Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by blams View Post
    I would agree with that, but doesnt that just do the same thing as having the voting percentage/totals dictate the winner? I'm on board with that type of reform to the EC.
    It makes it closer. The point of the founding fathers was to make the representative actually represent their constituents to the federal government. When there were less than 50k people it was much harder to hide from them, and much easier for them to vote you out.

At present there are NO federal elections in the US. We select the government up to the state level and the states select the president. It was never intended to be a popular vote across state boundaries.

It wouldn't be a reform to the EC, the EC would be unchanged, it would be a reform of the state presidential election or a change to the way congress distributes their representatives.

Quote Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
    It makes it closer. The point of the founding fathers was to make the representative actually represent their constituents to the federal government. When there were less than 50k people it was much harder to hide from them, and much easier for them to vote you out.

At present there are NO federal elections in the US. We select the government up to the state level and the states select the president. It was never intended to be a popular vote across state boundaries.

It wouldn't be a reform to the EC, the EC would be unchanged, it would be a reform of the state presidential election or a change to the way congress distributes their representatives.
    It would be closer... and of course I agree with term limits.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Click here to register!

Hope to see some new posters around here soon.

PBS doesn't "take control of the media"
    When I say control of the media I mean having a media system which actually reflects American citizens. Right now we have a media system that reflects one of two parties.

So they will dictate politics. Not us.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    RAIDERS, SHARKS, WARRIORS

"i don't believe in mysteries but still i pray for my sister, when speaking to the higher power that listens, to the lifeless vision of freedom everytime we're imprisoned, to the righteous victims of people of a higher position" - planet asia, old timer thoughts

"God is Universal he is the Ruler Universal" - gangstarr (rip guru), robbin hood theory

"don't gain the world and lose your soul, wisdom is better than silver and gold" - bob marley, zion train

Quote Originally Posted by nastynice View Post
    When I say control of the media I mean having a media system which actually reflects American citizens. Right now we have a media system that reflects one of two parties.

So they will dictate politics. Not us.
    So, social media then. Or past social media anyhow where there was no filter between the public and transmission.

I'm not sure that fixes things either because trolls.

So, social media then. Or past social media anyhow where there was no filter between the public and transmission.

I'm not sure that fixes things either because trolls.
    Oh I remember original social media. I thought it was the end of corporate brainwashing.

Boy was I wrong. They just stepped their game up even higher.

That was like 05, 06.
    Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    RAIDERS, SHARKS, WARRIORS

"i don't believe in mysteries but still i pray for my sister, when speaking to the higher power that listens, to the lifeless vision of freedom everytime we're imprisoned, to the righteous victims of people of a higher position" - planet asia, old timer thoughts

"God is Universal he is the Ruler Universal" - gangstarr (rip guru), robbin hood theory

"don't gain the world and lose your soul, wisdom is better than silver and gold" - bob marley, zion train

I guess if he wants to live on welfare then he has "beaten" the system. I actually don't know if welfare checks are garnished.

Right now he's not hurting anybody but we are paying for him to exist ... if he's out chances are he earns some money and some of that goes to his victims and maybe helps people a little and costs us less.
    He could always just earn money under the table as an advisor. He could do the actual work and have his compensation in someone else’s name. There’s so many holes in the no jail time for non violent crimes.

Quote Originally Posted by joeyc77 View Post
    He could always just earn money under the table as an advisor. He could do the actual work and have his compensation in someone else’s name. There’s so many holes in the no jail time for non violent crimes.
    They are not holes. We accept in our society that some number of rapists and murderers will go free in the interest of making it less likely we convict the guilty. The vast majority of non-violent offenders are not Madoff, and the overall benefit to society will be significant in having those people working, paying back their victims, and not living on our dime in prison.

Yes, instead of huge police stations with 200 police we should have 10 police stations with 10 cops each.

Police should be entirely locally funded like they used to be.
    10? that would be way to easy for them to be ambushed and overwhelmed.

don't get your panties in a bunch because you don't like what I'm posting.
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

a person is smart. people are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals.
    #TrumpDerangementSyndrome
    the anti-Trump movement seems to be getting dumber

Quote Originally Posted by SpecialFNK View Post
    10? that would be way to easy for them to be ambushed and overwhelmed.
    It's the same amount of cops. Different localities can work together if necessary, no?

Click here to register!

Hope to see some new posters around here soon.

It's the same amount of cops. Different localities can work together if necessary, no?

if I'm following what Scoots said, then any police station anywhere in America would only have a maximum of 10 police. that would include some of the biggest cities in America, with only 10 police. that would also include times when they are not all there at the same time.

smaller towns I could understand.

police should be better trained, but don't limit the number of officers which could only put them in danger.

don't get your panties in a bunch because you don't like what I'm posting.
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

a person is smart. people are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals.
    #TrumpDerangementSyndrome
    the anti-Trump movement seems to be getting dumber

Quote Originally Posted by SpecialFNK View Post
    if I'm following what Scoots said, then any police station anywhere in America would only have a maximum of 10 police. that would include some of the biggest cities in America, with only 10 police. that would also include times when they are not all there at the same time.

smaller towns I could understand.

police should be better trained, but don't limit the number of officers which could only put them in danger.
    No, I didn't say a max of 10. I was just saying that rather than having one huge police station have several smaller stations where the police are closer to the people and spend more time in the neighborhoods and where it's the same cops all the time so the people can get to know them and so they can get to know the people.

Police stations getting attacked is incredibly rare and not really an excuse.

Quote Originally Posted by SiteWolf View Post
    You can't just ban the electoral college, you'd need to adjust it
    Banning it would mean going back to national elections strictly by votes, which would make the votes of large portions of the country meaningless. Votes cast by NYC alone could completely negate those of a dozen entire states.
    This of course isn’t remotely true. The NYC metro area is 20 million people. The LA metro area is 13 million people. The US is 330 million people. That is only 10%. Even if every single person in NYC and LA voted (which they don’t) and voted for a Democrat (which they don’t), that is still less than 25% of the number of people who voted in the 2016 election.

None of that matters unless the electoral college is banned, gerrymandering is nixed, polling places arent closed, voter I'd laws are eased across the board, mail in voting is simplified for everyone, and super pacs are disallowed.

Then we'll see a true election.

I was thinking about the electoral college thing...I doubt it goes away. However I hate that states have to fully go red or blue. I know some states have it setup to go with split electoral numbers. Maybe going widespread in that way would have an effect.

Quote Originally Posted by warfelg View Post
    I was thinking about the electoral college thing...I doubt it goes away. However I hate that states have to fully go red or blue. I know some states have it setup to go with split electoral numbers. Maybe going widespread in that way would have an effect.
    If the states did that then not a single president would have ever been elected without winning the popular vote.

If the states did that then not a single president would have ever been elected without winning the popular vote.
    Why is the person who gets the most votes for President becoming President such a bad thing?

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast