Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 47 of 59 FirstFirst ... 37454647484957 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ldawg View Post
    Thatís true that is why I say kids pick it up from bad adults. These adults act worst than kids. Very bad example for what is considered a good human. Everyone is just walking around Angry like a ticking Time bomb. Mad just because. Mad and donít even know why.
    Yeah they sponge it from adults, media, music movies, society, experiences etc etc even just your enviromemt and where you grow up can have an impact.

Quote Originally Posted by smith&wesson View Post
    Sorry you lost me. Are you suggesting that kids are taught prejudice for survival?
    No, I'm not solid on this view but I feel it's an innate trait in our species that triggers this. Not inherently, but once you start to realize the world around you, you do so with the people around you as its core. And that's usually family and similar people. In societies that aren't based on the ethnos, you have less of this, but whether it is something that our mind craves or not I don't know. Evidence is inconclusive but on the preface it seems like homogeneity helps reduce these issues, at least from the surface. And very strict social laws tend to also disable humans from acting on their instincts.

Blame the American culture not the people. Of all the top modern countries America dont practice social respect, High health care cost, falling behind on education, the negetive nonstop from news tv shows radio, $$ stress, people seeing work going away, etc. While America is still a great place to live they are sliding backwards. To many people are loosing hope.
    Kinda agree here. This was my original comment. There is an evident lack of respect in the society.

Quote Originally Posted by goingfor28 View Post
    It's 2020. Everything is racist.
    Tru dat.

In fact, I might add that statement alone is racist.

In fact, you are all a bunch of racists.

Most likely raised by racist parents and have racist siblings.

Quote Originally Posted by NYKalltheway View Post
    No, I'm not solid on this view but I feel it's an innate trait in our species that triggers this. Not inherently, but once you start to realize the world around you, you do so with the people around you as its core. And that's usually family and similar people. In societies that aren't based on the ethnos, you have less of this, but whether it is something that our mind craves or not I don't know. Evidence is inconclusive but on the preface it seems like homogeneity helps reduce these issues, at least from the surface. And very strict social laws tend to also disable humans from acting on their instincts.
    " Not inherently but once you start to realize the world around you" I think what you meant to say there was "not inherently, but once you become corrupted by the society around you"

Its funny because my friend is a geen beret and he argues that prejudice can save your life. That to me screams "I will justify my prejudice by any means" its a cop out. No pun intended.

If were going to play the prejudice card we can essentially pull it out on any race as were all capable of doing wrong. There is no race free of sin. If yoi piss off the wrong white guy in Detroit or Boston the result wouldnt be any different than pissing the wrong black, or mexican guy off in LA.
    Last edited by smith&wesson; 06-17-2020 at 12:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by smith&wesson View Post
    " Not inherently but once you start to realize the world around you" I think what you meant to say there was "not inherently, but once you become corrupted by the society around you"

Its funny because my friend is a geen beret and he argues that prejudice can save your life. That to me screams "I will justify my prejudice by any means" its a cop out. No pun intended.

If were going to play the prejudice card we can essentially pull it out on any race as were all capable of doing wrong. There is no race free of sin. If yoi piss off the wrong white guy in Detroit or Boston the result wouldnt be any different than pissing the wrong black, or mexican guy off in LA.
    Maybe you call it being corrupted, I call it being shaped. Maybe badly shaped, but I think corrupted carries too negative a connotation to accept this. I'll elaborate further.

All people act the same, but the idea of prejudice is that a white person will feel awkward in a non-white environment just as much as a black person would feel awkward in a non-black environment. That is natural. What in my eye then becomes <<blatant racism>> is when the black person for example is under a lot more scrutiny than a white person would in the equivalent situation. And this is far more prevalent because we don't have whites living in non-white regions, at least not so many anymore. And they have arrived in those lands under completely different circumstances, opposite almost.

I mentioned some examples such as South Africa, there was Zimbabwe which is now barely 0.3% of the population and I think at the height they were like 5%. It was called Rhodesia at that time. Truth is, you get to hear that whites are racists a lot more than anything else, mainly because in what was predominantly a white country there are now people of various ethnic groups living there. And for the most part I'd say that most predominantly white countries have welcomed the diversification and it becomes news when you have racial events.
    The United Kingdom (England), France, Holland, Germany, Sweden, Belgium, Portugal, Austria etc and even now Italy, Greece and Spain. You have a lot of people from everywhere. Some natives are agitated by this turn of events, but you rarely see racial tension. It's a young concept, there's barely half to two generations born and/or raised in those places that don't belong to the original ethnic group, depending on location.

This is why I think the USA is the odd one out. It was one of the pioneers in this regard, yet it falls back and I believe as I initially said it's because of the historical baggage and context.

It either is the beacon of what will follow in Europe or it is just a dysfunctional country. I start to think it's a combination of both. As Will Smith said after the events with George Floyd, racism is just videotaped, it's not getting worse. What we have is more information on these outbreaks. The USA still is the #1 country to do business in and it still has the flashy Hollywood lifestyle that's advertised overseas. But it never was how the average Joe spent his days or life.

Now if someone is opposed to this influx of non-ethnics, he is immediately labeled a racist, a bigot, a xenophobe or that he is prejudiced. But if you ask people in the Arab world if they'd be willing to let their country become multicultural, they'd more likely say no. If you ask Chinese/Japanese and other Asians, they'd also probably say no. If you'd ask African countries, based on their own experience, they'd say hell no! If you ask India or Brazil, they already have their own issues with diverse native ethnic groups so I doubt they'd be willing to add more people in the mix.

But for some reason white societies are expected to embrace the influx of non-whites. While I sometimes admire that this is done and usually without many issues, I also don't see why this has to be the case. A Croatian, Ukrainian, Romanian or Polish person doesn't carry any colonial debt for example, why should he have what is called "white guilt"? In fact these people were oppressed until fairly recently in their own countries by ruling powers. We were talking about Larry Bird for example and the 80s basketball in another thread and these people back then were living like prisoners under constant state policing. Why do we suddenly want them to become Americanized? I know that, mostly due to the English, we now have a bunch of emigrant nations, including the USA. Argentina is probably the only non-English example out there.

Now, you used the term corrupted earlier. Do you feel that the far East and Southeast Asian countries are corrupted into not accepting foreigners? If you look at their demographics, there's over 2 billion of them and there's like less than 2% foreigners living in those countries and possibly a lot less if we eliminate intermigration between them.

Someone may give you the argument that whites are the minority in the world, yet all the predominantly white countries have allowed a significant amount of non-white immigrants what they have considered their countries. The USA was actually one of these countries as well, despite not being in Europe. These countries are the most...colourful in terms of ethnic groups. Other countries with multiple ethnic groups don't really have representation of all skin tones which is what usually is the key indication of racism.
    This is also what leads to the rise of populist and racist political movements in Europe. They have arguments such as "Why do they come to Europe? Is it because we are better?". It's easy to follow this line of thought if you're unaware and fall into the trap of supporting racists. Eventually, it will turn people into actual racists or prejudiced against different people.
    In the USA, this has a different setting as no one cares about migration, but I think collectively in the subconscious of white America there's a lot of fear that they're being replaced by non-whites. Some are very vocal about this and usually are well known for their...activities, others just speak up when they see racially backed political rallies such as 'Black Lives Matter' and others just cringe at the modern political correctness and just support anyone, racist or not, who speaks against this verbal madness.

I worry because it feels like society all around the world is ready to burst, for multiple reasons. Race being one of them. Not the most serious or most important one, but definitely the perfect excuse.

There's no right or wrong imo, there's no "fixing" that needs to be made, it is just how it is. People need to accept living with other people. It is irrational to fear a different person in this day and age, but we are genuinely programmed this way. There needs to be respect and understanding of all aspects of society instead of having for example politicians that have no clue of what their voters live like.

It is also crucial to understand that it is human nature to have some irrational fears. Well, that's the life of humans in our civilization. You always have fight your primal insticts, respect the law and respect the people around you. But this is something extrelemy new. Even if it's 100-200 years in the USA for example, it's still a young concept for human life.
    We live in an irrational society where we can communicate without talking (texting, forums etc), talking to a person who isn't there (telephone), watching people talk from your living room (television), sit on a chair and travel to various places (vehicles) and many other things that have been inconceivable for the majority of our existence. Even if you rationalize prejudice, like I did in this post, you just have to go with the wind at the end of the day. And that's what people are doing for the most part. It's not acting, it's getting accustomed to things. Some people take longer than others, others just cannot. As long ast they're not harmful or hurtufl, I say let them be.

In the USA people have the luxury of being able to coexist with various people without society forcing them a specific guideline. Try growing up in the Balkans or in the Middle East. You're basically told how you're supposed to think, what to do in your life, who to marry and if you deviate from the norm, you're ostracized, with a varying degree of consequences depending on location and circumstances. This is slowly perishing, but it's not really gone. There are societies that still behave this way.

You may think that USA is some backwater society because it has these race issues, but if you're not aware of what's out there in the world, you're in for a treat. And sadly, many people who are protesting here don't really understand why the world doesn't revolve around this issue. It is a big problem in the USA, of course, but I think people are exaggerating this just to be heard, or for others only because they found an excuse to make some noise.

Apologies for the length again, I could rant for hours when it comes to social and historical stuff.

P.S: Would like to see if you could elaborate with some examples on what your friend said and why he thinks that's the case. I'm not in agreement with that, I believe the opposite is true. It's far more likely to get into a mess or create one if you're prejudiced.

All people act the same, but the idea of prejudice is that a white person will feel awkward in a non-white environment just as much as a black person would feel awkward in a non-black environment. That is natural.
    "Natural" again implies it is "inherent" which is another way of saying it's genetic. I don't think it's "natural" or "inherent" because it's not ... it's learned. If your sister from birth is a different race than you are you are not going to exclude her from "your group" because she's always been in your group. There is nothing "natural" or "inherent" about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
    "Natural" again implies it is "inherent" which is another way of saying it's genetic. I don't think it's "natural" or "inherent" because it's not ... it's learned. If your sister from birth is a different race than you are you are not going to exclude her from "your group" because she's always been in your group. There is nothing "natural" or "inherent" about it.
    You won't, but your wider group probably will. At least initially.

I think it's more suitable to say that it's learned to be inclusive than to say that it's more natural. Unfortunately history has shown us that it's the other way round.

I think it's more suitable to say that it's learned to be inclusive than to say that it's more natural. Unfortunately history has shown us that it's the other way round.
    its natral for man to be evil its also natral for men to love, its natral for man to agressive towards women sexually, etc . Thing is man can reason and know right from wrong. No excuses for evil people. Even within the same groups those same problem will exist. How widesread will depend on ones culture.
    Last edited by ldawg; 06-18-2020 at 07:14 AM.

So ... you are saying history shows it's genetic? When you use words like "inherent" and "natural" you are saying that these habits are genetic (or inherited in a way other than learned). Do you have any studies that support that position?

If someone grows up exposed to a bunch of different races and it's not made to be anything special you think the vast majority of people will still want to keep themselves separate from the "other" races?

its natral for man to be evil its also natral for men to love, its natral for man to agressive towards women sexually, etc . Thing is man can reason and know right from wrong. No excuses for evil people. Even within the same groups those same problem will exist. How widesread will depend on ones culture.
    It's NOT "nature" to be evil it's learned. It's also natural for women to want to have sex.

Quote Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
    So ... you are saying history shows it's genetic? When you use words like "inherent" and "natural" you are saying that these habits are genetic (or inherited in a way other than learned). Do you have any studies that support that position?

If someone grows up exposed to a bunch of different races and it's not made to be anything special you think the vast majority of people will still want to keep themselves separate from the "other" races?
    That's actually a great question.

Humans are tribalistic. They are not racist per se. But tribes tend to be homogenous. At least historically. Non-homogeneous tribes usually were made up by people with a common enemy as we have seen from Germanic tribes vs Rome, Illyrians vs Greeks, or other examples in ancient East Asia.

The people you mention who will grow up as part of a group with a bunch of races will consider their tribe to be such.
    But since this is not the case even in the USA, apart from a sizeable population that' derives from mixed couples, it remains a what if. This is why I called this an experiment earlier. We still don't have conclusive data if this actually can work. It seems like a miniscule hurdle, but the way our minds are mapped from generations of evolution it makes sense that we have these things in our subconscious. I mean we're even discussing this in a "why is this not the case, are we stupid?" way, yet it's a discussion had every couple of years. It obviously has deep roots somewhere and people better start digging if they want to find the issue and the solution.

Tribalism itself is not racist and it's not limited to a shared racial background.
    The New York vs Boston rivalry may very well be grouped into a tribalistic spectrum. With all parameters included, such as the fact that not all people in New York are actual New Yorkers. I could end up in Boston and end up hating on New York just because that's what Bostonians do. That's tribalism. If I don't conform to that, then I'm just not one of them.
    Racism is just an aspect of tribalism.

If humas were looked and speak as just humans your mind frame would be much different. Religon, Race, etc is are tools that divide into sub groups. Humans have similar traits to animals. An animal dont decide not to hang with another animal of the same kind because of color.

Page 47 of 59 FirstFirst ... 37454647484957 ... LastLast