Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Packers Sign 1st RD Pick Jordan Love

Packers Sign QB Jordan Love
    July 1st, 2020 at 2:47pm CST by Zach Links
    Aaron Rodgers‘ heir apparent is officially in the fold. On Wednesday, the Packers officially announced the signing of quarterback Jordan Love.

[RELATED: Packers Sign A.J. Dillon]

The Packers were rumored to be interested in the Utah State QB before the draft, but it was still a surprise to see them trade up to take Love in the first round. The Packers gave up pick No. 136 in the fourth-round to move up four spots, grabbing the promising youngster at No. 26 overall. In accordance with his slot, Love will earn $12.38MM over the full life of the four-year contract and collect a $5.56MM signing bonus.

Opinions were split on Love heading into the draft. He was viewed as a potential top pick after a dominant sophomore season where he averaged 8.6 yards per attempt with 32 touchdowns and six interceptions. Then, in 2019, Love regressed – he averaged just 7.2 yards per attempt with 20 touchdowns against 17 interceptions.

Meanwhile, no one’s quite sure of what this means for Rodgers.

“I’m not going to talk about all that we talked about, but he was … let’s just say surprised that they went in that direction,” Rodgers’ predecessor Brett Favre said in May. “I think he’ll play somewhere else.”

Favre’s “gut” tells him that Rodgers won’t finish his career in Green Bay. For now, he’s under contract through 2023 with cap numbers in excess of $36MM in 2021 and ’22.

With Love signed, the Packers have just three stragglers to go. Here’s the full rundown of their draft class, via PFR’s tracker:

1-26: Jordan Love, QB (Utah State): Signed
    2-62: A.J. Dillon, RB (Boston College): Signed
    3-94: Josiah Deguara, TE (Cincinnati)
    5-175: Kamal Martin, LB (Minnesota)
    6-192: Jon Runyan, G (Michigan): Signed
    6-208: Jake Hanson, C (Oregon)
    6-209: Simon Stepaniak, T (Indiana): Signed
    7-236: Vernon Scott, S (TCU): Signed
    7-242: Jonathan Garvin, DE (Miami): Signed
    profootballrumors.com

contract is fully guaranteed

Well they didn’t need to trade up for him why stop the dumbass decisions.... they didn’t need to fully guarantee his contract either lol

This better work out or heads should roll

He's not going to start for 2 years at least. There's really no risk in guaranteeing his contract. Almost regardless of how bad he was, we weren't cutting him before year 4 anyway.

If anything, it's a calculated play. We probably would have waites him out anyway, so by guaranteeing the contract, you shown confidence and good faith and can maybe convince him the org has done good things for him in future negotiations.

Quote Originally Posted by crewfan13 View Post
    He's not going to start for 2 years at least.
    i am not so sure about that. if there is a season i think he starts next year (barring injury, and assuming Rodgers play style of the last 2 years). i can also see a monster trade involving GB and Cleveland next year. Rodgers personality has worn thin in Green Bay. Love is getting groomed for next year.

Quote Originally Posted by alabastertubby View Post
    i am not so sure about that. if there is a season i think he starts next year (barring injury, and assuming Rodgers play style of the last 2 years). i can also see a monster trade involving GB and Cleveland next year. Rodgers personality has worn thin in Green Bay. Love is getting groomed for next year.
    Not likely. If AR is traded it is a monster cap hit either of the next two years. After two years it's manageable. I don't see him being traded until after 2021 season.

Quote Originally Posted by gopackgo87 View Post
    Not likely. If AR is traded it is a monster cap hit either of the next two years. After two years it's manageable. I don't see him being traded until after 2021 season.
    2020 Cap Hit $21,642,000 Dead Cap $51,148,000
    2021 Cap Hit $36,352,000 Dead Cap $31,556,000

from https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/green-ba...-rodgers-3745/
    why did you have to be right? for some reason i thought this was going to be his last year for huge cap numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by alabastertubby View Post
    2020 Cap Hit $21,642,000 Dead Cap $51,148,000
    2021 Cap Hit $36,352,000 Dead Cap $31,556,000

from https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/green-ba...-rodgers-3745/
    why did you have to be right? for some reason i thought this was going to be his last year for huge cap numbers.
    The dead cap hit is huge in 2021, but it is still feasible they move on because they still save 5 mil. It is most likely Rodgers is here at least 2 more years crazy things do happen and it isn't out of the realm of possibilities.

It's true. There is a possibility that he's traded already next year. We "only" save $5 mill, but that's also super short sighted since we clear his number prior for subsequent years. And that's the huge part of it. If next year sees a cap decline, trading Rodgers and saving $5 mill could help some. But the other major help is that it would allow us to get creative with other contracts. We could re-up guys like Clark, bak, Jones, king and maybe even early extend Jaire with deals that result in a small cap charge in 2021 (with a smaller cap and Rodgers dead money) and then ramp those deals up more when Rodgers dead money clears and the cap goes back to normal.

I still think it's unlikely. Love needs work and this season feels like training camp and practice and all of that is going to be limited. So it feels unlikely that love gets the time he needs, but it's possible.

Quote Originally Posted by crewfan13 View Post
    It's true. There is a possibility that he's traded already next year. We "only" save $5 mill, but that's also super short sighted since we clear his number prior for subsequent years. And that's the huge part of it. If next year sees a cap decline, trading Rodgers and saving $5 mill could help some. But the other major help is that it would allow us to get creative with other contracts. We could re-up guys like Clark, bak, Jones, king and maybe even early extend Jaire with deals that result in a small cap charge in 2021 (with a smaller cap and Rodgers dead money) and then ramp those deals up more when Rodgers dead money clears and the cap goes back to normal.

I still think it's unlikely. Love needs work and this season feels like training camp and practice and all of that is going to be limited. So it feels unlikely that love gets the time he needs, but it's possible.
    There are now no preseaon games either so that doesn't bode well for Love playing next year.

Agree. But I think it depends on practice. We all are under the assumption that love is pretty raw. I think thats a pretty fair assumption. But maybe playing with nfl caliber talent and coaching clicks for him.

Like I said, I think it's highly unlikely rodgers isn't our qb for at least 2 more years, but I do think the chance he's traded next offseason is probably higher than I originally thought.

Greg cosell was on a fantasy sports show a while back that I was listening to and he made an interesting point. He thought there's a chance lafluer would prefer to have a Jared Goff or Jimmy G type of qb to a Rodgers. Rodgers makes his own plays and free-lances. Guys like Goff and JG are worse QBs, but they execute the offense as designed. It's possible we are looking to move to a qb that does that. Love very well could be really good at doing that.

My biggest gripe with love is that he makes bad desicions and forces that ball too much. That can be so what mitigated by an offense that defines your reads. That's what LA did so well with Goff when they went to the SB. Goff is really good at throwing the football. Goff is not a grwat qb. So they simplified the mental aspects and allowed him to be a thrower more than a thinker. It's possible love could be similar early in his career. You'd love for him to develop into a thinker as well who can read defenses and manipulate coverages, but early on, define throws for him and build a talented offense with the money savings from Rodgers.

with the drop of the salary cap next year there will be some very hard cuts. Roto: The NFLPA executives unanimously recommended the latest CBA proposal made by the NFL that would allow the 2020 NFL season to move forward as scheduled. The new agreement guarantees the salary cap will be at least $175 million for the 2021 season. it was $198.2 million this year before Covid 19.