Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: D.c.

Quote Originally Posted by Sluggo1 View Post
    Giving DC statehood would make it a one city state with a governor, mayor, representative and two senators. Seems a little silly.
    How silly? Any sillier than someone living in Laramie, Wyoming? Burlington, Vermont? Anchorage, Alaska?

It also sets a terrible precedent. Make NYC a state. Then Chicago and LA. Break up California and Texas.
    As insignificant as their votes may be, at least folks in these cities do get to vote for their governors, representatives, and senators.

And don't forget PR.
    Different kettle of fish, if only for the current tax laws.

That's 10-12 new dem senators…and that's the real reason to make DC a state. It is so transparent, it is laughable. If DC was even 50/50 republican, you would not be hearing this movement. If DC wants representation, let them become part of Maryland or Virginia. That would be a lot simpler to do.
    Let’s not get melodramatic. We are talking two new US senators and one representative, and yes, of course at this point they’d be democrats. So what?

Quote Originally Posted by Crovash View Post
    How silly? Any sillier than someone living in Laramie, Wyoming? Burlington, Vermont? Anchorage, Alaska?

As insignificant as their votes may be, at least folks in these cities do get to vote for their governors, representatives, and senators.

Let’s not get melodramatic. We are talking two new US senators and one representative, and yes, of course at this point they’d be democrats. So what?
    Well, it would be 'sillier' in the respect they'd be the only city that would no longer need a mayor...since I'd presume they'd have a governor instead (why have both)....and would be the only city guaranteed two senators. I'd definitely agree that Puerto Rico is an entirely different discussion.

At this point, we should just **** can Dems and Reps and change to Progressives and Conservatives or something. Did you know our first two party system was the Federalists and the Democratic-Republican parties? lol
    gotta love 'referential' treatment

Bold 1…theses are cities. not states.

Bold 2…Just cut PR loose. Simple. Who needs them.

Bold 3…This is the entire point of the whole thing. If the dems had a significant edge in the senate, you wouldn't hear a peep out of them about making DC a state. It's not like they actually care about the people there. They smell two more senators. Soon, they'll try to pack the SC. There is nothing constitutionally to stop them if they have the right majorities.

If the Washingtonians want better representation, let them become part of Maryland. No one could argue this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Sick Of It All View Post
    And then let’s merge South and North Dakota since they have like 4 people that live there.
    Let’s merge Virginia and West Virginia as well. **** it, let’s make one big Carolina too.

We can give Alaska to the Canadians or Russians, Hawaii back to the natives, Puerto Rico can claim independence, trade Guam to North Korea for nuclear launch codes, flood the rest of Louisiana to create the worlds biggest 6 flags, and most importantly (and I can’t stress this enough) we annex Florida and slowly push it away from the mainland.
    If Trump can become president with no political background then I don't understand why I need a resumé

Quote Originally Posted by Zmaster52 View Post
    Let’s merge Virginia and West Virginia as well. **** it, let’s make one big Carolina too.

We can give Alaska to the Canadians or Russians, Hawaii back to the natives, Puerto Rico can claim independence, trade Guam to North Korea for nuclear launch codes, flood the rest of Louisiana to create the worlds biggest 6 flags, and most importantly (and I can’t stress this enough) we annex Florida and slowly push it away from the mainland.

That's not what "annex" means.

Giving DC statehood would make it a one city state with a governor, mayor, representative and two senators. Seems a little silly.

It also sets a terrible precedent. Make NYC a state. Then Chicago and LA. Break up California and Texas.And don't forget PR.

That's 10-12 new dem senators…and that's the real reason to make DC a state. It is so transparent, it is laughable. If DC was even 50/50 republican, you would not be hearing this movement. If DC wants representation, let them become part of Maryland or Virginia. That would be a lot simpler to do.
    I don’t think it’s really fair that Wyoming gets two senators but here we are.

Glad y'all took this thread and worked through how unrepresentative our "democracy" is.

Anyways. Back to pretending like we're the standard bearer for democracy.,
    HELLO

Quote Originally Posted by ManRam View Post
    Glad y'all took this thread and worked through how unrepresentative our "democracy" is.

I am a conservative and agree with you. Heck, if the Vatican can be considered a country, then why DC and Puerto Rico aren't states yet are beyond my understanding.

[/B]

That's not what "annex" means.
    I’m glad that’s the only problem you have with my plan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If Trump can become president with no political background then I don't understand why I need a resumé

I think it is funny that with all the ruckus about addressing the various symbols of slavery, the biggest symbols — the real elephants in the room — are the electoral college and the senate.

I think it is funny that with all the ruckus about addressing the various symbols of slavery, the biggest symbols — the real elephants in the room — are the electoral college and the senate.
    Term limits for reps and sens (and all politicians on local and state levels) plus a line item veto for the prez would solve most of our country's political issues.

Make reps term for 4 years and two term max. Sens get two term max. Former reps and sens cannot cross over to the other house once their terms are up.

Easy to implement and the people would be for it. It would take a constitutional amendment. I am not sure where the movement needs to start. I know that congress can start the initiative for an amendment but am nit sure if the states can start such an initiative on their own.

The US is a republic and not a democracy.

If you want a pure democracy where people get to vote on issues and majority rules………

How do you think the defund the police vote would go?

How about the Mississippi state flag vote…how would that go? And all the statues???

The US is a republic and not a democracy.
    Not to put too fine a point on it, but most sources I respect say something to the effect of “The United States, like most modern nations, is neither a pure republic nor a pure democracy. Instead, it is a hybrid democratic republic.”

https://www.thoughtco.com/republic-vs-democracy-4169936

Supported here: https://www.worldatlas.com/articles/...democracy.html

"The U.S. is a republic and not a democracy" is one of the most tired lies the right has produced over the years. That along with "guns don't kill people, people kill people". The U.S. is a democracy. A nation does not have to be a direct democracy or a pure democracy to be a democracy. Republics are usually democracies.
    "The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who, in times of great moral crisis, maintain their neutrality.”

-JFK

Quote Originally Posted by Walter_White View Post
    "The U.S. is a republic and not a democracy" is one of the most tired lies the right has produced over the years. That along with "guns don't kill people, people kill people". The U.S. is a democracy. A nation does not have to be a direct democracy or a pure democracy to be a democracy. Republics are usually democracies.
    re·pub·lic | rəˈpəblik |
    noun
    a state in which supreme power is held by the people and their elected representatives, and which has an elected or nominated president rather than a monarch.

Sure sounds like the US to me.

We elect people to vote on our behalf since the typical citizen isn't knowledgeable enough on most governing topics.

e.g. how may citizens could intelligently vote on taxation, trade, immigration, the next gen fighter plane etc.. Every now and then total idiots get in (see "The Squad") but we have enough congressionals as a whole to offset the morons (at least for now.),.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast