Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

View Poll Results: Can a player HURT their legacy by playing past their prime?

Voters
9. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes a lot

1 11.11%
  • Yes a little

2 22.22%
  • Not at all

6 66.67%
  • Only Dwight Howard

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Can a player HURT their legacy by playing past their prime?

There have been many examples of NBA Players who played far past their prime:

MJ
    Ewing
    Vince Carter / Dirk
    Dwight Howard

Many many more. If you have other examples that you like better feel free to add them to the list!

In another thread, I claimed that a certain player's resume had booked his ticket to the top 74 players of all time list. Another poster said:

"If he had a 6 year career he may make it, the problem is the rest of his career."

It got me thinking... do other people believe that as a player continues past their prime and shows inferior skills, does that actually hurt their legacy?

I have the opinion that longevity can never hurt a career. You can definitely flatline but it doesn't take away from your prior achievements.

What does everyone else think?

Are there any good examples of players that looked like they were hurting their career and then it ended up helping?

Kristaps Porzingis
    Stronger than most 15 year old girls.

It only hurts their overall Per Game stats. And since we know how people are treating boxscores, whether they're synthetic or not, as gospel, they will perceive bad seasons later in a career as bad.

But it shouldn't affect it. Legacies are built on a player's peak usually or whether he was a significant part of championship teams.

People always like what ifs, so it makes sense that players with shorter careers may get legacy boosts in the eye of some people. But in reality they forget these guys. Cavs late 80s, early 90s had Mark Price and Brad Daugherty, two of the most underrated PG and C respectively of not only their era but of all time. Their problem? Career was shot down too early.
    Grant Hill, possibly the #2 peak in the 90s after Michael Jordan. Who remembers? Well, him and a bunch of 30+ year olds when they drink Sprite. It didn't lead to anything (ie championships) and he kept playing when he was a "scrub" as he himself said on tv from the words of his child, so that's a guy whose legacy isn't up there. Do we rate Grant Hill a top 20 player of all time if he retires in 2000? Don't think so.
    Brandon Roy, the guy who was supposed to dethrone Kobe. Just four seasons. Who even remembers this guy? Yao Ming? Everyone loves the guy but people forget how amazing he was at basketball. And he also played 7 seasons, with some injuries here and there, but he retired right after. Do we acknowledge Yao Ming as a top 100 player? Why would we do that with Howard if he had a season less?
    Do we rate Reggie Lewis as a top 15 player in the 90s? I'm pretty sure he was getting there if it wasn't for his untimely death.

To answer the poll, if I'm replying for my part, it's "usually no", but when it comes to the consensus, I guess the correct answer is "yes, a little". That's how people think, but there's also a minimum of seasons that everyone considers which differs.

Yet the question is backwards.

How many people do we actually knock off for playing longer? If anything, people value longevity a lot. It helps players reach higher all time rankings for various statistical tables.

I could get this point about Ralph Sampson and maybe Grant Hill who I mentioned above, but not for Dwight Howard or Patrick Ewing. Or Vince Carter.

Nope. It is 100% about what they did in their prime. Were they 3 peating in their prime and winning MVPs then later team hopping at the end of their career or were they going to 1 or zero finals and not winning it then team hopping at the end of their career?

Basically, I'm saying if you're good in your prime, playing later doesn't hurt you. If you're mediocre in your prime and maintain at or around that level, it doesn't hurt you.

Interestingly enough Dwight Howard was the player that inspired the thread.

Kristaps Porzingis
    Stronger than most 15 year old girls.

Absolutely. Happens regularly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    My dick is named 'Ewing'.

Quote Originally Posted by KnicksorBust View Post
    Interestingly enough Dwight Howard was the player that inspired the thread.
    I figured.

Quote Originally Posted by ewing View Post
    Absolutely. Happens regularly

Who are the best examples you think?

Quote Originally Posted by NBA all the way View Post
    Who are the best examples you think?
    Melo is a best example right now. Derron Williams also comes to mind. Moses probably hurt himself

Melo is a best example right now. Derron Williams also comes to mind. Moses probably hurt himself

Idk, Melo has never been anything in the NBA. Not a former MVP, not a former DPOY, not a former ROY, not a former champion. So what peak did he really fall off from? When should he have retired that would've maintained whatever reputation you think he had? I think that's a poor example

Can a player HURT their legacy by playing past their prime?

Idk, Melo has never been anything in the NBA. Not a former MVP, not a former DPOY, not a former ROY, not a former champion. So what peak did he really fall off from? When should he have retired that would've maintained whatever reputation you think he had? I think that's a poor example
    See the guy killed his rep. He is a 10 time all star and 7 time all NBA player and you are here saying he was never anything in the league. Iím not even a fan but he is a HOFer.

Should have retired about 5 years ago

See the guy killed his rep. He is a 10 time all star and 7 time all NBA player and you are here saying he was never anything in the league. Iím not even a fan but he is a HOFer.

Should have retired about 5 years ago

5 years ago? Oof thatís a little harsh
    Spurs Sim league
    2 time Champion 653-331

ďNever been anythingĒ lol come on now. Heís a sure fire HOF.
    Spurs Sim league
    2 time Champion 653-331

dirks final few seasons were pretty bad and it didnt matter. Same with Nash i believe.

It doesn't take away from their stats, but fans will always have a lasting image and impression on a player when they retire

Allen Iverson, Shaq, and Paul Pierce are examples of guys who milked the last bit of their NBA talent. It's not a bad thing, but it's a weird thing to see great players become role players

It just doesn't sit right for me

Quote Originally Posted by More-Than-Most View Post
    dirks final few seasons were pretty bad and it didnt matter. Same with Nash i believe.
    Nash hurt his legacy a little Dirk was so good for so long it didnít matter

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast