Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Free Agency Before the Draft?

https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2020/05/...-to-draft.html

I'm of the opinion that FA should always be before the draft, like the NFL, what say you?

personally I liked the draft before free agency so you draft based on best pick available and sign players who fit needs. Teams still draft for need too often, but it at least gives teams a chance to do it the right way.

As I said in the other thread:
    . NBA being the only sport to draft before FA is just so stupid. My opinion is half the drafting issue is that teams look at the draft coming first and they need to fill holes via the draft because there's no guarantee they'll get it via FA.

Now I know it's easy to say "yea but teams will still reach because of not having the position filled." Sure, but those numbers will be reduced. I think back to the Heat drafting Shabazz Napier, and it was linked to LeBron liking him and talking highly of them, so they draft him thinking LeBron will resign with them due to it. For the Heat, wouldn't it have been nice to know you don't have LeBron and take someone that you see fitting your team?

I also think to a situation like the Kevin Love trade. If Lebron signed with Cleveland before the draft, they would be able to trade the #1 pick without a player attached to it to Minnesota. Maybe they see Embiid's foot and draft him anyways. Maybe they like Parker in their evaluation better than Wiggins. Maybe they liked Aaron Gordon or Julius Randle much better. In 2017 possibly the Sixers-Celtics 1/3 swap never happens because possibly in FA the Sixers are able to sign a PG/SF that can play off ball and on ball like they envisioned for Fultz at the time. Then the Sixers feel no need to move up. Heck maybe they drop back some instead.

Having FA first alters the draft in so many ways for the better that they need to make it a permanent change.

Quote Originally Posted by warfelg View Post
    . NBA being the only sport to draft before FA is just so stupid. My opinion is half the drafting issue is that teams look at the draft coming first and they need to fill holes via the draft because there's no guarantee they'll get it via FA.

Now I know it's easy to say "yea but teams will still reach because of not having the position filled." Sure, but those numbers will be reduced. I think back to the Heat drafting Shabazz Napier, and it was linked to LeBron liking him and talking highly of them, so they draft him thinking LeBron will resign with them due to it. For the Heat, wouldn't it have been nice to know you don't have LeBron and take someone that you see fitting your team?

I also think to a situation like the Kevin Love trade. If Lebron signed with Cleveland before the draft, they would be able to trade the #1 pick without a player attached to it to Minnesota. Maybe they see Embiid's foot and draft him anyways. Maybe they like Parker in their evaluation better than Wiggins. Maybe they liked Aaron Gordon or Julius Randle much better. In 2017 possibly the Sixers-Celtics 1/3 swap never happens because possibly in FA the Sixers are able to sign a PG/SF that can play off ball and on ball like they envisioned for Fultz at the time. Then the Sixers feel no need to move up. Heck maybe they drop back some instead.

Having FA first alters the draft in so many ways for the better that they need to make it a permanent change.
    Well said

I think FA before the draft could lead to better player development. NBA Draft picks have a pretty high bust rate. I think once FA decisions were made teams would have a better feel for both the short and long term makeup of their teams. I think it would players in better position to develop on their teams.

It could lead to some mid to late lottery teams reaching to fill need over BPA. But that could also lead to those BPAs falling to the middle of the 1st round. Could make it less of a bad place to be. We always call that "stuck on the treadmill" but maybe this increases the chances of guys like Kawhi, Giannis, etc. going outside of the top 10. Could potentially make discourage teams in that range of potentially competing for the playoffs from going the other way and trying to tank instead if that was a consistent trend.

NE Patriots Forum HOF (Class of 2011)

Quote Originally Posted by hugepatsfan View Post
    I think FA before the draft could lead to better player development. NBA Draft picks have a pretty high bust rate. I think once FA decisions were made teams would have a better feel for both the short and long term makeup of their teams. I think it would players in better position to develop on their teams.

It could lead to some mid to late lottery teams reaching to fill need over BPA. But that could also lead to those BPAs falling to the middle of the 1st round. Could make it less of a bad place to be. We always call that "stuck on the treadmill" but maybe this increases the chances of guys like Kawhi, Giannis, etc. going outside of the top 10. Could potentially make discourage teams in that range of potentially competing for the playoffs from going the other way and trying to tank instead if that was a consistent trend.
    I agree with most of what you said except what I bolded. I think that happens now because teams in those positions take a player for position because they don't know if they can get it in FA. I feel as though there would be a certain amount of it no matter what (which would happen).

I put a little out there what I think would happen, but I think teams would fill the need that they see in their roster in FA to some degree, then pick differently in the draft. One that affected my favorite team that I can comment on would be the 2010 offseason. With the #2 overall pick we took Evan Turner. Then signed Tony Battie in FA. So if FA was first with a hole at SG and C (our core at that time was Holiday-Iggy-Brand), maybe we sign Battie and a SG/SF via FA. Opens us up to take Favors or Cousins instead because now we aren't looking at a hole on the roster that we need someone for, rather we are looking at BPA. That pushes a player down the board who a team might see as a BPA rather than positional need.

I think in all sports the teams that draft best tend to be teams that ID skillsets and go BPA regardless of what their actual needs are going to be (like the Celtics taking Tatum).

There is so much roster turnover in the NBA and the top players so more important in basketball than in any other sport I prefer the draft before FA.

I'd love FA before the draft. The bad teams are going to take the top player almost no matter what. So draft before or after free agency shouldn't matter for the top 10ish picking teams, outside of unique situations like golden state this year.

But for the good teams, knowing the role players you can get in FA prior to the draft could be huge.

And the point about the Wiggins/love trade is very valid. While that doesn't happen a ton, it's not super uncommon for badish teams to think they have a shot at big name free agents (cough Knicks cough) that having a draft pick instead of a player can help fill out a roster after you sign a guy or two.

Quote Originally Posted by warfelg View Post

Well said. Always hated that the NBA has the draft before FA.
    The Baker has come. Believe the hype.