Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 27 12311 ... LastLast

Washington... Redskins?

So apparently a bunch of investors collectively worth over $600 billion demanded that Nike, Pepsi, and FedEx divest from business with Washington unless they change their team name.

And apparently Nike has removed the Redskins name and apparel from it's website. FedEx asked them to change their team name.

https://sports.yahoo.com/nike-remove...015147421.html

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sport...s-name-change/

Will this work? Will Dan Snyder change the name? Perhaps he'll sell the team? What do you think?
    The Baker has come. Believe the hype.

Put it up for a vote....amongst only Native Americans...then follow the lead on the results
    gotta love 'referential' treatment

Dan Snyder won't do anything until he is backed into a corner. He owns the land around Fed Ex Field outright. Even if the sponsors drop out, he'll find new ones. Cabella's Field sounds about right, or maybe Bass Pro Shop's Field. If he has to, he will tear down the current stadium and build a new one if the name is what is holding back a land deal with DC, MD or VA.

Now, if people take this a step further and get the NFL involved, and the sponsorships of the league and other owners are at risk, then we might see a name change, or Snyder being forced to sell the team if he refuses to make the change. Snyder isn't popular in league circles, especially after how the firing of former NFL executive Brian Lafemina was handled, and I can't see many owners backing him up. The Kansas City Chiefs will soon find themselves in the same boat, so maybe the Hunt family backs him up. In our cancel culture world now, maybe some people find an issue with Cowboys, so Jerry Jones has his back.

Other than those two teams? I don't see Snyder having any allies in this if it gets to the league level, and I have no doubt it will.

Also, don't expect Snyder to make any public appearances about this. He will send out a statement, and maybe trot out Ron Rivera to make one, in the same way he used to send out Tony Wyllie and Bruce Allen.

As a Redskins fan, if the team name changes, I might just be done as a fan. Yeah, after all we've been through under Dan Snyder, that doesn't make sense, but I am burnt out on this franchise. Changing the name is enough to have me be done with them. I won't root for another team, though as a Packers stockholder I will probably watch them the most, and I will still watch the NFL. This will just put my level of apathy over the top.

Also, let's put things into perspective here. The naming rights are only $7.5 million a season. Snyder has the name, marketing, brand and fight song that have value. Current naming rights for the Big Four leagues average $6.5 million. Even if no company wants the naming rights, that's still an acceptable loss for a billionaire like Snyder.

On the other hand, all new merchandise and jersey sales would be an immediate influx of cash.

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasTomasz View Post
    Dan Snyder won't do anything until he is backed into a corner. He owns the land around Fed Ex Field outright. Even if the sponsors drop out, he'll find new ones. Cabella's Field sounds about right, or maybe Bass Pro Shop's Field. If he has to, he will tear down the current stadium and build a new one if the name is what is holding back a land deal with DC, MD or VA.

Now, if people take this a step further and get the NFL involved, and the sponsorships of the league and other owners are at risk, then we might see a name change, or Snyder being forced to sell the team if he refuses to make the change. Snyder isn't popular in league circles, especially after how the firing of former NFL executive Brian Lafemina was handled, and I can't see many owners backing him up. The Kansas City Chiefs will soon find themselves in the same boat, so maybe the Hunt family backs him up. In our cancel culture world now, maybe some people find an issue with Cowboys, so Jerry Jones has his back.

Other than those two teams? I don't see Snyder having any allies in this if it gets to the league level, and I have no doubt it will.

Also, don't expect Snyder to make any public appearances about this. He will send out a statement, and maybe trot out Ron Rivera to make one, in the same way he used to send out Tony Wyllie and Bruce Allen.

As a Redskins fan, if the team name changes, I might just be done as a fan. Yeah, after all we've been through under Dan Snyder, that doesn't make sense, but I am burnt out on this franchise. Changing the name is enough to have me be done with them. I won't root for another team, though as a Packers stockholder I will probably watch them the most, and I will still watch the NFL. This will just put my level of apathy over the top.
    Same I couldn't wear any of my redskins stuff, or I would be labeled racist
    YOU JUST MADE THE LIST!!!!!

HAPPY RUSSEV DAY!!!

2019 PSD Fantasy Nascar Champion

$20 says they become The Washington Generals.
    Quote Originally Posted by ChongInc. View Post
    Facts can be hypothetical.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkieMark48 View Post
    Damn right. You better never wear your Sean Taylor jersey ever again!

Quote Originally Posted by MarkieMark48 View Post
    You're racist for posting this

Sent from my KFDOWI using Tapatalk

The name is definitely going to change. There is too much money at stake. The Cleveland Indians and their logo will likely be next. Iím not so sure about the Chiefs though. Chiefs is not a derogatory term. Their logo is also not derogatory. The Redskins name and Indians logo are.

I wonder if the option would be there to rename the teams after actual tribes that are indigenous to the area that the teams play. Like paying homage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I assume whoever follows Snyder would change the name simply because the team has been AWFUL the last few decades.

Related: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbbZc2pab9k

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.B View Post
    I wonder if the option would be there to rename the teams after actual tribes that are indigenous to the area that the teams play. Like paying homage.
    If the tribes get paid some real money, then maybe. Otherwise no.

If the name change happens under Snyder, there's a higher chance the team ends up as the Washington Pepsis.

I won't root for another team, though as a Packers stockholder I will probably watch them the most, and I will still watch the NFL.
    Damn, I didn't know we had an NFL owner on this site.

Quote Originally Posted by goingfor28 View Post
    Damn right. You better never wear your Sean Taylor jersey ever again!
    Yea, those 5 or any of the other 26 I have
    YOU JUST MADE THE LIST!!!!!

HAPPY RUSSEV DAY!!!

2019 PSD Fantasy Nascar Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.B View Post
    The name is definitely going to change. There is too much money at stake. The Cleveland Indians and their logo will likely be next. Iím not so sure about the Chiefs though. Chiefs is not a derogatory term. Their logo is also not derogatory. The Redskins name and Indians logo are.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    NCAA made U of North Dakota drop Fighting Sioux as their mascot despite the local tribe's ok
    gotta love 'referential' treatment

Page 1 of 27 12311 ... LastLast