Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
    Quote Originally Posted by QB_Eagles View Post
    Source? It's $27M for QBs this year and I don't see it going up in 2021 for reasons stated in this thread.
    Sorry thought you wrote exclusive. But no need to source it. Just average the top ten salaries. Looking at about $31 mil then.

Quote Originally Posted by mariner4life View Post
    Cam being healthy and not playing well is not a possible outcome?
    Given that "playing well" is a pretty low bar and a healthy Cam Newton is a proven top 15 minimum player, I'd say him being healthy and not playing well isn't very likely.

If Cam has a bad year.
    1) He was surrounded by trash!
    2) He must of not fully recovered!

So basically no matter what happens your covered.

Quote Originally Posted by mariner4life View Post
    If Cam has a bad year.
    1) He was surrounded by trash!
    2) He must of not fully recovered!

So basically no matter what happens your covered.
    Cam has been surrounded by trash most of his career, so if he's unsuccessful it'll 100% be health related. If Cams successful every Cam hater is gonna discredit every aspect of why he succeeds, whereas if he's unsuccessful they'll ignore the very obvious injury history just so they can make easy hot takes while he's at his lowest. It happened at the end of 2018 with the shoulder injury and it happened in 2019 with the lisfranc injury. Nobody will comment on Cam's history of being really smart at reading defenses and making adjustments at the line, they'll say it was BB/McDaniels "fixing" him. Nobody will comment on Cam's history of running the complicated EHP offense from 2013-2017, they'll talk about how it was a miracle they dumbed the Pats offense down.

Quote Originally Posted by manbearchef View Post
    Cam has been surrounded by trash most of his career, so if he's unsuccessful it'll 100% be health related. If Cams successful every Cam hater is gonna discredit every aspect of why he succeeds, whereas if he's unsuccessful they'll ignore the very obvious injury history just so they can make easy hot takes while he's at his lowest. It happened at the end of 2018 with the shoulder injury and it happened in 2019 with the lisfranc injury. Nobody will comment on Cam's history of being really smart at reading defenses and making adjustments at the line, they'll say it was BB/McDaniels "fixing" him. Nobody will comment on Cam's history of running the complicated EHP offense from 2013-2017, they'll talk about how it was a miracle they dumbed the Pats offense down.
    Maybe youre right but arent you doing the exact thing?
    No matter what he does the haters will find a way to hate and you will rationalize a way to look at the positive.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.B View Post
    You know that number is not based on the cap right? Even if the cap goes down the average of the top 10 QBs could go up as other top 10 QBs get extensions. Right now the average of the top 10 (non-exclusive tag) is $27M. Dak, Mahomes, and Jackson could all get new deals by then. I said $35M but honestly it could be more than $35M. Definitely do not see the Pats going that route.
    Well, the exclusive tag is based on the cap; the non-exclusive one isn't. But even the non-exclusive one could go down if a loss in revenue leads to teams restructuring top QB contracts, pushing money from the current year to future years. It's one of the most obvious options for teams if they suddenly need to create tens of millions in cap space.

Anyway, the main point is it's not going to cost the Patriots $35+ million if they want to keep Cam.

(It's going to cost $37.7 million to tag Dak a second time though. In a COVID-affected year? Oof.)
    Last edited by QB_Eagles; 07-01-2020 at 11:49 PM.

Given that "playing well" is a pretty low bar and a healthy Cam Newton is a proven top 15 minimum player, I'd say him being healthy and not playing well isn't very likely.
    Yup. If he's healthy I highly doubt he has a poor season. He's a good player, he's just had injury troubles lately.

Well, the exclusive tag is based on the cap; the non-exclusive one isn't.
    Exclusive is the average of top 5, non-exclusive is average of top 10. Nothing is tied to cap.

Quote Originally Posted by warfelg View Post
    exclusive is the average of top 5, non-exclusive is average of top 10. Nothing is tied to cap.
    I read that wrong; what contracts are factored in are based on their cap hit or the percentage of the cap they occupy. So yeah, the only way that can go down is if QBs restructure contracts next year.
    Last edited by QB_Eagles; 07-02-2020 at 03:12 PM.

I read that wrong; what contracts are factored in are based on their cap hit or the percentage of the cap they occupy. So yeah, the only way that can go down is if QBs restructure contracts next year.
    Nope. Just total cap. No percentages used. Most likely looking at a $32-34 mil tag next year. I think theyll be unlikely to use it from a spending perspective.

Thats what happened at the beginning of free agency. Daks number kept going up and down based other QBs signing extensions. His number settled in $31M before he signed it.

Like I said before, if Dak, Mahomes, and/or Jackson sign long term extensions this season it could very well push either of those tags (exclusive or non-exclusive) at its above $35M next off season. No way the Pats guarantee Cam that much for 1 season. Not unless he comes in and dominates and leads them to the SB.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by warfelg View Post
    Nope. Just total cap. No percentages used. Most likely looking at a $32-34 mil tag next year. I think theyll be unlikely to use it from a spending perspective.
    It's the top contracts ordered by cap hit, or percentage of the cap. It's the same thing. That's what I confused.

I don't gamble but I'm certain the non-exclusive tag won't be $34M next year. (Re-tags like Dak excluded of course.)
    Last edited by QB_Eagles; 07-02-2020 at 05:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mgjohnson7851 View Post
    Testaverde, Bledsoe, Brady, and, Cassel were all at least decent with him
    Bledsoe was 5-13 w/ Belichick and transgressing at age 27. They scored 3 points the game prior to his injury.
    Nothing decent about his play, they were a mess.

I always thought Cam was hamstrung by the Panthers front office. They (Rivera too) never prioritized the offense in the draft and the picks & FA's they brought in too often didn't work out. Every year I saw the Panthers I think I said "ya know Cam doesn't really have much help"

Quote Originally Posted by blams View Post
    Instantly a super bowl contender

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    Facts

I agree 100%

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567