Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 54 of 86 FirstFirst ... 444525354555664 ... LastLast
    CB Bucknor is so trash.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceman85 View Post
    I like there pen better thatís it. Brewers are an average small market team, so that isnít saying much.
    Yes. Exactly. But the point is that I think our team is better than their team. I think our team is better than quite a few other baseball teams. We're not the Dodgers. But I bet we win >35 games. And we have a great shot to win this division. But people are talking as though the sky is falling and our team is going to win 22 games.

Quote Originally Posted by cuzi View Post
    Nuff said. You have no ground to stand on.
    I do. Because I care about the actual success of my team. Not the theoretical success of it.

It looks like the same team that has struggled offensively since late 2018. Prone to really horrific slumps and occasional bursts of offense with the long ball. Meh

There is no team in baseball trying to be the mid 90's Yankees. Not the 2020 Yankees. Not the Dodgers. Not the Red Sox. No one. Stop trying to act like its a money issue. If the Cubs were spending like the Rays you might actually have a point. But when the Cubs are consistently at the top in payroll the point you think you have... is moot.
    So we're going to with the "Call to Authority". Notice how I already addressed this in my post because I've had this discussion with people 100 times. I knew where you'd go.

Just because everyone is doing something, doesn't make it the correct decision. It's like you never looked at your mom and was like "But James' is going! Why can't I go" and she didn't say "Well, hun, if James jumped off a bridge...would you?"

Yeah, teams in the league are getting behind the luxury tax. Of course they are. Again, the luxury tax was created by the owners for the owners. The owners wanted it. Because it does just what it's doing; it's a convenient excuse to not have to spend money. "Oh, sorry guys! Outta money cause...luxury tax..." And fans just say "well, yep, I get it, bro!". No, we shouldn't. It's a fake line created to do exactly this; give them an excuse. It doesn't make it right that the Cubs are playing along with everyone else and claiming poor while raking in more and more profits every season. So, no, as a fan I'm not going to just throw my hands in the air and say "Well, since no one else is passing the invisible line, it's okay the Cubs don't either". It doesn't make it right. The Cubs have every ability to act like the 90s Yankees. We as fans should hold the organization to the same standard as the FO and the players. Do everything in your power to win. Ownership right now, is not, and somehow, has convinced a large contingency of the fan base that it's perfectly okay that they don't.

Quote Originally Posted by chicagofan08 View Post
    It looks like the same team that has struggled offensively since late 2018. Prone to really horrific slumps and occasional bursts of offense with the long ball. Meh
    Again, not true. We have a perfectly average standard deviation in runs scored. We score a lot of runs. Offense is not the problem. Offense is ALWAYS all over the place in baseball.

Ah, looks like PSD Cubs forum at its finest today.

How I missed it.

2016 World Series Champions!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Doogolas View Post
    I do. Because I care about the actual success of my team. Not the theoretical success of it.
    The Cubs havent made the actual playoffs in two years and they've only gotten worse every year while making virtually no roster adjustments. You don't seem to care about the actual success of the team from where I'm sitting.

The Red Sox have as many WS wins post Epstein than they did with him.

Quote Originally Posted by 1908_Cubs View Post
    So we're going to with the "Call to Authority". Notice how I already addressed this in my post because I've had this discussion with people 100 times. I knew where you'd go.

Just because everyone is doing something, doesn't make it the correct decision. It's like you never looked at your mom and was like "But James' is going! Why can't I go" and she didn't say "Well, hun, if James jumped off a bridge...would you?"

Yeah, teams in the league are getting behind the luxury tax. Of course they are. Again, the luxury tax was created by the owners for the owners. The owners wanted it. Because it does just what it's doing; it's a convenient excuse to not have to spend money. "Oh, sorry guys! Outta money cause...luxury tax..." And fans just say "well, yep, I get it, bro!". No, we shouldn't. It's a fake line created to do exactly this; give them an excuse. It doesn't make it right that the Cubs are playing along with everyone else and claiming poor while raking in more and more profits every season. So, no, as a fan I'm not going to just throw my hands in the air and say "Well, since no one else is passing the invisible line, it's okay the Cubs don't either". It doesn't make it right. The Cubs have every ability to act like the 90s Yankees. We as fans should hold the organization to the same standard as the FO and the players. Do everything in your power to win. Ownership right now, is not, and somehow, has convinced a large contingency of the fan base that it's perfectly okay that they don't.
    And very much told Theo that money would basically never be an issue. Which makes doing things like giving Heyward the contract he got much easier.

Yes. Exactly. But the point is that I think our team is better than their team. I think our team is better than quite a few other baseball teams. We're not the Dodgers. But I bet we win >35 games. And we have a great shot to win this division. But people are talking as though the sky is falling and our team is going to win 22 games.
    No weíre still a decent team, but with no real chance to win it all. Plus we lack depth so injuries could completely screw us. What really sucks and why the sky is falling, is that this core is going to broken up, bc we canít afford to keep them all. Are sustained success weíve enjoyed is almost over.

The Cubs havent made the actual playoffs in two years and they've only gotten worse every year while making virtually no roster adjustments. You don't seem to care about the actual success of the team from where I'm sitting.

The one game wild card IS the ****ing playoffs. Secondly, we won MORE GAMES two years ago than the Dodgers. The team in this thread being a called a "sustained success juggernaut" sorry we were in the wrong division.

They have won far fewer games post Theo than with Theo. It took them years, and years to get close the kind of sustained success that Theo had.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceman85 View Post
    No weíre still a decent team, but with no real chance to win it all. Plus we lack depth so injuries could completely screw us. What really sucks and why the sky is falling, is that this core is going to broken up, bc we canít afford to keep them all. Are sustained success weíve enjoyed is almost over.
    Every team that is decent has a real chance to win it all. This is baseball, not basketball. The 86 win Cardinals once won it all.

There are big contracts coming off the books fairly soon. Lester is almost done. Heyward is relatively close to done, too. And you can give out contracts working around that fact.

Secondly, our farm has done a nice job producing hitters. All it takes is a couple guys standing out and BOOM. All of a sudden the window isn't as closed as people thought.

Congratulations. You can look at season win totals and completely ignore the state he left the team in.

The Red Sox literally had to pay a team like the Dodgers to unload the bad contracts Theo signed once he left.
    How many GM's leave their teams in good shape? Especially after having what was, essentially, a very successful decade?

It's the winner's arc. It follows as such:
    Phase 1: Be bad, get good draft picks - young players are cheap
    Phase 2: Young players make top team, are cheap, supplement with expensive players - this is when you're at your best
    Phase 3: Young players need to get paid. Pay them. Supplement with cheap players - team is still good, but decline
    Phase 4: Mortgage future, young players get old, hope to squeeze whatever you can
    Phase: 5 team is bad again. Probably have some bad contracts as you did whatever you could to win

Dynasties across the board, across sports, travel this same journey. Good GM's consistently put their teams in bad spots when they're done. Judging where the team was at the end, ignores all of the work it took to get there. We only have to look at the Chicago Blackhawks to see this same path play out. It's pretty obvious.
    Last edited by 1908_Cubs; 07-25-2020 at 05:00 PM.

Every team that is decent has a real chance to win it all. This is baseball, not basketball. The 86 win Cardinals once won it all.

There are big contracts coming off the books fairly soon. Lester is almost done. Heyward is relatively close to done, too. And you can give out contracts working around that fact.

Secondly, our farm has done a nice job producing hitters. All it takes is a couple guys standing out and BOOM. All of a sudden the window isn't as closed as people thought.
    Sure maybe we get extremely lucky..,Iím aware the playoffs is a bit of a crapshoot.

Oh, fun, the "Wild Card game isn't the playoffs" B.S. All of the greatest hits.

Page 54 of 86 FirstFirst ... 444525354555664 ... LastLast