Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I'm torn on how to feel about Cook. On one hand he is a stud. A true 3 down back and is regularly towards the top of the league in missed tackles. On the other hand, I hate the idea of paying any valuable cash to a position that can be replaced with a mid round pick or even just a guy off the street.

The way of the NFL now is to have a committee. One guy who works in between the tackles and a 3rd down passing catch back. I looked at some contracts of a few pretty good RBs who would do best in a committee. I looked at Mark Ingram, Jordan Howard, Gio Bernard, James White, Duke Johnson, Tevin Coleman, and Austin Ekeler. You're looking at 4-5 million dollars per player. So total that committee is going to cost you around 10 million a season. Cook is obviously better than any of these backs and can play all 3 downs. Is it better to have 1 stud making around say 13 million with a cheap back up or two average/above average players making 10ish million? Cook, Mattison, and Boone combined would count about 15 million towards the cap plus CJ Ham at 1.75.

Personally I would just cycle 3rd and 4th round picks at RB every 3-4 years and basically never pay anything to your RBs but that'll never happen.
    2020 Vikings Draft:
    1: Justin Jefferson WR LSU
    1: Jeff Gladney CB TCU
    2: Ezra Cleveland OT Boise State
    3: Cameron Dantzler CB Mississippi State
    4: D.J. Wonnum DE South Carolina
    4: James Lynch DT Baylor
    4: Troy Dye LB Oregon
    5: Harrison Hand CB Temple
    5: K.J. Osborn WR Miami
    6: Blake Brandel OT Oregon State
    6: Josh Metellus S Michigan
    7: Kenny Willekes DE Michigan State
    7: Nate Stanley QB Iowa
    7: Brian Cole S Mississippi State
    7: Kyle Hinton G Washburn

Quote Originally Posted by vikingsfan0845 View Post
    I'm torn on how to feel about Cook. On one hand he is a stud. A true 3 down back and is regularly towards the top of the league in missed tackles. On the other hand, I hate the idea of paying any valuable cash to a position that can be replaced with a mid round pick or even just a guy off the street.

The way of the NFL now is to have a committee. One guy who works in between the tackles and a 3rd down passing catch back. I looked at some contracts of a few pretty good RBs who would do best in a committee. I looked at Mark Ingram, Jordan Howard, Gio Bernard, James White, Duke Johnson, Tevin Coleman, and Austin Ekeler. You're looking at 4-5 million dollars per player. So total that committee is going to cost you around 10 million a season. Cook is obviously better than any of these backs and can play all 3 downs. Is it better to have 1 stud making around say 13 million with a cheap back up or two average/above average players making 10ish million? Cook, Mattison, and Boone combined would count about 15 million towards the cap plus CJ Ham at 1.75.

Personally I would just cycle 3rd and 4th round picks at RB every 3-4 years and basically never pay anything to your RBs but that'll never happen.
    Bill Belichick answers this time and time again.

Quote Originally Posted by blom85 View Post
    Bill Belichick answers this time and time again.
    The Patriots are actually spend the 3rd most money in the league on running backs at 14.6 million. They have 5 backs making at least 1.2 million (including their FB).
    2020 Vikings Draft:

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Swayze View Post
    Can you blame the guy for holding out? He is getting paid $2m and WHEN healthy, he is one of the best in the league.
    He's probably only going to get one big contract, right? It's hard to blame him for wanting paid.

With all of the uncertainties with COVID-19/the salary cap, I understand him wanting to have more financial security NOW.

I get it. With all that said, he has to also understand the Vikings situation, as well. A "reasonable contract" is music to my ears. However, it seems that "reasonable" to him and his camp means over 10 million a year. That's ... a bit hard to stomach, but we'll see what they come up with.

I, too, think they'll get a deal done. That's been the plan all along. And because of that, I truly wish Cook and his agent kept this behind closed doors.

**** it, give him 11-12 million a year and call it good.

Quote Originally Posted by nessythegreat View Post
    We could view him like a Christian McCaffrey...3 down back also versatile in the passing game (tho not at his level)
    Or we could view him like Todd Gurley...great back, but will injuries make him more average before any big contract can be completed.

I don't know how incentives work re cap or how Cook would view them, but if the Vikings were on 9 mil before, and Dalvin's thinking more like 15, I'd hope the gap could be closed with incentives. I mean would we have a problem with him getting 15 mil if several of those he only got by reaching some big goals?

The other problem is...how do you do ANY deal NOW and still fit it into our current cap?
    gotta love 'referential' treatment

Quote Originally Posted by SiteWolf View Post
    We could view him like a Christian McCaffrey...3 down back also versatile in the passing game (tho not at his level)
    Or we could view him like Todd Gurley...great back, but will injuries make him more average before any big contract can be completed.

I don't know how incentives work re cap or how Cook would view them, but if the Vikings were on 9 mil before, and Dalvin's thinking more like 15, I'd hope the gap could be closed with incentives. I mean would we have a problem with him getting 15 mil if several of those he only got by reaching some big goals?

The other problem is...how do you do ANY deal NOW and still fit it into our current cap?
    That's the biggest issue IMO because Anthony Harris also needs an extension. Harris will probably be the one who has to wait because he's not going to hold out but it would be nice to lower his cap hit with an extension. The other issue is there are rumors the cap next year could drop as much as 40 million if the season is played without fans. The Vikings will be hurting big time if that happens. But if they do give Cook an extension then they could him a big signing bonus and keep the cap hit this year low. I'm not too worried about how the contract will be structured because the Vikings always find a way to leave themselves with an out. I'm worried how much we'll give him and how it'll effect future spending.

I checked 2021 and we do have some ways to create space. Harris and his 11 million will be off the books (I still hope we resign him). They can cut Reiff and save 11.75 million (2.2 dead). Rudy can save us 5.1 million (4.35 dead). Shamar Stephen saves 3.75 million (1.33 dead). I doubt they do this but we could also cut Barr. That'll save 7.7 million in 2021 but also have 7.8 dead money. Cutting Barr frees up 15.6 and 18.1 in 2022 and 2023 so that move would be made more with the future in mind. Unless their super tight on money and somebody like Wilson or Dye really steps up, they'll more than likely keep Barr. Money will be tight but we at least have room to maneuver.
    Last edited by vikingsfan0845; 06-11-2020 at 12:42 PM.
    2020 Vikings Draft:

Quote Originally Posted by nessythegreat View Post
    Is that you Les?

That's the biggest issue IMO because Anthony Harris also needs an extension. Harris will probably be the one who has to wait because he's not going to hold out but it would be nice to lower his cap hit with an extension. The other issue is there are rumors the cap next year could drop as much as 40 million if the season is played without fans. The Vikings will be hurting big time if that happens. But if they do give Cook an extension then they could him a big signing bonus and keep the cap hit this year low. I'm not too worried about how the contract will be structured because the Vikings always find a way to leave themselves with an out. I'm worried how much we'll give him and how it'll effect future spending.

I checked 2021 and we do have some ways to create space. Harris and his 11 million will be off the books (I still hope we resign him). They can cut Reiff and save 11.75 million (2.2 dead). Rudy can save us 5.1 million (4.35 dead). Shamar Stephen saves 3.75 million (1.33 dead). I doubt they do this but we could also cut Barr. That'll save 7.7 million in 2021 but also have 7.8 dead money. Cutting Barr frees up 15.6 and 18.1 in 2022 and 2023 so that move would be made more with the future in mind. Unless their super tight on money and somebody like Wilson or Dye really steps up, they'll more than likely keep Barr. Money will be tight but we at least have room to maneuver.
    IMO if the salary cap has to drop significantly, the Vikings won't be the only team hurting....however, since a drop would be no fault of a teams GM or cap guru, perhaps they'd look at making ALL players take slight cuts (you know, because that's going so well for baseball)

Quote Originally Posted by blom85 View Post
    Is that you Les?
    Which Les, this one?

or this one?

Dalvin is one of my favorite players on the team but I don't think I'd offer more than 10ish with a signing bonus right around there, too. If they want to add incentives for GAMES PLAYED, Pro Bowls, playoffs, etc, that bump it up to DJ/Zeke range, I'm fine with that.

VA: Analytics expert says Dalvin Cook among most deserving of a new deal

Recently, an actual living, breathing analytics expert used her data to illustrate why Cook is one of the most deserving players in the entire NFL when it comes to getting a new contract.

Analytics suggest an extension for Dalvin Cook is an urgent matter for the Minnesota Vikings.

NFL Network’s Cynthia Frelund recently released her list of the 10 players around the league who most-deserve new deals from their teams.

To come up with her rankings, Frelund used data from her win-share model and, “forward-looking projections to estimate future win impact.” She also included how much a new contract should be a priority for each player’s team based on a scale from one to 10 with 10 being the most urgent.

After Patrick Mahomes, Deshaun Watson, and Dak Prescott took up the first three spots on the list, Cook popped up as the fourth-most deserving. He and Alvin Kamara of the New Orleans Saints (tied for sixth-most deserving) are the only two running backs to appear on Frelund’s rankings.

Frelund gave the Minnesota running back a deal-priority ranking of seven and she stated that his yards after contact and yards after the catch numbers were two big factors in him placing so high on the list.

To further support Cook’s ranking, she included the fact that his 73 rushes where he reached a speed of at least 15 miles per hour were the most of any running back in the NFL last season and his 10 trips to the end zone on run plays that saw him rush on the outside of his offensive tackles were also tied for the most in the league last year.

Later on, in Frelund’s explanation for putting Kamara on the list, she threw a little shade at her analytics colleagues when she stated that, “I know many ‘analytics’ people say not to pay a running back, but I would amend that to say no position should be overpaid — and no players should be devalued just by virtue of the position they play.”
    Link:

https://thevikingage.com/2020/06/28/...ings-new-deal/

According to Zim, Cook will be reporting to camp on Tuesday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2020 Vikings Draft:

According to Zim, Cook will be reporting to camp on Tuesday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    And according to Cook's agent, not so fast

Quote Originally Posted by SiteWolf View Post
    And according to Cook's agent, not so fast
    Well, he did report to camp yesterday. So his agent is apparently just full of it!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast