Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Pels Fire Alvin Gentry

Woj:

New Orleans has dismissed coach Alvin Gentry, sources tell @_andrew_lopez and me.

I wonder where he'll go next. Likeable guy, but like Thibs I suspect he's best as an assistant coach. Gentry may retire I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
    I wonder where he'll go next. Likeable guy, but like Thibs I suspect he's best as an assistant coach. Gentry may retire I suppose.
    Either back to GSW or join Luke’s coaching staff in Sac

I'd welcome him in Philly. Sucks he's losing his job based on Zion barely playing and an 8 game sample though.

Are we surprised? He's not that great of a coach.

I doubt there has been a conflict between the two sides as to part here. Gentry is a good coach and could definitely be of service with a young talented team like the Bulls who have (again) fired their coach.

I believe this was rather a move from the Pelicans in order to accelerate things and be able to contend for the title a couple of seasons later. I therefore think they have part with Gentry in order to hire a top coach and looking at what should be available, I would think Sergio Scariolo should be considered the favourite to take over from Gentry.

Quote Originally Posted by NBA all the way View Post
    Are we surprised? He's not that great of a coach.
    Exactly, he's always been meh.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
    <><><><><><><>
    <><><><>

Quote Originally Posted by mouseslept View Post
    I doubt there has been a conflict between the two sides as to part here. Gentry is a good coach and could definitely be of service with a young talented team like the Bulls who have (again) fired their coach.

I believe this was rather a move from the Pelicans in order to accelerate things and be able to contend for the title a couple of seasons later. I therefore think they have part with Gentry in order to hire a top coach and looking at what should be available, I would think Sergio Scariolo should be considered the favourite to take over from Gentry.

Yeah, I'm sure them firing Gentry was mutual, and they are doing it to hire a coach with no experience so they can contend in 2 years.

Yeah, I'm sure them firing Gentry was mutual, and they are doing it to hire a coach with no experience so they can contend in 2 years.
    I guess Scariolo has learned from .......Nurse (!) and by now has become experienced!

Not sure where it all went wrong, lots of injuries throughout his tenure and he always had a weird assortment of players for the system he wanted to run.

Would he be of more use to a defensive coach like Thibs in NY, as sort of a counter balance or would he better off joining a team that already shares his offensive philosophies, thinking maybe rejoining D'Antoni

Quote Originally Posted by Chronz View Post
    Not sure where it all went wrong, lots of injuries throughout his tenure and he always had a weird assortment of players for the system he wanted to run.

Would he be of more use to a defensive coach like Thibs in NY, as sort of a counter balance or would he better off joining a team that already shares his offensive philosophies, thinking maybe rejoining D'Antoni
    The Pels used to have to get by with the same training staff as the Saints, and ownership had a well earned rep for being SUPER cheap and cutting corners at every opportunity. Speculation was that contributed to their injury history. Don't know if it's still true.

The Pels used to have to get by with the same training staff as the Saints, and ownership had a well earned rep for being SUPER cheap and cutting corners at every opportunity. Speculation was that contributed to their injury history. Don't know if it's still true.
    Wow, I didn't know that.

Seems Griff changed that last summer. He deserves a lot of credit. Got them a training staff, traded AD, fired Gentry and his interest in the job was probably enough to get Dell Demps fired.

Quote Originally Posted by NBA all the way View Post
    Wow, I didn't know that.
    off course you don't... neither anybody else does!

In anycase, I would insist that this wasn't a conflict of any kind between the two sides, but the Pels think that they have the team which can develop into a championship contender instead and want the appropriate coaching to do it..

https://www.nba.com/article/2020/08/...h-alvin-gentry

I didn't find this before I have expressed y opinion on the parting, but since it goes along with my opinion, here is the Pels speaking:

“We believe that making a head coaching change is necessary at this time. I truly appreciate Alvin’s leadership, dedication and perseverance through some challenging circumstances over the past five seasons.”

Gayle Benson (owner and governor of the team) said.

I would say at this point that they wouldn't have made this announcement unless they've already decided on the replacement (but can't announce it until the playoffs are over) and that IMO, it will be Sergio Scariolo taking over... any other choice will highly surprise me (unless they are bringing Obradovic to take over, which would also surprise me)...

Hope Warriors bring him back

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast