Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by NBA all the way View Post
    What has he accomplished in the NBA?
    What has anyone accomplished in the NBA until they are there? So because Blatt "failed" (I certainly wouldn't call it a failure, more than LeBron being a total douche bag) this guy can't possibly succeed? If Popovic had started coaching in that exact same situation you'd have never heard of him but he instead got to start out coaching TD and David Robinson. Let's not judge every foreign coaches future based on the one guy who had to try and coach one of the biggest divas in NBA history.
    Last edited by JAZZNC; 07-20-2020 at 10:19 AM.

Rippin' lips son!!

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZNC View Post
    What has anyone accomplished in the NBA until they are there? So because Blatt "failed" (I certainly wouldn't call it a failure, more than LeBron being a total douche bag) this guy can't possibly succeed? If Popovic had started coaching in that exact same situation you'd have never heard of him but he instead got to start out coaching TD and David Robinson. Let's not judge every foreign coaches future based on the one guy who had to try and coach one of the biggest divas in NBA history.
    I think that post was more in response to the subject that declared him the best coach in the world as a fact.

Quote Originally Posted by mouseslept View Post
    Hang on a min, he has 0 losses too! Googled "Popovic talks about Obradovic" and came up with this (it's in the Serbian national team's Fb page and on Utube), watch it, it's very interesting hearing Popovic saying "Honestly, I steal from him all the time" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oY12cFjrHjU (the interview was in Serbia).
    haha, touche dude.

Look, wish him well. I am only saying, until you do it in the NBA, you aren't the best anything in the world when it comes to basketball. Does he need Phil Jackson success? Of course not. But he needs to succeed in the toughest league in the world.

If you want the ultimate, you've got to be willing to pay the ultimate price. It's not tragic to die doing what you love.

Quote Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
    I'm always for good coaching, but a lot of good coaches have been run out by entitled players who don't fit what they need.
    Yep. And many of them simply just don't like the player run league. In Europe, things are just different, it is more a more traditional role, the coach.

If you want the ultimate, you've got to be willing to pay the ultimate price. It's not tragic to die doing what you love.

Quote Originally Posted by KnicksorBust View Post
    This x100000.

You want to say he is a genius coach and the greatest Euro coach. I'm down with it. I saw the resume. It speaks for itself. To be THAT successful with so many different teams proves he is an incredible motivator and knows the x's and o's as good as anyone over there. But Hawk is completely right here. To me that is why ranking Wooden on an all-time coaching list is also so difficult. That's why most lists tend to rank them within their league.
    would you include Pat Summit in the Wooden conversation?

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye15 View Post
    Yep. And many of them simply just don't like the player run league. In Europe, things are just different, it is more a more traditional role, the coach.
    It's what differed Pops from the other NBA coaches though, ain't it?

Having been mentored by the best in Europe, he brought that different coaching culture in the NBA and other than winning, he established himself as "the best coach in the league". If one thinks about it, the ones he mentored in his turn, those that he hired to assist him, are now also established coaches and this has lead to basketball tactics convergence worldwide as well as has multiplied the players coming from overseas in the league.

Having been mentored by the best in Europe, he brought that different coaching culture in the NBA and other than winning, he established himself as "the best coach in the league". If one thinks about it, the ones he mentored in his turn, those that he hired to assist him, are now also established coaches and this has lead to basketball tactics convergence worldwide as well as has multiplied the players coming from overseas in the league.
    Pop wasn't the first in the NBA to coach that way, and players coming from outside the US had been climbing steadily before Pop too. As the NBA marketing pushed itself to the world naturally world players started coming more and more.

Pop without getting some very specific players who already had a specific team first mentality, and without the GM/Owner who all pulling in the same direction, Pop's reputation would still be good, but it wouldn't be what it is.

Pop's genius is personal rather than tactical. He got the best people, empowered them, and got them to work together at a high level for decades, and after all that stress they all still love him.

Kerr has some of it, but he's not quite as good at working with people as Pop is ... none of Pop's tree have it the same as he does.

I think that post was more in response to the subject that declared him the best coach in the world as a fact.
    Precisely.

Quote Originally Posted by NBA all the way View Post
    Precisely.
    I can certainly agree with that.

Rippin' lips son!!

Pops took over a team already built to win in the mid 90s. It's already a different game now, when it comes to player control, etc.

Pops took over a team already built to win in the mid 90s. It's already a different game now, when it comes to player control, etc.
    Pop took over a team at the perfect moment to tank for talent and set himself up for a great launch to his head coaching career.

Don't think that Obradovic hasn't had offers from NBA teams which he has rejected.

He has said on interview "I don't speak with managers, I only speak with owners and I have the first and the last word on the players I want on the team I'm coaching".

This means that he won't accept "just coaching" but only if it is "coaching and president of basketball operations", partly the reason why I believe that if he will ever come in the NBA, it will be to take the Spurs and will be suggested by (his friend and "student") coach Pops himself.
    That's fine that he declined those offers. More power to him. Reminds me of Coach K staying with Duke. However, and we might just have to agree to disagree, but the "best" at a sport must win at the highest level and unfortunately he hasn't done that. But like I said I'm fully with best European coach ever.

would you include Pat Summit in the Wooden conversation?
    Definitely.

Pop took over a team at the perfect moment to tank for talent and set himself up for a great launch to his head coaching career.
    Seems like a dig but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. Do you give him credit for winning in multiple eras with multiple rosters or does Duncan's legacy diminish Pop's somewhat for you?

Kristaps Porzingis
    Stronger than most 15 year old girls.

Quote Originally Posted by KnicksorBust View Post
    Seems like a dig but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. Do you give him credit for winning in multiple eras with multiple rosters or does Duncan's legacy diminish Pop's somewhat for you?
    Not a dig at all, I'm a big fan of Pop. He took over in the middle of a season when they were losing horribly and the Admiral was hurt. Pop continued losing a lot that year, drafted Duncan and then maintained a .610 or better record for 20 years. No question he's a great coach. The point was he did step into a special situation, then made the most of it.

Remember when Nick Saban sucked so badly with the Dolphins that he left after two years?

Or when David Blatt lost the Cavs' respect in under two years?

This is why you can't go anointing people who haven't done it at the highest level. If you've never coached in the NBA you cannot be the greatest coach in the world. Period. End of story. You are wrong if suggest otherwise, not necessarily because this guy isn't a great coach, but because it's insulting to those who have done it at the highest level to anoint someone who hasn't. Nick Nurse is the best coach in the NBA. I think we all recognized that pretty quickly. But no matter how well you knew him or his ideas about the game, saying that before he'd ever been a head coach in the NBA would have been wrong.
    POOP

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123