Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkieMark48 View Post
    Well thats the point. My original reply to this topic was to someone saying the owners have no risk.
    Someone may have said no risk but everyone knows there's some risk. But it's very minimal which is the point everyone is making. The risk is essentially the league drying up and that's mostly it. Otherwise large portions of the money comes from TV contracts that are negotiated for relatively long periods of time. Viewership for pro sports is falling, but so is viewership for everything. And proportionally, pro sports still kills other live programming. The money for these leagues is not going away any time soon. Even if they take minor steps back, most of these owners have made so much money is asset growth since they bought the team that they have plenty of wiggle room if franchise values fall.

Forbes team values continue to inflate. And when teams actually come for sale, they lately have been selling for above forbes valuation prices. So even the franchise alue growth is probably understated in the real world if someone decided to sell.

Quote Originally Posted by crewfan13 View Post
    No one said you need to be knowledgeable to run a successful football operation financially. Even bad teams make money, especially bad teams in decent markets. And if anything, the league practically foolproofs it for you by guaranteeing a revenue split.
    I was a Redskins fan, I am fully aware that bad teams make money.
    YOU JUST MADE THE LIST!!!!!

HAPPY RUSSEV DAY!!!

2019 PSD Fantasy Nascar Champion

Someone may have said no risk but everyone knows there's some risk. But it's very minimal which is the point everyone is making. The risk is essentially the league drying up and that's mostly it. Otherwise large portions of the money comes from TV contracts that are negotiated for relatively long periods of time. Viewership for pro sports is falling, but so is viewership for everything. And proportionally, pro sports still kills other live programming. The money for these leagues is not going away any time soon. Even if they take minor steps back, most of these owners have made so much money is asset growth since they bought the team that they have plenty of wiggle room if franchise values fall.

Forbes team values continue to inflate. And when teams actually come for sale, they lately have been selling for above forbes valuation prices. So even the franchise alue growth is probably understated in the real world if someone decided to sell.

Or like a global pandemic that basically puts everything on hold.

some of it is going away literally as we speak, but youve convinced me if I ever win the lottery I'm definitely buying a sports team since its idiot proof.
    Last edited by MarkieMark48; 07-30-2020 at 04:33 PM.

HAPPY RUSSEV DAY!!!

Quote Originally Posted by MarkieMark48 View Post
    Or like a global pandemic that basically puts everything on hold.

some of it is going away literally as we speak, but youve convinced me if I ever win the lottery I'm definitely buying a sports team since its idiot proof.
    But a global pandemic doesn't even do it. All that will happen if nothing is negotiated is that the cap drops next year and the owners recoup the money next year or a year or two down the road. If you're an owner and you haven't squirreled away enough for your franchise to survive some short term losses that the league is designed to allow you to make up, then you're an idiot.

And it takes more than a lottery win, but youre intentionally being obtuse so what's the point. Investing literally every dime you own into a franchise carries some risk because there is year to year fluctuation, no different than the stock market. And if you're forced to cash out at a bad time, you run the risk of losing some. But for the guys and gals that can legitimately afford to buy a franchise, they have enough money to cover a bad year knowing they'll recoup the gains.

In 5 years, no nfl team owner will still be hurting from this pandemic.

But a global pandemic doesn't even do it. All that will happen if nothing is negotiated is that the cap drops next year and the owners recoup the money next year or a year or two down the road. If you're an owner and you haven't squirreled away enough for your franchise to survive some short term losses that the league is designed to allow you to make up, then you're an idiot.

And it takes more than a lottery win, but youre intentionally being obtuse so what's the point. Investing literally every dime you own into a franchise carries some risk because there is year to year fluctuation, no different than the stock market. And if you're forced to cash out at a bad time, you run the risk of losing some. But for the guys and gals that can legitimately afford to buy a franchise, they have enough money to cover a bad year knowing they'll recoup the gains.

In 5 years, no nfl team owner will still be hurting from this pandemic.
    BINGOOOOOOO!!!! I completely get what youre saying, I do.. most owners can afford the risk, and if they lose money its probably no big deal to them, but its still a risk.

The risk of losing a dollar is still a risk of losing a dollar. A billionaire buying a lottery ticket for $X has the same risk of losing that $X as I do if I were to buy the same lottery ticket, its the same thing as making the same bet on a sporting event or a game of poker, fantasy football whatever... The risk stays the same, however it doesnt potentially effect the billionaire as much as it effects me.

You think(I hope because that mean sports will be back to normal). Who knows what going to happen?
    Last edited by MarkieMark48; 07-31-2020 at 08:22 AM.

HAPPY RUSSEV DAY!!!

Quote Originally Posted by warfelg View Post
    Looking at the top 51 (what counts to the offseason cap) Theres 14 teams over the $175 mil number.

This next subset is interesting. 16-21 in this chart are under but draft picks arenít accounted for (roughly $10-15 million) and that filling out is done via minimum contracts.

So itís really NYJ, Ari, Was; Bal, Cin, NE, LAC, Jac, Ind. Think of that group who has some rookies to extend (Indy, Bal most notable).

So spending in 2021 will for sure take a hit.
    Yeah but I'm a bit unimpressed with those lists... They don't show possible roll over cap for each team.

Quote Originally Posted by mgjohnson7851 View Post
    Yeah but I'm a bit unimpressed with those lists... They don't show possible roll over cap for each team.
    That's because we don't know who's going to use it. I would bet the grouping from 16-21 on that list 100% use it just to even open up $5-10mil in cap room for a signing.

I think we are missing the point of the Risk. The reason they keep ALL the asset appreciation is that they take the "risk" of putting their capital into the enterprise. What I complain about is when they want their cake and eat it too by proclaiming that labor should share equally in their REALIZED RISK by minimizing the reduction in their operating profits. Each team gets about 250 million plus a year from the revenue sharing on the long term TV contracts as of 2018. This number comes from the Green Bay packers books since they are a public entity. 250 million plus some local merchandising covers ALL the owners football operations. There will be new TV deals and huge legal gambling money flowing into the league in 2 years. They will likely reach an agreement with the players to smooth out the salary cap hit next year and spread over 10 years so it is hardly noticeable. The owners will be just fine.

The players at Roma soccer club took 50% pay cuts then an American billionaire buys the club lol

Bet they want their money now lol

this sounds so unfair but given the high salaries nfl players get-according to NFL quiz-, i can understand that team owners would want to have some whip in their hands right ?!
    Last edited by nflisgreat; 09-09-2020 at 02:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by nflisgreat View Post
    this sounds so unfair but given the high salaries nfl players get, i can understand that team owners would want to have some whip in their hands right ?!
    Did you mean it to sound like the owners are slave masters? Was just curious on the terminology "whip in hand". The salaries the players get relative to other non football salaries is irrelevant in regard to the economics of the NFL. I make a lot more than a mechanic but doesn't mean I should have to give up my salary because others might think I make too much.

Quote Originally Posted by zookman65 View Post
    Did you mean it to sound like the owners are slave masters? Was just curious on the terminology "whip in hand". The salaries the players get relative to other non football salaries is irrelevant in regard to the economics of the NFL. I make a lot more than a mechanic but doesn't mean I should have to give up my salary because others might think I make too much.
    its like you are trying to get me wrong ! All im saying is that you may want to have a tool of motivation so that your player wont do something out of the blue....say not show up for the training

Quote Originally Posted by nflisgreat View Post
    its like you are trying to get me wrong ! All im saying is that you may want to have a tool of motivation so that your player wont do something out of the blue....say not show up for the training
    Ok thanks buddy. Will be interesting to see what happens to the cap coming out of the pandemic.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678