Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 15 of 19 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye15 View Post
    haha, are you for real? Bird would be the greatest stretch 4 ever in today's league. Think of a better rebounding, passing Dirk.
    There have been some great takes in this thread. Itís like people donít realize that zone defence wasnít a thing when Bird played. A few pages back someone even proclaimed that Bird wasnít that good in the post lol.

Quote Originally Posted by R. Johnson#3 View Post
    There have been some great takes in this thread. Itís like people donít realize that zone defence wasnít a thing when Bird played. A few pages back someone even proclaimed that Bird wasnít that good in the post lol.
    I know man

yeah a 6'9" guy who can shoot from anywhere, pass like a PG, and sees things before they happen, all while having a killer instinct, would struggle in today's NBA. Sure, I buy that.....

If you want the ultimate, you've got to be willing to pay the ultimate price. It's not tragic to die doing what you love.

https://youtu.be/LtpjCnOoO1Y

Bird had a sick fade-away. Iím thinking Jordan might have took that shot form Bird himself.

Quote Originally Posted by Bostonjorge View Post
    We may never see a Larry Bird the same way we may never see another 7í0 Kevin Durant. Slow white guy who could post up Pippen and hit a game winner off a Jordan double team. True unicorns.

Heís In the realm of the Greatest Shooter all time, In the realm of the greatest ISO player all time and In the realm of the greatest floor general all time. He was not Magic on the brake or Curry behind the arch but those guys are the absolute best at those things. Bird was pretty damn close to both.
    I know that clip, check out how the announcers are quick to point out that you can't double yet, now you can, boom too late. man the game was very simple for iso sets back then, it is today too but it's more team dependent based on spacing.

the 2 most athletic swings of the era couldn't double team slow *** bird in time back then.

Quote Originally Posted by Chronz View Post
    I know that clip, check out how the announcers are quick to point out that you can't double yet, now you can, boom too late. man the game was very simple for iso sets back then, it is today too but it's more team dependent based on spacing.

the 2 most athletic swings of the era couldn't double team slow *** bird in time back then.
    Letís put it this way. Bird vs Rodman is just another highlight reel for Bird and another Larry Legend tale. Detroit stopped Jordan by hitting him whenís heís in the air. Obviously it was effective. Bird didnít play in the air. So that didnít work. In the half court Bird would just take Rodman or Dumars on a island and go 1 on 1. Post up the guy who was shorter or shake the taller players. Kept it fundamentally sound. Exactly like Duncanís bank shot. Itís not flashy but itís still easy to see greatness in skills.

Piston vs Celtics is easily the most physical the Piston ever played. Laimbeer literally grabbed Birdís neck on a pump fake. Bird landed some 2 pieceís and a soda vs Detroit as well. Another one of those, he wasnít the best fighter but he looked pretty damn close to one. ďThe steal by BirdĒ game Bird.

ďI would be all over him, trying to deny him the ball, and all Larry was doing was yelling at his teammates, Iím open! Hurry up before they notice nobody is guarding me! Then he would stick an elbow in my jaw and stick the jumper in my face, then he would start in on my coach ďCoach you better get this guy out and send in somebody whoís going to D me up, because itís to easy when Iím wide open like thisĒ

Dennis Rodman on Birds trash talking.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye15 View Post
    I know man

yeah a 6'9" guy who can shoot from anywhere, pass like a PG, and sees things before they happen, all while having a killer instinct, would struggle in today's NBA. Sure, I buy that.....
    I was 3 when Bird retired so I didn't even see him play. I always admired him but during quarantine I've gone and watched a bunch of full games of his. It doesn't even look like he's trying most of the time! Just jogging around, faking people out of their shoes, scoop floaters and contested shots. It's almost like he's treating it as pickup ball. The 60 point game is even on youtube.
    Quote Originally Posted by ChongInc. View Post
    Facts can be hypothetical.

I was 3 when Bird retired so I didn't even see him play. I always admired him but during quarantine I've gone and watched a bunch of full games of his. It doesn't even look like he's trying most of the time! Just jogging around, faking people out of their shoes, scoop floaters and contested shots. It's almost like he's treating it as pickup ball. The 60 point game is even on youtube.
    my favorite part of that game is even the Hawks on the bench are giving each other high fives after he hits that 3 falling out of bounds. Dude, he was soooooooooo good.

If you want the ultimate, you've got to be willing to pay the ultimate price. It's not tragic to die doing what you love.

Thanks. Iím waiting the 60 point game right now. The first thing I am impressed with is Birdís strength. Heíll get under and move Antone Carr or Kevin Willis to get post position or get in position for a rebound. Thatís impressive as hell. I think strength was a really underrated aspect of Birds game. He doesnít look like he should able bully his way to spots but he does it and against powerful guys

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    My dick is named 'Ewing'.

Bird getting underrated feels a lot like subliminal racism. People seem upset that a guy this good isn't black and ruins the image that this is where a suppressed minority finds some heroes and indirectly a form of justice that it's "their" game. Feels similar to how European players are treated before coming to the league or how people downplay Doncic for example.

He's basically the only white dude to ever dominate the NBA since the 70s. Guys like Dirk never reached this status and the next white American to be considered important is someone like Stockton. Has there been anyone else since Stockton to be a vital part of a contender that reached the Finals?

Bird feels like an anomaly to the matrix since Magic who was a GOAT contender was not really superior to this guy at their peak. And people don't like anomalies.
    Last edited by NYKalltheway; 07-11-2020 at 10:44 AM.

^ I think a lot of people associate greatness with elite athleticism. Bird couldn't fly like Jordan, but he was every bit the dominant force that basically owned everyone he went against, which included plenty of elite athletes in the vicinity as Jordan or Lebron. He's the second greatest NBA player of all time, just happens to not fit the usual mold of elite hops + elite speed or freak size + athleticism that most fans associate with dominating forces.

Quote Originally Posted by NYKalltheway View Post
    Bird getting underrated feels a lot like subliminal racism. People seem upset that a guy this good isn't black and ruins the image that this is where a suppressed minority finds some heroes and indirectly a form of justice that it's "their" game. Feels similar to how European players are treated before coming to the league or how people downplay Doncic for example.

He's basically the only white dude to ever dominate the NBA since the 70s. Guys like Dirk never reached this status and the next white American to be considered important is someone like Stockton. Has there been anyone else since Stockton to be a vital part of a contender that reached the Finals?

Bird feels like an anomaly to the matrix since Magic who was a GOAT contender was not really superior to this guy at their peak. And people don't like anomalies.
    Donít seem Like people bring up race at all. He was viewed and still viewed as a top player To ever lace them up. Itís just that time has passed and other great players played. Ex when people were staring to say Kobe was better than Mj. But when he retired he never really climbed to Mj however he was more skilled in terms of footwork. While Kobe was more skilled he still did not surpass Mj overall. In bird case no one ever reach his Cleverness besides Johnson but they surpassed his athleticism and possess a certain level of his skills. Meaning his skill advantage donít overshadow the gap in the athletic abilities.

Your not going to hear Curry or dirk is better than Durant. That donít mean they canít form a better team than one with Durant base on team and how they play.

Itís no different than keep saying Jerry west or wilt is the best players to ever play lace them up.

How you win have a lot to do with the other guys you share the floor with even if your the most dominant, skilled, athletic, etc. so much more go into winning.
    Last edited by ldawg; 07-11-2020 at 12:32 PM.

All great players who retired before the average current fan watched the game are under rated.

Quote Originally Posted by AntiG View Post
    ^ I think a lot of people associate greatness with elite athleticism. Bird couldn't fly like Jordan, but he was every bit the dominant force that basically owned everyone he went against, which included plenty of elite athletes in the vicinity as Jordan or Lebron. He's the second greatest NBA player of all time, just happens to not fit the usual mold of elite hops + elite speed or freak size + athleticism that most fans associate with dominating forces.
    True.

Top 3 greatest NBA players for me are Jordan, Bird and Magic. Obviously in terms of greatness you have to include Russell, Kareem and then guys like Wilt, Duncan, Shaq and Hakeem followed by several others, but the top 3 is a lock and it'll take someone special to break the triad.

Quote Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
    All great players who retired before the average current fan watched the game are under rated.
    This is true from an entetaining stand point. I mean jerry west rocked the house in his time but if he play today like he did back then no way he find the same level of success. You have to go base on what they did not what they would do today.
    Last edited by ldawg; 07-11-2020 at 11:15 PM.

Page 15 of 19 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast