Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Is Dalvin Cook suddenly pulling a Melvin Gordon on us?

https://bringmethenews.com/minnesota...r-new-contract

I hadn't realized he'd be remotely thinking this and/or that they hadn't progressed enough in talks.......so, it's one thing to decide not to extend him if he expects big dollars, another to not even have him for the last year of his deal (if he were to actually hold out the entire year).

I don't get why they can't come up with compromises for these RB deals lately....where the RB understands the volatility but the team understands the value is still there but for the risk......in other words, incentivized deals where an RB hitting certain goals gets the money they want but an injured/severely declining RB gives the team the risk aversion they want.
    gotta love 'referential' treatment

I donít think so at all. I donít think Gordon ever wanted to be a Charger. I think Dalvin just wants to get paid for his worth. Melvin was always a crybaby before his holdout. Dalvin never has expressed any sorts of frustration with the team.

Who cares.. He can get hurt with another team. Id rather trade him

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

If you cant beat them, join them

I hope he does see Melvin Gordon as a good example. Gordon held out, wasn't that great when did come back, and ended up losing out on money.

Cook also can't hold out past training camp. If he does, according to the new CBA, he won't accrue a season and will be a RFA after the season. Cook either got bad advice or this is an empty threat.

Eric Eager of PFF mentioned Austin Ekeler's new deal as a good starting point.
    2020 Vikings Draft:
    1: Justin Jefferson WR LSU
    1: Jeff Gladney CB TCU
    2: Ezra Cleveland OT Boise State
    3: Cameron Dantzler CB Mississippi State
    4: D.J. Wonnum DE South Carolina
    4: James Lynch DT Baylor
    4: Troy Dye LB Oregon
    5: Harrison Hand CB Temple
    5: K.J. Osborn WR Miami
    6: Blake Brandel OT Oregon State
    6: Josh Metellus S Michigan
    7: Kenny Willekes DE Michigan State
    7: Nate Stanley QB Iowa
    7: Brian Cole S Mississippi State
    7: Kyle Hinton G Washburn

The rules around hold outs have gotten tougher, I think this is more a quick ploy to try and get a better offer than what is on the table. I think he will be here this season either way in the end.

in the end, it doesn't matter what we think he's worth.....so what do we think he's worth?

Dalvin is a really good RB...no doubt about it. But you don't pay RB's an absorbent amount of $$. Especially during this economic potential downfall where they expected the cap to go down by as much as $40 million (unlikely). I feel the growth will be slowed by everything so he's probably trying to get a head to see if the team will bite.

Quote Originally Posted by vikingsfan0845 View Post
    I hope he does see Melvin Gordon as a good example. Gordon held out, wasn't that great when did come back, and ended up losing out on money.

Cook also can't hold out past training camp. If he does, according to the new CBA, he won't accrue a season and will be a RFA after the season. Cook either got bad advice or this is an empty threat.

Eric Eager of PFF mentioned Austin Ekeler's new deal as a good starting point.
    Melvin Gordon sitting out also gave playing time to Ekeler who was able to prove that he has what it takes to be a starting NFL running back. Ekeler even ended up getting a four year contract out of it. Cook better watch out or Mattison could do something similar to what Ekeler did.
    https://orig00.deviantart.net/1dc3/f/2018/078/e/e/cousins_by_matthew998-dc6cc8l.png

Quote Originally Posted by pacofunk64 View Post
    Dalvin is a really good RB...no doubt about it. But you don't pay RB's an absorbent amount of $$. Especially during this economic potential downfall where they expected the cap to go down by as much as $40 million (unlikely). I feel the growth will be slowed by everything so he's probably trying to get a head to see if the team will bite.
    He is very good and border line elite but the injuries are a major concern which makes me question offering him upper tier RB money. The guy has only played 29 games in three seasons.
    https://orig00.deviantart.net/1dc3/f/2018/078/e/e/cousins_by_matthew998-dc6cc8l.png

Courtney Cronin
    @CourtneyRCronin

15h
    Dalvin Cook has been playing the waiting game for an extension for months and without resolution as the offseason program progresses, Cook's decision to sit out the remainder until he gets a new deal shouldn't surprise anyone. From sources I've spoken with in recent weeks

Courtney Cronin
    @CourtneyRCronin

15h
    and in time following the draft, the reason for an impasse in negotiations is over the number Cook is looking for. Sources have told me the ideal figure is north of what Christian McCaffrey is making ($16 mill/year), but it does not seem the Vikings want/can be in that ballpark.
    If he wants McCaffrey money then good bye and good luck elsewhere Dalvin....

He wants 16m and the Vikings offered him under $9m.

I remember when I got mad when we drafted Mattison.

2020 Vikings Draft:
    1: Justin Jefferson WR LSU
    1: Jeff Gladney CB TCU
    2: Ezra Cleveland OT Boise State
    3: Cameron Dantzler CB Mississippi State
    4: D.J. Wonnum DE South Carolina
    4: James Lynch DT Baylor
    4: Troy Dye LB Oregon
    5: Harrison Hand CB Temple
    5: K.J. Osborn WR Miami
    6: Blake Brandel OT Oregon State
    6: Josh Metellus S Michigan
    7: Kenny Willekes DE Michigan State
    7: Nate Stanley QB Iowa
    7: Brian Cole S Mississippi State
    7: Kyle Hinton G Washburn

Can you blame the guy for holding out? He is getting paid $2m and WHEN healthy, he is one of the best in the league.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Swayze View Post
    Can you blame the guy for holding out? He is getting paid $2m and WHEN healthy, he is one of the best in the league.
    Remember when contract years motivated the players? I miss those days, guys can't even play out rookie deals anymore.
    Last edited by blom85; 06-09-2020 at 05:40 PM.

I don't blame him for wanting to get paid.
    However, I do blame him for not paying attention if he's thinking he should get $15mil/year as is rumored.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast