Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

2020 Training Camp Thread

Discuss Training Camp news, notes and observations here.

As a reminder, there will not be preseason games this year and there is a reduction in camp bodies due to Covid-19

One positive, Chase Young looks legit.

Sign Fournette

Quote Originally Posted by S.L.ugger View Post
    Sign Fournette
    Given how Rivera wants the culture to change, I don't see him adding someone who has been public in criticism with teammates.

Bruce on the other hand, would be all over Fournette and Earl Thomas.

Yea definitely not with signing Fournette. He has been severely underwhelming and there is a reason he was let go at this point. They didn't just decide to cut him now on a whim. The RB group isn't bad and I like the team giving Gibson a shot to show his worth.

Earl Thomas is also questionable. As talented as he is (and as much guaranteed money that he cost) the Ravens cut bait. This indicates it isn't just about the most recent outburst. He also flipped off the Seahawks sideline when he broke his leg during his last season in Seattle. It seems his act wears thin in the places he goes. Rivera needs to flip the culture completely so it would seem to complicate what he aims to do.

Quote Originally Posted by cheddar08 View Post
    Yea definitely not with signing Fournette. He has been severely underwhelming and there is a reason he was let go at this point. They didn't just decide to cut him now on a whim. The RB group isn't bad and I like the team giving Gibson a shot to show his worth.

Earl Thomas is also questionable. As talented as he is (and as much guaranteed money that he cost) the Ravens cut bait. This indicates it isn't just about the most recent outburst. He also flipped off the Seahawks sideline when he broke his leg during his last season in Seattle. It seems his act wears thin in the places he goes. Rivera needs to flip the culture completely so it would seem to complicate what he aims to do.
    The Ravens franchise is far from being paragons of virtue given that, while they've denounced Earl Thomas, they built a statue for Ray Lewis and had plenty of other reprehensible players stick with the team for a while.

That being said, I still don't think Rivera goes for a guy who got into a fight with a teammate, no matter who was right.

Haskins was officially named the starter today, by the way.

Adrian Peterson has been released in a surprising turn. I take this one of two ways. Either Antonio Gibson has had a stellar camp and has earned his opportunity to take the lead role, or Rivera knows that the Skins are about to have a waste year (again) and gave AP a chance to get out and go somewhere to help a team win.

I have read good things about Gibson, but I would imagine it is the latter and that Rivera wants to see what the young guys have.

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasTomasz View Post
    The Ravens franchise is far from being paragons of virtue given that, while they've denounced Earl Thomas, they built a statue for Ray Lewis and had plenty of other reprehensible players stick with the team for a while.

That being said, I still don't think Rivera goes for a guy who got into a fight with a teammate, no matter who was right.
    I agree, mostly, with the last portion of this. I know he came in at the end of Steve Smith's career, but he was a notorious camp fighter. I remember Cam Newton and Josh Norman getting into it. I think he would accept it to an extent. But I think there has to be more to the Earl Thomas situation, than just that fight. The Ravens pride themselves on being a tough, hardnosed team. I can't see them deciding to cut a solid player for just one training camp fight. I would imagine there is more behind the scenes.

I don't see Rivera bringing Thomas in at this point, and I don't see Thomas wanting to spend his remaining years with the WFT in a 30 year rebuild.

Adrian Peterson has been released in a surprising turn. I take this one of two ways. Either Antonio Gibson has had a stellar camp and has earned his opportunity to take the lead role, or Rivera knows that the Skins are about to have a waste year (again) and gave AP a chance to get out and go somewhere to help a team win.

I have read good things about Gibson, but I would imagine it is the latter and that Rivera wants to see what the young guys have.
    If it were a waste year, he would have let Peterson go and have a full camp elsewhere.

The smart play was to let Peterson take the majority of carries early, and gradually give more to Love and Gibson. Last year they rushed Guice back to playing full-tilt and he got hurt again. Hopefully we don't ruin Love or Gibson by rushing them to play.

If it were a waste year, he would have let Peterson go and have a full camp elsewhere.

The smart play was to let Peterson take the majority of carries early, and gradually give more to Love and Gibson. Last year they rushed Guice back to playing full-tilt and he got hurt again. Hopefully we don't ruin Love or Gibson by rushing them to play.
    My thought is he may not have really known what he had in camp prior to actually seeing the players perform since it is his first season so he took some time to evaluate. Rivera either sees Gibson as our guy moving forward or that the team isn't really going to have a chance to get into the playoffs. Likely that we have no shot, especially with our offensive "weapons."

Basically AP says that Randy Jordan told him that they want to give the young players a chance. He also says that Rivera told him that they are going with a particular "system" that may suit the more versatile backs more. Basically they want to see how the younger guys on the team can perform which indicates they know that this year is a wash IMO.

Basically AP says that Randy Jordan told him that they want to give the young players a chance. He also says that Rivera told him that they are going with a particular "system" that may suit the more versatile backs more. Basically they want to see how the younger guys on the team can perform which indicates they know that this year is a wash IMO.
    But why couldnt they do that months ago, like after the draft or at least before camp started? Not a whole lot of respect being shown to a future HoF who at times has carried our offense while he's been here.

But why couldnt they do that months ago, like after the draft or at least before camp started? Not a whole lot of respect being shown to a future HoF who at times has carried our offense while he's been here.
    I don't know in all honesty. Again though, Rivera stepped in and in a very odd offseason and wasn't sure who these guys were and where they would fit in his system. Also, maybe he initially thought the team they have could compete in the NFC but after seeing them practice knows they are a ways off of where they need to be. Maybe he thinks Dwayne isn't the guy and the tank for Trevor is on? Who really knows at this point?