Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 11 of 45 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenny Powders View Post
    Or, hopefully, we can luck into another Vlad in IFA
    That would help A LOT! I agree.

How did you come up with this totally arbitrary way of evaluation?
    When did WAR become arbitrary?

What have you guys thought of the job Charlie is doing managing this club?

If Iím being honest, I havenít been impressed.

Quote Originally Posted by ChongInc. View Post
    When did WAR become arbitrary?
    I mean, we are a rebuilding team. Acquiring proven talent via trade probably hasn't been a top priority.

Men neither. From what I've seen he's lost when it comes to managing a BP

Quote Originally Posted by R. Johnson#3 View Post
    Good to see you're back FL. I thought we had lost you after Atkins had a unanimous top 10 farm going into this season. Also good to see you expected Atkins to turn hot garbage into premium returns. Why don't you highlight some of the players that he had to trade away? I'll start with Josh Donaldson so please feel free to continue...
    When you say Atkins trades are "awesome" you make it seem like he traded hot garbage for premium returns. When you mean awesome tell me who contributed at in "The Show" significantly? Isn't that what counts? So until we start seeing garbage flipped for something that helps the club then no his trades are not "awesome." I've already listed the two players the Jays that have contributed somewhat in the Majors, I want to know who else did. Trading garbage for better garbage is not "awesome."

Good to see the Jays in the top 10, after what 4+ years of stockpiling talent. Farm is still not considered "elite." That is kind of pathetic, how long does it take to build an elite farm when acquiring so many assets. I guess you can argue they graduated Bichette, Vlad, and Biggio and then again I guess you do have to graduate some players like Acuna, Sano, Tatis, etc.

Also according to MLB Pipeline the Jays are not a top 10 farm, which is pathetic. Nor are they one here. They sit at 10 here.

How did you come up with this totally arbitrary way of evaluation?
    Say what? I just gave you the only two players traded over the past 4 years that had a better than replacement level WAR at the Major League Level. How would you evaluate said trades? By projection? By how much we nut over a traded prospects potential?

I mean, we are a rebuilding team. Acquiring proven talent via trade probably hasn't been a top priority.
    After 4 years of trading shouldn't we have some semblance of proven talent or something that looks like they can contribute to the big team? Or are we going to continue to acquire talent for the sake of acquiring talent?

The Jays only have two prospects above AA (Smith & Pearson) that are anyone's radar. C'mon! They can do better can't they?

I will say I do applaud what they've done this season in acquiring Anderson, Roark, Ryu to go with Pearson and pitcher #5. It will give the team a chance to see how well this offense can work together. Personally I think the Jays need a nice powerful veteran bat that can mash (i.e. Cruz or Martinez) along with a good contact hitter like Markakis or Castellanos and get rid of these guys that have weak contact like Teoscar and Grichuk.

I am concerned that the defense is not good enough yet to compete for a playoff yet. Maybe Biggio and Bichette can be above average in another year?
    Last edited by FLeays; 08-07-2020 at 04:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by FLeays View Post
    Say what? I just gave you the only two players traded over the past 4 years that had a better than replacement level WAR at the Major League Level. How would you evaluate said trades? By projection? By how much we nut over a traded prospects potential?
    I think your missing my point. Rebuilding teams don't look to trade for proven MLB talent so that's probably part of the reason why there's been no one come back who's put up back to back above replacement level years before being traded. While Atkins has been shrewd in his reading, I'll agree he's never landed a big player via trade, and it's something that he will have to do. I just think it's disingenuous to criticize him for not bringing in impactful players via trade because that wasn't the M.O. for the first three or four years. But he's going to have to do it soon and it appears it'll be a bat.

From your other post:

I'm not really following what you're saying about two prospects above AAA. Are you talking about Kevin Smith? Because he sucks and Pearson is essentially a non prospect now. Also, they just graduated how many young guys in the last year in the half. I'm fine with the Bisons not having any stars on it for a year or two.

I agree with getting a couple of bats. I'd take Martinez and Springer in a heartbeat though I'd be leary about giving Springer anything over 5 years.

I'm not going to worry much about the D yet. Bo never really profiled as a SS to me, I'd say either Groshans or Martin are the SS of the future. Slide Bo over to second and put Biggio in the OF. If that's the case, either Biggio or Gurriel will have to be able to prove they can play RF

This lineup is a mess. They really should have signed a veteran bat - Castellanos, JD, EE would have looked really good in this lienup. The way Teoscar was swinging putting him at the bottom of the order is laughable.

Quote Originally Posted by hanton View Post
    This lineup is a mess. They really should have signed a veteran bat - Castellanos, JD, EE would have looked really good in this lienup. The way Teoscar was swinging putting him at the bottom of the order is laughable.
    Came on to say this. Hernandez should be hitting much higher.

He's screwing around with the lineup alot. Hernandez is hot, so he moves up, then he bats 8th, like wtf is going on?

Quote Originally Posted by mike_noodles View Post
    He's screwing around with the lineup alot. Hernandez is hot, so he moves up, then he bats 8th, like wtf is going on?
    My only guess is that he was trying to get something going in the bottom of the order. All the scoring has come from the top. Other than that I have no idea what compelled him to try that.

..because 5 yrs/$52M HAS to bat in the top 6.

Quote Originally Posted by hanton View Post
    ..because 5 yrs/$52M HAS to bat in the top 6.
    Open mouth. Insert foot.

Page 11 of 45 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast