Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 73 of 615 FirstFirst ... 2363717273747583123173573 ... LastLast
Results 1,081 to 1,095 of 9217
    Quote Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
    I don't really know what cities are supposed to do to stop a riot. They can't reasonably let them go unchecked, but everything they try to do to stop them is criticized too.

If they fired up the military heat gun to just make everyone run away my guess is they'd get sued for the next 50 years.

If they built barricades to contain the riot they'd get sued for any injuries and fatalities that happened in the riot because they were not trying to stop it.

They are screwed if they do anything and screwed if they don't.

So, serious question. You are put in charge of say the LAPD (who have quite a long racially charged reputation), you are going to get rid of all the racists and totally fix the police to be good people only and they will never again overstep the law on anyone of any color. Now you have to stop the riots. What do you do?
    I'll go off of what happened with the riots in Baltimore City that I was (kinda) present for......I got out of the city before crazy things happened, but I was locked in Camden Yards twice.

The mayor was hoping that by trying to hold the police back, things would play themselves out. Instead, people became more bold and you had the streets on fire. That is when the governor decided to send in the National Guard. They are the military. That's when you go from police crowd control to forcefully telling people to get inside by a curfew. That viral video where people are getting hit with pepper bullets while on their porch? Yes, it's their property, but if the curfew is "inside" then they are going to enforce that specifically. At that point, the city is essentially under martial law. So that's where a lot of people are at right now, the mix between the two.

I spent 2 hours today listening to my mother in law preaching to me how George Soros is behind all the looting and hires all these looters to cause chaos. All George Soros nobody else.

Curious from Joey, brewers and crew how much that is really believed amongst the GOP community. I have to see her again Wednesday so curious to know if I should engage in a conversation with her or just continue to let her talk crazy talk.

Quote Originally Posted by Brewersfan255 View Post
    St. Johnís church is now up in flames in DC

Such ****ing animals

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The president was relocated to an underground bunker at some point. That's a bad sign when those in charge think a building that should be the most secure in the world needs to be evacuated.

Quote Originally Posted by Pierzynski4Prez View Post
    I spent 2 hours today listening to my mother in law preaching to me how George Soros is behind all the looting and hires all these looters to cause chaos. All George Soros nobody else.

Curious from Joey, brewers and crew how much that is really believed amongst the GOP community. I have to see her again Wednesday so curious to know if I should engage in a conversation with her or just continue to let her talk crazy talk.
    As someone who is conservative but not over the deep end, that is an absolute belief amongst many conservatives, especially the further right you go. He's been blamed for doing this in other situations such as the one in Baltimore in 2015. Lots of people believed that one around here.

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasTomasz View Post
    Sorry I was concerned. Even though we've never met and we dont usually get along here, I still don't want anything bad to happen to you, or anyone else period. Yours was just the first post I saw since I'm working backwards through the thread.
    I appreciate your concern even if I'm not especially concerned about the curfew in my area. What I meant in my original reply to you was basically the same aka thanks for your good wishes but the curfew doesn't really concern me or change anything in my day to day routine.
    Last edited by spliff(TONE); 06-01-2020 at 02:42 AM.

My dad mentioned Soros as the root of all this the other night.

I'll go off of what happened with the riots in Baltimore City that I was (kinda) present for......I got out of the city before crazy things happened, but I was locked in Camden Yards twice.

The mayor was hoping that by trying to hold the police back, things would play themselves out. Instead, people became more bold and you had the streets on fire. That is when the governor decided to send in the National Guard. They are the military. That's when you go from police crowd control to forcefully telling people to get inside by a curfew. That viral video where people are getting hit with pepper bullets while on their porch? Yes, it's their property, but if the curfew is "inside" then they are going to enforce that specifically. At that point, the city is essentially under martial law. So that's where a lot of people are at right now, the mix between the two.
    A near impossible balancing act, show enough force to maintain some authority, while not escalating the situation.

The next step is to get leaders and activists in the same room and talking, earn some support, write some meaningful legislation, and pour some water on this. Who knows, it could blow over next week too.

fantastic question, and what is the rap sheet on him?

Quote Originally Posted by benny01 View Post
    A near impossible balancing act, show enough force to maintain some authority, while not escalating the situation.

The next step is to get leaders and activists in the same room and talking, earn some support, write some meaningful legislation, and pour some water on this. Who knows, it could blow over next week too.
    I'm hopeful seeing some of these stories from police who are marching with protestors or at least showing their support in other ways. If that translates to holding their counterparts more accountable so these events no longer happen, I think we can begin to move forward and heal. But that process is going to be a long time.

EDIT: There are still other things that need to happen, and some of it goes beyond police, but this would be a start.

I'm hopeful seeing some of these stories from police who are marching with protestors or at least showing their support in other ways. If that translates to holding their counterparts more accountable so these events no longer happen, I think we can begin to move forward and heal. But that process is going to be a long time.

EDIT: There are still other things that need to happen, and some of it goes beyond police, but this would be a start.
    The best place to start and a huge part of the solution long term. They gotta get some easy things done and get people off the streets.

Quote Originally Posted by hugepatsfan View Post
    I know Barstool sports isn't exactly the go-to for a lot of people's politics but I thought the founder made a great point. He talked about how when he sees police officers, he doesn't feel scared and he was saying our goal needs to be to get to a place where African American people can feel the same way where they view cops as protection and not threats.

I think to get there we need to look at the opposite too. We need to get to a place where cops don't feel threatened by African Americans. There's a deep history of prejudice against African Americans. There's this perception that they're lazy, they're uneducated, etc. But the strongest one is that they're violent or that they're criminals. I don't know how we really break that cycle.

Would anyone here like to be a black man in a hoodie right now walking through a group of cops? I'm sure someone will say "bUt Im Not DoInG aNyThInG wRoNg WhY wOuLd I bE sCaReD???". I'll respond to that ahead of time... take a DEEP look inside and consider everything you've seen in life. Can you honestly say with a straight face that there's not the strong possibility that you're stereotyped and followed, questioned, harassed, or worse?

But now I'm also going to ask another difficult question... would anyone here like to sign up to wear a police uniform and walk by themselves through an inner city, mostly African American community right now? Considering the climate of what's going on right now can you honestly say you feel safe in that situation? Can you honestly say you wouldn't feel some heightened sense of risk there?

I don't think we can have any peace between the police and the African American community until we fix those answers. It has to start with the police. African American distrust of the police is comes from generations of deep rooted racism. That can never go away. The African American community is going to be apprehensive and distrustful of the police for the rest of our lives. We can't skip over that. We can't pretend that's not real. You're not going to snap your fingers and call a truce all of a sudden. That's not real life, it doesn't work like that.

There's no quick fix to systematic issues. I think the first step that any of us can take is to see people as individuals. There's a saying of "I don't see color" that is often criticized for being tone-deaf and ignoring the plight of minorities. I think we need to shift that saying not to that we don't see color but that we aren't influenced by it. I think we should all see people for who they are as human beings. And part of that is acknowledging their color and all that it entails. I think we have to see their color and even if we can never really "understand" what that means we can be empathetic to the climate of the world we're all seeing and recognize what they might think of things.
    You've always been a reasonable voice around these forums. I appreciate that. I agree with what you have had to say here and I hope that everyone takes the time to read it.
    Chicago Cubs ē Chicago Blackhawks ē Buffalo Bills ē Southern Illinois University Salukis

Naomi Osaka ē Angelique Kerber ē Bianca Andreescu

Quote Originally Posted by nastynice View Post
    You dont even realize it, you are looking at black culture and calling it criminal culture. Wearing a du rag is a black culture thing. But I'm sure if you and others like you see a black person with a du rag you see it as a criminal culture thing. You are asking black people to change their culture. That's a very ignorant thing to do.

No, I have never went around denouncing terrorism. Certain muslims voices do, yes, but certain black voices also denounce inner city violence. So if that is the bar then your requirement has been met, has it not?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Iím not calling black culture a criminal culture. Criminals, violent criminals, are perpetrating the stereotype that black people are violent. Iím saying this has to be part of the change if black people want that stereotype to go away.

If someone hits you in the head every day and one day you finally call them a bully. Then they tell you to stop calling them a bully while they continue to hit you in the head everyday. You would think that in this case, both behaviors need to change. Itís the same with the stereotype that young black males are dangerous.

To use your Muslim example: do you think if there was a terrorist attack in the US every week, the Muslim ban or some version of it wouldnít have happened?

Wait so a black person shouldnít dress in a way you find threatening because that is the easier route than making white people think that maaaaybe not every black person dressing in a way they donít like isnít a criminal? Are they armed in this style of fashion?

What do you fear more, an unarmed black person whoís shorts might be sagging just a bit, or a white guy with most certainly a rather large beard carrying an assault rifle?

Would you prefer if a Muslim didnít wear a hijab either just to make you feel better?
    Iíve already pretty much answered this in previous posts.

The bottom line is, stereotypes exist for a reason and in some cases, it takes two sides to thwart a stereotype.

Quote Originally Posted by benny01 View Post
    Iím not watching a cartoon.