it in at some point.
    Terrel Davis has a two superbowls and a superbowl mvp to go with his shortened but amazing career.