Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by NBA all the way View Post
    Based on what cap number did you come up with the 5 or 6 teams? $117 million (last summer projection for 20-21), $115 million (January prediction, after losing China revenue for 20-21), $109 million (current cap), $102 million (roughly last season's cap) or you have no figure you're going on and just speaking out the side of your neck?
    I don't think the cap will be lower than 1 or 2M from this season's cap, most probably will be the same at 109M and 132.5M for the lux tax threshold, but I say in the O/P that my comment is based on the lux tax threshold to be lower than this season at 130M.

Quote Originally Posted by mouseslept View Post
    I don't think the cap will be lower than 1 or 2M from this season's cap, most probably will be the same at 109M and 132.5M for the lux tax threshold, but I say in the O/P that my comment is based on the lux tax threshold to be lower than this season at 130M.
    If the board of governors and NBPA agree to smooth the deficit over multiple seasons, it's possible. But they will have to calculate the BRI during the moratorium period and calculate the exact losses, then decide what to do.

If the cap stays the same, the luxury tax will stay the same too, they're fixed percentages. Which if is the case the thread is kinda a moot point. I think the real scare factor is if it drops significantly, without smoothing. The players already did give some money back this season to try to get to the 50/50 split of BRI

Wut? 400K how do you figure?

His first year salary was set to be 25% of $117 million. Now worse case it could be 25% of $95 million.

That's $29,250,000 versus $23,750,000. That is way more than a few hundred grand.
    25% of 109M is 27.22M, again no big deal, but in any case, the more the cap will drop, the worst the situation for the Sixers to retain the roster intact becomes. It's not to their favour to save some money out of Simmons' salary but the cap to be set low, it's the opposite that they would want, especially if they lose the pick to OKC and if they'll be eliminated before the ECF this season.

Are you a Sixers fan?

25% of 109M is 27.22M, again no big deal, but in any case, the more the cap will drop, the worst the situation for the Sixers to retain the roster intact becomes. It's not to their favour to save some money out of Simmons' salary but the cap to be set low, it's the opposite that they would want, especially if they lose the pick to OKC and if they'll be eliminated before the ECF this season.

Are you a Sixers fan?
    Still, that's like $2 million.

I'm not, I think Ben and Embiid are super talented, Horford is a nice guy or seems so. Harris is a perfect fit at 4 but just okay at 3. I just think they're entertaining to watch, that's what I look for, entertaining players or entertaining teams. Why I was happy for Kawhi last season, he put together a heck of a run, took down the Miami dynasty with the Spurs, then took down the Warriors dynasty with Toronto. He's a little out there but him and paul being defense first is different for today's NBA, they're both pretty quite too.

Idk man, I just want to watch hoops again or even baseball, obviously football too. I just seek entertainment, while I'm not at work or out doing stuff.

Still, that's like $2 million.

I'm not, I think Ben and Embiid are super talented, Horford is a nice guy or seems so. Harris is a perfect fit at 4 but just okay at 3. I just think they're entertaining to watch, that's what I look for, entertaining players or entertaining teams. Why I was happy for Kawhi last season, he put together a heck of a run, took down the Miami dynasty with the Spurs, then took down the Warriors dynasty with Toronto. He's a little out there but him and paul being defense first is different for today's NBA, they're both pretty quite too.

Idk man, I just want to watch hoops again or even baseball, obviously football too. I just seek entertainment, while I'm not at work or out doing stuff.
    Well, I don't see the Sixers surviving this, I believe they will both lose the pick (which then becomes 2x2nd, they lose it for good) and will be eliminated early, perhaps won't even survive the 1st round of the playoffs.

Well, I don't see the Sixers surviving this, I believe they will both lose the pick (which then becomes 2x2nd, they lose it for good) and will be eliminated early, perhaps won't even survive the 1st round of the playoffs.
    Just depends who they match up with, imo Brett isn't a great coach. I think the 76ers can give the Bucks a heck of a 7 game series but they won't drop that far. I think they could even challenge the Raptors in a 7 game series, I would actually enjoy watching that series. Ben could probably give Kemba some fits but otherwise the Celtics would probably cruise through that series. I think Heat could more than likely take the 76ers. Idk who the Pacers are even bringing to the Mickey Mouse Tournament, they may be an easy out for anyone, same with the Nets since none of their big names are attending.

Just depends who they match up with, imo Brett isn't a great coach. I think the 76ers can give the Bucks a heck of a 7 game series but they won't drop that far. I think they could even challenge the Raptors in a 7 game series, I would actually enjoy watching that series. Ben could probably give Kemba some fits but otherwise the Celtics would probably cruise through that series. I think Heat could more than likely take the 76ers. Idk who the Pacers are even bringing to the Mickey Mouse Tournament, they may be an easy out for anyone, same with the Nets since none of their big names are attending.
    I would mostly agree, but on the ability of the Sixers to give a 7 games run to the Bucks and on the Pacers... I believe the Pacers have really benefit from the break and could have a much better than the late January, half ready Olandipo we saw before the break, if that is the case, the Pacers can be dangerous.

I also think that the only team which may threaten the Bucks, is the Heat due to their ability to play exceptional team defence on Giannis.

Based on what are you projecting the cap will go down less than $2M?

Quote Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
    3 the most... I can't see it going lower, most probably it will stay put. No rise causes enough trouble to the league already.

It could stay at $109 million if the board of governors and NBPA agreed to that. The players giving some money back helps too. If the full restart goes as planned, that will help too. Just depends how flexible both sides are.

It could stay at $109 million if the board of governors and NBPA agreed to that. The players giving some money back helps too. If the full restart goes as planned, that will help too. Just depends how flexible both sides are.
    It may even rise by a couple of millions, it doesn't seem likely, but it may if there are signs that things can be back to normal by the beginning of the next season and people can be hosted in the arenas.

It may even rise by a couple of millions, it doesn't seem likely, but it may if there are signs that things can be back to normal by the beginning of the next season and people can be hosted in the arenas.
    Idk about that. It's really too soon to tell what the total loss will end up being.

"The Salary Cap is calculated by multiplying projected Basketball-Related Income (or “BRI”) by 44.74%, less projected player benefits (like health and welfare benefits), and then dividing the result by 30 (the current number of NBA teams... BRI generally includes all income that teams receive from their basketball operations. The specific definition is mind-numbing, covers almost 35 pages, and will make you thankful you’re not an auditor (or, if you are an auditor, guarantee your employment for many years to come once you get your arms around it). Any item that is included in BRI under the CBA benefits players, as it will increase the Salary Cap. Increasing the Salary Cap has a cascading effect on the amount of compensation each player can make.

The definition includes a truly wide range of basketball-related income — from “sales of jersey patch rights” (note, these patches were not even on jerseys at the time the CBA was signed), to arena signage that is displayed during regular season games and “at least 75% of non-NBA events,” to a portion of arena naming rights deals, to “gambling on NBA games or any aspect of NBA games” (note, this gambling-related income was included before the US Supreme Court paved the way for states to legalize gambling), and even to proceeds from a team’s NBA championship parade."

Again, based on what are you thinking it will barely go down at all or maybe go up?

Again, based on what are you thinking it will barely go down at all or maybe go up?
    Officially, the projected salary cap for the 20-21 season was announced last Feb at 115M for the "soft" cap and 139M for the lux tax threshold and still, this hasn't been altered, nor an official announcement has been made that those figures won't apply.

However, given the circumstances, it is highly rumoured (it's all over the web) that these figures will be reduced further.

In any case, the subject here has to do with the tough situation in which the Sixers, the Nets and GSW are into and this doesn't change much even if the figures stay as announced back in Feb.

There will be a meeting of the governors after the season ends and there, it will be decided how much further these figures will be reduced, but it is a given that the vast majority of the governors will not want a reduction further than this season's cap, because it would then affect severely their business plans by which they've proceed making investments up to now.

Officially, the projected salary cap for the 20-21 season was announced last Feb at 115M for the "soft" cap and 139M for the lux tax threshold and still, this hasn't been altered, nor an official announcement has been made that those figures won't apply.

However, given the circumstances, it is highly rumoured (it's all over the web) that these figures will be reduced further.

In any case, the subject here has to do with the tough situation in which the Sixers, the Nets and GSW are into and this doesn't change much even if the figures stay as announced back in Feb.

There will be a meeting of the governors after the season ends and there, it will be decided how much further these figures will be reduced, but it is a given that the vast majority of the governors will not want a reduction further than this season's cap, because it would then affect severely their business plans by which they've proceed making investments up to now.
    The Warriors are exactly where they expected to be and the cap going down is not going to have any effect on them.

So, you are saying the cap won't go down much based on the cap officially not going down yet for next year?

The NBA said they were looking at loosing 1-3 billion in revenue this year, if the playoffs happen they will get some of that back but not all of it. If next season starts late and is shortened and fans are not allowed in normal numbers then the revenue next year will be similarly effected. There is no way the cap barely changes or even goes up as you suggest.

I think it's likely the NBA and NBAPA try to come up with a luxury tax forgiveness or postponing scheme, but they are limited within the CBA and the players definitely don't want to open up the possibility of scrapping and re-writing the CBA.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast