Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

View Poll Results: Who is the G.O.A.T at their absolute peak?

Voters
10. You may not vote on this poll
  • Bill Russell

4 40.00%
  • Dwyane Wade

1 10.00%
  • Kobe Bryant

1 10.00%
  • Kevin Durant

1 10.00%
  • Stephen Curry

1 10.00%
  • Kevin Garnett

0 0%
  • Julius Erving

0 0%
  • Bill Walton

0 0%
  • Oscar Robertson

0 0%
  • Elgin Baylor

0 0%
  • Jerry West

0 0%
  • Charles Barkley

0 0%
  • Dirk Nowitzki

0 0%
  • Karl Malone

0 0%
  • David Robinson

0 0%
  • James Harden

0 0%
  • Giannis Antetokounmpo

1 10.00%
  • Isiah Thomas

0 0%
  • Kawhi Leonard

0 0%
  • Scottie Pippen

0 0%
  • Rick Barry

1 10.00%
  • John Havlicek

0 0%
  • Tracy McGrady

0 0%
  • Allen Iverson

0 0%
  • Steve Nash

0 0%
  • Chris Paul

0 0%
  • John Stockton

0 0%
  • Patrick Ewing

0 0%
  • Willis Reed

0 0%
  • Russell Westbrook

0 0%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

OFFICIAL G.O.A.T Peak Rankings - #11

Generally when discussing the GOAT player it is important that you look at their career. MVPs / Rings / All-NBA Teams / etc. But this ranking throws all that out the window. 1 game. At their absolute best. Who you taking?

#1.) Michael Jordan
    #2.) LeBron James
    #3.) Shaquille O'Neal
    #4.) Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
    #5.) Wilt Chamberlain
    #6.) Larry Bird
    #7.) Hakeem Olajuwon
    #8.) Magic Johnson
    #9.) Tim Duncan
    #10.) Moses Malone
    #11.)
    #12.)
    #13.)
    #14.)
    #15.)
    #16.)
    #17.)
    #18.)
    #19.)
    #20.)
    #21.)
    #22.)
    #23.)
    #24.)
    #25.)

Kristaps Porzingis
    Stronger than most 15 year old girls.

god i am going to hate arguing this but if anyone if voting for kobe or wade please tell me how either of their peaks are better then curry of say the last 4 years? I am not a curry guy but god damn his last 4 years have been insanity.

Kobe has longevity
    wade would do more with less

curry peak is just better even with those things above. This is a peak debate correct?

I'm going Kobe. I can't bring myself to vote for Russell when he's bringing so little to the table as a scorer. Yes scoring is that important to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Iggie View Post
    The WS being higher are strictly due to more minutes played by Kobe
    I like that Kobe plays more minutes.

as you can see by their WS/48 where Wade has a decent advantage.
    Here is my main problem with your argument. It's so heavily reliant on stats and if you believe in winshares/48 enough to tell me that it makes Wade > Kobe than you should be taking a strong look at Steph Curry.

Wade's top ws/48 season ranks #152 All-time. This is the player you want to put as a top 10 GOAT peak of all-time. You are using THIS STAT to point out that he is top 10 GOAT peak of all-time and he ranks #152 in it. Do you see the irony? Curry's ws/48 blow both of them out of the water in 2015-2016.

Kobe score 8 more points on 9 more shots and this isnít even taking into account free throws added due to more shots. Letís both be real with ourselves, had Wade shot that many shots heís a worst tying the points Kobe put up but if I were a betting man I would say his scoring average would be higher. His PER was higher, only barely due to his points I would say as well.
    Curry scored as much as Wade on less shots too. Why aren't you picking Curry?

So your holding on to WS which is only higher due to more minutes and scoring which isnít impressive considering the 9 more shots and worse efficiency.
    I'm actually not holding on to it. I'm only using it because you posted something like 40-50 out of context statistics of unnamed players and used it as your starting argument. Then I looked at all those stats and saw that arguably the most important ones still all pointed to Kobe as being better than Wade.

This is also not factoring in Wade having one of the greatest finals performances ever to carry his team to a championship that year while Kobe was a first round exit. I bet you Kobe wouldíve rather did what Wade did in 06 if he had the choice, I actually guarantee it. So tell me how Kobe had a better season that year all things considered?

Why did everyone pick Wades 06 season when I posted these numbers in there? Weíre just going to ignore Kobe did it on a 1st round exit team while Wade did it on a championship team? This isnít even close but here Iíll give you Wades numbers on a first round exit team so we can compare similar situations.

Wade in 08-09: 30.2-5-7.5-2.2-1.3 on 22.0 shots. .574 TS% 30.4 PER 10.3OWS 4.4DWS 14.7WS .232WS/48 8.2OBPM 2.4SBPM 10.6 BPM 9.6 VORP

I tried to tell you this wasnít close. Wades 06 season big picture was better than Kobes, Wades best statistical season also ***** on Kobes best. This is not rocket science
    See here's our biggest problem. I'm not ranking seasons. I'm ranking players. It's like when Scoops said "Oh I pick Wilt he had a 100 point game." That's not what this is meant to be. It's like a pick-up game. We're picking squads. Everyone is on the table. Who do you want? Even if I concede Wade's epic finals performance in 06 gave him a better all-around season than Kobe, that doesn't mean I take Wade the player over Kobe the player. You get what I'm saying? Statistically Anthony Davis ***** on Bill Russell but he ain't going before him. That's why my first argument to you was about their abilities on the floor and I was listing Kobe's strengths. I love his versatility and potential to help my team in more ways than Wade.

Quote Originally Posted by KnicksorBust View Post
    Offensively I think Kobe is better. He can drive to the rim, pull-up from mid-range, hit the 3, and post-up. He also can set up teammates for easy shots.
    Defensively I think Kobe is better. He is a multiple time all-defensive FIRST team player.
    The stats are definitely worth bringing to the table but I also want to talk about their skills too. That's how I'm going to draft my team. Otherwise, like I said, we should be debating David Robinson, Steph Curry, and Anthony Davis now.

Kristaps Porzingis

Quote Originally Posted by More-Than-Most View Post
    god i am going to hate arguing this but if anyone if voting for kobe or wade please tell me how either of their peaks are better then curry of say the last 4 years? I am not a curry guy but god damn his last 4 years have been insanity.

Kobe has longevity

curry peak is just better even with those things above. This is a peak debate correct?

It is a peak debate and Curry definitely has a strong case to go here. I inadvertently starting making it in the post right after this after voting for Kobe.

Kristaps Porzingis

Durant. His peak is as strong or stronger than anyone else left on the board, and he's a freakish unguardable athlete. You could make a case for Curry here, but I've already detailed my thoughts on that debate in the other thread.

i regret now... def should have gone durant over curry

i regret now... def should have gone durant over curry
    I count the comments in the thread as votes. If you want Durant just make a comment that says you are changing your vote and I will add 1 to KD and minus 1 from Curry.

Kristaps Porzingis

Kobe has longevity
    I think you and some other people are misunderstanding the point of the thread ó "1 game. At their absolute best," as the OP said.
    Curry's four years of greatness or Kobe's longevity doesn't really matter as much. What matters is who, at their absolute best, you'd count on the most to win a game. It's a more specific time frame than a career or even a multiyear peak.
    Wade's playoffs in 2006 were basically the best since the merger of the NBA and ABA. No single player had a greater impact on winning the finals ó not Curry, Kobe nor Durant. He came up huge in those playoffs. I'm betting 2006 finals Wade has the best chance among them to win me a game, either through his offense or defense.

I thought Russell won the last poll?

Quote Originally Posted by valade16 View Post
    I thought Russell won the last poll?
    Saddletramp and Ewing's votes for Moses were posted in the thread.

Kristaps Porzingis

Bill Russell is an all-time great and easily belongs in the conversation as one of the greatest of all-time. But he's also the perfect example of a guy whose overall career accomplishments prop up the fact that his peak performance and individual offensive numbers don't hold a candle to other all-time great superstars in league history.

I love Russell, but he should not be getting votes right now. And if he didn't crack the top 20, I wouldn't be shocked.

Russell again for me

OFFICIAL G.O.A.T Peak Rankings - #11

Clearly Russell

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    My dick is named 'Ewing'.

How is it Russell? I'm sorry but even if we ignore all the guards/wing and just focused on bigs then I would take Garnett over Russell. At least he can score and shoot. Russell was a career 44% FG and 56% FT shooter. I'm sorry but how does his game translate into today? I get that FG% was lower during that time but people could still make free throws better than that. He was the worst FT shooter on his team. You can't tell me he could shoot.

He was an athletic defensive monster who could protect the rim in an era with no 3pt shot. What would he be today? Everyone bombing 3's and no post defense needed. Would he still be a great rebounder? Sure. Would he be one of the best big men at switching to defend guards in pick and rolls? Definitely. But find me the big man in today's game that can't shoot or score and is a star player. It doesn't exist. I honestly don't even believe he should be in the top 25.

Kristaps Porzingis

Quote Originally Posted by mightybosstone View Post
    Bill Russell is an all-time great and easily belongs in the conversation as one of the greatest of all-time. But he's also the perfect example of a guy whose overall career accomplishments prop up the fact that his peak performance and individual offensive numbers don't hold a candle to other all-time great superstars in league history.

I love Russell, but he should not be getting votes right now. And if he didn't crack the top 20, I wouldn't be shocked.
    x2

Kristaps Porzingis

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast