Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 44
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Posts
    280

    The worlds best coach retires from his position in Fenerbahce, will come to the NBA?

    Jeliko Obradovic, the mentor of Greg Popovic, winner of 11 European championships with several teams and winner of the world cup when coaching the Serbian team in Atlanta and the Olympics gold metal a season later, has retired coaching Fenerbahce after many years accompanied by huge success.

    His decision coincides with the highly rumoured retirement of Greg Popovic from the Spurs wheel.

    Obradovic is coach Pop's mentor and very close friend, despite being 17 years younger and he would surely be Pop's suggestion to captain the Spurs ship.

    Jeliko only lacks an NBA title from his full of titles "portafolio", all facts suggest that he will be in the NBA next season.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    33,460
    Whether Pop likes him or not, he can't be called the best coach over Pop until he does it in the NBA for a LONG time.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    GMT +2
    Posts
    13,848
    Quote Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
    Whether Pop likes him or not, he can't be called the best coach over Pop until he does it in the NBA for a LONG time.
    Pop cannot hold a candle against Obradovic. He's by far the greatest of all time.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Posts
    280
    Quote Originally Posted by NYKalltheway View Post
    Pop cannot hold a candle against Obradovic. He's by far the greatest of all time.
    it's what Pop himself would say too.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Mile High
    Posts
    17,293
    I think Becky Hammon takes over whenever Pop decides to hang it up
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
    <><><><><><><>
    <><><><>

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    2,576
    Never heard of him but sounds a lot like David Blatt. Zero NCAA or NBA experience as a player or coach. It's an entire different style and culture.

    It's like thinking good rugby players translate to being a good NFL player or a good cricket player translates to being a good MLB player. The NBA is the best of the best talent and its a star driven league, great coach is pointless if DeRozan wants to iso and shoot vast majority 2 pointers, same for LMA just wanting to shot fade aways outta the post.

    If he even came over, he would find out its not coach over players over here, as it is over there.

    Best thing he can do for himself and all involved is try to get a front of the bench assistant coach role, if not a behind the bench assistant coach role, at least. Learn the culture and the rule differences, just earn his stripes. He could maybe try a front office gig but Blatt failed at that too, won't earn you as much respect and much harder to learn on the job. Might sound outlandish but even go be apart of a G-League coaching staff or something.

    If he's not willing to do any of that, he should just not even make the jump across the pond. Save himself the headache, unless he just wants to make some quick money and fizzle out real quick.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Posts
    280
    What you say, it now applies to the NBA only to the teams which are not coached by Pop or the coaches he has mentored...

    Pop brought Obradovic's coaching tactics to the NBA and it's partly the reason for his success. There is no way the Spurs will decide on a move without Pop's approval and the same happens with the Bucks or any other team which is coached by an ex-Pop assistant.

    If Obradovic would come to the NBA, I would expect two things to happen, first, the team will become a contender within a season, two, there will be many players asking to be traded and join Obradovic (both Bogdanovic, Bjelica, Vucevic, Dragic, Gasol, Gallinari to say the least) and even Giannis would be willing to jump ship.

    There are of course players who would noway work with Jeljko, but this goes vice-versa because he wouldn't want to work with them either (Bron, Kawahi, AD etc.). You'll be surprised when you find out how much Obradovic has already changed the game worldwide the NBA included, practically all the best coaches who are capable of decoding and understand his tactics, are all copying him.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    GMT +2
    Posts
    13,848
    Where are you from mouseslept?


    I am one of the few lucky people on this website to have experienced first hand Zeljko Obradovic for 13 years at the helm of my team, reshaping the club and basketball itself in the meantime. Some people feel bigger than the sport and this is one of those guys. In the 90s we've had special star players, in the 2000s we had Zeljko.

    When he was asked about the NBA he wasn't really into it because of how soft it is and how trigger happy the refs are when the coach is...well, coaching! He got expelled on some exhibition games back in the mid 2000s and he's been hating on it ever since. He appears to have changed his mind somehow, maybe due to Ettore Messina and David Blatt who are friends of his possibly have discussed things about it, maybe Popovich, too.

    Wouldn't call him Pop's mentor, but he definitely inspired him. Maybe Ivkovic qualifies as a distant mentor of a sort, but I don't see the same basketball philosophy. With Pop and Zoc, it feels similar, but it also feels like a bad copycat system.

    I also noted how guys like Steve Kerr who had the luck of being coached by both Phil Jackson and Gregg Popovich is showing that his main influence is Popovich. I think it's been widely accepted nowadays that Kerr doesn't run plays that Jackson did, while the whole system is based on how Popovich was playing. Which itself was a NBA version of what Obradovic was playing.

    I think it will be hard for him to adapt in the NBA, not because he cannot, but because the players aren't used to this kind of coaching and he's not used to this kind of soft regimes. If he had someone like Doncic or Giannis on his team, that other players respected for example, it would make the transition very smooth and any bad apples could be thrown away swiftly. But he's too "vulgar" for the NBA and he's probably going to be a hate figure for the sissy players that run this league.

    Just look at this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sayf72DSwPQ

    Especially funny is when he personally goes: "**** you, Gigi Datome"

    That was from November. This week:
    https://www.instagram.com/p/CB06uG8l6za/
    What a journey! Proud to have been one of your players these years. For me, growing up also watching Pana’s best years, to have played at that level and have won 9 trophies together made everything even sweeter.
    I’m grateful for every day we spent together, from the “**** YOU” timeout to the euroleague trophy. “Trophies bring dust, memories last forever”. Hvala Zeljko!
    Imagine a coach telling Lebron or Durant or even some obscure player "**** you" on live television during a time out. Most would never forgive him.

    He's such a pleasure of a man to be around
    You won't realize it from this though: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGCEVGcTnJA
    Last edited by NYKalltheway; 06-28-2020 at 09:05 AM.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    2,576
    Quote Originally Posted by NYKalltheway View Post
    Where are you from mouseslept?


    I am one of the few lucky people on this website to have experienced first hand Zeljko Obradovic for 13 years at the helm of my team, reshaping the club and basketball itself in the meantime. Some people feel bigger than the sport and this is one of those guys. In the 90s we've had special star players, in the 2000s we had Zeljko.

    When he was asked about the NBA he wasn't really into it because of how soft it is and how trigger happy the refs are when the coach is...well, coaching! He got expelled on some exhibition games back in the mid 2000s and he's been hating on it ever since. He appears to have changed his mind somehow, maybe due to Ettore Messina and David Blatt who are friends of his possibly have discussed things about it, maybe Popovich, too.

    Wouldn't call him Pop's mentor, but he definitely inspired him. Maybe Ivkovic qualifies as a distant mentor of a sort, but I don't see the same basketball philosophy. With Pop and Zoc, it feels similar, but it also feels like a bad copycat system.

    I also noted how guys like Steve Kerr who had the luck of being coached by both Phil Jackson and Gregg Popovich is showing that his main influence is Popovich. I think it's been widely accepted nowadays that Kerr doesn't run plays that Jackson did, while the whole system is based on how Popovich was playing. Which itself was a NBA version of what Obradovic was playing.

    I think it will be hard for him to adapt in the NBA, not because he cannot, but because the players aren't used to this kind of coaching and he's not used to this kind of soft regimes. If he had someone like Doncic or Giannis on his team, that other players respected for example, it would make the transition very smooth and any bad apples could be thrown away swiftly. But he's too "vulgar" for the NBA and he's probably going to be a hate figure for the sissy players that run this league.

    Just look at this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sayf72DSwPQ

    Especially funny is when he personally goes: "**** you, Gigi Datome"

    That was from November. This week:
    https://www.instagram.com/p/CB06uG8l6za/


    Imagine a coach telling Lebron or Durant or even some obscure player "**** you" on live television during a time out. Most would never forgive him.

    He's such a pleasure of a man to be around
    You won't realize it from this though: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGCEVGcTnJA
    He would have a better shot in the NCAA then, where it still is mostly coach over player. But I agree with you, no matter how great of a coach x's and o's wise he is, guys aren't going to buy into him, he hasn't accomplished anything in the United States, on any level. Then you have players who have been told they're the man since they were young in the AAU circuit, up through high school, college and into the pros. That ego is too inflated and almost all the guys make more money than the coaches. Fans go to NBA games for players, not coaches.

    Blatt is exhibit A on the bench of how its a cute fantasy idea but doesn't translate and Blatt is exhibit B of how it doesn't translate in the front office.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Posts
    280
    Quote Originally Posted by NYKalltheway View Post
    Where are you from mouseslept?


    I am one of the few lucky people on this website to have experienced first hand Zeljko Obradovic for 13 years at the helm of my team, reshaping the club and basketball itself in the meantime. Some people feel bigger than the sport and this is one of those guys. In the 90s we've had special star players, in the 2000s we had Zeljko.

    When he was asked about the NBA he wasn't really into it because of how soft it is and how trigger happy the refs are when the coach is...well, coaching! He got expelled on some exhibition games back in the mid 2000s and he's been hating on it ever since. He appears to have changed his mind somehow, maybe due to Ettore Messina and David Blatt who are friends of his possibly have discussed things about it, maybe Popovich, too.

    Wouldn't call him Pop's mentor, but he definitely inspired him. Maybe Ivkovic qualifies as a distant mentor of a sort, but I don't see the same basketball philosophy. With Pop and Zoc, it feels similar, but it also feels like a bad copycat system.

    I also noted how guys like Steve Kerr who had the luck of being coached by both Phil Jackson and Gregg Popovich is showing that his main influence is Popovich. I think it's been widely accepted nowadays that Kerr doesn't run plays that Jackson did, while the whole system is based on how Popovich was playing. Which itself was a NBA version of what Obradovic was playing.

    I think it will be hard for him to adapt in the NBA, not because he cannot, but because the players aren't used to this kind of coaching and he's not used to this kind of soft regimes. If he had someone like Doncic or Giannis on his team, that other players respected for example, it would make the transition very smooth and any bad apples could be thrown away swiftly. But he's too "vulgar" for the NBA and he's probably going to be a hate figure for the sissy players that run this league.

    Just look at this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sayf72DSwPQ

    Especially funny is when he personally goes: "**** you, Gigi Datome"

    That was from November. This week:
    https://www.instagram.com/p/CB06uG8l6za/


    Imagine a coach telling Lebron or Durant or even some obscure player "**** you" on live television during a time out. Most would never forgive him.

    He's such a pleasure of a man to be around
    You won't realize it from this though: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGCEVGcTnJA
    Pops was an officer of the US airforce who was addressed to serve in "Eastern European affairs" in Eastern European Embassies by the US ministry of defence.

    He approached Ivkovic when visiting what at the days was Yugoslavia which also was his parents country of origin. He developed a good friendship relation with Dusan Ivkovic who in his turn indroduced him to Jeljko with who Ivkovic has a like brothers relationship with and was his best man on his wedding.

    Ever since, Popovic visits Serbia regularly and handles events with Obradovic there training young talents to the secrets of the game.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    2,576
    Quote Originally Posted by mouseslept View Post
    If Obradovic would come to the NBA, I would expect two things to happen, first, the team will become a contender within a season, two, there will be many players asking to be traded and join Obradovic (both Bogdanovic, Bjelica, Vucevic, Dragic, Gasol, Gallinarito say the least) and even Giannis would be willing to jump ship.
    Not really how the NBA works but even if he did, that squad would get smacked in the mouth by the likes of the Lakers, Clippers, Warriors and Rockets.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    33,460
    Quote Originally Posted by NYKalltheway View Post
    Where are you from mouseslept?


    I am one of the few lucky people on this website to have experienced first hand Zeljko Obradovic for 13 years at the helm of my team, reshaping the club and basketball itself in the meantime. Some people feel bigger than the sport and this is one of those guys. In the 90s we've had special star players, in the 2000s we had Zeljko.

    When he was asked about the NBA he wasn't really into it because of how soft it is and how trigger happy the refs are when the coach is...well, coaching! He got expelled on some exhibition games back in the mid 2000s and he's been hating on it ever since. He appears to have changed his mind somehow, maybe due to Ettore Messina and David Blatt who are friends of his possibly have discussed things about it, maybe Popovich, too.

    Wouldn't call him Pop's mentor, but he definitely inspired him. Maybe Ivkovic qualifies as a distant mentor of a sort, but I don't see the same basketball philosophy. With Pop and Zoc, it feels similar, but it also feels like a bad copycat system.

    I also noted how guys like Steve Kerr who had the luck of being coached by both Phil Jackson and Gregg Popovich is showing that his main influence is Popovich. I think it's been widely accepted nowadays that Kerr doesn't run plays that Jackson did, while the whole system is based on how Popovich was playing. Which itself was a NBA version of what Obradovic was playing.

    I think it will be hard for him to adapt in the NBA, not because he cannot, but because the players aren't used to this kind of coaching and he's not used to this kind of soft regimes. If he had someone like Doncic or Giannis on his team, that other players respected for example, it would make the transition very smooth and any bad apples could be thrown away swiftly. But he's too "vulgar" for the NBA and he's probably going to be a hate figure for the sissy players that run this league.

    Just look at this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sayf72DSwPQ

    Especially funny is when he personally goes: "**** you, Gigi Datome"

    That was from November. This week:
    https://www.instagram.com/p/CB06uG8l6za/


    Imagine a coach telling Lebron or Durant or even some obscure player "**** you" on live television during a time out. Most would never forgive him.

    He's such a pleasure of a man to be around
    You won't realize it from this though: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGCEVGcTnJA
    There are actually triple post offense plays in Kerr's system for the Warriors, but they way they get into them is completely Pop. But the motions side to side and up top that they flow through include plays straight from Tex Winters. The best coaches steal from everyone as well as innovating for themselves. Pop was also influenced by Don Nelson on the motion offense. If anything bugs me about Kerr it's that he will dismiss high percentage plays in favor of a lower percentage play that includes more player and ball movement, and that's all well and good but down the stretch sometimes you just need to let your best players take over and win the game. Kerr also, because he focuses so much on movement, is very hard on young players who can't read where all the other players are and where the ball is enough to know where they should be going themselves and where the ball should go in the middle of the flow of the offense quickly enough for him. Younger players are also more likely to stop moving which drives Kerr nuts. Okay, enough about Kerr.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Posts
    280
    Quote Originally Posted by NBA all the way View Post
    Not really how the NBA works but even if he did, that squad would get smacked in the mouth by the likes of the Lakers, Clippers, Warriors and Rockets.
    I don't think so... No squad with Obradovic coaching it, is easy to get smacked in the face.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    2,576
    Quote Originally Posted by mouseslept View Post
    I don't think so... No squad with Obradovic coaching it, is easy to get smacked in the face.
    What has he accomplished in the NBA?

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Posts
    280
    Quote Originally Posted by NBA all the way View Post
    What has he accomplished in the NBA?
    He has accomplished much more than that... He has taught all coaches in the world how to crash the "dream team" and started it all!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •