Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Reparations

[QUOTE=brett05;33525941]So there would be a whole slew of questions, including but not limited to:
    1.) Should reparations indeed happen?
    **** No there should not be reparations. None alive today suffered from slavery, none alive today have slaves or had them in the past.
    2.) What form should reparations take?
    **** None should take since none suffered or benefited from Slavery.
    3.) How should reparations be funded?
    **** It can't be funded.
    4.) Who should be allowed to participate?
    **** Those that were slaves or owned slaves which would be none at this point
    5.) How will participants be determined?
    **** See answer to #4

The truth of the matter it was multiple races that were responsible for slavery in America, especially if you go back to those that were supplying the labor.

It's an ugly part of history but it's time to move on.

Treat everyone equally and fairly. Plain and simple.[/QUOTE]

Bold 1…Ba da boom, ba da, bing!!!!

Bold 2…Ba da boom, ba da, bing!!!!

[QUOTE=Sluggo1;33525961]
    Quote Originally Posted by brett05 View Post
    So there would be a whole slew of questions, including but not limited to:
    1.) Should reparations indeed happen?
    **** No there should not be reparations. None alive today suffered from slavery, none alive today have slaves or had them in the past.
    2.) What form should reparations take?
    **** None should take since none suffered or benefited from Slavery.
    3.) How should reparations be funded?
    **** It can't be funded.
    4.) Who should be allowed to participate?
    **** Those that were slaves or owned slaves which would be none at this point
    5.) How will participants be determined?
    **** See answer to #4

The truth of the matter it was multiple races that were responsible for slavery in America, especially if you go back to those that were supplying the labor.

It's an ugly part of history but it's time to move on.

Treat everyone equally and fairly. Plain and simple.[/QUOTE]

Bold 1…Ba da boom, ba da, bing!!!!

Bold 2…Ba da boom, ba da, bing!!!!
    Oh and for those that can't find fair and equitable ways to judge enact repercussions
    Last edited by brett05; 07-20-2020 at 10:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sluggo1 View Post
    Hispanics will have a reason as to why they deserve reparations.
    i think those reasons are called California, AriZona, New Mexico and Texas.

Quote Originally Posted by GGGGG-Men View Post
    i think those reasons are called California, AriZona, New Mexico and Texas.
    Weren't they the spoils of war????

The Mexicans lost. The US won.

Man oh man, I hope someone has the Bill of Sale for Manhattan. I'd hate to give that back.

No.

Reparations

Weren't they the spoils of war????

The Mexicans lost. The US won.

Man oh man, I hope someone has the Bill of Sale for Manhattan. I'd hate to give that back.
    Conquerors gonna conquer.

And Manhattan was theft. All the jokes about how little the natives were paid. Well (1) the alternative was to be killed for it and (2) the Europeans paid a tribe in Canarsie for Manhattan who weren’t even the tribe inhabiting it.

And give it back? Do you own it? Give it back to other citizens?

There should be reparations imo

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Click here to register!

Hope to see some new posters around here soon.

Quote Originally Posted by blams View Post

but if so, what should they look like and to whom?
    gotta love 'referential' treatment

Quote Originally Posted by SiteWolf View Post
    but if so, what should they look like and to whom?
    Land ownership or profit shares of businesses on former tribal land to native Americans.

Tax cuts for African Americans, credits if they’re out of work.

Let’s start with that.

The reality is if we fix the broken pieces of the overall system, reparations requests will fade. But minorities can’t even ask to not be killed while being an unarmed nonthreatening citizen without resistance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by blams View Post

And in about 5 years…the money will have been spent, there will be just as many single parent households and out of wedlock births, the education level of African Americans will not have changed.

Then what??? What is the next solution to their plight????

Quote Originally Posted by GGGGG-Men View Post
    Land ownership or profit shares of businesses on former tribal land to native Americans.

Tax cuts for African Americans, credits if they’re out of work.

Let’s start with that.

The reality is if we fix the broken pieces of the overall system, reparations requests will fade. But minorities can’t even ask to not be killed while being an unarmed nonthreatening citizen without resistance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    But to give land or business ownership you're taking it away from a private citizen. Now, if you're talking government owned land, it wouldn't...problem is, often times there's an environmental/land conservation reason the government controls it in the first place.

Then there's the question re African Americans...if it's reparations related to slavery, how do people show they're descendents of US slaves? If it's reparations for ongoing opression period, similar question. I mean if I just emigrated here from Ethiopia I just basically got reparations when I got here.

I can understand reparations. Who pays for it gets much cloudier as does who gets it. Maybe rather than any direct money or taking away from a private citizen reparation comes in the form of scholarships, tuition waivers, school loan forgiveness and like you mention tax cuts. However, tax cuts mean little to someone who doesn't make much and even free college doesn't mean much to someone who refuses to go (like the failed Gear Up program proved where tens of millions were spent to persuade and help natives go to college and very few did). So, I'm talking myself in circles I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by SiteWolf View Post
    But to give land or business ownership you're taking it away from a private citizen. Now, if you're talking government owned land, it wouldn't...problem is, often times there's an environmental/land conservation reason the government controls it in the first place.

Then there's the question re African Americans...if it's reparations related to slavery, how do people show they're descendents of US slaves? If it's reparations for ongoing opression period, similar question. I mean if I just emigrated here from Ethiopia I just basically got reparations when I got here.

I can understand reparations. Who pays for it gets much cloudier as does who gets it. Maybe rather than any direct money or taking away from a private citizen reparation comes in the form of scholarships, tuition waivers, school loan forgiveness and like you mention tax cuts. However, tax cuts mean little to someone who doesn't make much and even free college doesn't mean much to someone who refuses to go (like the failed Gear Up program proved where tens of millions were spent to persuade and help natives go to college and very few did). So, I'm talking myself in circles I guess.
    If all this is done and the life of African Americans does not change (and it won't for the vast majority)…then what????

If all this is done and the life of African Americans does not change (and it won't for the vast majority)…then what????
    Firstly, I only threw out some ideas...and those probably aren't the best ones. It would make more sense attacking some problems not specifically meant to be reparations.........such as massive housing improvements in inner cities, looking into ways to improve the culture blend between reservation life and life off it so fewer natives remain in the poverty cycles they're in....on top of tuition waivers, etc...........and NONE of that more important than just the sweeping anti-oppression changes that hopefully come from the current atmosphere.

I whether not give out money, tax cuts or short term remedy to one group of people. How about making apart of a major social push for everyone. Medicare for all, greatly improve our educational system on the level of most wealthy of us, college tution reduction to match student family wages, if poverty level free. Middle class, no more then two month salary. This just spit balling, but these would have long term effect while strictly enforcing that all americans share equally by income levels. Call it a reparations to the american people for being ripped off for centuries by the upper class with the blessing of the government. Any economical for minorities and small business can use the same guideline.

This isn't about money so much being treated fairly, equally and ensuring the ability to rise out of proverty or staying out of poverty.
    There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.

Will Rogers

I just don't see how just paiding off people will solve problems old or new.
    There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.

Will Rogers

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast