Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by QB_Eagles View Post
    It's an indirect effect.

Say your team has no cap space to sign free agents due to the loss in revenue and you're the QB getting asked to convert your current year's salary into a restructuring bonus that's assigned to future cap years, why wouldn't you do it? You get the same money either way, and even become harder to be released.
    I get what you’re saying but Dak signing, Mahomes signing, Watson signing could easily offset the “losses” of any of the top 5 taking a restructure.

Not the thread for in depth discussion but I think we would see an increase in cuts compared to other years vs restructures.

Quote Originally Posted by SiteWolf View Post
    Richard Sherman would have offered him much more.......but he didn't.
    Dicky boy, when it's your money, you can spend it how you like....his contract does have incentives paying him nicely if he actually plays and plays well
    His maximized incentives are 7M, thats a far cry from being paid nicely. Sherman legit could probably afford to pay Cam more out of his own pocket lol. I think Andy Dalton got more than that to be a backup.

If Cams healthy and this works out there's gonna be a lot of people crying about the Pats getting him and how unfair it was.

Quote Originally Posted by manbearchef View Post
    His maximized incentives are 7M, thats a far cry from being paid nicely. Sherman legit could probably afford to pay Cam more out of his own pocket lol. I think Andy Dalton got more than that to be a backup.

If Cams healthy and this works out there's gonna be a lot of people crying about the Pats getting him and how unfair it was.
    thought I read where his incentives could bring his salary near the top 20 of starting QBs...but then I also didn't look at what that dollar amount would actually be
    gotta love 'referential' treatment

I'm sure you only needed the 3 games you've seen i guess.
    Dude. He was one of if not the most high profile player in the NFL at one point. I find it pretty funny that you think no one has watched Cam ****ing Newton before lol. First overall picks who become superstars on good teams get a lot of of exposure.

Quote Originally Posted by QB_Eagles View Post
    Cam will be playing for Josh McDaniels anyway... the guy who drafted Tim Tebow in the first round as you well remember.

The offense will look different not just because of the addition of Cam, but Stidham who was the supposed starting QB since free agency is athletic as well.
    Yeah and Cam is on a one year deal that's very cheap...I doubt the Patriots really care about keeping him healthy lol.

Quote Originally Posted by SiteWolf View Post
    Richard Sherman would have offered him much more.......but he didn't.
    Dicky boy, when it's your money, you can spend it how you like....his contract does have incentives paying him nicely if he actually plays and plays well
    Even if Cam hits all his incentives, he would get paid less than Mitchell Trubisky.

So I think "Dicky boy" got a point.

He's literally always been a pocket passer who also had designed runs. You can't "make someone be a pocket passer" when their own coaches are already doing it. This is one of the dumbest takes in football. Like you think it took 6 seasons for teams to think you can just run a generic contain defense? Even you must realize how dumb that sounds.

His sub 60% completion is due to bad offensive surroundings and playing in a downfield offense with receivers who couldn't get separation. In 2018 we shifted to a dink and dunk offense and he was at nearly 70% before his shoulder injury. Put Patrick Mahomes on the 2016-2017 Panthers throwing down field to Kelvin Benjamin and Devin Funchess while being protected by Mike Remmers and Matt Kalil and he'd look like an average deep passer too. That offense was easily the most unfriendly offense for a QB to play in that I've seen.

Because this is a team that was one Miami choke job away from the #2 seed based entirely on defensive play. Their defense had like 6 games where they scored enough defensive points to outscore the other team. The Pats are too good on defense to legitimately tank. If Cam can play as good as his 2011/2013/2015/2017/early 2018 seasons they'll be competing for a top 3 seed in the AFC. It would make little sense for BB to gamble a season on hoping a young late pick QB takes a big step when Cam is an option for a non guaranteed 7M.
    Dumbest take in football yet the following happened:

The Panthers signed Teddy B. (A true pocket passer) for more money than they were going to pay Cam.

The Panthers couldn't trade Cam for anything.

Panthers release Cam and no team shows interest for months.

Patriots finally sign Cam but it's for peanuts on a one year deal.

Sure, Newton CAN play from the pocket. But he doesn't scare any team as a pocket QB. He was scary as a running QB (Something I'm sure he'll be in NE).

Quote Originally Posted by mgjohnson7851 View Post
    Dude. He was one of if not the most high profile player in the NFL at one point. I find it pretty funny that you think no one has watched Cam ****ing Newton before lol. First overall picks who become superstars on good teams get a lot of of exposure.
    Dumbest take in football yet the following happened:

The Panthers signed Teddy B. (A true pocket passer) for more money than they were going to pay Cam.

The Panthers couldn't trade Cam for anything.

Panthers release Cam and no team shows interest for months.

Patriots finally sign Cam but it's for peanuts on a one year deal.

Sure, Newton CAN play from the pocket. But he doesn't scare any team as a pocket QB. He was scary as a running QB (Something I'm sure he'll be in NE).
    So you've gone from years of "Cams not a pocket passer" to he doesn't scare anyone as a pocket passer. At least we'll call that progress.

So you've gone from years of "Cams not a pocket passer" to he doesn't scare anyone as a pocket passer. At least we'll call that progress.
    I mean literally every QB in three NFL passes from the pocket sometimes. If you want that to be the definition of pocket passer, that's your choice.

But to me, calling someone a pocket passer means that it's a strength of theirs. I wouldn't say that playing the QB position from the pocket is a strength of Newton's

I mean literally every QB in three NFL passes from the pocket sometimes. If you want that to be the definition of pocket passer, that's your choice.
    That's the definition everyone uses, except when it comes to athletic QBs, or some people just black QBs. Cam scrambles less than Aaron Rodgers despite a polar opposite OL situation, yet I've never heard anyone say he's not a pocket passer. I've also heard plenty of people call Jameis "5 second 40" Winston a running QB despite being slow as **** and only bailing the pocket out of necessity. And if you want to give Rodgers that pass for being "elite" or whatever we're declaring him these days, I've never heard a non-elite, white QB criticized as not being a pocket passer.

The fact that Cam could take 5-8 designed runs per game and do some damage or turn a blown up play into a huge gain doesn't change the 25-30 traditional pocket throws he would make per game. If he's not a pocket passer, I have no ****ing clue what you'd call him.

Newton was paid more by Auburn than the Patriots are paying him

That's the definition everyone uses, except when it comes to athletic QBs, or some people just black QBs. Cam scrambles less than Aaron Rodgers despite a polar opposite OL situation, yet I've never heard anyone say he's not a pocket passer. I've also heard plenty of people call Jameis "5 second 40" Winston a running QB despite being slow as **** and only bailing the pocket out of necessity. And if you want to give Rodgers that pass for being "elite" or whatever we're declaring him these days, I've never heard a non-elite, white QB criticized as not being a pocket passer.

The fact that Cam could take 5-8 designed runs per game and do some damage or turn a blown up play into a huge gain doesn't change the 25-30 traditional pocket throws he would make per game. If he's not a pocket passer, I have no ****ing clue what you'd call him.
    You're lying to yourself if you think those 8 rushing attempts per game didn't have a huge impact on the passing game. It isn't about scrambling. Newton runs over twice as much as Rodgers. Newton also averages double the amount of rushing yards per game as Rodgers. So comparing the two players isn't really worthwhile.

A better comparison would be with the most notorious running QB of all time. Cam Newton actually averages 2 more runs per game than Mike Vick did. And Vick only averaged 4 more yards per game than Newton.

Listen to any defensive player talk about why it's so stressful trying to defend a running QB.

for the 3rd time.... over the last 4 years he has a comp pct under 60 and a ypa under 7

You're lying to yourself if you think those 8 rushing attempts per game didn't have a huge impact on the passing game. It isn't about scrambling. Newton runs over twice as much as Rodgers. Newton also averages double the amount of rushing yards per game as Rodgers. So comparing the two players isn't really worthwhile.

A better comparison would be with the most notorious running QB of all time. Cam Newton actually averages 2 more runs per game than Mike Vick did. And Vick only averaged 4 more yards per game than Newton.

Listen to any defensive player talk about why it's so stressful trying to defend a running QB.
    I've never argued that his impact in rushing doesn't effect the defense when defending the pass. I've argued with any notion that he's not a pocket passer. When he runs, it's typical a designed run with no passing option. When he passes, it's from the pocket. Cam is an absolute weapon and arguably the best short yardage weapon of my lifetime, that doesn't change the fact that he's a pocket passer.

Also, people are quick to say how his rushing changes how teams defend his passing game, but not so fast to point out how hard the passing game is made by having straight up garbage on offense. 2017 for example featured so many 3rd and 8s that came via disastrous Jonathan Stewart runs; Cams running threat is the only help he had when faced with 3rd and long with bums like Kelvin Benjamin, Devin Funchess, Brenton Bersin, and Kaylin Clay while being "protected" by Matt Kalil and Daryl Williams.

Quote Originally Posted by More-Than-Most View Post
    for the 3rd time.... over the last 4 years he has a comp pct under 60 and a ypa under 7
    For the millionth time, he's played on a trash offense that focused on down field throws with WRs who couldn't catch or separate. And again, 2018 in a Brady/Brees type of dink and dunk offense he was at 67% and 7.2 YPA even after 3 games where he clearly couldn't throw without pain.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast