Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





View Poll Results: Who is the G.O.A.T at their absolute peak?

Voters
7. You may not vote on this poll
  • LeBron James

    3 42.86%
  • Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

    2 28.57%
  • Shaquille O'Neal

    0 0%
  • Wilt Chamberlain

    1 14.29%
  • Larry Bird

    1 14.29%
  • Magic Johnson

    0 0%
  • Tim Duncan

    0 0%
  • Kobe Bryant

    0 0%
  • Hakeem Olajuwon

    0 0%
  • Moses Malone

    0 0%
  • Bill Russell

    0 0%
  • Stephen Curry

    0 0%
  • Kevin Durant

    0 0%
  • Dr. J

    0 0%
  • Bill Walton

    0 0%
  • Oscar Robertson

    0 0%
  • James Harden

    0 0%
  • Charles Barkley

    0 0%
  • David Robinson

    0 0%
  • Giannis Antetokounmpo

    0 0%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 32
  1. #16
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    27,507
    Quote Originally Posted by mngopher35 View Post
    I would probably add Bird myself and maybe even Duncan to your list. It's hard to say where you stop considering guys here lol.

    I have Lebron/KAJ 2/3 all time and honestly they might be 2/3 in my peak rating too. Shaq/Wilt and those above are probably the guys I think about most besides them though here. I didn't get to see very much of Wilt or Russell at all tbh so they are much tougher for me ranking and given we have so much less to go on outside of eye test too (so I can't make up for not seeing it almost at all in reality with say tracking and video or video breakdowns and so on just basic stuff usually) it makes it really difficult to compare.
    I love Duncan but I think he does better in a career comparison instead of a peak comparison. H2h I think there are a lot of people that would take Shaq/Kaj/Wilt and even Hakeem at his peak. MJ / Bron / Magic / Bird all have a case too. He COULD drop about 5 spots in a switch from career to peak.


    Kristaps Porzingis
    Stronger than most 15 year old girls.

  2. #17
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    27,507
    Quote Originally Posted by goingfor28 View Post
    I'm voting based on "I need to win 1 game and I get any player in their prime."

    That's how I interpreted the thread.
    That's the idea.


    Kristaps Porzingis
    Stronger than most 15 year old girls.

  3. #18
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    27,507
    Quote Originally Posted by Chronz View Post
    I wish I could go in depth right now. still shocked number 1 passed without my input. these arguments do better when u start comparing and debating choices but because this world is making us choose our time wisely I'm just gonna say 68 Wilt. factors that matter, individual impact (played damn near the entire game) , team success (considered the greatest team despite the celtics dynasty for a really long time) and level of competition (crushed the Cs) and level of play (wilt dropped a quad dub in the finals and averaged a trip dub for a series). might have to recheck those stats but he went full beast mode. the problem with wilt in AT ranks is that he got bored. he didn't play the same way every year, he was always testing the limits of his abilities, which is why he went from leading the L in scoring, to being the only C to lead the league in assists

    I get the era arguments (tho they were becoming less valid by the late 60s). but this level of peak dominance can't be matched. i also don't think peak is about 1 season because ur peak run exposes ur flaws as well, we just didnt get to see them one particular year.
    I agree. I think he and Duncan each flip 5 spots in peak vs. career rankings but they go in opposite directions. Duncan loses spots and Wilt climbs. Still would take KAJ but I love Wilt in a peak ranking.
    Last edited by KnicksorBust; 06-28-2020 at 07:54 PM.


    Kristaps Porzingis
    Stronger than most 15 year old girls.

  4. #19
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    27,507
    Quote Originally Posted by ewing View Post
    Russell


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    not trolling just curious why?


    Kristaps Porzingis
    Stronger than most 15 year old girls.

  5. #20
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    27,507
    Quote Originally Posted by blams View Post
    LeBron.

    Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by More-Than-Most View Post
    its lebron pretty easily
    Yet he only has 1 vote...


    Kristaps Porzingis
    Stronger than most 15 year old girls.

  6. #21
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    10,392
    Quote Originally Posted by KnicksorBust View Post
    I love Duncan but I think he does better in a career comparison instead of a peak comparison. H2h I think there are a lot of people that would take Shaq/Kaj/Wilt and even Hakeem at his peak. MJ / Bron / Magic / Bird all have a case too. He COULD drop about 5 spots in a switch from career to peak.
    I dunno, you look at like 03 when Spurs beat Kobe/Shaq and Shaq was still quite dominant. Duncan better defense at a level seperating him from Shaq and while not as dominant in shifting defenses was more of a playmaker (5 apg in playoffs). He had 28/5/12 basically in the Lakers series that year while playing very efficiently and Parker/Manu just starting while Drob much older (this isn't quite like having Kobe). If you care about advanced stats WS/48 and BPM in 03 playoffs were greater than Shaq in playoffs 00-02.

    He might end up lower than all time sure but it isn't like he wasn't also dominant at one point just because of all those years he was very good. Duncan has a nice edge defensively while being an amazing #1 option even if not peak Shaq level on that end.
    Last edited by mngopher35; 06-28-2020 at 06:46 PM.

  7. #22
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    10,392
    Quote Originally Posted by KnicksorBust View Post
    Yet he only has 1 vote...
    You aren't counting the posts that vote? Just curious cause if on my phone I would do that...

  8. #23
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    36,597
    Quote Originally Posted by KnicksorBust View Post
    Yet he only has 1 vote...
    If you're going off a poll, I don't see polls on Tapatalk.

  9. #24
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    27,507
    Quote Originally Posted by mngopher35 View Post
    I dunno, you look at like 03 when Spurs beat Kobe/Shaq and Shaq was still quite dominant. Duncan better defense at a level seperating him from Shaq and while not as dominant in shifting defenses was more of a playmaker (5 apg in playoffs). He had 28/5/12 basically in the Lakers series that year while playing very efficiently and Parker/Manu just starting while Drob much older (this isn't quite like having Kobe). If you care about advanced stats WS/48 and BPM in 03 playoffs were greater than Shaq in playoffs 00-02.

    He might end up lower than all time sure but it isn't like he wasn't also dominant at one point just because of all those years he was very good. Duncan has a nice edge defensively while being an amazing #1 option even if not peak Shaq level on that end.
    I think Bill Diversity Simmons waxed poetic about the series in The Book of Basketball. He went off in the game clincher true but he doesn't have that dominant legacy of a Wilt or Shaq. I think it's so interesting that only averaged over 24ppg ONCE in his entire career.


    Kristaps Porzingis
    Stronger than most 15 year old girls.

  10. #25
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    27,507
    Quote Originally Posted by mngopher35 View Post
    You aren't counting the posts that vote? Just curious cause if on my phone I would do that...
    Quote Originally Posted by goingfor28 View Post
    If you're going off a poll, I don't see polls on Tapatalk.
    Good call fellas. I will definitely use posts in the thread as votes.


    Kristaps Porzingis
    Stronger than most 15 year old girls.

  11. #26
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    5,526
    At his absolute peak, I saw LeBron take on the Lineup of Death and win. Say what you want about Kareem or Wilt, but they never had the type of competition LeBron has faced. Both were both awesome, but they faced athletically inferior competition. NBA players are running around more during a game now than ever.

  12. #27
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    GMT +2
    Posts
    13,848
    When exactly is LeBron's peak?

  13. #28
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    27,507
    Quote Originally Posted by mrblisterdundee View Post
    At his absolute peak, I saw LeBron take on the Lineup of Death and win. Say what you want about Kareem or Wilt, but they never had the type of competition LeBron has faced. Both were both awesome, but they faced athletically inferior competition. NBA players are running around more during a game now than ever.
    Wilt defeated against the greatest dynasty in basketball history?


    Kristaps Porzingis
    Stronger than most 15 year old girls.

  14. #29
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    27,507
    Quote Originally Posted by NYKalltheway View Post
    When exactly is LeBron's peak?
    Great question. My mind always jumps to his 2nd/3rd seasons in Miami. He was 28/29 years old. Still athletically at his peak. Elevated his shooting efficiency to 56%fg / 40% 3pt while still doing all the other superhuman things he does on the court. LeBron + 3pt shot = game hacked.

    You could make a good case for his second season in Cleveland (after returning) as well.

    His most amazing to me? Probably this one! I can't believe what he has been doing on the Lakers this year at his age. He's truly one of the greatest ever.


    Kristaps Porzingis
    Stronger than most 15 year old girls.

  15. #30
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    10,392
    Quote Originally Posted by KnicksorBust View Post
    I think Bill Diversity Simmons waxed poetic about the series in The Book of Basketball. He went off in the game clincher true but he doesn't have that dominant legacy of a Wilt or Shaq. I think it's so interesting that only averaged over 24ppg ONCE in his entire career.
    Well aren't we basing this on peak so we can get that scoring version of him? I think Duncan is the ultimate team playing big man so as he got more talent he did less offensively. 2002 to 2003 the team got a little better and his efficiency and so on improved come playoffs but even that season he averaged 25 ppg he ended on 29/17/5 against the lakers that year (following year they won with Manu added and Parker a year in now) and he was an elite defensive anchor on top of what he showed these couple years.

    I think part of the reason he isn't seen like Shaq or Wilt is because he did this all without dominating physically in the same manner. Big fundamental if you will. I mean he isn't the same scorer as them dominating with physicality so teams don't have to play the same way either that's true but his impact was still insane as he could dominate as the focal point of the offense while being that elite defensive anchor on the other end a Shaq couldn't match either.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •