Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 30 of 30
  1. #16
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Annapolis MD
    Posts
    17,554
    Quote Originally Posted by rhino17 View Post
    Yeah and those are the people that get to decide if they are offensive. Anything that trivializes an identity of a group and the bottom end of a power dynamic should be examined.
    Which is the weird thing about the Redskins. There doesn't seem to be a consensus in the American Indian community on it, there is a high school on a reservation with the name Redskins, and the Powhatan tribe has given permission for the name and logo, which is based off them.

    Anyway, as far as the Indians go, I don't see the issue but there are going to be plenty of names on the block now. I expect Braves, Chiefs, Seminoles and Cowboys to be next.

  2. #17
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    A Firehouse
    Posts
    35,201
    Quote Originally Posted by ThomasTomasz View Post
    Which is the weird thing about the Redskins. There doesn't seem to be a consensus in the American Indian community on it, there is a high school on a reservation with the name Redskins, and the Powhatan tribe has given permission for the name and logo, which is based off them.

    Anyway, as far as the Indians go, I don't see the issue but there are going to be plenty of names on the block now. I expect Braves, Chiefs, Seminoles and Cowboys to be next.
    Curious why you think the cowboys? I haven't paid much attention to the media lately, is there something out there that indicates this?

    Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
    He is talking about the one and only, pure trash: Ereck Flowers

    Quote Originally Posted by cowboyskilla View Post
    His stern face can give that impression but I don't feel that's the case. New York isn't an easy place to play at, so honestly I can see his confidence at an all-time low for him.

    I don't think he's a bust. I think he just needs the right motivation to pick himself up & play harder.

  3. #18
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Bethlehem
    Posts
    40,832
    Quote Originally Posted by dodgerdave View Post
    Don't forget the Chicago Blackhawks and the Montreal Canadiens.
    Why the Canadiens?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack of Blades View Post
    I don't consider Brand New indie. I consider them ****ing awesome and don't belong to a genre.

  4. #19
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    South Dakota
    Posts
    13,247
    Quote Originally Posted by ThomasTomasz View Post
    Which is the weird thing about the Redskins. There doesn't seem to be a consensus in the American Indian community on it, there is a high school on a reservation with the name Redskins, and the Powhatan tribe has given permission for the name and logo, which is based off them.

    Anyway, as far as the Indians go, I don't see the issue but there are going to be plenty of names on the block now. I expect Braves, Chiefs, Seminoles and Cowboys to be next.
    none are demeaning or derogatory

    we just need to do a legit national survey of native Americans and see which words even bother them...instead we have everyone else making assumptions ....uber small sample, but a few I talked to the last time this popped up said if there were no redskins, Indians, or tomahawk chops, they're fine with the rest
    gotta love 'referential' treatment

  5. #20
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Annapolis MD
    Posts
    17,554
    Quote Originally Posted by RCSownsU View Post
    Curious why you think the cowboys? I haven't paid much attention to the media lately, is there something out there that indicates this?

    Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
    So look at how we are going in the country. I absolutely agree with removing confederate statues, but that has moved onto other statues or institutions of the founding fathers, as well as other historical figures.

    So the Redskins, if you view it in the same frame of reference as the confederate statues, it's not a hard draw to Cowboys. Cowboys worked the farm land in the midwest and west that used to belong to tribes, but the country considered it free land, or up for grabs. I see Cowboys and some other names ending up being dragged into this, similar to how the founding fathers are being dragged into the confederate statues.

  6. #21
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Phanland
    Posts
    7,248
    Quote Originally Posted by goingfor28 View Post
    I don't see how any of them could either. But some Jesus or Satan lovers could be offended by Angels and Devils.
    Vikings could find cartoon mascot ragnar offensive to their culture, displaying ragnar as a friendly little wuss.

    So on and so on
    I always say ask the community itself.

    I saw something before about calling a team the New York Jews or the SF Chinamen. How would they feel?

  7. #22
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    La Puente, CA
    Posts
    14,332
    Quote Originally Posted by koldjerky View Post
    Why the Canadiens?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Doesn't it refer to French-Canadians or Canadians in general?

    Future Hall of Shamers:
    (1) B.A.L.C.O. Barroids (2) Mark McJuicer (3) Jose Chem-seco (4) Rafael Palmeiroids (5) Ken Chem-initi (6) Jason Gi-andro (7) Ryan Fraud (8) Muscle Melk (9) Woman-Ram (10) Shammy Sosa (11) Roger Clear-mens (12) A-Roid (13) Ryan HGHoward

  8. #23
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    37,029
    Quote Originally Posted by dodgerdave View Post
    Don't forget the Chicago Blackhawks and the Montreal Canadiens.
    You're right. Knew there were some I left out.

  9. #24
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Bethlehem
    Posts
    40,832
    Quote Originally Posted by dodgerdave View Post
    Doesn't it refer to French-Canadians or Canadians in general?
    Well the team is in basically French Canada. I donít believe itís any different than the Houston Texans. And iirc the people of Houston/Texas voted for that name.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack of Blades View Post
    I don't consider Brand New indie. I consider them ****ing awesome and don't belong to a genre.

  10. #25
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    1,984
    Quote Originally Posted by thefeckcampaign View Post
    I always say ask the community itself.

    I saw something before about calling a team the New York Jews or the SF Chinamen. How would they feel?
    It wouldn't and who cares. None of these teams names were made to offend the parties which they are named after. Keep it all in context and there's nothing to worry about. If someone honestly thinks that a cartoon character is somehow representing themselves, they have more issues than a sports teams name.

  11. #26
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    West Side
    Posts
    12,644
    Quote Originally Posted by dodgerdave View Post
    Doesn't it refer to French-Canadians or Canadians in general?
    It's how you spell Canadian in french...


    The Lost Boys of PSD

  12. #27
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    West Side
    Posts
    12,644
    Quote Originally Posted by nessythegreat View Post
    It wouldn't and who cares. None of these teams names were made to offend the parties which they are named after. Keep it all in context and there's nothing to worry about. If someone honestly thinks that a cartoon character is somehow representing themselves, they have more issues than a sports teams name.
    Lol I was going to say.

    Just let the communities decide. If they're fine with it, move on. If they aren't, change it.


    The Lost Boys of PSD

  13. #28
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    A Firehouse
    Posts
    35,201
    Quote Originally Posted by ThomasTomasz View Post
    So look at how we are going in the country. I absolutely agree with removing confederate statues, but that has moved onto other statues or institutions of the founding fathers, as well as other historical figures.

    So the Redskins, if you view it in the same frame of reference as the confederate statues, it's not a hard draw to Cowboys. Cowboys worked the farm land in the midwest and west that used to belong to tribes, but the country considered it free land, or up for grabs. I see Cowboys and some other names ending up being dragged into this, similar to how the founding fathers are being dragged into the confederate statues.
    Gotcha. Wasn't sure if someone had suggested in the msm that it should be changed. Honestly, nothing suprises me anymore.

    Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
    He is talking about the one and only, pure trash: Ereck Flowers

    Quote Originally Posted by cowboyskilla View Post
    His stern face can give that impression but I don't feel that's the case. New York isn't an easy place to play at, so honestly I can see his confidence at an all-time low for him.

    I don't think he's a bust. I think he just needs the right motivation to pick himself up & play harder.

  14. #29
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Rogers Centre
    Posts
    22,366
    Quote Originally Posted by koldjerky View Post
    Why the Canadiens?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Because nobody likes Quebec.

  15. #30
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Rogers Centre
    Posts
    22,366
    Quote Originally Posted by ThomasTomasz View Post
    Which is the weird thing about the Redskins. There doesn't seem to be a consensus in the American Indian community on it, there is a high school on a reservation with the name Redskins, and the Powhatan tribe has given permission for the name and logo, which is based off them.

    Anyway, as far as the Indians go, I don't see the issue but there are going to be plenty of names on the block now. I expect Braves, Chiefs, Seminoles and Cowboys to be next.
    American Indians? Why are you talking about immigrants from India who gained citizenship?

    I also like how there needs to be a consensus amongst indigenous folk before something with the Redskins name happens. Itís not like groups have been advocating against it for decades or anything. We just need to make sure the majority of indigenous folk are okay with the use of their people as a novelty before anything is done to change it, right? We wouldn't want to upset Indigenous people that are "okay" with it because if a change happened those Indigenous people that are "okay" with it would get angry, right?
    Last edited by R. Johnson#3; 07-06-2020 at 07:26 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •