Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Is Isiah Thomas underrated?

The guy played on a hated team and had public feuds with Larry Legend (just another good guy if he was black) and MJ (walking off the court/dream team). Even after his playing days the guy was a PR nightmare for himself. Did all this hurt Isiah’s legacy and is he underrated bc of it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    My dick is named 'Ewing'.

Yes he is underrated.

Arguably the 2nd best PG.
    Arguably a top 15 player of all time.
    By far the most hated player, directly or indirectly, in the history of the NBA.

Quote Originally Posted by NYKalltheway View Post
    Yes he is underrated.

Arguably the 2nd best PG.
    Arguably a top 15 player of all time.
    By far the most hated player, directly or indirectly, in the history of the NBA.
    I wouldn’t rank him that high but I think my # 2 might be a bit unpopular as well. Kidd is my # 2

Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    My dick is named 'Ewing'.

Quote Originally Posted by ewing View Post
    I wouldn’t rank him that high but I think my # 2 might be a bit unpopular as well. Kidd is my # 2

I also prefer Kidd and also Walt Frazier, but Isiah has a legitimate argument for 2nd best PG.

Top 5 point guard of all time. Also top 5 ars hole of all time. I guess from public perception, arshole trumped his play. Burned his bridges with everyone. Comments about Larry Bird like the OP said. Comments about Magic after he came out about having HIV. Dissing the Bulls and unsportsman like walking off the court. I can go on but you guys know the rest anyway.

"I set my DVR for the Biggest Loser, but it keeps recording Clippers games."

I don't think he's underrated. He's a top 5 PG of all time and probably the most hated player of all time. As an executive/coach he's one of the best though.
    Quote Originally Posted by ChongInc. View Post
    Facts can be hypothetical.

top 5 PG all time? Really?

If you want the ultimate, you've got to be willing to pay the ultimate price. It's not tragic to die doing what you love.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye15 View Post
    top 5 PG all time? Really?
    Good players make those around them better. Zeke made the players around him psychotic yet still under control.

Quote Originally Posted by R. Johnson#3 View Post
    Good players make those around them better. Zeke made the players around him psychotic yet still under control.
    The whole Pistons tenure during their great years had revolving vets and Daly as well to do that. Rodman was also not the Dennis Rodman we knew a few years later with them.

I actually think Zeke is overrated. He is constantly rated a top 5 PG (like here), yet I can't possibly agree.

Magic
    Stockton
    Oscar

those are without question not even worth arguing.

Kidd
    Curry
    Paul
    Payton

What argument does he have over the above guys? Even Zeke's 2 chips, he was a subpar scorer efficiency wise, he wasn't even remotely the reason his team was awesome defensively, and if we are going to start evaluating players on the regular equations, he has literally 1 award worth mentioning (Finals MVP), and a few all NBA teams. Like, I get we like to value the will to win, and all that. But he wasn't the best PG of his era, not even the 2nd best, and I just can't fathom why people rate the guy so high.

If you want the ultimate, you've got to be willing to pay the ultimate price. It's not tragic to die doing what you love.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye15 View Post
    The whole Pistons tenure during their great years had revolving vets and Daly as well to do that. Rodman was also not the Dennis Rodman we knew a few years later with them.

I actually think Zeke is overrated. He is constantly rated a top 5 PG (like here), yet I can't possibly agree.

Magic
    Stockton
    Oscar

those are without question not even worth arguing.

Kidd
    Curry
    Paul
    Payton

What argument does he have over the above guys? Even Zeke's 2 chips, he was a subpar scorer efficiency wise, he wasn't even remotely the reason his team was awesome defensively, and if we are going to start evaluating players on the regular equations, he has literally 1 award worth mentioning (Finals MVP), and a few all NBA teams. Like, I get we like to value the will to win, and all that. But he wasn't the best PG of his era, not even the 2nd best, and I just can't fathom why people rate the guy so high.
    Zeke sold guys on a style of play, made them evil and then led them to victory. Bill Laimbeer wasn't an ******* before he teamed up with Zeke and neither was Rodman. Bill Laimbeer wasn't even that good of a basketball player but Zeke found a way to make him effective. Daly had a big part in it too but Daly and Zeke were basically a match made in heaven or in this case, hell.

I don't understand the love for Oscar Robertson now when we have Russell Westbrook averaging triple doubles in present day. Granted Oscar had better percentages but it wasn't like he dominated for over a decade or won a bunch of rings.

Magic is at the top and it's a battle between Zeke and Stock for 2nd. Stockton is one of my all time favs because not only was he insanely talented but he looked so innocent while he was a little **** every second he was on the floor. He's basically the mould for what I look for in a PG. No forced shots, doesn't rush anything and executes plays to perfection all while contributing on D. He just didn't have enough to win it all and that's what Zeke had. It's not like Stock lacked supporting casts either. Even when he and Malone were past their primes, those teams with Hornacek and Russell were still solid.

Logo
    Big-O
    Glove
    CP3
    Steph

No particular order for the rest. Arguments can be made for West or Oscar to be in the top 3 as well. When Steph is all said and done he could be near the top too.
    Quote Originally Posted by ChongInc. View Post
    Facts can be hypothetical.

Zeke beat Magic, Bird and Jordan at their peak (ok, maybe not Bird) has 2 rings without a teammate that cracked the top 50 players ever at the time (or now) and took one of the best Lakers teams of all time to 7 games in the final, barely losing by 3 points in the final game.

Isn't that the kind of rhetoric that people here love! In fact, it beats anything ever achieved by Lebron, Curry or Durant yet those seems locks for some people in the top 15 ever or best of top 3 players at their position.

wao...verry good

Zeke was better than Stockton. Didn't see Oscar, but in terms of 1980s to now, Zeke is #3 to Magic after Curry.

Underrated by the general public but properly rated by diehard fans. This thread shows the respect he still has as a player.

Kristaps Porzingis
    Stronger than most 15 year old girls.