Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 77 of 459 FirstFirst ... 2767757677787987127177 ... LastLast
Results 1,141 to 1,155 of 6872
    Quote Originally Posted by SiteWolf View Post
    I guess I knew it was scot not scott...didn't know of Scandanavian origin, but of course I was just being facetious

Yes, extra procedures are necessary for law enforcement because they are allowed leeways to enforce the laws that we aren't allowed under the law...while it can seem odd, it's necessary...what isn't is when they take that leeway to places it was never supposed to allow, as happened here. But, lawyers would still need to take extra care in putting these cases together or a good defense team would tear it apart.

I would think the other 3 would have varying levels of involvement, but that would be part of why the time to get thru what we know. I did find it interesting that (far as I saw) only 2 of their names were made public.
    Their names are out there, don't know if they were released officially or not.

https://www.startribune.com/a-deeper...ath/570885592/

not remotely defending him but....wouldn't you?
    (hoping his Verizon coverage doesn't reach down there so he can't tweet)
    No, and Biden isn’t either. Just need to be cautious about the protests to go to. He’s got Secret Service.
    "The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who, in times of great moral crisis, maintain their neutrality.”

-JFK

Quote Originally Posted by ewing View Post
    Do you feel better about your prejudice now?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by ewing View Post
    Do those steps include not prejudging any young black male who doesn’t look like Urkel so he can get a fair shake?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    You don’t even see your own prejudice do you?

I’m making a statement claiming black males need to stop killing each other and your response is to sarcastically reply with a smart, sweet tv character?

Is there something wrong with Urkel? Is there something with a black man being smart to you? Don’t worry Ewing, Urkel was still good at basketball too.

wait, why is antifa not equal to anti-fascist? Isn't that exactly where they got the name and what they stand for?
    If you are against fascism you are an anti-fascist, that does not mean you describe yourself as a member of Antifa. The Venn diagram is not a single circle.

Quote Originally Posted by flips333 View Post
    And why can't dealing with poverty and systemic racism be the main thrust solution to fixing those issues?

Oh wait I know... Because it makes white people feel bad. ****.
    We, as a society, need to deal with poverty and inner city crime. I’ve made this suggestion several times now. But I believe the first step in solving it would be to make all drugs legal and sell them in a state/federal store. This males street gangs irrelevant and stops the war on drugs.

This entire mess needs a very broad scope to move forward.

Suggestions……

Trump should address the nation tonight (or real soon) and say he understamds the issues but also be strong in mentioning that the violence and looting must stop. National Guard, US Regular Army whatever should be used to stop the violence.

I would recommend he set up a conference on the national level in DC to address all the problems at hand…racial inequality, police interaction with minorities, police training, use of force, jobs,, drugs, prison policy etc.

Let the Senate and House select 5-6 members (must be non partisan) each to attend the conference. Choose whomever they want. Invite civil rights leaders from across the country to attend, invite all 50 governors to attend or send a rep. Invite several cities to attend (they all can't have a rep. too many). There would probably be about 100-150 attendees.

Trump should chair the meeting personally. And stay with it until things are resolved.

Then sit down in DC and hammer the whole thing out. Everything on the table. And don't leave until it is done. Allow a reporter pool in so the public can hear where everyone stands. If someone is holding up the process, we will all know who. Televise the entire event if necessary. Any monies coming out of it should just be these issues and nothing else.

I realize that minorities have heard promises before, but this would get everything out in the open and people could be held accountable more easily.

……………

There are a little over 15,000 police/sheriff departments in the US.

Every one should have a federal employee assigned to it, to work in the department (not from home, not from some off-site office building, but actually in police HQ). These federal employees should be observers, consultants, advisors to the local police but not responsible to the local police…they are responsible on the federal level (maybe a cabinet position). This would be a great job for a retiring military person. Retiring military already have a lot of experience. Maybe even make in mandatory transferrable…two year station then move on to another police department so you cannot get too close to any local police officers. Point is…this is a very accountable position outside of the local police control. (And I know that large PDs {NY, Chi, LA] may need more than one employee.)

Set up a federal police training facility…to be attended for a period after local training has taken place just to cover interaction with local populations. Could be a 1 week course of intensive training. Send existing police to it first.

Consider consolidating many of the small PDs. Do we really need some of these small town PDs?? Some of this is already happening but not fast enough.

…………

Bottom line her is that we cannot go on like we are without massive changes.

Quote Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
    If you are against fascism you are an anti-fascist, that does not mean you describe yourself as a member of Antifa. The Venn diagram is not a single circle.
    Good illustration.

Quote Originally Posted by joeyc77 View Post
    We, as a society, need to deal with poverty and inner city crime. I’ve made this suggestion several times now. But I believe the first step in solving it would be to make all drugs legal and sell them in a state/federal store. This males street gangs irrelevant and stops the war on drugs.
    Wow. I agree with Joey on something.

I agree. We also need to not lock up non-violent criminals. And repeal mandatory minimums and 3 strikes. And not allow police to use fines/fees as budget funds.

Quote Originally Posted by Sluggo1 View Post
    This entire mess needs a very broad scope to move ...Bottom line her is that we cannot go on like we are without massive changes.
    While I have not quoted your entire post, I really do appreciate the thought and effort you put into it.

And these suggestions seem so reasonable, which they are, but only from a limited perspective: that systemic problems can be addressed effectively by instruments of that selfsame system (politicians, DC insiders, media - meh)

I do not see that as working.

The massive changes involve changing the system.
    Last edited by Crovash; 06-01-2020 at 11:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Walter_White View Post
    No, and Biden isn’t either. Just need to be cautious about the protests to go to. He’s got Secret Service.
    lol why would Biden need to? He currently holds no office
    Not saying Trump SHOULD be hiding, just said if I were him (thankfully I'm not) I'd hide, too
    gotta love 'referential' treatment

ok, get it....if you're in antifa you're anti-fascist, but if you're anti-fascist you're not necessarily in antifa

I agree. We also need to not lock up non-violent criminals. And repeal mandatory minimums and 3 strikes. And not allow police to use fines/fees as budget funds.
    I agree in some instances. Legalizing drugs will stop a lot of non violent crimes. Those which are drug related obviously.

However, while some crimes aren’t violent, they do have victims. My sister had her car stolen by a woman. The woman did so much damage to the inside of the car that the insurance company totaled it. Insurance gave her $3000 for the car which she used as a down payment on another. But now she has car payments during Covid. I’m sure this story is common. Also, Bernie Madoff was a non violent crime. I would say victimless non violent crimes need to not get jail time.

Quote Originally Posted by Crovash View Post
    While I have not quoted your entire post, I really do appreciate the thought and effort you put into it.

And these suggestions seem so reasonable, which they are, but only from a limited perspective: that systemic problems can be addressed effectively by instruments of that selfsame system (politicians, DC insiders, media - meh)

I do not see that as working.

The massive changes involve changing the system.
    while I understand what you're saying, who DO you trust TO make the needed changes?
    I mean it took generations to get to this point, we need to find ways to make huge strides towards NOT taking generations to change...at least from a systemic point.

I agree in some instances. Legalizing drugs will stop a lot of non violent crimes. Those which are drug related obviously.

However, while some crimes aren’t violent, they do have victims. My sister had her car stolen by a woman. The woman did so much damage to the inside of the car that the insurance company totaled it. Insurance gave her $3000 for the car which she used as a down payment on another. But now she has car payments during Covid. I’m sure this story is common. Also, Bernie Madoff was a non violent crime. I would say victimless non violent crimes need to not get jail time.
    Yes, and if someone is in prison they are not earning money. If they are not in prison and have a job their wages can be garnished to pay back the victims.