Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    I think we’re quite a ways away from assuming the Pats would want to tag Cam. They reportedly had no interest in signing him until his price dropped to basically free. So as of right now it doesn’t appear they value him enough to tag. We’ll see if he outpaces their expectations this year and changes that.

NE Patriots Forum HOF (Class of 2011)

Quote Originally Posted by hugepatsfan View Post
    I think we’re quite a ways away from assuming the Pats would want to tag Cam. They reportedly had no interest in signing him until his price dropped to basically free. So as of right now it doesn’t appear they value him enough to tag. We’ll see if he outpaces their expectations this year and changes that.
    Agreed. The odds of him being tagged were quite low. I mean he’s just trying to make the team.
    It’s just funny that even if he has a great year he still would only get another one year deal.

Quote Originally Posted by mariner4life View Post
    He was desperate though. I guess he thought the alternative of not starting or playing this year wasn’t going to be any better.
    Strange though that he couldn’t negotiate that provision given how he signed a cheap contract. But again I guess he was desperate.
    It's also not confirmed that it's true, we haven't even heard what his incentives are. I have a feeling this is probably a complex contract that gives the Pats a ton of outs and Cam the opportunity to prove himself.

My guess is this is where Cam wanted to be. He had at least a month to negotiate, probably longer given we have no clue when TC will start. If he cared about money, he could've gotten more from a backup gig. Cam likely sees an open competition that he will likely win and a competent coaching staff. Anywhere else he had a shot at competing for a starting job would be an awful team with bad orb inexperienced coaching.

Obviously, it's a prove it contract right now. If Cam's not healthy or doesn't work out they obviously wouldn't tag him, but if Cam plays like an above average QB and they're not sold that Stidham is anything special it's a no brainer to tag.

Can't wait to see the excuses when Cam leads them to a playoff birth and is a top 10 QB in the NFL.

Yea I don’t see the Pats willing to guarantee Cam $35M+ for 1 season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by BDawk4Prez View Post
    Can't wait to see the excuses when Cam leads them to a playoff birth and is a top 10 QB in the NFL.
    Or the excuses if he doesn’t start or fails at being a starter.

Quote Originally Posted by mariner4life View Post
    Or the excuses if he doesn’t start or fails at being a starter.
    Not from me, I have no issue saying I'm wrong.

Not from me, I have no issue saying I'm wrong.
    I know you do. I respect that.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.B View Post
    Yea I don’t see the Pats willing to guarantee Cam $35M+ for 1 season.
    The 2021 non-exclusive franchise tag isn't going to cost $35M+.

(Except for Dak if he gets tagged a 2nd time.)

Slated to be $33.8 mil as of right now. If Mahomes gets his contract and Dak gets his this could go up fast.

Quote Originally Posted by warfelg View Post
    Slated to be $33.8 mil as of right now.
    Source? It's $27M for QBs this year and I don't see it going up in 2021 for reasons stated in this thread.

There's only two outcomes:

1.) Cam plays well.

"Its the syzstem!!!! BB is so great!"

2.) Cam's not healthy and is no longer able to play.

"Seeeeee?!? I told ya, Cam has always been trash!"

Quote Originally Posted by manbearchef View Post
    There's only two outcomes:

1.) Cam plays well.

"Its the syzstem!!!! BB is so great!"

2.) Cam's not healthy and is no longer able to play.

"Seeeeee?!? I told ya, Cam has always been trash!"
    Cam being healthy and not playing well is not a possible outcome?

Quote Originally Posted by QB_Eagles View Post
    The 2021 non-exclusive franchise tag isn't going to cost $35M+.

(Except for Dak if he gets tagged a 2nd time.)
    Can they only use the non-exclusive tag in him? The exclusive tag for Dak this year was $31M. The non-exclusive tag for Dak this year was $27M. The average for the top 5 next year could be higher if one of the top QB’s get en extension.

I don’t think the Pats would even want to guarantee Cam $27M for 1 season.

Quote Originally Posted by QB_Eagles View Post
    Source? It's $27M for QBs this year and I don't see it going up in 2021 for reasons stated in this thread.
    You know that number is not based on the cap right? Even if the cap goes down the average of the top 10 QB’s could go up as other top 10 QB’s get extensions. Right now the average of the top 10 (non-exclusive tag) is $27M. Dak, Mahomes, and Jackson could all get new deals by then. I said $35M but honestly it could be more than $35M. Definitely do not see the Pats going that route.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast