Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 118
  1. #61
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Posts
    59,666
    If league revenue sharing decreases and runs out, players just won’t get paychecks from owners. They are better off agreeing to something now that looks “worse” for the reality of worse.

  2. #62
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    [emoji288]
    Posts
    17,259
    Quote Originally Posted by NBA all the way View Post
    That's not how contracts work lol the players aren't going to take 70% or more of the revenue split, when the CBA they signed says they can only take 48%.
    The 2020 cap is based on the 2019 revenue.

    Quote Originally Posted by warfelg View Post
    If league revenue sharing decreases and runs out, players just won’t get paychecks from owners.
    Which is grounds for a lawsuit. Even the poorest owner has enough assets to keep their teams paid this season. Both sides have more to lose if the season doesn't take place.

  3. #63
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Posts
    59,666
    Quote Originally Posted by QB_Eagles View Post
    The 2020 cap is based on the 2019 revenue.


    Which is grounds for a lawsuit. Even the poorest owner has enough assets to keep their teams paid this season. Both sides have more to lose if the season doesn't take place.
    Good luck winning that lawsuit.

  4. #64
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    [emoji288]
    Posts
    17,259
    Quote Originally Posted by warfelg View Post
    Good luck winning that lawsuit.
    If they play, they get paid the full amount. It's a simple as that.

    The owners could of course just take their ball and go home; I wonder if as many fans will be ready to defend them then.

  5. #65
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    20,411
    The escrow isn't meant to save the players this year. It's meant for 2021 when the salary cap could be $50M lower than this year.

    Say the cap goes down from $198M this year to $150M next year. Right now, there's only 8 NFL teams projected to be under $150M. Another 7 teams could probably get under it fairly easily because they would be less than $12M over the cap. But there's currently 13 teams that would need to shed at least $30M to get under the cap and 2 teams that would need to shed over $100M each to get under the cap (Eagles and Saints). If nothing is done, then there will be a TON of players that get cut simply because the team came afford to keep them. And with such a shrink in the salary cap, they won't be able to get much in free agency.

    Teams know this, and the players and their agents know it as well. So what likely will happen is something like this:

    Fletcher Cox is due to make $22.4M next year with a dead cap of $15.3M. The Eagles will go up to Cox and say "We really like you but we can't keep you at $22M. How about we restructure to what your dead cap is and you make $15M instead. Cox knows that he won't get anything near $15M on the open market so he reluctantly agrees to that deal. That's a 32% decrease in his salary for 2021.

    I guess that would be the only real benefit to the players. It would protect them quite a bit more next year.

  6. #66
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Posts
    59,666
    Quote Originally Posted by mgjohnson7851 View Post
    The escrow isn't meant to save the players this year. It's meant for 2021 when the salary cap could be $50M lower than this year.

    Say the cap goes down from $198M this year to $150M next year. Right now, there's only 8 NFL teams projected to be under $150M. Another 7 teams could probably get under it fairly easily because they would be less than $12M over the cap. But there's currently 13 teams that would need to shed at least $30M to get under the cap and 2 teams that would need to shed over $100M each to get under the cap (Eagles and Saints). If nothing is done, then there will be a TON of players that get cut simply because the team came afford to keep them. And with such a shrink in the salary cap, they won't be able to get much in free agency.

    Teams know this, and the players and their agents know it as well. So what likely will happen is something like this:

    Fletcher Cox is due to make $22.4M next year with a dead cap of $15.3M. The Eagles will go up to Cox and say "We really like you but we can't keep you at $22M. How about we restructure to what your dead cap is and you make $15M instead. Cox knows that he won't get anything near $15M on the open market so he reluctantly agrees to that deal. That's a 32% decrease in his salary for 2021.

    I guess that would be the only real benefit to the players. It would protect them quite a bit more next year.
    Agree with much of what you say here. I think part of it is to protect the owners this year too. And we shouldn't be against that TBH. There's quite a few teams that operate the team with using the revenue they get from these revenue sharing processes (Chargers, Steelers, Raiders, Giants, Bears, Bengals, Packers off the top of my head) because they don't have massive holdings outside of the teams. If we were to force ownership groups to pay out of their own pockets for a balance of the 2020 season, then it could become a huge issue for the league.

    And if we expand this to future years, we could see the massive cap drop like you are projecting, and we could se a very slow recovery of the cap. From a financial standpoint you are 100% on point with what you pointed out. Guys all over the place getting cut.

    But there's also another level to this. Some of these cut guys won't really be able to latch onto other teams because of the lack of cap, and their minimum contracts would be higher than 1st or 2nd year players and UDFA's. Look at a team like the Browns for 2021 then. They are going to have a Baker Mayfield extension starting to loom on them some, along with Nick Chubb. For 2021 the Browns already have $181mil committed in salaries. If the cap goes to $150, they have to get down to the $130mil range to replace cuts and sign draft picks. To do that means losing OBJ, Sheldon Richardson, JC Tretter, Joel Bitonio (all starters), David Njoku and Chris Hubbard (likely cuts/trades anyways), Adrian Clayborne (depth). So that's 2 OL to have to replace with minimum players. A stud WR. A good starting DL. And a decent depth piece. The quality of the play is going to take a massive hit in that case.

    And if you use that line of $130mil being what you can spend max wise to replace all the players and sign draft picks, you are talking about basically 5 teams being able to sign players to contracts that aren't minimum contracts. The NFL would want to avoid that at all costs.

  7. #67
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    113,148
    tbh... if i am the billion dollar owners.... i take my ball and go home and watch as the other side instantly breaks first.... it sucks and owners wont do it because of greed but they should and if they did they would have all the power period.

  8. #68
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    113,148
    Quote Originally Posted by mgjohnson7851 View Post
    The escrow isn't meant to save the players this year. It's meant for 2021 when the salary cap could be $50M lower than this year.

    Say the cap goes down from $198M this year to $150M next year. Right now, there's only 8 NFL teams projected to be under $150M. Another 7 teams could probably get under it fairly easily because they would be less than $12M over the cap. But there's currently 13 teams that would need to shed at least $30M to get under the cap and 2 teams that would need to shed over $100M each to get under the cap (Eagles and Saints). If nothing is done, then there will be a TON of players that get cut simply because the team came afford to keep them. And with such a shrink in the salary cap, they won't be able to get much in free agency.

    Teams know this, and the players and their agents know it as well. So what likely will happen is something like this:

    Fletcher Cox is due to make $22.4M next year with a dead cap of $15.3M. The Eagles will go up to Cox and say "We really like you but we can't keep you at $22M. How about we restructure to what your dead cap is and you make $15M instead. Cox knows that he won't get anything near $15M on the open market so he reluctantly agrees to that deal. That's a 32% decrease in his salary for 2021.

    I guess that would be the only real benefit to the players. It would protect them quite a bit more next year.
    how much do the players lose this year compared to the owners if there isnt a league? i am curious by the way or if there isnt a league going forward.... the owners always have all the risk tbh... i feel like this would hurt them far more.

  9. #69
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Posts
    59,666
    Quote Originally Posted by More-Than-Most View Post
    how much do the players lose this year compared to the owners if there isnt a league? i am curious by the way or if there isnt a league going forward.... the owners always have all the risk tbh... i feel like this would hurt them far more.
    ELL that’s the thing and what’s sorta being ignored. If the players agree to a 35% escrow they still get 100% of their 2020 salary. They just won’t get all of it in 2020. By not putting it in escrow there’s a chance ownerships might not have the flexibility to pay the full salary now or be able to have cash on hand for the future (key in paying upfront bonuses). That’s why I compared it to when NBA players turned down cap smoothing. In both cases owners are looking at a short term sacrifice from players for long term gains. Seems as though some players and fans are being sold on the owners are trying to steal from players.

  10. #70
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    20,411
    Quote Originally Posted by More-Than-Most View Post
    how much do the players lose this year compared to the owners if there isnt a league? i am curious by the way or if there isnt a league going forward.... the owners always have all the risk tbh... i feel like this would hurt them far more.
    I think the total amount owed to the players this year is around $5B.

  11. #71
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    3,452
    Quote Originally Posted by mgjohnson7851 View Post
    The escrow isn't meant to save the players this year. It's meant for 2021 when the salary cap could be $50M lower than this year.

    Say the cap goes down from $198M this year to $150M next year. Right now, there's only 8 NFL teams projected to be under $150M. Another 7 teams could probably get under it fairly easily because they would be less than $12M over the cap. But there's currently 13 teams that would need to shed at least $30M to get under the cap and 2 teams that would need to shed over $100M each to get under the cap (Eagles and Saints). If nothing is done, then there will be a TON of players that get cut simply because the team came afford to keep them. And with such a shrink in the salary cap, they won't be able to get much in free agency.

    Teams know this, and the players and their agents know it as well. So what likely will happen is something like this:

    Fletcher Cox is due to make $22.4M next year with a dead cap of $15.3M. The Eagles will go up to Cox and say "We really like you but we can't keep you at $22M. How about we restructure to what your dead cap is and you make $15M instead. Cox knows that he won't get anything near $15M on the open market so he reluctantly agrees to that deal. That's a 32% decrease in his salary for 2021.

    I guess that would be the only real benefit to the players. It would protect them quite a bit more next year.

  12. #72
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    113,148
    Quote Originally Posted by mgjohnson7851 View Post
    I think the total amount owed to the players this year is around $5B.
    i understand that the players make a lot but how much do they lose compared to the owners? The players have the risk in terms of safety but lets be clear the owners give no ****s... they only care about cash much like 99.9 percent of the rest of the world which is understandable...

    so if the league plays with no fans in the seats does that hurt the players contracts this season? Does that hurt what the owners who have all the financial risk make this season? We are all quick to assume and jump at owners being greedy etc but this is a business and what the league is actually doing might benefit the players going forward.... there is going to be a huge cap drop after this season and nobody is going to be safe much like War stated...

    again everyone wants to **** on the owners but financially they have all the risk and skin in the game. If the league loses billions the owners hurt but the players will still get their to a point.... if I am the owners id tell the Players and the NFPA to kick rocks and sit back and enjoy my billions while the players hands are forced

  13. #73
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Metroplex
    Posts
    2,773
    Quote Originally Posted by More-Than-Most View Post
    how much do the players lose this year compared to the owners if there isnt a league? i am curious by the way or if there isnt a league going forward.... the owners always have all the risk tbh... i feel like this would hurt them far more.
    The owners of pro sports teams have zero risk. This is one of the biggest fallacies perpetuated by common folk in defense of the owners. Tax subsidized stadiums, salary caps to protect each other from the other owners, ever growing TV contracts and soon to be harvesting of gambling proceeds. Risk? LMAO

  14. #74
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Central VA
    Posts
    12,714
    Quote Originally Posted by zookman65 View Post
    The owners of pro sports teams have zero risk. This is one of the biggest fallacies perpetuated by common folk in defense of the owners. Tax subsidized stadiums, salary caps to protect each other from the other owners, ever growing TV contracts and soon to be harvesting of gambling proceeds. Risk? LMAO
    Timberwolves are for sale, no risk? lets buy them.
    YOU JUST MADE THE LIST!!!!!

    HAPPY RUSSEV DAY!!!

    2019 PSD Fantasy Nascar Champion

  15. #75
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Metroplex
    Posts
    2,773
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkieMark48 View Post
    Timberwolves are for sale, no risk? lets buy them.
    I will throw in 1,000 and you can pick up the rest. Partners.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •