Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 12 of 37 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast
Results 166 to 180 of 552
  1. #166
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    56,020
    Quote Originally Posted by thawv View Post
    Because you said so? Come on dude.

    Like I said, I remember all the hoopla when he dropped out.
    In a move deemed at once genius and troubling in the press at the time, Harper dropped out of high school and began studying for his GED certification. Once he passed that arduous exam, at 17 he enrolled at the College of Southern Nevada.

    https://www.sportscasting.com/did-br...lege-baseball/

    Yeah. What a no work ethic, silver spoon loser. Immediately studying for an arduous test.

    Also, just a heads up, but while most community schools will admit you without a GED, you can't graduate unless you get one. Harper, however, got his GED and then enrolled. So he didn't "drop out" so much as he "went to college early". What a looooooser.

  2. #167
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    9,542
    Quote Originally Posted by CP_414 View Post
    That’s graduating high school early. A GED is a high school diploma. Goodness.

    He’s not some bum high school drop out. He graduated early and spent a year in junior college to enter the draft early and he was the #1 pick who has gone on to be an mvp and accumulate 35 war by age 27 and lock himself into a $400 million career. He’s also on a hall of fame trajectory.

    But you see a high school drop out who has been a huge disappointment. Crazy.
    Bahahaha......he dropped out of HS man. It's not a question. I never said he didn't get his GED.

    Stop it please. I said that I thought he would be an even better player than he is. Please tell me how that statement has anything to do with him dropping out of HS.

  3. #168
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    56,020
    Quote Originally Posted by thawv View Post
    Wait!! Did I really say that?? I certainly don't feel that way. Let me check......Nope, I didn't say that. I said he dropped out of school to become draft eligible.

    You have never been been one to just make chit up or put words in someone's mouth. But here we are. I'm very surprise you posted this.
    You are completely mangling what he did by adding the unnecessary "drop out". You have given him no credit. You have consistently called him someone who was handed everything.

    Except "dropping out" is not what he did. He got his GED a year early and played at a JuCo to further enhance his game. If anything, that shows the opposite of "being given everything". He didn't take the easy way out. He pushed further and harder.

    When you consistently double down on "he dropped out, he dropped out" you fully are putting it out there to make him look like the bad guy because "dropping out" has a negative stigma, and you know that. That is why I characterized it that way. In a way, I did put some words in your mouth. But with the stigma you consistently give what he did, you're doing that yourself and I'm just translating them.

  4. #169
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    9,542
    Quote Originally Posted by 1908_Cubs View Post
    In a move deemed at once genius and troubling in the press at the time, Harper dropped out of high school and began studying for his GED certification. Once he passed that arduous exam, at 17 he enrolled at the College of Southern Nevada.

    https://www.sportscasting.com/did-br...lege-baseball/

    Yeah. What a no work ethic, silver spoon loser. Immediately studying for an arduous test.

    Also, just a heads up, but while most community schools will admit you without a GED, you can't graduate unless you get one. Harper, however, got his GED and then enrolled. So he didn't "drop out" so much as he "went to college early". What a looooooser.
    He dropped out and when he was old enough to get his GED, he did.

  5. #170
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    9,542
    Quote Originally Posted by 1908_Cubs View Post
    You are completely mangling what he did by adding the unnecessary "drop out". You have given him no credit. You have consistently called him someone who was handed everything.

    Except "dropping out" is not what he did. He got his GED a year early and played at a JuCo to further enhance his game. If anything, that shows the opposite of "being given everything". He didn't take the easy way out. He pushed further and harder.

    When you consistently double down on "he dropped out, he dropped out" you fully are putting it out there to make him look like the bad guy because "dropping out" has a negative stigma, and you know that. That is why I characterized it that way. In a way, I did put some words in your mouth. But with the stigma you consistently give what he did, you're doing that yourself and I'm just translating them.
    He get's all the credit in the world from me for what he did at such a young age. Dropping out was in the plan to get in to a JC, get his GED, and get in the draft. Bravo. I thought it was great back then, and I still think it's great.

    He's not a bad guy at all to leave HS early. It was a brilliant move by his family.

    You guys are starting the group pile on thing again. Putting words in my mouth. Changing my topic around.

    Later

  6. #171
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    11,543

    2020 Summer Camp Thread - Wrigley Field Edition

    Quote Originally Posted by thawv View Post
    Bahahaha......he dropped out of HS man. It's not a question. I never said he didn't get his GED.

    Stop it please. I said that I thought he would be an even better player than he is. Please tell me how that statement has anything to do with him dropping out of HS.
    Graduating early is not dropping out.

    I know of a kid who got his GED at 14 or 15 and went to Carnegie Mellon University on track to graduate college at 18. His goal is to be a doctor in his early 20s. Is that kid a “high school
    dropout?” Of course not. What’s the difference? Harper graduated early and reached the peak of his profession in his late teens.


    You said Harper is a dropout and he’s been a huge disappointment. Neither of those things is close to true. He graduated high school. He had a year of college and he’s a fantastic baseball player. This is a crazy conversation. Some people here seem to have very personal issues with Harper for bizarre reasons.
    Last edited by CP_414; 07-15-2020 at 10:15 PM.

  7. #172
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    27,425
    Thawv:
    Quote Originally Posted by thawv View Post
    Dropping out was in the plan to get in to a JC, get his GED, and get in the draft. Bravo. I thought it was great back then, and I still think it's great.

    He's not a bad guy at all to leave HS early. It was a brilliant move by his family.
    Also Thawv:
    Ever since he was a kid, he was told he's the best ever. Dropped out of HS to be draft eligible. First selection, and was treated like the chosen one. Personally, with all his hype leading up to his debut, I'd say he's been a huge disappointment.

  8. #173
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    56,020
    Quote Originally Posted by thawv View Post
    He get's all the credit in the world from me for what he did at such a young age. Dropping out was in the plan to get in to a JC, get his GED, and get in the draft. Bravo. I thought it was great back then, and I still think it's great.

    He's not a bad guy at all to leave HS early. It was a brilliant move by his family.

    You guys are starting the group pile on thing again. Putting words in my mouth. Changing my topic around.

    Later
    No one has "put words" in your mouth. You said he was a drop out. Then argued the point when people showed he went to JuCo. What was the point? Everyone and their mother knows that "dropout" = "bad". It's ingrained in us since like, 1st grade. "Be cool, stay in school". Why else would you double down on that language other than to continue to disparage him? I've literally never experienced a conversation where someone being called a "drop out" was anything of a positive. "Well, little Johnny is a high school drop out" --> /everyone applauds...it's not a real world thing.

    Listen, there's a good chance Harper is a dickbag. I am assured, many MLB'ers are. I have no disillusions. But the way people are acting right now on Harper is inane. "Haha he has a bandana. Like seriously? A bandana!" It sounds like mean girl cliques from middle school lunch. It's ridiculous. Then it's "he dropped out".

    If not to disparage, then why double down on that terminology?
    Last edited by 1908_Cubs; 07-15-2020 at 10:17 PM.

  9. #174
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    11,543
    Quote Originally Posted by thawv View Post
    He get's all the credit in the world from me for what he did at such a young age. Dropping out was in the plan to get in to a JC, get his GED, and get in the draft. Bravo. I thought it was great back then, and I still think it's great.

    He's not a bad guy at all to leave HS early. It was a brilliant move by his family.

    You guys are starting the group pile on thing again. Putting words in my mouth. Changing my topic around.

    Later
    If you say something stupid more than 1 person might say it’s stupid. If you respond to everyone who says it’s stupid, they might all respond to you. That’s not piling on. It’s not changing your point of view. Your words are written clearly.

    You aren’t the only one here with a bad opinion on Harper in the last couple of days, but to say he’s a dropout and a huge disappointment is totally absurd.

  10. #175
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    761
    Quote Originally Posted by 1908_Cubs View Post
    It was time for a change. Maddon and the team were ready to go a different way.
    Because Maddon was no longer doing his job effectively in numerous areas. It wasnt' an issue of "change for the sake of change". He lost control of the team because of his overly laid back, hands-off, kid-gloves approach.

    You're just making **** up about a lack of preparation to suit what it is you want to see. Theres literally no proof. We have been over this.

    Its inane. Its asinine. Its stupid. But hey, if you want to believe that, go for it. But its literally not backed up by anything except your own mind.
    I've already posted all sorts of articles backing this up the last time this was discussed. Were you not reading the news since the end of last season? Players and Theo talking about guys not putting the work in, not preparing properly? Having no accountability? Javy admitting this ST that he was warming up "during the game" in 2019? Contreras admitting he slacked off in his pre-game routine in 2018? Guys taking BP in the tunnel rather than on the field pre-game? This is what happens when you're too laid back & you let things become "optional" & let players do whatever they want:

    https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/cu...l-mvp-all-star

    "Contreras admitted he slacked off on his pregame routine as the year went on. "I used to get to the ballpark, like I did in 2017, and I'd usually get on the elliptical or bike or stretch or lift," Contreras said. "To be honest, I didn't lift at all [as 2018 went on]. I came out of my routine completely. I didn't deserve to have a good year last year.
    ...
    Many have wondered if Contreras simply wore down physically because he was playing too much and didn't get enough rest. He caught more innings than anybody in baseball last year. But he insists that wasn't the issue and didn't have any injuries last year that contributed to his downturn.

    Contreras believes he simply got complacent. "Everything is easy when you're going well, when you're not thinking too much and hitting homers and doubles with guys in scoring position," he said. "I was too comfortable last year, to be honest. It kills me — I was like way too comfortable.

    The day the Cubs' season ended last fall, players talked about how the group may have gotten complacent at various points throughout the year — a point Theo Epstein emphasized in his season eulogy the following day."


    https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/cu...-pregame-focus

    "In no unclear terms, Baez took a stab at explaining why such a talented team has fallen short of expectations in back-to-back seasons. “It wasn’t something bad, but we had a lot of options – not mandatory,” Baez said from his locker at Sloan Park. “Everybody kind of sat back, including me, because I wasn’t really going out there and preparing for the game. I was getting ready during the game, which is not good.
    ...
    World Series hangovers don’t exist four years after the fact, but given Maddon’s immediate success in Chicago, it’s easy to understand how players eased off the gas pedal.

    “I mean I would just get to the field and instead of going outside and hit BP, I would do everything inside, which is not the same,” Baez said. “Once I’d go out to the game, I’d feel like l wasn’t ready. I felt like I was getting loose during the first four innings, and I should be ready and excited to get out before the first pitch.

    “You can lose the game in the first inning. Sometimes when you’re not ready, and the other team scores by something simple, I feel like it was because of that. It was because we weren’t ready, we weren’t ready to throw the first pitch because nobody was loose.”
    Last edited by Stratos; 07-17-2020 at 12:31 AM.

  11. #176
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    2,944
    Quote Originally Posted by Stratos View Post
    Because Maddon was no longer doing his job effectively in numerous areas. It wasnt' an issue of "change for the sake of change". He lost control of the team because of his overly laid back, hands-off, kid-gloves approach.



    I've already posted all sorts of articles backing this up the last time this was discussed. Were you not reading the news since the end of last season? Players and Theo talking about guys not putting the work in, not preparing properly? Having no accountability? Javy admitting this ST that he was warming up "during the game" in 2019? Contreras admitting he slacked off in his pre-game routine in 2018? Guys taking BP in the tunnel rather than on the field pre-game? This is what happens when you're too laid back & you let things become "optional" & let players do whatever they want:

    https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/cu...l-mvp-all-star

    Contreras admitted he slacked off on his pregame routine as the year went on. "I used to get to the ballpark, like I did in 2017, and I'd usually get on the elliptical or bike or stretch or lift," Contreras said. "To be honest, I didn't lift at all [as 2018 went on]. I came out of my routine completely. I didn't deserve to have a good year last year.
    ...
    Many have wondered if Contreras simply wore down physically because he was playing too much and didn't get enough rest. He caught more innings than anybody in baseball last year. But he insists that wasn't the issue and didn't have any injuries last year that contributed to his downturn.

    Contreras believes he simply got complacent. "Everything is easy when you're going well, when you're not thinking too much and hitting homers and doubles with guys in scoring position," he said. "I was too comfortable last year, to be honest. It kills me — I was like way too comfortable.

    The day the Cubs' season ended last fall, players talked about how the group may have gotten complacent at various points throughout the year — a point Theo Epstein emphasized in his season eulogy the following day.


    https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/cu...-pregame-focus

    In no unclear terms, Baez took a stab at explaining why such a talented team has fallen short of expectations in back-to-back seasons. “It wasn’t something bad, but we had a lot of options – not mandatory,” Baez said from his locker at Sloan Park. “Everybody kind of sat back, including me, because I wasn’t really going out there and preparing for the game. I was getting ready during the game, which is not good.
    ...
    World Series hangovers don’t exist four years after the fact, but given Maddon’s immediate success in Chicago, it’s easy to understand how players eased off the gas pedal.

    “I mean I would just get to the field and instead of going outside and hit BP, I would do everything inside, which is not the same,” Baez said. “Once I’d go out to the game, I’d feel like l wasn’t ready. I felt like I was getting loose during the first four innings, and I should be ready and excited to get out before the first pitch.

    “You can lose the game in the first inning. Sometimes when you’re not ready, and the other team scores by something simple, I feel like it was because of that. It was because we weren’t ready, we weren’t ready to throw the first pitch because nobody was loose.”
    We’ve already been through literally all of this. I remember when it got discussed on here. Yeah Joe gets the blame, but these are professional athletes, and shame on them for getting complacent and comfortable. Joe can’t be expected to hold everybody’s hand. Maybe a HS coach or a college coach, but not a manager of a Major League Baseball team.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  12. #177
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    2,944
    Bryce Harper = Good at baseball. I got chills watching this live just as a baseball fan. That’s saying a lot considering it was against our beloved Cubs.


    https://twitter.com/espnausnz/status...528113664?s=21

    He’s on a hall of fame trajectory. He’s a MVP. What more needs to be said?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  13. #178
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    761
    Quote Originally Posted by ivyboys View Post
    Also you remember 1 time that Javy or Contreras didn’t hustle and now you’re saying they didn’t play the game hard that year? They were soft? A year we won 95 games?! The same year Javy (soft Javy in your words) came in 2nd in MVP votes?! My god guy. This is quite the argument you just created.
    I'm not the one saying it, they are themselves, and Theo backing it up. Don't shoot the messenger, I'm just reporting the news:

    https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/cu...l-mvp-all-star

    https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/cu...-pregame-focus

    Javy had an incredible season in 2018. But at the end of the day who gives 2 s**ts what Javy did when the team blew the division lead, then blew the 1 game division tie-breaker, then blew the 1-game WC game (at home). It's a team sport, win or die as a team, winning games and rings is all that matters. All-star appearances and HR derbies are fun but mean squat. Like Ryno said, the name on the front of the jersey means a heck of a lot more than the name on the back. Hence why I don't like Bryce Harper. Interesting how the Nats won the WS the year after Bryce left. Bye Felicia.

    Sandberg:

    "It's just that in general, you see a lot of that. You see a lot of self-promotion. Guys hit a home run when their team is five runs down and they're pointing at the sky, pointing at the camera--it drives me nuts.

    "I'd like to see a lot more team concept, more `we,' not `I.' Coming up when I did, players talked about the team more than they did individual accomplishments. I was taught that the name on the front of your jersey was a lot more important than the name on the back."


    Last edited by Stratos; 07-16-2020 at 12:16 AM.

  14. #179
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    761
    Quote Originally Posted by La_bibbers View Post
    Seriously this idea that you can tell exactly what kind of person a guy is just by watching him on the field (especially a 5 minute compilation of him getting pissed over a career spanning 8 seasons) is annoying af. Stop playing armchair psychologist please. At most, all you can say is that he has a temper. Piss off.
    A temper, a massive ego, and throws tantrums.

    I work with people for a living, and I mean non-stop all day everyday conversing with people of all backgrounds. I speak with hundreds of them a day sometimes. I've watched baseball my entire life. After a while, you begin to recognize patterns. It's not rocket science. But hey agree to disagree.

  15. #180
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    56,020
    Quote Originally Posted by Stratos View Post
    A temper, a massive ego, and throws tantrums.

    I work with people for a living, and I mean non-stop all day everyday conversing with people of all backgrounds. I speak with hundreds of them a day sometimes. I've watched baseball my entire life. After a while, you begin to recognize patterns. It's not rocket science. But hey agree to disagree.
    Eye black. Bandanas. Excited about trophies.

    Got it. Hes the worst.

    P.S. unless you live in a cave, you work with people for living. This is not unique. I, too, work with people for a living. I haven't decided Harper is a dick because of his eye black.

    I've not only watched baseball, Ive played it all my life. Still am. Have a double header Sunday. Stop acting like you're some special judge of a human beings or baseball players. Youre not. This far all you've done is support Papelbon grabbing throats (tough guy leadership) but downed guys for...warrior eye black.

    Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk
    Last edited by 1908_Cubs; 07-16-2020 at 12:37 AM.

Page 12 of 37 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •