Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 72 of 635 FirstFirst ... 2262707172737482122172572 ... LastLast
Results 1,066 to 1,080 of 9519
    Quote Originally Posted by benny01 View Post
    Now's as good a time as any to be down on us. Fortunately I hear some first world countries in africa are gonna throw us a benefit concert.
    I hope they book a true, American icon like Drake or Nickelback!

Quote Originally Posted by debo View Post
    I hope they book a true, American icon like Drake or Nickelback!
    Haha. If it ain't nickleback it ain't american.

This is why they kneel

Quote Originally Posted by spliff(TONE) View Post
    Curfew starting tonight and going for a whole week where I am.
    I bet you know who is pretty pissed about the curfew given out to his town. Oh wait... allís good at Tim Hortons!

Quote Originally Posted by nastynice View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, you are essentially saying that since it has statistical backing, it is ok for prejudism to occur against blacks?

No, muslims have not made an effort to distance ourselves from radicals or terrorists. How would we even do that? Wear an anti bin laden t shirt for a week? My sister in law wears hijab, did she distance herself enough..?

You keep going back to these stats in this argument. I already mentioned a while back, while stats may be good to illustrate a point, if this argument boils down to stats to you then you are missing the point.

The point is many black individuals face considerably more pressure in their lives based on their skin color and nothing more. They face it because of a systemic prejudism against individuals based on statistics. They want this to change. To me that is a 100% reasonable thing to ask for to be changed. You yourself agreed they face this issue. Why you're response is anything other than agreement with what they are asking for, I dont understand.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    The stereotype that young black males who look, dress and act a certain way are dangerous must change. But that change must come from both sides. Yes, individually speaking, white people can/should make an effort to look past this stereotype. However, individually speaking, young black males can/should make an effort to not fit this stereotype. Itís a two sided stereotype.

Muslims make an effort simply by denouncing terrorism. They realize as much as anyone that terrorists soil their religion and make like difficult for them.

My point is, black people are not the only ones to deal with stereotypes/prejudice. Being prejudice is practically a given. Itís a defense mechanism we use to avoid danger and dangerous situations. Again donít confuse prejudice with racism. Both are real and yes, black people have/do face racism but itís mostly on a individual level. I can see where racism could hold down black people if utilized systemically. But prejudice cannot. Anyone can break a prejudice. If black people want this prejudice to change than change....
    Last edited by joeyc77; 06-01-2020 at 12:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SiteWolf View Post
    but that's exactly the reasoning behind my saying to resolve the real problem, we all have to have an understanding of other viewpoints, other perspective.....if I can't understand why you feel about something, how can I understand all the adjustments I need to make........
    Well in the conversation of institutionalized racism against blacks, we ALL should have an understanding of blacks viewpoint. Any other race's viewpoint is moot, it makes no difference. The institutionalized racism is against blacks, THAT is the injustice, THEY are the ones who face it, so it is their perspective which should be understood. Not yours or mine.

RAIDERS, SHARKS, WARRIORS

"i don't believe in mysteries but still i pray for my sister, when speaking to the higher power that listens, to the lifeless vision of freedom everytime we're imprisoned, to the righteous victims of people of a higher position" - planet asia, old timer thoughts

"God is Universal he is the Ruler Universal" - gangstarr (rip guru), robbin hood theory

"don't gain the world and lose your soul, wisdom is better than silver and gold" - bob marley, zion train

Curfew starting tonight and going for a whole week where I am.
    Sorry to hear that, hope you stay safe out there. DC is going crazy tonight so itís here too.

I dont see the system as WHO so much as what. A capitalist system which has made it's way into the prison justice system. A very recent history involving an entire race of people being treated as non human. Theres a lot of facets to it.

Its deeper than a "police problem". Its an every facet of life problem. Think about what affirmative action is. How racist must a system be that a few decades ago we had to push something called affirmative action just to try and bring some balance to things. That's an inherently racist system. You dont think we have remnants of slave ownership in this system created by slave owners?

Even right now, you dont think any democrat money is funding some of this chaos? Cmon, we already know the formula. This is election year..

Anyone who lives near a true housing project with title one schools and systematic ways of life for decades knows this. Itís a shame that many people are born into this and they deserve every opportunity to break free. Sadly very few do.

Quote Originally Posted by joeyc77 View Post
    The stereotype that young black males who look, dress and act a certain way are dangerous must change. But that change must come from both sides. Yes, individually speaking, white people can/should make an effort to look past this stereotype. However, individually speaking, young black males can/should make an effort to not fit this stereotype. Itís a two sided stereotype.

Muslims make an effort simply by denouncing terrorism. They realize as much as anyone that terrorists soil their religion and make like difficult for them.

My point is, black people are not the only ones to deal with stereotypes/prejudice. Being prejudice is practically a given. Itís a defense mechanism we use to avoid danger and dangerous situations. Again donít confuse prejudice with racism. Both are real and yes, black people have/do face racism but itís mostly on a individual level. I can see where racism could hold down black people if utilized systemically. But prejudice cannot. Anyone can break a prejudice. If black people want this prejudice to change than change....
    You dont even realize it, you are looking at black culture and calling it criminal culture. Wearing a du rag is a black culture thing. But I'm sure if you and others like you see a black person with a du rag you see it as a criminal culture thing. You are asking black people to change their culture. That's a very ignorant thing to do.

No, I have never went around denouncing terrorism. Certain muslims voices do, yes, but certain black voices also denounce inner city violence. So if that is the bar then your requirement has been met, has it not?

"i don't believe in mysteries but still i pray for my sister, when speaking to the higher power that listens, to the lifeless vision of freedom everytime we're imprisoned, to the righteous victims of people of a higher position" - planet asia, old timer thoughts

"God is Universal he is the Ruler Universal" - gangstarr (rip guru), robbin hood theory

"don't gain the world and lose your soul, wisdom is better than silver and gold" - bob marley, zion train

This is why they kneel

Wait so a black person shouldnít dress in a way you find threatening because that is the easier route than making white people think that maaaaybe not every black person dressing in a way they donít like isnít a criminal? Are they armed in this style of fashion?

What do you fear more, an unarmed black person whoís shorts might be sagging just a bit, or a white guy with most certainly a rather large beard carrying an assault rifle?

Would you prefer if a Muslim didnít wear a hijab either just to make you feel better?

https://youtu.be/-ARt4v-USk4

Quote Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
    I don't really know what cities are supposed to do to stop a riot. They can't reasonably let them go unchecked, but everything they try to do to stop them is criticized too.

If they fired up the military heat gun to just make everyone run away my guess is they'd get sued for the next 50 years.

If they built barricades to contain the riot they'd get sued for any injuries and fatalities that happened in the riot because they were not trying to stop it.

They are screwed if they do anything and screwed if they don't.

So, serious question. You are put in charge of say the LAPD (who have quite a long racially charged reputation), you are going to get rid of all the racists and totally fix the police to be good people only and they will never again overstep the law on anyone of any color. Now you have to stop the riots. What do you do?
    I'd straight bust heads. I'd arm cops with rubber bullets and have them clear any area being looted.

I'd also have my entire police force holding black lives matter signs [emoji41]

I'd straight bust heads. I'd arm cops with rubber bullets and have them clear any area being looted.

I'd also have my entire police force holding black lives matter signs [emoji41]

You have to arrest anyone and everyone looting. Draw back drastically your attention to the protests and let them continue as long as they want. Focus your attention on the morons looting just for the sake of free ****.

I know Barstool sports isn't exactly the go-to for a lot of people's politics but I thought the founder made a great point. He talked about how when he sees police officers, he doesn't feel scared and he was saying our goal needs to be to get to a place where African American people can feel the same way where they view cops as protection and not threats.

I think to get there we need to look at the opposite too. We need to get to a place where cops don't feel threatened by African Americans. There's a deep history of prejudice against African Americans. There's this perception that they're lazy, they're uneducated, etc. But the strongest one is that they're violent or that they're criminals. I don't know how we really break that cycle.

Would anyone here like to be a black man in a hoodie right now walking through a group of cops? I'm sure someone will say "bUt Im Not DoInG aNyThInG wRoNg WhY wOuLd I bE sCaReD???". I'll respond to that ahead of time... take a DEEP look inside and consider everything you've seen in life. Can you honestly say with a straight face that there's not the strong possibility that you're stereotyped and followed, questioned, harassed, or worse?

But now I'm also going to ask another difficult question... would anyone here like to sign up to wear a police uniform and walk by themselves through an inner city, mostly African American community right now? Considering the climate of what's going on right now can you honestly say you feel safe in that situation? Can you honestly say you wouldn't feel some heightened sense of risk there?

I don't think we can have any peace between the police and the African American community until we fix those answers. It has to start with the police. African American distrust of the police is comes from generations of deep rooted racism. That can never go away. The African American community is going to be apprehensive and distrustful of the police for the rest of our lives. We can't skip over that. We can't pretend that's not real. You're not going to snap your fingers and call a truce all of a sudden. That's not real life, it doesn't work like that.

There's no quick fix to systematic issues. I think the first step that any of us can take is to see people as individuals. There's a saying of "I don't see color" that is often criticized for being tone-deaf and ignoring the plight of minorities. I think we need to shift that saying not to that we don't see color but that we aren't influenced by it. I think we should all see people for who they are as human beings. And part of that is acknowledging their color and all that it entails. I think we have to see their color and even if we can never really "understand" what that means we can be empathetic to the climate of the world we're all seeing and recognize what they might think of things.

NE Patriots Forum HOF (Class of 2011)

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasTomasz View Post
    Sorry to hear that, hope you stay safe out there. DC is going crazy tonight so itís here too.
    Thanks but I don't give a flying ****.

Thanks but I don't give a flying ****.
    Sorry I was concerned. Even though we've never met and we dont usually get along here, I still don't want anything bad to happen to you, or anyone else period. Yours was just the first post I saw since I'm working backwards through the thread.