Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 14 of 24 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by QB_Eagles View Post
    Hasnít been a good week for the organization.
    Good damage control.

How do the situations compare?

Brees didn't say anything racist. What he said was disappointing to a lot of people, including his teammates, because he called them disrespectful for protesting and that he would never agree with them.

Jackson posted a page with antisemitism and other **** and quickly removed it, apologized. There's isn't much more to talk about here, because 95+% of people won't defend Hitler quotes like Brees was defended for "simply having an opinion". That's because a lot of people actually think (or insinuate) the NFL protests are meant to be disrespectful.

If I thought Jackson actually was a Nazi or an advocate of genocide, I'd want him removed from the team immediately. But that wasn't very likely to begin with and all he did since then shows he isn't that. BTW I never wanted Brees "cancelled" either.

That people would even view these two situations as "white man gets punished, black man doesn't get punished" is quite revealing.
    This is totally subjective outrage that we know damn well wouldnt fly if it were reversed. Brees' locker room and entire city flipped on him over a non-hateful but ignorant comment. DJax spreads antisemitic bs while thinking he's quoting Hitler and he gets 2 Jewish players and 2 non-Jewish players opposing him and a teammate who defended him.

I'm just throwing a hypothetical out here. Imagine Brees shared a post highlighting the percentage of violent crime, black on black crime, and cop murder committed by black Americans; he then deletes it and apologizes. Is this a non-issue and "nothing else to talk about", or is the NFL community going to destroy him for what he shared and implied?

Quote Originally Posted by manbearchef View Post
    This is totally subjective outrage that we know damn well wouldnt fly if it were reversed. Brees' locker room and entire city flipped on him over a non-hateful but ignorant comment. DJax spreads antisemitic bs while thinking he's quoting Hitler and he gets 2 Jewish players and 2 non-Jewish players opposing him and a teammate who defended him.

I'm just throwing a hypothetical out here. Imagine Brees shared a post highlighting the percentage of violent crime, black on black crime, and cop murder committed by black Americans; he then deletes it and apologizes. Is this a non-issue and "nothing else to talk about", or is the NFL community going to destroy him for what he shared and implied?
    I never said the antisemitism shared by Jackson was a non-issue.

The point is 95+% of the population won't ever defend antisemitism in public. *That* is what makes the issue non-controversial compared to Brees' expressed opinion, because a whole lot more than 5%, closer to 50%, agree that the NFL protests were meant to be disrespectful. That sentiment goes all the way up to the highest office in the county. So Brees became a paragon of people who hold this opinion but as an actual NFL QB who should know better.

By the way, among the things Jackson did since then is have a conversation with a 94-year old Holocaust survivor: https://www.timesofisrael.com/after-...aust-survivor/

And so far Jackson has received more punishment than Brees.
    Last edited by QB_Eagles; 07-12-2020 at 10:30 AM.

The point is 95+% of the population won't ever defend antisemitism in public. *That* is what makes the issue non-controversial compared to Brees' expressed opinion, because a whole lot more than 5%, closer to 50%, agree that the NFL protests were meant to be disrespectful. That sentiment goes all the way up to the highest office in the county. So Brees became a paragon of people who hold this opinion but as an actual NFL QB who should know better.

By the way, among the things Jackson did since then is have a conversation with a 94-year old Holocaust survivor: https://www.timesofisrael.com/after-...aust-survivor/

who's looking for someone to defend antisemitism?!
    the question wasn't about punishment, it was about media and public condemnation....and deseans was team imposed, different teams....
    gotta love 'referential' treatment

Sounds like a bunch of flimsy arguments to minimize what he said.
    Quick deletion???
    Most people agree heís wrong so no big deal?

I've had enough of cancel culture so I am glad that the Eagles punished Jackson internally- likely with a fine- and will continue to have him work towards growing as a person away from this. That should be everyone's goal when faced with statements like this, instead of just firing the person.

Quote Originally Posted by SiteWolf View Post
    who's looking for someone to defend antisemitism?!
    the question wasn't about punishment, it was about media and public condemnation....and deseans was team imposed, different teams....
    Quote Originally Posted by mariner4life View Post
    Sounds like a bunch of flimsy arguments to minimize what he said.
    Quick deletion???
    Most people agree heís wrong so no big deal?
    What did he actually say? Do you think DeSean Jackson is a Nazi?

I keep trying to explain why the media reaction was different, why NFL player reaction was different. But these are apparently flimsy arguments.

"What Jackson said is worse, so his scolding should be worse" is such a schoolboy analysis of the two situations. Apparently the media are arbiters of truth and unbiased judgement? Besides, Jackson actually got a fine. But Brees still had it worse somehow.
    Last edited by QB_Eagles; 07-12-2020 at 05:18 PM.

I keep trying to explain why the media reaction was different, why NFL player reaction was different. But these are apparently flimsy arguments.

"What Jackson said is worse, so his scolding should be worse" is such a schoolboy analysis of the two situations. Besides, he actually did get a fine. But Brees still had it worse somehow.
    Schoolboy analysis? I guess all crimes and actions should be treated equally. Lol

"What Jackson said is worse, so his scolding should be worse" is such a schoolboy analysis of the two situations. Apparently the media are arbiters of truth and unbiased judgement? Besides, Jackson actually got a fine. But Brees still had it worse somehow.
    You don't have to be a Nazi to be prejudice. Nobody is ever going to assume a black guy is a Nazi, but eventually people need to raise their bar a little higher than "hes not a Nazi, so it's not that bad".

The fact that you're even implying Brees could've been fined is absurd. He literally did nothing he could be punished for, he just had an ignorant opinion that the thought police couldn't handle. I hate Brees and he's a douche, but the backlash he got from that was insane.

Schoolboy analysis? I guess all crimes and actions should be treated equally. Lol
    Do you believe the media are arbiters of truth and unbiased judgement?

Or that media reaction to an event is an accurate assessment of severity?

The fact that you're even implying Brees could've been fined is absurd. He literally did nothing he could be punished for, he just had an ignorant opinion that the thought police couldn't handle. I hate Brees and he's a douche, but the backlash he got from that was insane.
    Where did I say Brees should have been fined???

He wasn't punished in any way; that's the point.

Do you think speech is harmful?

You don't have to be a Nazi to be prejudice. Nobody is ever going to assume a black guy is a Nazi, but eventually people need to raise their bar a little higher than "hes not a Nazi, so it's not that bad".
    OK, let's raise the bar: Do you think Jackson is an antisemite?

Do you believe the media are arbiters of truth and unbiased judgement?

Or that media reaction to an event is an accurate assessment of severity?
    Well no but that doesnít mean we canít call them out for being stupid and doesnít mean you should be comfortable with it.

"Pee tape" was mentioned more frequently in the news than "Yemen", and discussed more fervently.

This forum: "This must mean supposedly getting pissed on by Russian prostitutes is worse than an actual man-made famine."

Well no but that doesnít mean we canít call them out for being stupid and doesnít mean you should be comfortable with it.
    That's not what's happening though.

What's happening is some weird game between two sides with media outrage as the scoring mechanism.

That's not what's happening though.

What's happening is some weird game between two sides with media outrage as the scoring mechanism.
    Itís not just the media though. What a weird take you have on this.

Page 14 of 24 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast