Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 24 of 33 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 ... LastLast
    I believe you can look at ATL’s overall inactivity this deadline and find a few different explanations.

1) Liberty Media Sucks
    This idea hinges on the fact that LM is struggling in its own ways financially and they do not want to put any extra $$ into the team. If this is true, ATL will be financially handicapped for a few years, so get use to it.

I don’t buy this one too much as AA was talking to teams about Clevinger, Lynn, Seager, and more. Even if long term money was a concern, guys on one year deals - like Minor or Walker - could have been options.

2) Wrench is Wright
    This theory hinges on the idea that AA is not worried about winning right now and is “staying the course”. He is keeping all top prospects and is unwilling to deal any that may become worthwhile in ATL. He is also protecting the depth of the farm for future success.

There is reason to believe this is true. ATL has not traded any top prospects since AA came to town. If this is what is happening, I take a few issues with not letting guys like Touki get a steady chance instead of a few starts at a time with an incredibly short leash. If ATL is committed to developing the youngsters, you have to give them a spot when they have outgrown the minors. Riley would be another example of this. Give him a spot and see what happens.

3) ATL doesn’t have the piece to play.
    This idea is based on the premise that the ATL farm system isn’t what is use to be - in part because it has graduated so many guys and in part because of Coppy & Co.

The ATL farm is certainly diminished due to both of those reasons. It also seems like as players graduate to the ML and produce, the team needs to transition into win-now mode. ATL still has pieces to deal now to try and win now, but it could certainly hurt the long term outlook. Or maybe the potential trade partner didn’t like ATL’s pieces enough. This theory has some legs.

4) AA can’t pull the trigger.
    The guy is gun-shy...or so some believe. You can point to rebuilding the pen last year as proof against this idea, but others will point to all the one-year FA deals and inability to make a big trade to go “all-in”. AA has really committed to two guys - Acuna and Albies. Those deals were sweet - and obvious.

This one may have some traction, but we can’t really ever know. AA will always say “the price was too high” or “player X isn’t going anywhere” or “we like our club” and we don’t know what is really going on in his head or behind the scenes. We will never know if it is because of one of the above reasons or for this reason.

I am not sure which theory I believe, to be honest. I am disappointed not that AA didn’t get rental guys for this year - I feel like this year is chaotic and no good prospect was worth dealing for a rental right now. I do, however, think the right player is worth investing in now. To be honest, winning one WS in the next 3-4 years would be totally worth the investments in the “now”. I felt like some players like that were available this trade deadline. Adding Milone protected the prospects, but the move also added very little help to the club. It felt like making a move to say you made a move and nothing more. That is disappointing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by vikingsfan0845 View Post
    I'm fine with not giving up Waters + for Clevinger or Lynn. I can totally understand that. I'm having a much harder time with not getting somebody like Minor or Ray. Minor went for the A's 22nd prospect and an 11th round unranked prospect. Ray was traded for a 27 year old former rule 5 pick reliever who has a 7.84 ERA this year. I understand the struggles both have had this year but taking a chance on one of them for basically pennies is worth the risk. Minor, for example, looked to be turning a corner after shutting out the Dodgers during his last start. I'd much rather give the ball to Minor every 5 days as opposed to Erlin or Tomlin.
    Agreed
    I wonder if AA and the medical staff is very confident in Hamels..i would like to see Davidson or Muller up soon.

I'm fine with not giving up Waters + for Clevinger or Lynn. I can totally understand that. I'm having a much harder time with not getting somebody like Minor or Ray. Minor went for the A's 22nd prospect and an 11th round unranked prospect. Ray was traded for a 27 year old former rule 5 pick reliever who has a 7.84 ERA this year. I understand the struggles both have had this year but taking a chance on one of them for basically pennies is worth the risk. Minor, for example, looked to be turning a corner after shutting out the Dodgers during his last start. I'd much rather give the ball to Minor every 5 days as opposed to Erlin or Tomlin.
    I don't think he wanted to trade for lesser guys when we have three other guys in the minors who can give you at a minimum what they. Folty is supposed to have gained weight back and is throwing mid 90's again and AA said he liked what he saw in the other young pitchers at the training site. Those things might of swayed him to stay with what we have.

Fried struggling a bit tonight. not horribly but, just a little.

Quote Originally Posted by Wrench View Post
    I don't think he wanted to trade for lesser guys when we have three other guys in the minors who can give you at a minimum what they. Folty is supposed to have gained weight back and is throwing mid 90's again and AA said he liked what he saw in the other young pitchers at the training site. Those things might of swayed him to stay with what we have.
    Of course he's going to say those things but reality is nobody can say they truly trust any of them. Wright, Newk, Touki, and Folty have been, for the most part, disasters. You can never have enough pitching. We need at least 2 arms to fill the rotation, maybe 3 if Ian Anderson begins to struggle. As a starter this year, Tomlin (7.15 ERA) and Erlin (4.50 ERA) just aren't good enough. Minor at least was starting to look good. He's no ace but you can normally count on him for 5-6 innings. We need guys now. We can't afford to wait on guys like Folty.
    2020 Vikings Draft:
    1: Justin Jefferson WR LSU
    1: Jeff Gladney CB TCU
    2: Ezra Cleveland OT Boise State
    3: Cameron Dantzler CB Mississippi State
    4: D.J. Wonnum DE South Carolina
    4: James Lynch DT Baylor
    4: Troy Dye LB Oregon
    5: Harrison Hand CB Temple
    5: K.J. Osborn WR Miami
    6: Blake Brandel OT Oregon State
    6: Josh Metellus S Michigan
    7: Kenny Willekes DE Michigan State
    7: Nate Stanley QB Iowa
    7: Brian Cole S Mississippi State
    7: Kyle Hinton G Washburn

Austin Riley is making me feel better. He's really swinging the bat well. Last winter a lot of us were ready to trade him for Realmuto. Riley's success is a good reason why AA wants to hold onto our top prospects.
    2020 Vikings Draft:

With the lack of a trade for a starting pitcher we have to hope that Folty can return and do some damage like last year. It’s entirely possible. We also have to hope Hamels returns in two weeks and can provide some stability as well. If that happens and we can roll with Fried, Hamels, Folty and Anderson then we aren’t too bad. But that’s a lot of ifs.

Duvall has been a bit of a surprise this year. I mean his BA isn't the greatest but, he really does look better than he has.

Quote Originally Posted by PackerBum9786 View Post
    Duvall has been a bit of a surprise this year. I mean his BA isn't the greatest but, he really does look better than he has.
    Just a 93 wRC+ still mashing lefties though.

Quote Originally Posted by Wrench View Post
    The report I saw about Folty said That "he threw plenty of fastball at 94" which tells me he hasn’t regain his velocity yet. He avg 95 last season, so if He's topping at 94 he probably Is avg 92-93. Time Is running out.

Quote Originally Posted by beldugo View Post
    The report I saw about Folty said That "he threw plenty of fastball at 94" which tells me he hasn’t regain his velocity yet. He avg 95 last season, so if He's topping at 94 he probably Is avg 92-93. Time Is running out.
    Thats a good jump from the 89 he was throwing though. Definitely get the feeling they feel good about Hamels and Folty

https://twitter.com/DOBrienATL/statu...793634818?s=19

Rangers wanted Waters or Pache for Lynn. Hard pass.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I know most of us are frustrated, but think about the international restrictions. I don't think AA is going to make a blockbuster move until we are back to normal. His track records shows good international signings

Quote Originally Posted by BraveWorld23 View Post
    I know most of us are frustrated, but think about the international restrictions. I don't think AA is going to make a blockbuster move until we are back to normal. His track records shows good international signings
    There is at least a light at the end of the tunnel. The next international signing period, now supposed to start on Jan 15th, the Braves will have 50% of their bonus pool. This is the last year of having restrictions.
    2020 Vikings Draft:

There is at least a light at the end of the tunnel. The next international signing period, now supposed to start on Jan 15th, the Braves will have 50% of their bonus pool. This is the last year of having restrictions.
    Now you got me more mad he didn't make a trade haha

Page 24 of 33 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 ... LastLast