Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 89 of 301 FirstFirst ... 3979878889909199139189 ... LastLast
Results 1,321 to 1,335 of 4512
  1. #1321
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    14,490
    Quote Originally Posted by ewing View Post
    So less people? You can think your right about how we handled and admit more people would be dead today if did nothing right?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    We're in the same boat we were a month ago, are you more supportive of opening now compared to a month ago?

    We delayed the inevitable. Delaying is not stopping.
    Bachelors III . . . In the Inn. . . Lanas Garage 4/18/75 . . . lpswitch with Snake, Hards and Mendy . . .B.D.W.B. . . Ambition: I want Dooleys Job . . . Saturday Night Live . . . Bathroom Brawls . . . Living at Snakes . . . WHERE IS MUSKY. - John Tortorella

  2. #1322
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    parts unknown
    Posts
    47,570

    This is why they kneel

    Quote Originally Posted by fingerbang View Post
    We're in the same boat we were a month ago, are you more supportive of opening now compared to a month ago?

    We delayed the inevitable. Delaying is not stopping.
    So less?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Rep Power: 0




    Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    My dick is named 'Ewing'.

  3. #1323
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    14,490
    Quote Originally Posted by hugepatsfan View Post
    You said you were hopeful that this is going to lead to progress. I'm merely explaining why I'm not. I feel there are two reasons why police brutality affects African Americans disproportionately:

    1) Some cops are just flat out racist. They think African Americans are subhuman and unworthy of respect.

    2) Some officers have preconceived notions and subconscious biases. They're not "outright racists" but subconsciously they feel more nervous and threatened by African America because of a stereotype that they're more aggressive or violent. That makes them quicker to use force in a situation and escalate things.

    The first group is quite obviously not going to have a good reaction to this. They're deplorable racists.

    The second group is what I'm worried about. I think that type of cop is going to grow a lot as a result of these protests. Just human nature, we're having what feels like a national war of African Americans vs. cops. I think a lot of cops coming out of this are going to be fearful that African Americans have it out for them and they will escalate situations more quickly as a result.

    Like I said, I just don't envision this making any positive change. That's not to say I don't understand why this is happening or that I don't get the human element of it. I'm just saying what I think the ramifications will be. You're hopeful it will lead to positive chance, I think it will make things worse.
    There's almost a million cops in the US. They are comprised of normal day *******s like us and they screw up all the time. Every week there's a story about police knocking on the wrong door and shooting some innocent person.

    Every once in a while one goes "viral", essentially becomes a fad to latch on onto, and we get this stupid ****.
    Bachelors III . . . In the Inn. . . Lanas Garage 4/18/75 . . . lpswitch with Snake, Hards and Mendy . . .B.D.W.B. . . Ambition: I want Dooleys Job . . . Saturday Night Live . . . Bathroom Brawls . . . Living at Snakes . . . WHERE IS MUSKY. - John Tortorella

  4. #1324
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    14,490
    Quote Originally Posted by ewing View Post
    So less?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    In the short term, yes! I made it clear I was talking long term in the point I made that you quoted.
    Bachelors III . . . In the Inn. . . Lanas Garage 4/18/75 . . . lpswitch with Snake, Hards and Mendy . . .B.D.W.B. . . Ambition: I want Dooleys Job . . . Saturday Night Live . . . Bathroom Brawls . . . Living at Snakes . . . WHERE IS MUSKY. - John Tortorella

  5. #1325
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    31,915
    Quote Originally Posted by fingerbang View Post
    We're in the same boat we were a month ago, are you more supportive of opening now compared to a month ago?

    We delayed the inevitable. Delaying is not stopping.
    Most of cali outside of socal is in phase 2. The re open has to be slow and well thought out. In central cali they are basically hitting a phase, then revisit 15 days later, if numbers are trending how we want, we go up a phase. So cal is behind, but if you look at their numbers it makes sense they are behind.

    I dont know where you're from, but most of the country seem to be moving forward with the re open as long as the numbers allow it.



    Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    RAIDERS, SHARKS, WARRIORS

    "i don't believe in mysteries but still i pray for my sister, when speaking to the higher power that listens, to the lifeless vision of freedom everytime we're imprisoned, to the righteous victims of people of a higher position" - planet asia, old timer thoughts

    "God is Universal he is the Ruler Universal" - gangstarr (rip guru), robbin hood theory

    "don't gain the world and lose your soul, wisdom is better than silver and gold" - bob marley, zion train

  6. #1326
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Rhode Island
    Posts
    34,036
    I'm trying to promote the unpleasant and difficult discussions here because I think that's the only thing we're going to grow from.

    I think most of the good people in here are all in agreement that policing of African American communities is in dire need of reform. The system in place is designed to hurt, not help or protect, African Americans. It's more than reasonable that African Americans would have distrust and hatred for the police. It'd be unreasonable to think they wouldn't. We're all human. If you stomp all over me and family, harass us, MURDER us then I'm going to hate you.

    So if we're all in agreement that African Americans have every reason to hate and distrust the police, I think it only stands to logic that police are going to be extra on guard around them. I don't think anyone would be "comfortable" if they felt the people they were interacting with hate them.

    I asked this question earlier and no one answered... Would anyone want to volunteer to walk through an African American, inner city community that's considered a "rough area" wearing a police uniform? I think any of us are lying to ourselves if we wouldn't feel some sense of heightened risk doing that. Because all of us acknowledge that the people in that community have reason to hate that uniform we'd be wearing.

    And if you feel that heightened risk, if you see someone reach in their pocket you're probably going to react to it a little quicker than you would if you were going in more calm. That's human nature. And you gotta make that split second decision if your life is in danger or not and how you react.

    Personally, I don't think I could ever handle those situations. I'm a fearful person. You put me in tense situations and I know my nerves would get the best of me and I'd overreact. Not because I hate anyone or am violent but because I'm just not built to handle those situations.

    A lot of people sign up for the police thinking they can handle those situations. And they have to go through training to prove they can. But can you ever really, fully train someone to make those calls? Nobody in training is ever going to be killed and they know that. I don't think there's any way to truly and genuinely simulate that feeling that you may die in the line of duty.

    That's an unpleasant thing to think about but I think it's the reality in a lot of these situations. It's not pretty.


    NE Patriots Forum HOF (Class of 2011)

  7. #1327
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Rhode Island
    Posts
    34,036
    Quote Originally Posted by fingerbang View Post
    There's almost a million cops in the US. They are comprised of normal day *******s like us and they screw up all the time. Every week there's a story about police knocking on the wrong door and shooting some innocent person.

    Every once in a while one goes "viral", essentially becomes a fad to latch on onto, and we get this stupid ****.
    When we **** up at out jobs someone innocent doesn't get shot.

    And IDK about you, but if I **** up at mine bad enough they're getting me the hell outta there.

    Why do people feel the need to protect cops from being punished for the bad they do, just like everyone else is punished when they do?


    NE Patriots Forum HOF (Class of 2011)

  8. #1328
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    parts unknown
    Posts
    47,570
    Quote Originally Posted by fingerbang View Post
    In the short term, yes! I made it clear I was talking long term in the point I made that you quoted.
    Thanks. If something can kill me I try to stave it off. If your a Iím going to die someday guy thatís cool. I donít think you can expect it from everyone else


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Rep Power: 0




    Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    My dick is named 'Ewing'.

  9. #1329
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    14,490
    Quote Originally Posted by nastynice View Post
    Most of cali outside of socal is in phase 2. The re open has to be slow and well thought out. In central cali they are basically hitting a phase, then revisit 15 days later, if numbers are trending how we want, we go up a phase. So cal is behind, but if you look at their numbers it makes sense they are behind.

    I dont know where you're from, but most of the country seem to be moving forward with the re open as long as the numbers allow it.



    Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    My point is that we're in the exact same boat as we were a month ago. Things haven't become safer to open up we just delayed it a month.

    I'm suburbs outside of NY, not much has changed. People just going crazier.
    Bachelors III . . . In the Inn. . . Lanas Garage 4/18/75 . . . lpswitch with Snake, Hards and Mendy . . .B.D.W.B. . . Ambition: I want Dooleys Job . . . Saturday Night Live . . . Bathroom Brawls . . . Living at Snakes . . . WHERE IS MUSKY. - John Tortorella

  10. #1330
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    14,490
    Quote Originally Posted by ewing View Post
    Thanks. If something can kill me I try to stave it off. If your a Iím going to die someday guy thatís cool. I donít think you can expect it from everyone else


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    You and I are just as likely to get it in the coming months as we were the last two. Most people think it's been here longer than when our lockdowns started.

    Stay safe.
    Bachelors III . . . In the Inn. . . Lanas Garage 4/18/75 . . . lpswitch with Snake, Hards and Mendy . . .B.D.W.B. . . Ambition: I want Dooleys Job . . . Saturday Night Live . . . Bathroom Brawls . . . Living at Snakes . . . WHERE IS MUSKY. - John Tortorella

  11. #1331
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    31,915
    Quote Originally Posted by hugepatsfan View Post
    I'm trying to promote the unpleasant and difficult discussions here because I think that's the only thing we're going to grow from.

    I think most of the good people in here are all in agreement that policing of African American communities is in dire need of reform. The system in place is designed to hurt, not help or protect, African Americans. It's more than reasonable that African Americans would have distrust and hatred for the police. It'd be unreasonable to think they wouldn't. We're all human. If you stomp all over me and family, harass us, MURDER us then I'm going to hate you.

    So if we're all in agreement that African Americans have every reason to hate and distrust the police, I think it only stands to logic that police are going to be extra on guard around them. I don't think anyone would be "comfortable" if they felt the people they were interacting with hate them.

    I asked this question earlier and no one answered... Would anyone want to volunteer to walk through an African American, inner city community that's considered a "rough area" wearing a police uniform? I think any of us are lying to ourselves if we wouldn't feel some sense of heightened risk doing that. Because all of us acknowledge that the people in that community have reason to hate that uniform we'd be wearing.

    And if you feel that heightened risk, if you see someone reach in their pocket you're probably going to react to it a little quicker than you would if you were going in more calm. That's human nature. And you gotta make that split second decision if your life is in danger or not and how you react.

    Personally, I don't think I could ever handle those situations. I'm a fearful person. You put me in tense situations and I know my nerves would get the best of me and I'd overreact. Not because I hate anyone or am violent but because I'm just not built to handle those situations.

    A lot of people sign up for the police thinking they can handle those situations. And they have to go through training to prove they can. But can you ever really, fully train someone to make those calls? Nobody in training is ever going to be killed and they know that. I don't think there's any way to truly and genuinely simulate that feeling that you may die in the line of duty.

    That's an unpleasant thing to think about but I think it's the reality in a lot of these situations. It's not pretty.
    I dont know, I know one of the cops here and he is constantly going to the hood and helping resolve issues off the book. He clearly has a very good and trusting relation with lots of people from there.

    Of course it helps that he himself is from the hood.

    Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    RAIDERS, SHARKS, WARRIORS

    "i don't believe in mysteries but still i pray for my sister, when speaking to the higher power that listens, to the lifeless vision of freedom everytime we're imprisoned, to the righteous victims of people of a higher position" - planet asia, old timer thoughts

    "God is Universal he is the Ruler Universal" - gangstarr (rip guru), robbin hood theory

    "don't gain the world and lose your soul, wisdom is better than silver and gold" - bob marley, zion train

  12. #1332
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    parts unknown
    Posts
    47,570
    Quote Originally Posted by fingerbang View Post
    You and I are just as likely to get it in the coming months as we were the last two. Most people think it's been here longer than when our lockdowns started.

    Stay safe.
    That you Rudy Gobert?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Rep Power: 0




    Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    My dick is named 'Ewing'.

  13. #1333
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Annapolis MD
    Posts
    17,490
    Quote Originally Posted by hugepatsfan View Post
    I'm trying to promote the unpleasant and difficult discussions here because I think that's the only thing we're going to grow from.

    I think most of the good people in here are all in agreement that policing of African American communities is in dire need of reform. The system in place is designed to hurt, not help or protect, African Americans. It's more than reasonable that African Americans would have distrust and hatred for the police. It'd be unreasonable to think they wouldn't. We're all human. If you stomp all over me and family, harass us, MURDER us then I'm going to hate you.

    So if we're all in agreement that African Americans have every reason to hate and distrust the police, I think it only stands to logic that police are going to be extra on guard around them. I don't think anyone would be "comfortable" if they felt the people they were interacting with hate them.

    I asked this question earlier and no one answered... Would anyone want to volunteer to walk through an African American, inner city community that's considered a "rough area" wearing a police uniform? I think any of us are lying to ourselves if we wouldn't feel some sense of heightened risk doing that. Because all of us acknowledge that the people in that community have reason to hate that uniform we'd be wearing.

    And if you feel that heightened risk, if you see someone reach in their pocket you're probably going to react to it a little quicker than you would if you were going in more calm. That's human nature. And you gotta make that split second decision if your life is in danger or not and how you react.

    Personally, I don't think I could ever handle those situations. I'm a fearful person. You put me in tense situations and I know my nerves would get the best of me and I'd overreact. Not because I hate anyone or am violent but because I'm just not built to handle those situations.

    A lot of people sign up for the police thinking they can handle those situations. And they have to go through training to prove they can. But can you ever really, fully train someone to make those calls? Nobody in training is ever going to be killed and they know that. I don't think there's any way to truly and genuinely simulate that feeling that you may die in the line of duty.

    That's an unpleasant thing to think about but I think it's the reality in a lot of these situations. It's not pretty.
    This is a great post, but I want to highlight the bolded. Forget police, if you are an outsider and walk through an inner city African American community, you will be viewed with the same distrust that many white people have of African Americans. I used to take a few of my employees home into those rough neighborhoods, and got plenty of stares in my car as a white guy. That is, until they figured out what I was doing and wasn't a threat. I would stop and talk to one of my employee's grandparents and parents, and that's when everyone started to become more friendly.

    These housing projects have housed some of the same families for centuries. I grew up in a rural suburb equidistant from Baltimore and DC, where my grandmother's family has lived since the 1700's. I'm a third generation graduate from the local high school. Our community, which is a pretty affluent one, still has a low income housing area. It's a small waterfront peninsula where many houses will sell for high six figures and low seven figures. It's a microcosm of Annapolis and other areas where African Americans don't have a chance to grow out of it because of the systems that keep them in place.

    It's such a shame that this still occurs. This, along with how bad cops hide behind the thin blue line fraternity, is something that needs to change.

  14. #1334
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    12,787
    Quote Originally Posted by nastynice View Post
    I know, but the reality is that being black carries numerous stereotypes with it. Your response was that blacks need to take some responsibility for this.

    So I'm just curious, if someone wants to look at white people prejudice and treat them like mass shooters, do you feel whites need to take some responsibility for this?

    Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    You continue to incorporate terminology that implies all _____. Not once have I said all black people. Iím not even inferring all black man. If you think we should treat all young white males in trench coats/black clothes as school shooters, Iím fine with that. IMO, there would probably be less school shootings.

    Just to be clear, you are against all stereotypes?

  15. #1335
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    12,787
    Quote Originally Posted by hugepatsfan View Post
    When we **** up at out jobs someone innocent doesn't get shot.

    And IDK about you, but if I **** up at mine bad enough they're getting me the hell outta there.

    Why do people feel the need to protect cops from being punished for the bad they do, just like everyone else is punished when they do?
    How are doctors punished? Doctor malpractice leads to more deaths yearly than police killing.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •