Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 24
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    4,636

    Pels Fire Alvin Gentry

    Woj:

    New Orleans has dismissed coach Alvin Gentry, sources tell @_andrew_lopez and me.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    34,004
    I wonder where he'll go next. Likeable guy, but like Thibs I suspect he's best as an assistant coach. Gentry may retire I suppose.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    4,636
    Quote Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
    I wonder where he'll go next. Likeable guy, but like Thibs I suspect he's best as an assistant coach. Gentry may retire I suppose.
    Either back to GSW or join Luke’s coaching staff in Sac

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Posts
    59,691
    I'd welcome him in Philly. Sucks he's losing his job based on Zion barely playing and an 8 game sample though.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    3,476
    Are we surprised? He's not that great of a coach.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Posts
    445
    Quote Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
    I wonder where he'll go next. Likeable guy, but like Thibs I suspect he's best as an assistant coach. Gentry may retire I suppose.
    I doubt there has been a conflict between the two sides as to part here. Gentry is a good coach and could definitely be of service with a young talented team like the Bulls who have (again) fired their coach.

    I believe this was rather a move from the Pelicans in order to accelerate things and be able to contend for the title a couple of seasons later. I therefore think they have part with Gentry in order to hire a top coach and looking at what should be available, I would think Sergio Scariolo should be considered the favourite to take over from Gentry.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Mile High
    Posts
    17,464
    Quote Originally Posted by NBA all the way View Post
    Are we surprised? He's not that great of a coach.
    Exactly, he's always been meh.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
    <><><><><><><>
    <><><><>

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    34,004
    Quote Originally Posted by mouseslept View Post
    I doubt there has been a conflict between the two sides as to part here. Gentry is a good coach and could definitely be of service with a young talented team like the Bulls who have (again) fired their coach.

    I believe this was rather a move from the Pelicans in order to accelerate things and be able to contend for the title a couple of seasons later. I therefore think they have part with Gentry in order to hire a top coach and looking at what should be available, I would think Sergio Scariolo should be considered the favourite to take over from Gentry.


    Yeah, I'm sure them firing Gentry was mutual, and they are doing it to hire a coach with no experience so they can contend in 2 years.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Posts
    445
    Quote Originally Posted by Scoots View Post


    Yeah, I'm sure them firing Gentry was mutual, and they are doing it to hire a coach with no experience so they can contend in 2 years.
    I guess Scariolo has learned from .......Nurse (!) and by now has become experienced!

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    LA
    Posts
    47,110
    Not sure where it all went wrong, lots of injuries throughout his tenure and he always had a weird assortment of players for the system he wanted to run.

    Would he be of more use to a defensive coach like Thibs in NY, as sort of a counter balance or would he better off joining a team that already shares his offensive philosophies, thinking maybe rejoining D'Antoni

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    34,004
    Quote Originally Posted by Chronz View Post
    Not sure where it all went wrong, lots of injuries throughout his tenure and he always had a weird assortment of players for the system he wanted to run.

    Would he be of more use to a defensive coach like Thibs in NY, as sort of a counter balance or would he better off joining a team that already shares his offensive philosophies, thinking maybe rejoining D'Antoni
    The Pels used to have to get by with the same training staff as the Saints, and ownership had a well earned rep for being SUPER cheap and cutting corners at every opportunity. Speculation was that contributed to their injury history. Don't know if it's still true.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    3,476
    Quote Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
    The Pels used to have to get by with the same training staff as the Saints, and ownership had a well earned rep for being SUPER cheap and cutting corners at every opportunity. Speculation was that contributed to their injury history. Don't know if it's still true.
    Wow, I didn't know that.

    Seems Griff changed that last summer. He deserves a lot of credit. Got them a training staff, traded AD, fired Gentry and his interest in the job was probably enough to get Dell Demps fired.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Posts
    445
    Quote Originally Posted by NBA all the way View Post
    Wow, I didn't know that.
    off course you don't... neither anybody else does!

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Posts
    445
    In anycase, I would insist that this wasn't a conflict of any kind between the two sides, but the Pels think that they have the team which can develop into a championship contender instead and want the appropriate coaching to do it..

    https://www.nba.com/article/2020/08/...h-alvin-gentry

    I didn't find this before I have expressed y opinion on the parting, but since it goes along with my opinion, here is the Pels speaking:

    “We believe that making a head coaching change is necessary at this time. I truly appreciate Alvin’s leadership, dedication and perseverance through some challenging circumstances over the past five seasons.”

    Gayle Benson (owner and governor of the team) said.

    I would say at this point that they wouldn't have made this announcement unless they've already decided on the replacement (but can't announce it until the playoffs are over) and that IMO, it will be Sergio Scariolo taking over... any other choice will highly surprise me (unless they are bringing Obradovic to take over, which would also surprise me)...

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    The Bay
    Posts
    15,766
    Hope Warriors bring him back

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •