Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by SiteWolf View Post
    there are some situations where the 'benefit' is choosing the lesser detriment
    ....kinda like most of our presidential elections
    How is the escrow proposal the lesser detriment?

Especially if you consider that NFL players may have family and friends who are under economic hardship right now.

Quote Originally Posted by QB_Eagles View Post

Especially if you consider that NFL players may have family and friends who are under economic hardship right now.
    I don't believe I said it was, I was just making the point that there are situations where both sides have to give something up....which way is better I haven't had time to look into
    gotta love 'referential' treatment

At this point, it's been laid out to you, in detail, by several posters. If you don't understand now, it's because you don't want to.

Go ahead and reject the escrow proposal. Most stadiums will be operating at a limited or zero capacity, half the preseason is gone with the other half in jeopardy. With the kneeling round 2, I assume some tv viewers will tune out, especially with every other major league bleeding into the NFL's season slot.

That's just to name a few revenue streams, players get their regular salaries, while the league operates at a loss. All the while they're in a contract agreement with the owners, so when they're only supposed to be receiving 48% of the revenue split, as negotiated in the CBA and they far exceed that... Then the owners will get that back, with a huge decrease in cap, next season. I'm sure that will be great for the players, their family & friends.

Quote Originally Posted by NBA all the way View Post
    At this point, it's been laid out to you, in detail, by several posters. If you don't understand now, it's because you don't want to.

Go ahead and reject the escrow proposal. Most stadiums will be operating at a limited or zero capacity, half the preseason is gone with the other half in jeopardy. With the kneeling round 2, I assume some tv viewers will tune out, especially with every other major league bleeding into the NFL's season slot.

That's just to name a few revenue streams, players get their regular salaries, while the league operates at a loss. All the while they're in a contract agreement with the owners, so when they're only supposed to be receiving 48% of the revenue split, as negotiated in the CBA and they far exceed that... Then the owners will get that back, with a huge decrease in cap, next season. I'm sure that will be great for the players, their family & friends.
    Putting money in escrow won't prevent any of that.

Putting money in escrow won't prevent any of that.
    It will certainly help the revenue get closer to the agreed upon 48% in the CBA

It will certainly help the revenue get closer to the agreed upon 48% in the CBA
    No, it wouldn't.

Are you sure I'm the one who isn't understanding the escrow proposal?

No, it wouldn't.

Are you sure I'm the one who isn't understanding the escrow proposal?
    I'm 100% positive you're not. But it's cool, Google is a thing and there are financial/economic threads here.

Players are stupid. NBA players turning down cap smoothing because they "claimed" owners were trying to "steal" from them is proof.

Quote Originally Posted by warfelg View Post
    Players are stupid. NBA players turning down cap smoothing because they "claimed" owners were trying to "steal" from them is proof.
    Yup, NFL players are screaming the same sentiment currently. When there is a massive cap drop in 2021, people will look back and say "we should've tried to negotiate/collectively bargain that escrow proposal".

But it's more a matter of most humans are reactive, not proactive and by the time they want to try and do something, it's too late.

Quote Originally Posted by warfelg View Post
    There was never any "cap smoothing" proposed by the NFL owners.

Yup, NFL players are screaming the same sentiment currently. When there is a massive cap drop in 2021, people will look back and say "we should've tried to negotiate/collectively bargain that escrow proposal".

But it's more a matter of most humans are reactive, not proactive and by the time they want to try and do something, it's too late.
    *NOW* is the economic downturn, not next year.

Players may have friends and family who lost their jobs, or a small business that went under.

Players can prepare for the cap dropping next year. They can put money away on their own; they don't need the owners to do so.

I've asked several times: what is *one* advantage the players have from accepting this escrow proposal? Everyone seems to understand it so much better than me, so that should be very easy to answer. So far the only argument for it in this thread was, "I want to see games this year and the proposal makes that more likely." Which, OK, at least that's being honest. But don't go around calling players stupid and reactive for not agreeing to it.

There was never any "cap smoothing" proposed by the NFL owners.

*NOW* is the economic downturn, not next year.

Players may have friends and family who lost their jobs, or a small business that went under.

Players can prepare for the cap dropping next year. They can put money away on their own; they don't need the owners to do so.

I've asked several times: what is *one* advantage the players have from accepting this escrow proposal? Everyone seems to understand it so much better than me, so that should be very easy to answer. So far the only argument for it in this thread was, "I want to see games this year and the proposal makes that more likely." Which, OK, at least that's being honest. But don't go around calling players stupid and reactive for not agreeing to it.
    If you think this will only impact the now, you're sadly mistaken.

Anyway, the answer is and always has been the advantage is so the cap doesn't drop by $80 million next season. Is $80 million, the high estimate, sure. But the initial $25 million that was released is now said to be too low.

It's a guessing game, no one knows exactly how far the revenue will drop, everyone just knows it'll drop. Whatever it lands at the players collectively bargained they would only take 48% of that revenue split. If they all get full salaries, they're going to be WAY over their negotiated 48%, how high it'll go, who knows. It's not really that difficult to see how A impacts B.

If you think this will only impact the now, you're sadly mistaken.

Anyway, the answer is and always has been the advantage is so the cap doesn't drop by $80 million next season. Is $80 million, the high estimate, sure. But the initial $25 million that was released is now said to be too low.

It's a guessing game, no one knows exactly how far the revenue will drop, everyone just knows it'll drop. Whatever it lands at the players collectively bargained they would only take 48% of that revenue split. If they all get full salaries, they're going to be WAY over their negotiated 48%, how high it'll go, who knows. It's not really that difficult to see how A impacts B.
    Putting part of the 2020 salaries in escrow has nothing to do with the expected decrease in the 2021 salary cap!

The salaries would have fully counted against the 2020 cap regardless.

This would be a completely different conversation if the proposal actually included cap adjustments, which would have to be collectively bargained.

Putting part of the 2020 salaries in escrow has nothing to do with the expected decrease in the 2021 salary cap!

The salaries would have fully counted against the 2020 cap regardless.

This would be a completely different conversation if the proposal actually included cap adjustments, which would have to be collectively bargained.
    Dude it's a REVENUE split. The owners are going to lose ticket sales, concession sales, merch sales, probably betting sales, tv viewers.

Forget the words escrow and cap. Put them out of your mind, for this exercise. 1. The NFLPA and NFL agreed to a revenue split, which is outlined in the CBA 2. That split is 48% to the players 3. Because of things going on in the world, the revenue is going to be less than initially projected 4. If the players receive more than 48% of that revenue split because they're getting paid full salaries while stands are empty or limited capacity, what do you think will happen?

This is a simple step by step process, if you get lost anywhere during this 4 step process, just write back, during which step you lose understanding and aren't able to follow along anymore.

For good measure, here is a tweet from a guy with 170,000 followers and a verified check next to his name, to maybe break it down differently than myself and the other 5 posters have for you.

Dude it's a REVENUE split. The owners are going to lose ticket sales, concession sales, merch sales, probably betting sales, tv viewers.

Forget the words escrow and cap. Put them out of your mind, for this exercise. 1. The NFLPA and NFL agreed to a revenue split, which is outlined in the CBA 2. That split is 48% to the players 3. Because of things going on in the world, the revenue is going to be less than initially projected 4. If the players receive more than 48% of that revenue split because they're getting paid full salaries while stands are empty or limited capacity, what do you think will happen?
    Owners will make less profit.

Like I said, nowhere in this thread has anyone made an argument that this proposal would benefit the players.

Owners will make less profit.

Like I said, nowhere in this thread has anyone made an argument that this proposal would benefit the players.

That's not how contracts work lol the players aren't going to take 70% or more of the revenue split, when the CBA they signed says they can only take 48%.

I'm sure billionaires and well functioning businesses just operate at losses for the heck of it, all the time. Get real!

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast