Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

View Poll Results: Who is the G.O.A.T at their absolute peak?

Voters
9. You may not vote on this poll
  • Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

6 66.67%
  • Wilt Chamberlain

1 11.11%
  • Larry Bird

1 11.11%
  • Shaquille O'Neal

1 11.11%
  • Tim Duncan

0 0%
  • Magic Johnson

0 0%
  • Kobe Bryant

0 0%
  • Hakeem Olajuwon

0 0%
  • Moses Malone

0 0%
  • Bill Russell

0 0%
  • Stephen Curry

0 0%
  • Kevin Durant

0 0%
  • Dr. J

0 0%
  • Bill Walton

0 0%
  • Oscar Robertson

0 0%
  • James Harden

0 0%
  • Charles Barkley

0 0%
  • David Robinson

0 0%
  • Giannis Antetokounmpo

0 0%
  • Karl Malone

0 0%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by KnicksorBust View Post
    I think this argument loses some steam when you remember the Bulls swept them 4-0 the very next year.

However, I do completely agree that Shaq in the early 2000s is definitely a candidate for #3 peak.
    Out of player Iíve seen I think early 2000s Shaq is the 2nd best. LeBron is second best overall but I donít think he decimated teams the way peak Shaq did.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    My dick is named 'Ewing'.

Kaj for me again

Quote Originally Posted by NYKalltheway View Post
    Nobody is arguing sports on here. It's been 10 years of "Lebron is the greatest" being shoved into our throats and if we don't like it, we're ostracized. Sorry, but if you really wanted basketball discussion here you'd leave the threads on for several days and dedicate a lot of time and effort on explaining what peak actually means.

So far it's a popularity contest and since we've added a guy who shouldn't he top 20 as #2 just because he's the most hyped basketball player of all time, yes, I'm no longer participating in what I think is going to look like a farce. It's not an attack to your thread or idea, it's just how PSD is. It's not a great spot to talk basketball despite some of the effort displayed, mostly in the past, and the patience shown towards those who think basketball is some Excel formula.

Now if you want a basketball discussion based on those 2-3 threads, please do tell me why LeBron's peak is #2 of all time. People don't even know when that alleged peak was [emoji23]
    Lol at LeBron not being top 20

Nobody is arguing sports on here. It's been 10 years of "Lebron is the greatest" being shoved into our throats and if we don't like it, we're ostracized.
    You have a minority opinion. It's a sports forum. What do you expect?

Sorry, but if you really wanted basketball discussion here you'd leave the threads on for several days and dedicate a lot of time and effort on explaining what peak actually means.
    I'm leaving the threads open for 3 days so we can finish by the end of the August when basketball restarts. How long do you want me to leave them open?

Peak is a player's best season. How much time and effort do you need? I still have a full time job and four year old twins at home to watch.

So far it's a popularity contest and since we've added a guy who shouldn't he top 20 as #2 just because he's the most hyped basketball player of all time, yes, I'm no longer participating in what I think is going to look like a farce. It's not an attack to your thread or idea, it's just how PSD is. It's not a great spot to talk basketball despite some of the effort displayed, mostly in the past, and the patience shown towards those who think basketball is some Excel formula.

Now if you want a basketball discussion based on those 2-3 threads, please do tell me why LeBron's peak is #2 of all time. People don't even know when that alleged peak was
    I think his peak is 2013. This is my 3rd time saying it. LeBron had just won his second consecutive league MVP and his second consecutive Finals MVP. He led his team to an NBA best 66 wins in the regular season while making All-NBA 1st team and All-NBA Defensive 1st Team. He averaged 27ppg - 7 rpg - 7apg - 2spg while shooting 57% from the field and 40% from 3pt range. His advanced statistics were equally impressive.

I'm not sure what else a player can do to be considered top 20 of all-time.
    Last edited by KnicksorBust; 07-01-2020 at 02:16 PM.

Kristaps Porzingis
    Stronger than most 15 year old girls.

Quote Originally Posted by ewing View Post
    Out of player Iíve seen I think early 2000s Shaq is the 2nd best. LeBron is second best overall but I donít think he decimated teams the way peak Shaq did.

If I had to do tiers Shaq would definitely be in the top tier. I could see him going anywhere from #1 to #5.

Kristaps Porzingis

Quote Originally Posted by mngopher35 View Post
    Kaj for me again

Agreed.

Kristaps Porzingis

If I had to do tiers Shaq would definitely be in the top tier. I could see him going anywhere from #1 to #5.
    I remember when the Lakers faced the Nets in the finals and it was so obvious that Shaq could get 30 and 15 in his sleep. There was no game plan that could limit him.

I remember when the Lakers faced the Nets in the finals and it was so obvious that Shaq could get 30 and 15 in his sleep. There was no game plan that could limit him.

He did the same thing to the Pacers in 2000. He averaged 38ppg and 17rpg on 61% fg. Yikes! Sorry Rik Smits.

He even did it to Dikembe in 2001.

Early 2000s Shaq was just a scary dude. He murdered in all those finals.

Kristaps Porzingis

OFFICIAL G.O.A.T Rankings - Peak Only (Not career, not prime) - #3

He did the same thing to the Pacers in 2000. He averaged 38ppg and 17rpg on 61% fg. Yikes! Sorry Rik Smits.

He even did it to Dikembe in 2001.

Early 2000s Shaq was just a scary dude. He murdered in all those finals.
    It just felt like he could score anytime he wanted. Even if you didnít get him the ball if he wanted a bucket on the possession he would get the offensive rebound and dunk on you. Iím actually not a Shaq fan but I think he is definitely my # 2 for peak. I think when we say peak it should mean how likely is he to dominate a big series. By that bar early 2000s Shaq is definitely better then anyone Iíve seen not named Jordan.

I agree. I am going to switch my vote.

Updated voting:
    Kareem 3
    Shaq 3

Kristaps Porzingis

I agree. I am going to switch my vote.

Updated voting:
    Kareem 3
    Shaq 3
    If Shaq could hit a free throw heíd be #1 peak imo

I think his peak is 2013. This is my 3rd time saying it. LeBron had just won his second consecutive league MVP and his second consecutive Finals MVP. He led his team to an NBA best 66 wins in the regular season while making All-NBA 1st team and All-NBA Defensive 1st Team. He averaged 27ppg - 7 rpg - 7apg - 2spg while shooting 57% from the field and 40% from 3pt range. His advanced statistics were equally impressive.
    What you're describing here is how his team helped him gain accolades, none of what you have said here on its own shows anything about individual quality. If I played with prime Wade and Bosh, with Ray Allen being around I could also claim that I'm at my peak. But I'll just look better because I have those guys around, not because I suddenly improved.
    You keep mentioning the % but you are ignoring the context of it. I don't care what he averaged, it cannot be direclty compared through a spreadsheet with anyone else at any point in the history of the game, you can barely even compare this to his peers from the same season. They played against different opponents, more games vs another. You should seriously only do this when it comes to divisional rivals at a given season.

I do get the argument you're having about 2013, but it's not really valid seeing Lebron throughout his career. The best I've seen him was at Cleveland before moving to Miami and in his first couple of seasons wtih prime Wade.

So in my view Lebron's peak was actually somewhere between 2008-9 and 2011-12. That was when he was at his best in terms of athleticism which was what was separating him. If we go by 2013, then he's more all around but not as effective in terms of strength. He's still very fast today so that's not part of the equation.
    Last edited by NYKalltheway; 07-01-2020 at 04:21 PM.

If Shaq could hit a free throw heíd be #1 peak imo
    Would be funny to have a chart of Shaq's clutch FT % compared to others. He usually made the ones that mattered the most.

What you're describing here is how his team helped him gain accolades, none of what you have said here on its own shows anything about individual quality. If I played with prime Wade and Bosh, with Ray Allen being around I could also claim that I'm at my peak.
    Magic had Worthy and Kareem
    Bird had DJ / McHale / Parish
    Shaq had Kobe
    MJ had Pippen

But I'll just look better because I have those guys around, not because I suddenly improved. You keep mentioning the % but you are ignoring the context of it.
    I actually think it is you that is ignoring the context of it. He played PF that year. He dropped his usage rate. Lowered his turnover rate. Yet still had more assists. Took less deep 2's. And became a beast in the post. Even Erik Spolestra said at the time that it was LeBron learning to play in the post that made them unbeatable. That's why those numbers improved the way they did. He had evolved.

I don't care what he averaged, it cannot be direclty compared through a spreadsheet with anyone else at any point in the history of the game, you can barely even compare this to his peers from the same season. They played against different opponents, more games vs another. You should seriously only do this when it comes to divisional rivals at a given season.

I do get the argument you're having about 2013, but it's not really valid seeing Lebron throughout his career. The best I've seen him was at Cleveland before moving to Miami and in his first couple of seasons wtih prime Wade.
    Why would you take him when he was jacking deep 2's and 3's and didn't have a post game?

So in my view Lebron's peak was actually somewhere between 2008-9 and 2011-12. That was when he was at his best in terms of athleticism which was what was separating him. If we go by 2013, then he's more all around but not as effective in terms of strength. He's still very fast today so that's not part of the equation.
    He wasn't "as effective in terms of strength" in 2013 when he was 28 years old? That doesn't make sense.

You are basing this opinion on what?

Kristaps Porzingis

Updated voting (with posts in the thread counted):

Shaq 4
    Kareem 4

Tiebreaker vote?

Kristaps Porzingis

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast