Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

For realzies- do you think we値l have a football season this year?

At first I thought no way they cancel. Now with the Rona on the rise, I知 starting to have doubts. If they can shut down schools, businesses, restaurants, why not multi-billion dollar industries?
    NBA has an abbreviated season, can the NFL do the same?
    ^^ ^^

click here to join the Lions Forum
    SE7EN time OTT Winner#1,#6,#10,#12, #14, #24 & #27
    Quote Originally Posted by GuySir View Post
    LFFS is the master at going from goofball to boss

Quote Originally Posted by Lionsfanfromsac View Post
    At first I thought no way they cancel. Now with the Rona on the rise, I知 starting to have doubts. If they can shut down schools, businesses, restaurants, why not multi-billion dollar industries?
    NBA has an abbreviated season, can the NFL do the same?
    Man, it's really hard to say. You look at what other sports are doing and you wonder where the NFL fits in.

MLS
    Season was cancelled back on March 12th but started back up July 8th and runs until August 11th. They are playing at the ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex at the Walt Disney World Resort, just outside Orlando. All 26 clubs will take part, as the league breaks them up into five groups of four and one group of six. Three teams from Group A, as well as the top two in each of the other groups, will advance to the round of 16. Additionally, the next three highest-ranked teams in the group stage will round out the knockout field (the fourth-placed team in Group A will be eligible to advance).

NBA
    Season cancelled back in March with it scheduled to start back up July 30th. Similar to the MLS, teams will play in a 'bubble' at a single-site campus at Walt Disney World Resort in Florida. However, only a portion of the teams will play for the post-season instead of all the teams like the MLS.

NHL
    The 2020 Stanley Cup Qualifiers will begin on Saturday, Aug. 1 in the hub cities of Edmonton and Toronto. Only 24 teams will have the ability to play for the playoffs though.

College Football
    I really don't think we are going to have a college football season, in all honesty. I have read that a few presidents insist that they cannot treat student-athletes differently than students when it comes to this whole situation. To provide student's the ability to take classes entirely virtual but then request student-athletes to play football games is a big ask in my opinion. Students don't make us nearly as much money as football players do so we have to have them play games (is what they are thinking). Below are what some of the conferences (DI, DII, and DIII) have announced so far:

Conference Only Games
    Big Ten
    Pac-12
    Middle Atlantic Conference
    Midwest Conference
    Minnesota Intercollegiate Athletic Conference

Cancelled all Fall Sports
    The Ivy League
    Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference
    Patriot League
    Central Intercollegiate Athletic Association
    Pennsylvania State Athletic Conference
    Southern Intercollegiate Athletic Conference
    Centennial Conference
    Eastern Collegiate Football Conference
    Massachusetts State Collegiate Athletic Conference
    New England Small College Athletic Conference
    New England Women痴 and Men痴 Athletic Conference
    National Junior College Athletic Association (the NCAA of junior colleges)
    California Community College Athletic Association

To answer your question though:

I want to say no. There is just so much uncertainty going on right now that I think they will ultimately have to cancel, push back, or reduce the amount of games in the upcoming season. The NFL is in a different boat than the MLS, NHL, and NBA in my opinion. All of these sports had their seasons cancelled mid way through. They had to just figure out how to finish the season. The NFL has the tough go of trying to plan for the entire training camp, preseason, and season. What makes it hard for me to believe that though is the size of the NFL. They are the epitome of the term, 'to big to fail' and they will do all in their power to have players back on the field. With or without fans in attendance.

I figure they'll try, with fingers crossed, just HOPING it'll work, and almost instantly it'll get shut down

unless some scientific genius comes up with corona proof gloves and face masks, there's just no way

Probably not. America's ****** response to handling Covid plus things seemingly changing daily makes the future murky for football. But I'm no prognosticator so who the hell knows what 2 months from now will look like.

Quote Originally Posted by LionsFan..LOL View Post
    Probably not. America's ****** response to handling Covid plus things seemingly changing daily makes the future murky for football. But I'm no prognosticator so who the hell knows what 2 months from now will look like.
    it'll look slightly better, which is exactly why we'll **** it up

Can you imagine the backlash from all the season ticket holders demanding refunds? Or does the nfl have some sort of catch all for a pandemic saying they get to keep the money?
    ^^ ^^

Can you imagine the backlash from all the season ticket holders demanding refunds? Or does the nfl have some sort of catch all for a pandemic saying they get to keep the money?
    I'd be surprised if they kept all the money. Chances are they'll probably offer a refund or the option to put the money down for next season tickets.

it'll look slightly better, which is exactly why we'll **** it up
    I hate to say that's true but it sure seems true given all that has happened thus far.

I just read that NFL has proposed to NFLPA no preseason games this year and a longer training camp acclimation period as well. The NFL and NFLPA agreed to daily testing and it can go to every other day if they keep the positive tests below the 5% threshold. If the season doesn't happen it should be interesting to see what the salary cap for teams will be next year. Even if the season does happen again it should be interesting to see what the salary cap for teams will be next year if they don't allow fans at games.

2016 PSD LIONS FORUM COMEBACK POSTER OF THE YEAR

Favorite Teams
    Detroit Red Wings
    Detroit Lions FIRE EVERYONE!!!
    Detroit Tigers
    North Carolina Tarheels Mens Basketball
    Florida State Seminoles Welcome to Tallahassee Mike Norvell!

Quote Originally Posted by vader817 View Post
    I just read that NFL has proposed to NFLPA no preseason games this year and a longer training camp acclimation period as well. The NFL and NFLPA agreed to daily testing and it can go to every other day if they keep the positive tests below the 5% threshold. If the season doesn't happen it should be interesting to see what the salary cap for teams will be next year. Even if the season does happen again it should be interesting to see what the salary cap for teams will be next year if they don't allow fans at games.
    Sucks to be a late round draft pick or undrafted rookie this year.

honestly if I am a player I would consider sitting the year out.

People who are getting mild cases of covid are still getting put on the donor list for lung transplants due to the damage this disease is doing. I have a friend in the LA area who runs the emergency room he says his beds are full and even if people survive this they have other complications to overcome. Most of these complications would end a career.
    2017 DRAFT GAME CHAMPION SUPREME!

Quote Originally Posted by tigers.6 View Post
    Sucks to be a late round draft pick or undrafted rookie this year.
    Do doubt... your dreams come true making it to the big leagues then they cancel the big leagues ...
    ^^ ^^

Do doubt... your dreams come true making it to the big leagues then they cancel the big leagues ...
    I was surprised the big leagues weren't canceled as soon as Juan Soto tested positive. As soon as I saw the opening night game had one of the biggest stars test positive, I was like "welp, good try, baseball"

and they played anyway, what could possibly go wrong?

The Lions haven't had any players opt out of the season thus far but a few players on other NFC teams have. Funchess with the Packers and Goldman with the Bears. Now, we really don't know what Funchess would bring to his new team but Goldman opting out with the Bears really affects their defense. Good news for us I guess.

Do you think anyone significant will opt out on the Lions?

Quote Originally Posted by tigers.6 View Post
    The Lions haven't had any players opt out of the season thus far but a few players on other NFC teams have. Funchess with the Packers and Goldman with the Bears. Now, we really don't know what Funchess would bring to his new team but Goldman opting out with the Bears really affects their defense. Good news for us I guess.

Do you think anyone significant will opt out on the Lions?
    That's the million dollar question. I honestly think this season isn't going to happen. Hell the Marlins just had an outbreak of cases and MLB just postponed all their games until at least Sunday. Whats to say that happens in the NFL then the season is going to go down the tubes. I think the only way to have a successful season is to find a 2 central locations and make a bubble but that is pretty hard to do for football compared to Hockey and Basketball.

2016 PSD LIONS FORUM COMEBACK POSTER OF THE YEAR

Favorite Teams
    Detroit Red Wings
    Detroit Lions FIRE EVERYONE!!!
    Detroit Tigers
    North Carolina Tarheels Mens Basketball
    Florida State Seminoles Welcome to Tallahassee Mike Norvell!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast