Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 17 of 33 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast
    Acuna is back to leading off with Dansby in the 2 hole.

Acuna CF
    Swanson SS
    Freeman 1B
    Ozuna DH
    d'Arnaud C
    Markakis RF
    Duvall LF
    Riley 3B
    Camargo 2B

My guess at the line up was actually correct lol I'm guessing once Albies is ready he'll slide into the 5 or 6 spot.
    2020 Vikings Draft:
    1: Justin Jefferson WR LSU
    1: Jeff Gladney CB TCU
    2: Ezra Cleveland OT Boise State
    3: Cameron Dantzler CB Mississippi State
    4: D.J. Wonnum DE South Carolina
    4: James Lynch DT Baylor
    4: Troy Dye LB Oregon
    5: Harrison Hand CB Temple
    5: K.J. Osborn WR Miami
    6: Blake Brandel OT Oregon State
    6: Josh Metellus S Michigan
    7: Kenny Willekes DE Michigan State
    7: Nate Stanley QB Iowa
    7: Brian Cole S Mississippi State
    7: Kyle Hinton G Washburn

Quote Originally Posted by vikingsfan0845 View Post
    Snit said Pache is only up so he can serve as a defensive replacement. His first couple AB's he looked in over his head but regardless his first taste of the majors should be helpful going forward.

Kinda sucks for Anderson that his first start will come against arguably the best pitcher in the majors right now but the Yankees lineup is pretty beat up. Judge is supposed to be back tonight but no Stanton, Torres, or LeMahieu.
    I saw some one of the beat writers tweet about this and I agree with him, right now the only thing Ender is good for is defense, his bat his pretty much non existent but, he has shown the occasional flash, Pache is probably the best defensive outfielder in the braves organization and has the ability to be a solid bat. why not just let Pache stay up and use Ender as the bench guy. Pache' bat has the potential to keep getting better, Ender is just going to be Ender.

Quote Originally Posted by PackerBum9786 View Post
    I saw some one of the beat writers tweet about this and I agree with him, right now the only thing Ender is good for is defense, his bat his pretty much non existent but, he has shown the occasional flash, Pache is probably the best defensive outfielder in the braves organization and has the ability to be a solid bat. why not just let Pache stay up and use Ender as the bench guy. Pache' bat has the potential to keep getting better, Ender is just going to be Ender.
    He might be the best in the entire league. That's how good he is in the field.

Quote Originally Posted by Wrench View Post
    He might be the best in the entire league. That's how good he is in the field.
    right, which adds to why isn't he up right now and getting playing time over Ender

prospect-wise, what would you guys be willing to give up for Dylan Bundy?

Newk

Quote Originally Posted by hector olivera? View Post
    prospect-wise, what would you guys be willing to give up for Dylan Bundy?
    I'm pretty much done with Touki, so he has to be on the deal, since Bundy doesn't have a track record of success, a guy with a big ceiling like Touki might be close to enough.

With the trade deadline coming fast, this is how I think AA should do it:

Trade Touki/Wright and Austin Riley to Cleveland for Mike Clevinger.

The Indians need an OF, which make Waters a logical fit, but they are going to the playoffs and probably want someone with experience and some kind of success in the majors, Riley is a third baseman but can handle left field and give the Indians a cheap cost controlled masher that could become an elite power hitter. Touki or Wright could be plug in right away in the rotation if they want, but they have such a big depth in the rotation that they can send him down and don't lose a bit pitching wise.

With Riley out of the picture we are left with Camargo as our everyday third baseman, that won't do it, that's why we trade Sean Newcomb to the Angels for Tommy LaStella.

After we traded LaStella his power numbers exploded, a career .131 ISO has a .202 so far this year which is great, he's an amazing contact hitter that has always get on base on a pretty good clip, can also play multiple positions a great fit as a rental for us. Newcomb might get another chance in the rotation with the Halos and being drafted by them could be beneficial for him.

Trade for Kevin Gausman. I won't even try to build a package for him because it might be some random prospects, Gausman return to the Braves might not look good at first glance but he's pitching well based on his peripherals, an elite K/BB ratio with an excelent FIP. With Fried and Clevinger already on the team the rotation still needs help, Gausman could give us another weapon in case Hamels doesn't pitch this year.

DOB along with the Rangers and White Sox discussed potential trade offers for Lance Lynn:

David O’Brien, if you were in the role of Anthopoulos Whisperer, and James Fegan, if you were to get in GM Rick Hahn’s head, what sorts of offers are you making to add Lance Lynn to your clubs’ chances in 2020 — and in 2021?

David O’Brien: Hi Jamey, hope things are well with you in this strange season. Thanks for checking in. I would just start by saying that the Braves indeed are in the market for a starting pitcher, given the diminished state of a rotation that consists of ace Max Fried and a lot of questions, the answers to which change on a weekly basis. Any pitcher ideally will be a frontline guy to pair with Fried and give Atlanta a potent 1-2 combination for the postseason, since the Braves can’t count on Cole Hamels to be that guy or even to pitch at all, though they are certainly hoping the injury-plagued veteran comes off the injured list at some point in September and actually pitches in his first game for Atlanta.

So they need a guy who’s not just a guy — not just someone to fill out the rotation and provide four or five decent innings every fifth day — but can give the Braves a legit chance when matched up with another team’s No. 2 in the postseason. Someone like, for instance, the Rangers’ Lynn, who could suddenly vault the Braves from division favorite ill-equipped for a postseason run, to being a team with a great chance to finally end the almost unfathomable streak of no playoff-round wins since 2001. That’s right, the Braves haven’t won in the postseason in nearly two decades.

Having said that, I should also add that Anthopoulos is not just reluctant to trade top prospects, he has thus far refused to trade any. Not one of the Braves’ premier prospects have been traded by Anthopoulos since he took over as general manager in November 2017. Coincidentally, about as close as he’s come was trading Kolby Allard to the Rangers in exchange for reliever Chris Martin at the trade deadline last summer. But while Allard was a former first-round draft pick who climbed as high as No. 37 in Baseball America’s Top 100 prospects in 2017, by the time the Braves traded him his stock had slipped. He was no longer a top-100 and had been surpassed by several younger pitching prospects in the Braves organization — including some that the Rangers are probably asking for now in a potential trade for Lynn. Someone like 6-foot-6 lefty power arm Kyle Muller, whom Baseball Prospectus had at No. 60 in its preseason prospects this year. While I certainly can’t see Anthopoulos trading away his top pitching prospect, Ian Anderson, and also have doubts as to whether he’d trade either of the top lefties, Muller and Tucker Davidson, the fact that Lynn has an additional year of very affordable control might make Alex A. at least consider giving up one of those guys as the centerpiece of a deal that includes another, lesser prospect. But keep in mind, the Braves are more protective of prospects than most other teams, particularly since their minor league system is now feeling the effects of the MLB sanctions for malfeasance under the previous regime of John Coppolella and John Hart, which cost the Braves 13 prospects and also kept them out of international free agency for a few years. As a result, the lower levels of their minor league system are thin.

JN: Interesting. Earlier this month, I’d spitballed a deal that would send Mike Minor back to Atlanta, along with closer Rafael Montero, for Muller and Bryce Ball. That ship never got out of drydock, however, with Minor struggling to recapture the form he showed for the entirety of 2019. But if Texas is going to move Lynn, I would think that Muller, if not a better pitching prospect, would be necessary. Unless outfielder Drew Waters is on the table.

The Rangers can keep Lynn and trade him this winter or next summer. Or ride out his contract and pick up a premium draft pick after tendering a qualifying offer. Or seek to extend his deal in Texas. They’re going to be picky — and know this: To get the right return, they’ll be open to adding a reliever or perhaps Todd Frazier to shore up the Braves’ third base situation down the stretch.

So let’s hear it. Make me a Lynn offer.

DOB: While I don’t claim to know Anthopoulos is thinking — he’s notoriously covert in his negotiations and often says if you hear a trade rumor involving Braves, that’s a good sign it’s not true — I do feel confident in saying there’s no way, no how the Braves would’ve given up six years of control of Muller for one month of regular-season season control of Mike Minor even if he were pitching well, like he did a year ago. But the point is moot now anyway, since Minor has nearly a 7.00 ERA and 1.400 WHIP through six starts.

The Braves are one of the few teams in baseball that doesn’t need bullpen help. If anything, they could afford to move a reliever in a deal to get a starter. So I’m not sure how they match up with the Rangers, but I do know that Lynn fits the bill for what Anthopoulos looks for — affordable contract plus control beyond this year. And they need a starter even worse than they needed bullpen help a year ago at the trade deadline, when Anthopoulos pulled off three separate deals to bring in Martin from Texas, plus Shane Greene from Detroit and Mark Melancon from San Francisco. The previous year at the deadline, he filled needs in the rotation and bullpen and also traded for Adam Duvall, who’s been a big piece for the Braves this year in their injury-plagued offense. Point being, Anthopoulos isn’t shy about making bold moves, but just hasn’t given up the absolute top-tier guys yet. But to get Lynn, arguably the best starter available — if he’s available — then Anthopoulos knows he’ll have to part with at least one of those elite, Top-100 type prospects. And given the Braves’ position atop the standings and the fact they’ve done it recently without Ronald Acuña Jr., Ozzie Albies and Nick Markakis, all expected back this week or next from the IL, I think the Braves will go for it. You mentioned Bryce Ball. He’s a huge dude with “light-tower power” as they say, and has no position with Freddie Freeman entrenched at first base. But with the DH coming to the NL almost certainly, by the time Ball is ready in a couple of years he could slide into that spot.

Still, the Braves might make the former Dallas Baptist slugger available. I don’t know if they’d be willing to give up both a big-time pitching prospect like Muller and a potential power-hitting prospect in Ball, but I also don’t think it’s out of the realm, if that’s what it would take to bring a frontline pitcher they’d control another year at such a low rate. I know one thing: Such a trade would look more like a football deal from the Braves’ end: Ball is about as big as Muller, at least 6-5 and 240 pounds. His nickname is Drago, because of the striking resemblance to the Russian boxer in the “Rocky” films. His other nickname is Ball Bunyan, for obvious reasons.

Still, it seems more likely to me the Braves would try to give the Rangers a top pitching prospect with some big-league time who’s still trying to figure things out, like one of the former first rounders such as Kyle Wright or Touki Toussaint, who both have great stuff but haven’t been able to put it together yet in their mostly brief stints with the big-league team over the past two or three years. Baseball America had Wright at No. 64 in its preseason top 100 this year, and had Toussaint at No. 53 a year ago.

With Muller or Davidson, the Braves might decide either has too high a ceiling to trade before they’ve pitched in the majors. If so, perhaps a package with both Wright and Toussaint? (I realize many Rangers fans would look at their MLB stats and go, this is all they could get for Lynn? But if they look them up, they’d see both are highly regarded.)

David, even though I’m unable to leverage a White Sox offer into a more aggressive ask of the Braves, I still feel Texas is in a strong position. Lynn is the best available starting pitcher on the trade market, especially considering his contract, and the Rangers aren’t in a corner.

Would Alex be enticed to make an exception and trim from the top of his farm system to get Lynn and bolster the Braves’ very real playoff muscle in the most pronounced way possible? This type of deal would get the Rangers’ attention: Lynn plus Todd Frazier and minor-league infielder Osleivis Basabe for minor-league outfielder Drew Waters and either Kyle Wright or Kyle Muller.

Lynn changes the top of the Braves’ rotation this year and next, Frazier temporarily shores up third base (and the Rangers would kick in $1.5 million to either cover his buyout for 2021 or pay down his $5.75 club option) and Basabe gives Alex an added boost to the lower levels of the farm system. Waters is arguably marginalized a bit if he can’t play center field, which Cristian Pache could hold down in Atlanta until Lance Lynn is 50. And Texas sure loves those Georgia prep players. As for the second piece, Alex has the choice to move on from Wright, who has struggled to convert potential to production at the big-league level, or to include Muller, who has yet to earn the opportunity Wright has had to prove whether he can start games in the major leagues.

If it doesn’t work for Atlanta, it’s all good — Texas will just move on to other possibilities with Lynn.

DOB: Regarding your comment about the Rangers loving Georgia prep players, so do the Braves. They’ve had quite a few of them over the years, and a big chunk of the fan base has been asking for Waters updates since the day the Braves drafted him. Not that Anthopoulos makes decisions based on how the fan base will react, but Waters has some strong tools and an unusual amount of swagger, which reminds some of a young Chipper Jones. He’s got to cut down on the swing-and-miss to follow his pal Pache to the majors, but there’s been talk for a couple of years now of a future outfield of Acuña and Waters flanking Pache, which might well be the fastest and most athletic in the majors if it comes to pass.

Anyway, that’s my long-winded way of saying I’m not sure Anthopoulos is ready to seriously consider giving up Waters for a rental, even if it’s a rental like Lynn who could possibly help the Braves get over the top in two postseasons. The Braves became a heavy-analytics team after Anthopoulos arrived, and Lynn’s age and analytics probably don’t line up as a guy worth trading both a pitcher (Muller) and outfielder (Waters) whom the Braves, a team that still operates within payroll constraints could control for six years apiece. I am confident they’d trade Wright and/or Toussaint. But I’m not as confident in saying they’d consider moving Waters unless it were for a pitcher they could control for a few years like a Mike Clevinger.

Not sure how the Rangers stand with catching depth, but the Braves have a few catching prospects and could put together a package that includes something like Wright and/or Toussaint and catcher Alex Jackson, a solid defender with a strong arm and a guy who’s shown big-time power in the minors but has only had brief stints in the majors. They might even sweeten the deal with another power arm from their stable of them in the minors, but not one of their highest-rated prospects.

JN: Not that this would change your mind (or Alex’s), but regarding your comment that Lynn’s analytics (and age) might not be viewed as a fit, I’d submit that it was an embracing of the analytics that has elevated Lynn to this newfound level of acehood. He’s talked about buying into the data put in front of him the last couple years and changing his pitch usage accordingly; from an analytics standpoint, I’d say he’s proven to be an exemplar rather than a dinosaur. What an awful metaphor. As for his age, hey — Houston traded for the tail end of 34-year-old Justin Verlander’s contract three Augusts ago, and ended up extending him. He was older than Lynn is, making more than three times as much money annually (more than double even when factoring in Detroit’s cash subsidy), and wasn’t nearly as effective at the time of the trade as Lynn has been for the last year-plus.

Anyway, I don’t think Jackson or a second-tier minor-league arm as a sweetener would be enough to advance the talks. And that puts Texas in a similar posture with the Braves as it was in with the White Sox.

If Lynn/Frazier/Basabe for Waters and either Wright or Muller doesn’t get it done with Atlanta, and if Lynn for Cease/Stiever/Thompson doesn’t pique Chicago’s interest — for what it’s worth, I suspect Texas would add another secondary piece in either case if it would close a deal — then Daniels probably thanks Anthopoulos and Hahn for their time, waits until Monday to see if anyone else comes hard after Lynn, and if not, revives the internal debate over whether to eventually place Lynn somewhere else before his contract expires, to ride the contract out and recoup a draft pick, or to rip the contract up and extend perhaps the most reliable frontline pitcher they’ve had in the Daniels era.
    https://theathletic.com/2017309/2020...and-white-sox/

I only copy and pasted the interactions with DOB and Jamey Newberg. The White Sox beat writer is left out.
    2020 Vikings Draft:

Judge out of the lineup for game 1
    2020 Vikings Draft:

Swanson has been good at lead off no doubt but Acuna just gave us 473 feet worth of reasons why he should remain leading off. He's so dangerous.
    2020 Vikings Draft:

the kids looking damn good out there on the mound. he gave up that one little oops but, that seems to be the only major mistake he made. I am listening to the game and Jim Powell said that according to the rules this year Anderson wouldn't have been credited a no-hitter being that this is a scheduled 7 inning game. but man 5 innings of no hit ball thats a breath of fresh air. hopefully the kid can continue on and be what this rotation needs.

Quote Originally Posted by PackerBum9786 View Post
    bats are slowing down in game 2
    All it took was 1 swing
    2020 Vikings Draft: