Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Looking Back at Rob vs Magic

The Lakers are going for a championship in this Orlando pandemic bubble. They have LeBron James & Anthony Davis leading the way with coach Frank Vogel. Feels like the good ole days when I would say the Lakers title hopes are hinging on the leadership of Shaquille OíNeal & Kobe Bryant with the coaching of Phil
    Jackson (ahhh the memories).

From the China preseason fiasco to Kobeís passing to the pandemic... you canít tell me that Ty Lue (a guy who had to take a short in season sabbatical from Cleveland to deal with anxiety issues)... or a guy like Monty Williams couldíve done a better job with how this Laker team has navigated through the tough times like they have under the leadership of Frank Vogel ! (Bye bye Luke)

Magic leaves ... not even giving LeBron a heads up and endangering the Lakers-Klutch relationship... trying to screw both Jeanie &
    Rob.

Letís be real... if Magic was still in charge .. he would have gone for either Lue or Monty. Donít think Vogel would have even been considered high on Magicís list ... Magic probably hated Rob and his decision to hire Vogel so badly that on the day of Vogelís press intro as the new lakers head coach ... the morning of Magic went on First Take to bash the entire Lakers FO including Rob. Magic turned the media against Rob so much so that even after the AD trade, Rob and the Lakers were looked upon as incapable and inept because of Ďnot knowing the salary capí ... and then the whole Kawhi to the Clippers debacle happened as the Lakers waited and the whole free agent market dried up...

Despite all of that... Rob made the moves ... with LeBron, AD, Kuz and a rookie in THT on the roster and Kawhi/PG to the Clippers ... Rob got the ball rollin

1. Sign Boogie ... tears his ACL and shortly that leads to a nonguaranteed contract rejuvenated humble Dwight ... and then waives Boogie months later but still treating him as Laker family

2. Sign Danny Green, Avery Bradley (opts out but still promised a ring if they win), Quinn Cook, Jared Dudley, Troy Daniels (waived as he was way too 1-dimensional but Rob gave him the opportunity to sign with a playoff contender aka Denver)

3. Re-sign vets Rondo (broken thumb 6-8 wks), JaVale, KCP

4. In season signings like MArkieff Morris (currently en route to Orlando), Dion Waiters (takes the place of Troy) and JR Smith (takes the place of Avery).

5. The biggest underrated move was converting Caruso from a 2 way player to the active roster.

6. Making Cacock a 2 way player as well as little brother Kostas (keeping an eye on the future for big brother Giannis)

7. By trading Lonzo, you get rid of the joker in LaVar. (Thanks Ingram and Hart for
    Your contributions ... but we very much happy with Anthony Davis)

8. Get rid of that joke trainer Marco Nunez and bring back Judy Seto to head the department who then hires Nina Hsheih as the new Lakers head trainer.

Rob makes sure to forge a strong relationship with Klutch sports. 6 clients on the roster with Bron, AD, KCP, THT, Waiters & JR.

Rob becomes the ball boy during the Orlando bubble... he and Vogel become standing human prop cones as the Lakers players do dribbling drills around them.

The man lost his best client and best friend in Kobe Bryant and gave a remarkable uplifting Eulogy on his friend on 2.24.20

The man now the VP of basketball OPS & GM, with the aid of Jeanie, Linda, Kurt, Tim Harris and Joey/Jesse Buss and Coach Vogel ... have brought the city and organization together and Lakers fans & faithful worldwide.

While itís Magic ... who always gave his mediocre takes as an analyst on ABC ... or was a mediocre short stint head coach in the mid 90s.... or felt he didnít want the daily grind And appear daily in the Lakers El Segundo HQ as a Laker leader in the front office because he made too much money in his other businesses ... has become the ultimate keyboard warrior spewing whatever self righteous self promoting tweets.

Rob has to close the deal. Frank, LeBron &
    AD and the rest have to close the deal.

Most likely Rob wonít get the recognition to become executive of the year. Frank wonít get coach of the year. LeBron wonít get MVP. And AD wonít get DPOY.

But what these guys can collectively do ... is win championship #17 in the harshest conditions possible... under the watch of Jeanie Buss & Rob Pelinka (sans Magic Johnson).
    Last edited by LaVar Ball; 07-21-2020 at 10:27 AM.

Iím pretty sure Lebron is the real GM.. Rob is just a face for TV interviews. Behind the scenes heís bending over for Bron and Klutch..

Quote Originally Posted by lakerfan85 View Post
    Iím pretty sure Lebron is the real GM.. Rob is just a face for TV interviews. Behind the scenes heís bending over for Bron and Klutch..
    ok

But he knows how to manage player-agent-GM relationships. And understands numbers. Magic didnít understand that. He just wanted to get under the salary cap but letís be real Rob executed it.

Rob hired Vogel, whereas LeBron wouldíve gone for familiarity with Lue (Cleveland) or Monty (team USA).

But it was Rob & Kurt who made the Vogel call. Not LeBron. Not Klutch.

Rob is good at navigating between Lebron and Rich Paul.

Vogel has coached his absolute best defensive team. Lebron, Davis, Howard and Bradley all played All NBA level defense this season. Every one on the Lakers plays championship level defense. Then you add Morris defense to this system. Vogel can coach defense.

I'm still a little antsy about AD until he commits long term and so once that occurs I will give the front office their due credit. I do think they've done an excellent job of bringing in the right guys to make this team a contender and I'm a fan of the coaching staff we brought in (very glad it wasn't Lue).

Rob hasnít really done anything. Who else had a better trade package than the Lakers for AD? In fact Rob is the idiot who waited on Kawhi and let multiple players go to other teams. Rob got played..

Quote Originally Posted by Big Moves03 View Post
    I'm still a little antsy about AD until he commits long term and so once that occurs I will give the front office their due credit. I do think they've done an excellent job of bringing in the right guys to make this team a contender and I'm a fan of the coaching staff we brought in (very glad it wasn't Lue).
    https://twitter.com/ShowtimeForum/st...313070595?s=20

Quote Originally Posted by lakerfan85 View Post
    Rob hasnít really done anything. Who else had a better trade package than the Lakers for AD? In fact Rob is the idiot who waited on Kawhi and let multiple players go to other teams. Rob got played..
    Everyone got played

Kawhi was/is a con artist. Who cares about him.

Rob did well rounding out the roster. Now weíll see if this roster is well suited for the playoffs.

Quote Originally Posted by LaVar Ball View Post
    Everyone got played

Rob did well rounding out the roster. Now weíll see if this roster is well suited for the playoffs.
    The point is, we didnít need Kawhi. He was never coming here. And I donít agree about the rest of the roster. Very thin at the guard position. Rondo is garbage, Green is meh, AB had an okay season, and Pope was pretty much hated by everyone the last couple of seasons.

Quote Originally Posted by LaVar Ball View Post
    Everyone got played

Honesty truth I hated everyone and wanted them all gone. Rob, Jeanie, and LeBron too especially after last season. Now I hate them less. Just get AD re-signed.

Quote Originally Posted by deadman8586 View Post
    Honesty truth I hated everyone and wanted them all gone. Rob, Jeanie, and LeBron too especially after last season. Now I hate them less. Just get AD re-signed.
    Win the chip first then re-sign AD

Lakers are 1st in the West.

Lead the league in block shots.

2 first team All NBA players.

Amazing cap room scenarios can play out. Especially in 2021 free agent class.

No bad contracts.

A MVP candidate

A defensive MVP candidate

I say Rod did a amazing job. This Lakers team can win a championship and still sign its next prime time player.

Quote Originally Posted by Bostonjorge View Post
    Lakers are 1st in the West.

Lead the league in block shots.

2 first team All NBA players.

Amazing cap room scenarios can play out. Especially in 2021 free agent class.

No bad contracts.

A MVP candidate

A defensive MVP candidate

I say Rod did a amazing job. This Lakers team can win a championship and still sign its next prime time player.
    Whoís Rod? Also Bron was coming here and Magic met with him when he was a free agent. You guys are giving ROB too much credit.

I'm on the fence with all 4 - Magic, Rob, LBJ & AD.... If they win a championship then there's no questioning of any move. If they don't then the questioning begins with the hiring of Magic and Rob.

But as far as Rob is concerned, I'm with LF85. Too much undeserved credit has been given to him IMO. LBJ was Magic and by extension AD also goes to Magic.

Where I will give Rob credit for are past summers free agents. I also believe chasing Kawhi was a waste of time. I had been saying months before free agency that no way Kawhi voluntarily signs with us as long as LBJ is on the roster. Still though I think he had some great signings in Green, Bradley & Howard. KCP, Caruso, Rondo & McGee are carry over from the year before when Magic was still on the team. Had some crap signings with Cook & Daniels when it was plain as daylight that we needed a wing defender.

He didn't do shyte during this past trade deadline when holes were obvious. Then the buyout market nobody wanted to come here. IMO he got bailed out big time when we were given the $1.75 million DPE for DMC and the Clippers trading for Marcus. Without them 2 things happening I don't think Markieff would've fell on Robs lap. Or like he would say "Manna from the heavens".

Then the Waiters & Smith signings, to me he looked like a lame duck GM with LBJ making the decisions and him not being able to do anything about it.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast