Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

If the Dream Team was selected solely by Talent/Fit, who makes the cut?

Isiah Thomas seems to be getting all the pub as the biggest omission and based on their career accolades, he was definitely the most decorated to not get it, but if we looked at actual ability at that point in time, is he even the best guard on his own team to choose for this roster? I know Dumars was heavily looked at because of his 2-way ability (actually made an All-NBA Selection ahead of IT to boot).
    I mentioned fit simply because it is still an important component, I know many feel Bird was past his prime but his skillset was ideal for this squad as he was like the ultimate glue guy who happened to still be an All-Star producer, hes making the team I think. So too a guy like Mullin maybe even Reggie Miller over the final guy chosen in Clyde.

First things first, Laettner is replaced with Shaq as the Collegiate Rep. Hakeem is magically eligible so feel free to include him over either Ewing or D-Rob but since its 1992, keep in mind how these players are viewed as "Talents". Both D-Rob and Ewing made All-NBA/ALL-D over Hakeem in 92 tho he would return the favor the 93 season. You decide. And thats about it.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

MY TEAM

MJ and Pippen are still the cornerstones to the doberman defense they dominated with. Charles Barkley is still here cuz he wrecked the likes of Angola on/off the court. Magic was still the best PG in the world so hes in.

So heres the starting squad thus far: Magic, MJ, Pippen, Chuck, Hakeem, with Shaq as the understudy.

After that I think DT1 has a few more shoe ins based on talent alone with Karl Malone, D-Rob and Clyde Drexler, the supplimental glue guys/shooters would prolly be Bird and Mullins, that takes care of the backups at every position. You could argue a guy like Reggie Miller or Glen Rice here too but Ill take the Legend.

So Ewing just misses out for me and that leaves only 1 last position to fill, the John Stockton role, which considering he just broke his leg (iirc), should have sat out anyways. Here are the best backup PG candidates

Joe Dumars for his aforementioned 2-way ability. Mark Price who was basically doing his own Stockton impression offensively at the time. Tim Hardaway gets lost historically, I feel like he was the best PG actually active in the NBA at the time.

IDK, who misses the cut for you that otherwise might have made it and who replaces them?

Quote Originally Posted by Chronz View Post
    Isiah Thomas seems to be getting all the pub as the biggest omission and based on their career accolades, he was definitely the most decorated to not get it, but if we looked at actual ability at that point in time, is he even the best guard on his own team to choose for this roster? I know Dumars was heavily looked at because of his 2-way ability (actually made an All-NBA Selection ahead of IT to boot).
    I mentioned fit simply because it is still an important component, I know many feel Bird was past his prime but his skillset was ideal for this squad as he was like the ultimate glue guy who happened to still be an All-Star producer, hes making the team I think. So too a guy like Mullin maybe even Reggie Miller over the final guy chosen in Clyde.

First things first, Laettner is replaced with Shaq as the Collegiate Rep. Hakeem is magically eligible so feel free to include him over either Ewing or D-Rob but since its 1992, keep in mind how these players are viewed as "Talents". Both D-Rob and Ewing made All-NBA/ALL-D over Hakeem in 92 tho he would return the favor the 93 season. You decide. And thats about it.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

MY TEAM

MJ and Pippen are still the cornerstones to the doberman defense they dominated with. Charles Barkley is still here cuz he wrecked the likes of Angola on/off the court. Magic was still the best PG in the world so hes in.

So heres the starting squad thus far: Magic, MJ, Pippen, Chuck, Hakeem, with Shaq as the understudy.

After that I think DT1 has a few more shoe ins based on talent alone with Karl Malone, D-Rob and Clyde Drexler, the supplimental glue guys/shooters would prolly be Bird and Mullins, that takes care of the backups at every position. You could argue a guy like Reggie Miller or Glen Rice here too but Ill take the Legend.

So Ewing just misses out for me and that leaves only 1 last position to fill, the John Stockton role, which considering he just broke his leg (iirc), should have sat out anyways. Here are the best backup PG candidates

Joe Dumars for his aforementioned 2-way ability. Mark Price who was basically doing his own Stockton impression offensively at the time. Tim Hardaway gets lost historically, I feel like he was the best PG actually active in the NBA at the time.

IDK, who misses the cut for you that otherwise might have made it and who replaces them?
    Terrible

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    My dick is named 'Ewing'.

They won by like 35-40 points per game. I'm sorry I can't change that roster.

Kristaps Porzingis
    Stronger than most 15 year old girls.

Hakeem makes sense but I wouldn't replace Ewing in 1992. Maybe if it were in 1994 then Hakeem over Ewing is a good idea. I would probably had taken Isiah over Stockton at the end of 1992. But if selection was September 1991 Isiah over Stockton to me is a no brainer. In fact I think Nique deserved to make it as well over Pippen who up until that time had only made one allstar game by September 1991.
    "Talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence wins championships."
    - Michael Jordan

Thanks MJ-Bulls for the picture.

Quote Originally Posted by JordansBulls View Post
    Hakeem makes sense but I wouldn't replace Ewing in 1992. Maybe if it were in 1994 then Hakeem over Ewing is a good idea. I would probably had taken Isiah over Stockton at the end of 1992. But if selection was September 1991 Isiah over Stockton to me is a no brainer. In fact I think Nique deserved to make it as well over Pippen who up until that time had only made one allstar game by September 1991.
    Hadnt considered Nique over Pippen, thats a good one too. Poor guy

Honorable mention for Mitch Richmond. He was my favorite sharp shooter back in the day.

Quote Originally Posted by Chronz View Post
    Hadnt considered Nique over Pippen, thats a good one too. Poor guy
    Nique missed like the entire 2nd half of the 92 season with an injury.

Nique was injured yeah. Chris Mullin took his spot basically.

Jordan
    Barkley
    Drexler
    Magic
    Bird
    Malone
    Thomas
    Wilkins (if still not fit, then King, who again if not fit leaves room for Worthy. Won't consider Pippen till then)
    Ewing
    Robinson
    Shaq for the college spot.
    One of Stockton, Mullin, Price, Tim Hardaway, Kevin Johnson for the last spot.

Hakeem did not have a US passport until 1993.

I'm taking Thomas over Stockton. Dude lead his team to two ships as the best player.

Always found it weird that players from one country could represent another. why would Hakeem represent the US?

Quote Originally Posted by smith&wesson View Post
    I'm taking Thomas over Stockton. Dude lead his team to two ships as the best player.
    Stockton was the better player for sure. Zeke is super overrated, he was simply the head of the snake in Detroit.

If you want the ultimate, you've got to be willing to pay the ultimate price. It's not tragic to die doing what you love.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye15 View Post
    Stockton was the better player for sure. Zeke is super overrated, he was simply the head of the snake in Detroit.
    Come on man, overrated? If anything the guy was underrated

Quote Originally Posted by NYKalltheway View Post
    Hawkeye doesnít like all that fancy dribbling

Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    My dick is named 'Ewing'.

https://olympics.nbcsports.com/2020/...ics-barcelona/

The committee was tasked with reviewing performances from the 1990-91 and 1991-92 NBA seasons.

The first 10 members of the Dream Team were announced on a selection show on NBC on Sept. 21, 1991. Those 10 players, in order of the reveal:

Magic Johnson
    Charles Barkley
    Karl Malone
    John Stockton
    Patrick Ewing
    David Robinson
    Larry Bird
    Chris Mullin
    Scottie Pippen
    Michael Jordan

Obviously Thomasí omission was much talked-about. He was the only 1992 NBA All-Star starter not among the first 10. He didnít get the 11th spot, either.

That went to Clyde Drexler, who finished second in NBA MVP voting in the 1991-92 season. When Drexler was named to the team, he was leading the Portland Trail Blazers through the Western Conference Playoffs and to an NBA Finals matchup with Jordanís Chicago Bulls.

Drexler was upset he wasnít among the first 10, questioning being passed over for Johnson and Bird, who were on the decline, and Mullin, according to ďDream Team.Ē

Other than Thomas, the top players who didnít make the Dream Team, based off All-NBA honors or All-Star voting in 1991 and 1992: Dominique Wilkins (All-NBA second team in 1991), Kevin Johnson (All-NBA second team and All-Star Game starter in 1991), Tim Hardaway (All-NBA second team in 1992) and Michael Adams (most 1992 All-Star votes among non-Dream Team players and Thomas).
    "Talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence wins championships."
    - Michael Jordan

Thanks MJ-Bulls for the picture.

Quote Originally Posted by NYKalltheway View Post
    I always see Zeke listed in the top 7-8 PGs ever. Which he isn't. He is overrated.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast