Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
Results 91 to 105 of 118
  1. #91
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Central VA
    Posts
    12,714
    Quote Originally Posted by crewfan13 View Post
    You do realize low risk doesn't mean what you're trying to make it mean right?

    There's a certain level of required capital to own a professional sports team. But for the individuals who have that level of capital, the risk is pretty low.

    The hornets were forced to sell back in the day sort of. But since Benson bought the team less than 10 years ago, the value of the team has nearly quadrupled according to forbes. And Shinn owned the team for ~25 years and still sold for nearly 10 times what he paid for it.

    With collectively bargained revenues, it's pretty low risk, especially with sports showing very little sign of money slowing down. If anything, it's accelerating in most sports but basketball in particular.
    If the risk is so low to the wealthy, then why doesnt everyone that can afford to own one, own one? Sure theres X amount of teams right now, but whats keeping someone from starting a basketball team in Seattle? or an NFL team overseas? From what I understand the NFL is chomping at the bit to put a team permanently in London... Theres a certain level of knowledge someone needs to know on how to run a sports franchise, and not everyone that can stoke a huge check has it.
    YOU JUST MADE THE LIST!!!!!

    HAPPY RUSSEV DAY!!!

    2019 PSD Fantasy Nascar Champion

  2. #92
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Central VA
    Posts
    12,714
    Quote Originally Posted by zookman65 View Post
    The enterprise itself is low risk, you the borrower with insufficient funds isn't. Your analogy is weak in reality. I think we have different definitions of risk when it comes to the future enterprise value of the pro sports team.
    Agreed, not every person that can afford one knows how to run one.
    YOU JUST MADE THE LIST!!!!!

    HAPPY RUSSEV DAY!!!

    2019 PSD Fantasy Nascar Champion

  3. #93
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    20,411
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkieMark48 View Post
    If the risk is so low to the wealthy, then why doesnt everyone that can afford to own one, own one? Sure theres X amount of teams right now, but whats keeping someone from starting a basketball team in Seattle? or an NFL team overseas? From what I understand the NFL is chomping at the bit to put a team permanently in London... Theres a certain level of knowledge someone needs to know on how to run a sports franchise, and not everyone that can stoke a huge check has it.
    Ummm there'd be 500 NFL teams if there NFL would allow it lol.

    Sports league's have to limit how many teams they have so that the league doesn't become watered down garbage.

    As an owner you can hire people to run the team for you so that all you're doing is signing checks... There's been quite a few owners to do so.

  4. #94
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Metroplex
    Posts
    2,773
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkieMark48 View Post
    If the risk is so low to the wealthy, then why doesnt everyone that can afford to own one, own one? Sure theres X amount of teams right now, but whats keeping someone from starting a basketball team in Seattle? or an NFL team overseas? From what I understand the NFL is chomping at the bit to put a team permanently in London... Theres a certain level of knowledge someone needs to know on how to run a sports franchise, and not everyone that can stoke a huge check has it.
    First someone has to agree to sale a team and secondly the league owners need to collectively agree to let the person with the money into the ownership group. Remember when the NFL owners wouldn't let POTUS buy a team in the 80s? Turned out to be a wise decision but that's another matter.

  5. #95
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Central VA
    Posts
    12,714
    Quote Originally Posted by zookman65 View Post
    First someone has to agree to sale a team and secondly the league owners need to collectively agree to let the person with the money into the ownership group. Remember when the NFL owners wouldn't let POTUS buy a team in the 80s? Turned out to be a wise decision but that's another matter.
    so we agree that just because you have the money, doesnt mean your fit or have the knowledge to run a successful professional sports team
    YOU JUST MADE THE LIST!!!!!

    HAPPY RUSSEV DAY!!!

    2019 PSD Fantasy Nascar Champion

  6. #96
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Central VA
    Posts
    12,714
    Quote Originally Posted by mgjohnson7851 View Post
    Ummm there'd be 500 NFL teams if there NFL would allow it lol.

    Sports league's have to limit how many teams they have so that the league doesn't become watered down garbage.

    As an owner you can hire people to run the team for you so that all you're doing is signing checks... There's been quite a few owners to do so.
    I agree with all of those points... but I guess my point is that buying something that costs hundreds of millions or billions of dollars carries some risk.
    YOU JUST MADE THE LIST!!!!!

    HAPPY RUSSEV DAY!!!

    2019 PSD Fantasy Nascar Champion

  7. #97
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    20,411
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkieMark48 View Post
    I agree with all of those points... but I guess my point is that buying something that costs hundreds of millions or billions of dollars carries some risk.
    Of course it does... Most of the individual owners' total wealth is invested in those teams lol

  8. #98
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    IL
    Posts
    26,290
    Some people just don't get that the US is socialism for the rich and brutal oligarchal capitalism for the rest. Yes, they invest a lot of money into these teams. But their livelihood or wealth is NEVER at risk. The system is set up for them to retain wealth and status no matter what happens.



    Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

    Click here to register!

    Hope to see some new posters around here soon.

  9. #99
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    4,335
    Quote Originally Posted by blams View Post
    Some people just don't get that the US is socialism for the rich and brutal oligarchal capitalism for the rest. Yes, they invest a lot of money into these teams. But their livelihood or wealth is NEVER at risk. The system is set up for them to retain wealth and status no matter what happens.


    Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    shhhh....people don't want to listen to how true your statement is. Socialism for the rich, capitalism for the poor. If you're into podcasts I would recommend listening to Pitchfork Economics - How the radical Right weaponized ideology (with Nancy MacLean).

  10. #100
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    20,411
    If the 2021 cap really hits the floor of $175M, I feel bad for all the Eagles fans. The Eagles will have to shed about $65M just to get under the cap (And that's assuming that they keep all $22M in cap space this year to roll over). Then they'll have to shed about $10M more to sign their rookies.

    Covid or not it seems like Howie really ****ed that team up financially. Even if the cap went up to $215 like originally thought, the Eagles would still be well over it.

  11. #101
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Posts
    59,622
    Quote Originally Posted by mgjohnson7851 View Post
    If the 2021 cap really hits the floor of $175M, I feel bad for all the Eagles fans. The Eagles will have to shed about $65M just to get under the cap (And that's assuming that they keep all $22M in cap space this year to roll over). Then they'll have to shed about $10M more to sign their rookies.

    Covid or not it seems like Howie really ****ed that team up financially. Even if the cap went up to $215 like originally thought, the Eagles would still be well over it.
    I think all but 4 teams are over that number. But grumble grumble Alshon Jeffrey grumble grumble DeSean Jackson grumble grumble players that donít matter.

  12. #102
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Central VA
    Posts
    12,714
    Quote Originally Posted by mgjohnson7851 View Post
    Of course it does... Most of the individual owners' total wealth is invested in those teams lol
    Well thats the point. My original reply to this topic was to someone saying the owners have no risk.
    YOU JUST MADE THE LIST!!!!!

    HAPPY RUSSEV DAY!!!

    2019 PSD Fantasy Nascar Champion

  13. #103
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    20,411
    Quote Originally Posted by warfelg View Post
    I think all but 4 teams are over that number. But grumble grumble Alshon Jeffrey grumble grumble DeSean Jackson grumble grumble players that donít matter.
    There's only 13 teams projected to be over that number from what I saw

  14. #104
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Posts
    59,622
    Quote Originally Posted by mgjohnson7851 View Post
    There's only 13 teams projected to be over that number from what I saw
    Looking at the top 51 (what counts to the offseason cap) Theres 14 teams over the $175 mil number.


    This next subset is interesting. 16-21 in this chart are under but draft picks arenít accounted for (roughly $10-15 million) and that filling out is done via minimum contracts.

    So itís really NYJ, Ari, Was; Bal, Cin, NE, LAC, Jac, Ind. Think of that group who has some rookies to extend (Indy, Bal most notable).

    So spending in 2021 will for sure take a hit.

  15. #105
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    12,105
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkieMark48 View Post
    so we agree that just because you have the money, doesnt mean your fit or have the knowledge to run a successful professional sports team
    No one said you need to be knowledgeable to run a successful football operation financially. Even bad teams make money, especially bad teams in decent markets. And if anything, the league practically foolproofs it for you by guaranteeing a revenue split.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •