Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Pros and cons of a shortened preseason slate

The league wants a 2 game preseason, NFLPA hasn't signed off yet.
    In this particular season, what do you see as the good and bad of only playing 2 games?
    gotta love 'referential' treatment

I mean that bad is UDFA's. Less preseason games means younger players are going to struggle this year to make the roster.

There are no cons, there should only be 2 preseason games every year. The trend of starters not playing nearly all of preseason makes the games worth even less than they used to be when starters would play a few drives and then half of game 3.

The only players who won't get opportunities are guys who are barely making the 90 man TC rosters. 2 preseason games just means ~30 starters and contributors will sit the games out.

Quote Originally Posted by manbearchef View Post
    There are no cons, there should only be 2 preseason games every year. The trend of starters not playing nearly all of preseason makes the games worth even less than they used to be when starters would play a few drives and then half of game 3.

The only players who won't get opportunities are guys who are barely making the 90 man TC rosters. 2 preseason games just means ~30 starters and contributors will sit the games out.
    Because starters sitting out worked out so well for teams like the Rams?
    Resting starters both games means starters go into the season less ready to go
    NOT resting starters both games means teams get less of a chance to really see what they have and who best to keep on their roster.

Now, if this was a normal year and there'd already been OTAs etc and there was regular training camps, yes, less need for the preseason games........this isn't a normal year
    gotta love 'referential' treatment

Quote Originally Posted by SiteWolf View Post
    Because starters sitting out worked out so well for teams like the Rams?
    Resting starters both games means starters go into the season less ready to go
    NOT resting starters both games means teams get less of a chance to really see what they have and who best to keep on their roster.

Now, if this was a normal year and there'd already been OTAs etc and there was regular training camps, yes, less need for the preseason games........this isn't a normal year
    You mean the 2019 Rams who started the season 3-0?

You mean the 2019 Rams who started the season 3-0?
    It isnít where you start itís where you end.

I mean having 4 preseason games still helps players earn rosters spots and starting jobs.

A couple examples from the Raiders are:

Derek Carr: Derek Carr didnt earn the starting position his rookie year till after a having a great 4th preseason game. Without 4 preseason games Matt Schaub starts over Derek Carr in 2014.

Jalen Richard: UDFA tryout player who made the 90. After solid reps all 4 preseason game he made the 53. Current longest tenured Raiders RB.

Im sure there are plenty other examples too.

Preseason isnt really exciting and I get that. Its still important reps for fringe players and players trying to lock starting positions up.

Bingo. I see zero cons.

Itís all cons. Not enough reps to go around. And I know the new CBA has reduced pre seasons as well but with no scrimmages or co-practices UDFAs are screwed.

Quote Originally Posted by warfelg View Post
    Itís all cons. Not enough reps to go around. And I know the new CBA has reduced pre seasons as well but with no scrimmages or co-practices UDFAs are screwed.
    Agree. If you replaced preseason games with guided co-practices with some aspects filmed and shared around the league and things like that, is be all for it. You don't need a true "game" of 4 quarters with all the real nfl rules to develop guys. But there's a huge advantage to playing other teams.

As a packers fan, I look at stuff like how do young players develop when their counterparts are deficient in certain areas? The packers pass rush is pretty decent, but the Smith Bros aren't really full fledged speed guys. So how do you develop a young OT to work on speed rushers if that isn't on your roster. Same with the ILB position. The packers lack a strong ilb position, so developing your run game and teaching OL and TEs to reach LBs can be tricky if your LBs suck. The packers also generally lack speed and twitchy guys at WR. How do you develop young corners to defend against that if you dont have that?

Aaron Rodgers doesn't need those snaps. I get davante adams doesn't need that. The Smith Bros don't need those reps. David Bahktiari doesn't need those reps. But Rashan Gary probably needs those reps. Jordan Love needs those reps. The 3 late round rookie OL we took need those reps. Jace Sternberger probably could use those reps. And that doesn't even mention all the UDFAs that need those reps and need that film.

It isnít where you start itís where you end.
    Wanna run me through this logic? Missing a few preseason drives at best you could argue the players might be rusty the first week or two. How did <10 preseason drives cause the Rams to go 6-7 in their last 13? It'd be much easier to blame Goff's rough streak and a tough batch of opponents (SFx2, SEAx2, and BAL, plus PIT/DAL aren't gimmes).

Quote Originally Posted by HunterNRoss View Post
    I mean having 4 preseason games still helps players earn rosters spots and starting jobs.

A couple examples from the Raiders are:

Derek Carr: Derek Carr didnt earn the starting position his rookie year till after a having a great 4th preseason game. Without 4 preseason games Matt Schaub starts over Derek Carr in 2014.

Jalen Richard: UDFA tryout player who made the 90. After solid reps all 4 preseason game he made the 53. Current longest tenured Raiders RB.

Im sure there are plenty other examples too.

Preseason isnt really exciting and I get that. Its still important reps for fringe players and players trying to lock starting positions up.
    The question if your examples about Carr and Richard hadn't happened without those games.

Because there have been plenty of outstanding preseason players who ended up getting cut. Raheem Mostert would be an example, who lead all preseason players in yards from scrimmage with the Eagles in 2015, but got released. But that's just someone who actually made a name for himself later on. Those who don't get forgotten.

I'm pretty sure the Raiders knew that Carr had starting potential in a thousand times the amount they saw him that offseason than the fans did in preseason games.

That aside I won't deny that without OTAs, mini camp, and fewer preseason games, this year's UDFAs are getting massively screwed over. I think the NFL should temporarily increase roster sizes for this season. Not just to give these players a chance but also to mitigate the effects of eventual COVID outbreaks on teams during the season.

Wanna run me through this logic? Missing a few preseason drives at best you could argue the players might be rusty the first week or two. How did <10 preseason drives cause the Rams to go 6-7 in their last 13? It'd be much easier to blame Goff's rough streak and a tough batch of opponents (SFx2, SEAx2, and BAL, plus PIT/DAL aren't gimmes).
    Who gives a **** if you start 3-0 if you finish 6-10?

FWIW their 3-0 start came against Cam off surgery, an overrated Browns team, and the game Brees injured his thumb and Bridgewater finished. Not like it was against a bunch of great teams.

In a normal yea, I could go along with that... this year its a pretty big deal given the lack of time for the fringe guys to prove themselves.
    YOU JUST MADE THE LIST!!!!!

HAPPY RUSSEV DAY!!!

2019 PSD Fantasy Nascar Champion

Who gives a **** if you start 3-0 if you finish 6-10?

FWIW their 3-0 start came against Cam off surgery, an overrated Browns team, and the game Brees injured his thumb and Bridgewater finished. Not like it was against a bunch of great teams.
    They didn't finish 6-10, they finished 9-7. They only lost to 3 non-playoff teams (7-9 Bucs, 8-8 Cowboys, 8-8 Steelers). They were a decent team (with a limited QB and injured start RB) who faced a tough schedule with nearly half of their games against playoff teams and another handful against teams that weren't far off.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast