Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

View Poll Results: Would you like to see Clowney sign to a one year deal?

Voters
3. You may not vote on this poll
  • Hell yeah!

0 0%
  • Nope

1 33.33%
  • Don’t care, won’t make a difference

0 0%
  • Why not? Can’t hurt

2 66.67%
  • As long as we don’t have to overpay

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Should Detroit “Clown” around?

https://sidelionreport.com/2020/07/1...-clowney-work/

It’s been nearly four months since free agency has started, and the Detroit Lions still have a healthy amount of unused cap space. Many fans have been advocating for the team to sign defensive end Everson Griffen or edge rusher Markus Golden. Although there is one big name that merits a closer look.

We’ve all heard it before. On the surface, it’s unlikely for a defensive star of Jadeveon Clowney caliber to sign with a team like Detroit. However, if you dig deeper, it comes together nicely. The main reason that Clowney has gone unsigned for this long is the uncertainty of his health.

Add that along with his desire for a long-term contract, teams are going to be hesitant, primarily because of the inability to bring him in for a visit with the current pandemic going on. In my perspective, Clowney’s best direction would be to take a risk on a prove-it deal.

The Lions might be in the best position to offer Clowney a deal of that stature. Despite being a one-year deal, the compensation desired will be presented. If general manager Bob Quinn were to offer Clowney a contract around 20 million for this upcoming season alone, he should consider it heavily.

Hypothetically, let’s say Clowney accepts this deal. He’s now making money desired, all with the opportunity to show the league he is healthy and still play at a high level. He’ll also have the support of defensive end Trey Flowers and hopefully defensive tackle Da’Shawn Hand to take pressure off during pass rush.

If all goes well, Detroit will have a good enough defense to provide a winning season. As for Clowney, healthy and producing at a high level would be apart of that winning season. In which he will have a plethora of teams calling him during free agency of 2021.

NEXT: Detroit Lions 15 best free agent acquisitions of all-time
    This is under the assumption that the Lions would let him walk, allowing Bob Quinn (who keeps his job in this scenario) to sign left tackle Taylor Decker and wide receiver Kenny Golladay to extensions. Rookie edge rusher Julian Okwara would be inline to replace Clowney.
    ^^ ^^

click here to join the Lions Forum
    SE7EN time OTT Winner#1,#6,#10,#12, #14, #24 & #27
    Quote Originally Posted by GuySir View Post
    LFFS is the master at going from goofball to boss

why sign anyone? Is there really gonna be a season?

might as well save your money

yea I think with how uncertain the upcoming season and next one look I'd say error on the side of saving money.

Does anyone know what happens to those 1 year contracts if a season ends up not happening?

Under the assumption the season will be played, I'd say yes. He fits the edge setting they love and the pass rush is still poop (though it looks like it could improve with Okwara, and Collins/Davis blitzing up the middle potentially, so getting help there would be nice.

If we have a season I say why not. He can help with the pass rush that we are still lacking.

2016 PSD LIONS FORUM COMEBACK POSTER OF THE YEAR

Favorite Teams
    Detroit Red Wings
    Detroit Lions FIRE EVERYONE!!!
    Detroit Tigers Welcome to Detroit AJ Hinch!
    North Carolina Tarheels Mens Basketball
    Florida State Seminoles Welcome to Tallahassee Mike Norvell!

Nope...

Clowney wants a lot of money to maybe show up for half the year. It screams Ziggy Ansah to me.
    2017 DRAFT GAME CHAMPION SUPREME!

Quote Originally Posted by garnotm View Post
    Nope...

Clowney wants a lot of money to maybe show up for half the year. It screams Ziggy Ansah to me.
    I think that since he hasn't been signed already offer him a one year deal with incentives kind of like Cam got with the Patriots. If he plays out that one year we could get a comp pick. Clowney is not going to get the money he is asking for.

2016 PSD LIONS FORUM COMEBACK POSTER OF THE YEAR

Favorite Teams
    Detroit Red Wings
    Detroit Lions FIRE EVERYONE!!!
    Detroit Tigers Welcome to Detroit AJ Hinch!
    North Carolina Tarheels Mens Basketball
    Florida State Seminoles Welcome to Tallahassee Mike Norvell!

At this point, there is no way clowney actually gets a big payday. Just no ****ing way. So yeah, I'd take him...because inevitably when he signs it's going to be a steal of a deal.

Nope, now with the season being in limbo probably should just pass.